Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The train is a metaphor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I'm not even getting into how the T-rex managed to eat everyone on board the ship and in the cabin despite being locked inside. Unless there were some other dinosaurs the film never mentioned.

There are. The scene was cut from the film, but originally the crew would have been eaten by stealth raptors. How the raptors got free, or how they released the T-Rex, well...I guess that's anybodies guess.

For content: almost every time the University of California, Los Angeles shows up in film, we will see the students being lectured by a professor in the same loving room. You know the one: it is a long hall with old wooden furniture and a stone floor with a black-and-white checkers pattern. It is invariably a class on poetry, and at the end of it the professor will tell their students that papers are due next week.
My problem with this is that (and I know this irrational, but hey! that's the thread!) those lectures are always of a level that a 6th grader could understand them. Yes, I know comparative literature is not the most thrilling field to see in action, but the UCLA has a pretty renowned literature department and this is just silly. Oh, and bonuspoints if the teacher is prof. McDreamy Beefcake who romantically recites a poem while everyone in the class looks bored with the exception of our protagonist, who finds this speaks to his/her sensitive soul. So not only are these English/comparative literature students attending a class for morons, but they are also bored to death by the prospect of a poem.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

dpack_1 posted:

Don't they briefly explain this by saying it uses the snow it plows as a clean water source as well as a way of cooling said super infinite energy machine?

So it has to skate around the world at high speed to work or some poo poo?

It was a global ice age. Snow and cold are not something they have to circle the globe to get. Just a build a bunker so everything doesn't have to be in a straight line.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Sobatchja Morda posted:

For content: almost every time the University of California, Los Angeles shows up in film, we will see the students being lectured by a professor in the same loving room. You know the one: it is a long hall with old wooden furniture and a stone floor with a black-and-white checkers pattern. It is invariably a class on poetry, and at the end of it the professor will tell their students that papers are due next week.
My problem with this is that (and I know this irrational, but hey! that's the thread!) those lectures are always of a level that a 6th grader could understand them. Yes, I know comparative literature is not the most thrilling field to see in action, but the UCLA has a pretty renowned literature department and this is just silly. Oh, and bonuspoints if the teacher is prof. McDreamy Beefcake who romantically recites a poem while everyone in the class looks bored with the exception of our protagonist, who finds this speaks to his/her sensitive soul. So not only are these English/comparative literature students attending a class for morons, but they are also bored to death by the prospect of a poem.
Observe a class of college freshmen taking a basic lit gen Ed some time. You'll understand why they need things explained at a very basic level and why they look so bored.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God drat it do I hate movies that do the whole "start sentence- jump cut to a different scene -finish sentence" thing. As if a real person would just hold in the last two words of a sentence until the exact right moment when something else is happening.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Squalitude posted:

Out of interest, how do you know all this? I saw the last 5 minutes of it while I was waiting for something else to start on the TV channel, and it was absolutely insufferable and terrible- but then I knew that it must be when I read the blurb for the film. How did you get through the entire film..?

I watched the film more than a year ago, i saw it with some friends (i didn't pick it) otherwise i wouldn't have bothered. At the time i saw the actual film i had recently travelled to Ireland so i was even more familiar with the wrong shots and geography. I stayed with a friend who lived there and stayed there for two weeks. As he lived in a town smack dab in the middle of Ireland, we went to some of the places the film is supposed to depict and i got familiar with the the routes of trains and busses and stuff (we travelled alot those two weeks, and with no car it was basically trains and busses all the way). It's how i noticed the carst cliffs in the beginning of the film actually were the ones on the Aran islands, and not, as it's in the film, in Dingle. Never went to Dingle, but i did go to Aran.

Also the anachronistic stereotypes became extra glaring for that reason. I'll name one: the roadtripping protagonist couple have to pretend they're married when they need to stay at a BnB because the lady owner is a catholic fundie. Like any owner of a BnB in recession Ireland is going to turn away tourist couples who aren't married.

TLDR: Watched the film iwth company and thus didn't pick it, and recently having been to Ireland before watching the film made the flaws even more glaring and memorable.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Jun 20, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Falukorv posted:

Also the anachronistic stereotypes became extra glaring for that reason. I'll name one: the roadtripping protagonist couple have to pretend they're married when they need to stay at a BnB because the lady owner is a catholic fundie. Like any owner of a BnB in recession Ireland is going to turn away tourist couples who aren't married.

Not Ireland but there was a British B&B owner who refused to rent to a gay couple for religious reasons a few years back.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

Not Ireland but there was a British B&B owner who refused to rent to a gay couple for religious reasons a few years back.

Turning people away from an inn: Exactly what Jesus wanted.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey, he had to sleep in a barn, why can't they? Are they better than JESUS? :colbert:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

dpack_1 posted:

Don't they briefly explain this by saying it uses the snow it plows as a clean water source as well as a way of cooling said super infinite energy machine?

So it has to skate around the world at high speed to work or some poo poo?

More or less. If I'm remembering it right, the entire reason the perpetual motion engine is on a train is because the motion of the train in an unending loop is part of what keeps it perpetual. And the designer really liked trains. So the same engine couldn't just be hooked up to a bunker and work. It has to keep moving itself to maintain itself.

In other words: Magic.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

CJacobs posted:

God drat it do I hate movies that do the whole "start sentence- jump cut to a different scene -finish sentence" thing. As if a real person would just hold in the last two words of a sentence until the exact right moment when something else is happening.

Some show(Archer I think) made fun of that.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Gaunab posted:

There was an episode of the Simpsons where the Army was running a wargame in which the objective was to capture Homer. Homer hides out at Moe's Bar, where Moe assures him that nothing the Army does will convince him to betray Homer. So then they do the thing CJacobs was complaining about :

"Hey, some things mean more to me than money..." [cut to Moe receiving a huge stack of cash from the general hunting Homer] "Like a whole lot of money!"

To which the general asks, "Why did you just say that sentence fragment?"

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Gaunab posted:

Archer does it literally all the loving time though, except the first and last bit of the sentence are said by two different characters, or sometimes it's just the second character makes a comment thats sounds like a response to whatever the first character said. That's my Irrationally Irritating Archer Moment. In my opinion it stopped being funny or clever after the first 50 times.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Die Hard is one of my favorite movies ever, but it bugs me every time they show the scene where they call Stockholm syndrome "Helsinki syndrome."

Why?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coffee And Pie posted:

Die Hard is one of my favorite movies ever, but it bugs me every time they show the scene where they call Stockholm syndrome "Helsinki syndrome."

Why?

It could have been intentional, to point out that the so-called "terrorism expert" wasn't very good at it.

Or it could be an error. It's an 80s action movie, after all.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
It's a well known blooper. Though I like Kozmonaut's theory on it being intentional, there has never been any indication that was the case.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I believe a similar mistake was made in an episode of Babylon 5.

I'm wondering if it was a legit mistake, or a nod to Die Hard.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I always assumed some berk at the studio assumed they'd get a stern letter from whoever held copyright on stockholm syndrome.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Why?
I've watched Die Hard, and I thought that was just something they did on Top Gear as a dumb joke. :saddowns:

"Well, what's Helsinki Syndrome?"
"It's when you're an idiot and get Sweden and Finland mixed up."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The expert who says Helsinki syndrome has a book called "Hostage Terrorist / Terrorist Hostage: A Study in Duality" which is an obvious joke on academia. I always assumed it was intentional that he's talking out of his rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7VHiz1V7Fs
(0:45 and on)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Wikipedia says it's a common mistake but it's not clear which is the cause and which is the effect.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

Archer does it literally all the loving time though

Figuratively! Figuratively all the loving time.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

FightingMongoose posted:

Figuratively! Figuratively all the loving time.

What about all the time that's not for loving?

Literally, despite its meaning, doesn't always have to be used literally. Literally can be used figuratively and people should stop being such prescriptivist babies about it.:ssh:

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
It's a running joke on Archer, but I'm aware that I looked like a child when I made it.:ssh:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Thor 2, does the movie explain how Loki is imitating Odin at the end or where the real Odin is?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

oldpainless posted:

In Thor 2, does the movie explain how Loki is imitating Odin at the end or where the real Odin is?

Nope, though the implication is pretty obvious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

oldpainless posted:

For the first part, Loki can change shape.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

oldpainless posted:

It's a classic "what happens depends on business stuff." Hopkins has said he's not going to play Odin again. Obviously if they convince him to change his mind, he will be alive and in part 3. If he doesn't, Odin is dead. None of this makes the end any less jarring than if they had just gone with something definitive.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

muscles like this? posted:

For the first part, Loki can change shape.

I always thought it was illusion rather than physical change.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

I always thought it was illusion rather than physical change.

In the movies you see him use illusions but its unclear on whether or not he's physically changing things when he does so. In the comics he can definitely actually change his shape to be other people.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Including a female horse. Complete with carrying sleipnir to term!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

nucleicmaxid posted:

Including a female horse. Complete with carrying sleipnir to term!

This happened in a Marvel published comic as well as mythology?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

This happened in a Marvel published comic as well as mythology?

It happened but as something characters have talked about happening in the past. There aren't issues of Thor where Loki is running around as a pregnant horse.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

It happened but as something characters have talked about happening in the past. There aren't issues of Thor where Loki is running around as a pregnant horse.

Well that's mildly disappointing if only for the sheer absurdity of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also currently Loki is going through a weird phase where he's not quite the same as he's been in the past so he can only shapeshift into versions of himself.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MrJacobs posted:

Well that's mildly disappointing if only for the sheer absurdity of it.

It would certainly attract a new demographic. That they couldn't get rid of. No matter how hard they tried.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Esroc posted:

More or less. If I'm remembering it right, the entire reason the perpetual motion engine is on a train is because the motion of the train in an unending loop is part of what keeps it perpetual. And the designer really liked trains. So the same engine couldn't just be hooked up to a bunker and work. It has to keep moving itself to maintain itself.

In other words: Magic.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but in the original albums it's made clear that the Snowpiercer is not capable of running eternally.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

oldpainless posted:

Why is it Thor can see through his bullshit in the cell but not when he's posing as Odin?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

Why is it Thor can see through his bullshit in the cell but not when he's posing as Odin?

It wasn't really Thor literally seeing through the magic, Thor just knew Loki would be a broken mess after their mother's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

mng posted:

I was watching Back to the Future the other night and it reminded me of one of my peeves: Actors not looking like they are playing an instrument correctly. Fox did OK for the most part, but when he suddenly isn't holding onto the strings, or he's sliding up or down the neck while the pitch is going the opposite way it stands out. And it equally stands out nicely when actors know how to play/fake it enough to look good to the casual observer.

This can also go horribly wrong. In Buffy The Vampire Slayer (TV) any scenes with Oz' band playing feature Seth Green on guitar, and he looks like he learnt to play the guitar for that role so he didn't appear to be faking when on camera.

The result is a 'professional' band rocking out on stage while the guitarist looks like he's playing Bad Moon Rising at his 6th grade recital.