Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

xie posted:

For 2 years I paid $1.70 a pound for a service to pick up my laundry from my apartment, wash/dry/fold it, and return it to my apartment. :smith:

It's me. I'm the bachelor who was bad with money. I've also done the "buy more underwear" thing once or twice.

I first read that as $1.70 a week and wondered why it was bad. Then I reread and saw $1.70 a lb. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

xie posted:

For 2 years I paid $1.70 a pound for a service to pick up my laundry from my apartment, wash/dry/fold it, and return it to my apartment. :smith:

It's me. I'm the bachelor who was bad with money. I've also done the "buy more underwear" thing once or twice.

As a bachelor, I often run the cost/benefit analysis of hiring a maid to come in once every two weeks.

Then I get lazy and never do anything about or clean.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

xie posted:

I do this now. Although it's only $1/pound and I need to drop it off myself. Having a W/D in and around NYC is a luxury I don't have and going to the laundromat at 10pm isn't something that fills me with joy, so I'll pay the $50/month or whatever I spend.

Still, the next time I move it's high on my list on wants.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If I didn't have an in-unit W/D I would totally use a per-lb laundry service. Screw laundromats, my time is worth more than $1.xx/lb.

Also I just hate doing laundry, especially folding, and I could easily afford it.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I take my work clothes to the cleaners and wash my regular clothes at home. I'm not good at ironing so my slacks and shirts end up much better when they press them. I can't get a crease in my slacks to look near as sharp as they do. I fortunately have plenty of work clothes so I only end up wearing a shirt or pant like four times between cleanings, and the place I use regularly has sheets of 30% off coupons, and 25% off weekend drop offs.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

nickutz posted:

I take my work clothes to the cleaners and wash my regular clothes at home. I'm not good at ironing so my slacks and shirts end up much better when they press them. I can't get a crease in my slacks to look near as sharp as they do. I fortunately have plenty of work clothes so I only end up wearing a shirt or pant like four times between cleanings, and the place I use regularly has sheets of 30% off coupons, and 25% off weekend drop offs.

Pants OK, but shirts? Only wear those once man. It is pretty obvious if a shirt has been worn before.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's not really that difficult to learn how to iron a shirt. You're never going to get it as perfect as they do, but you can get it done well enough.

At the very least, you could hang the shirt up on a plastic hangar while showering and let it even out a bit from the steam.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

spwrozek posted:

Pants OK, but shirts? Only wear those once man. It is pretty obvious if a shirt has been worn before.

Nah, even to this day, I cycle between suit shirts, and have them cleaned after about three times...if you don't spill anything on them and wear an undershirt, no one can tell. Just make sure to hang it up immediately when you get home after work.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

LorneReams posted:

Nah, even to this day, I cycle between suit shirts, and have them cleaned after about three times...if you don't spill anything on them and wear an undershirt, no one can tell. Just make sure to hang it up immediately when you get home after work.

Yeah, this. Undershirts and a little care and you can easily and unnoticeably stretch a dress shirt for a few wears between cleanings.

Helps that I'm at 3 different work sites each week so nobody's the wiser :getin:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Same. It's me, I'm the goon.

But seriously, gently caress wearing a shirt only once before taking it to the dry cleaner.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
The gently caress? You get your shirts dry cleaned after each wear unless you're an animal.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am OK posted:

The gently caress? You get your shirts dry cleaned after each wear unless you're an animal.

Agreed. Although I usually go with the cheap route of wash and press. Actually I usually just wash and iron them myself.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I have more shirts than pants so they get worn less frequently between cleaning. Unless I actually get it dirty I'm not washing it after a single wear. I can iron a shirt decently so I do that at home between cleaner visits.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

I am OK posted:

Not if you wear a full undershirt.

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

I am OK posted:

i don't sweat cause i'm an anime

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
I took up washing and ironing my own shirts because I got sick of the dry cleaner destroying my buttons.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I think my gf belongs in this thread.

She simply has no self control. Gets money, sees shiny thing, money is gone. Her bank account is always close to zero, owes me 400e and mooches her sister and her parents. It simply has never crossed her mind, you know, having a budget and spending what she earns.

Good think she pays no rent and has no debt (thanks to filthy, communist European public education). Well, HAD no debt, because as an independent contractor she probably thought that telling the agencies that hired her thar she was paying her taxes directly to the tax authorities, and the tax authorities that the agencies were paying her share of taxes was very, very clever.

The tax agency took a couple of years to figure her out, but needless to say, they did.
And here's the thing, she lost sleep for a couple of weeks over the massive, unlubricated assrape that the tax agency was going to effect on her, and the very same day, THE VERY SAME DAY when she discovered that the fine was going to be just very big, instead of enormous, she was all "Have you seen this overpriced pairs of earrings? Which one should I buy?".
I had a hard time not losing it but I think my face showed.

But I would love to hear your views on how to deal with this.

In September (since things are a bit crazy right now, lots of work, we are temporarily living in different places etc.) I'm going to sit down with her and explain that I think that being on the same page financially is important for the LT prospects of a couple. And also that I don't care how she burns her spend money, but that she must have her taxes and bills covered, and, preferably, start saving for retirement.

What I am going to propose is to go to a financial planner and establish a budget for both of us (since I want to avoid guilt trips, singling her out or anything like that, I think it would be counter-productive).

Thing is, I feel kinda of ashamed to say it, but I feel that her disastrous finances could certainly be a dealbreaker.

So questions:

1. What do you think of how I'm going to go about it? Any advice, any suggestions?
2. Can people even change? The deal is, she's never, ever had to think about money, she's never been exposed to a lack of it. And kind of treated like a child by her parents.

Get me constructive answers and I will come back to this thread and speak about my parents' financial unmanagement.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Of course her lovely financial mindset is a deal breaker. don't feel bad about it. You should also tell her this. Also do not ever share accounts / sign anything with her, until she learns to handle money. Stop lending her money as well, you are just making it worse.

If it was my girlfriend, I'd tell her that until she sorts herself out, there is no way in hell our relationship will go forward. Hopefully that is enough to make her start changing. If not, it's just as well you break up.

Edit: I don't think it's as much of guilt tripping as it is telling the truth.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 20, 2014

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Dump her. Why inflict yourself with all the stress of becoming her financial adviser? There's a 100% chance of her resenting you for telling her she can't have nice things. Until she has fulfilled her obligations she knows you're going to resent every discretionary purchase-and she will make many of them.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Sever. Part of being in a healthy relationship is being responsible enough to not gently caress over the other person.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Relationships must have a strong foundation of trust. Sure, everyone makes mistakes, but get actions show a willful disregard for financial well-being.

The number one thing couples argue about is money. I would probably consider this a huge red flag and end the relationship.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Ok guys, but lemme ask, should I also sever and get therapy? ;)

More seriously though: I know you are right and it's a red flag. I'm obviously not co-signing anything, having a joint account or lending her any more money (if I've managed to tell my parents to gently caress off and clean up their act, my gf is small potatoes).

That said, I, you know, love her, and so I think it's worth giving it the best possible shot, I mean, having the conversation and all. That's why, by the way, I was asking about what you thought about my plan of attack. I don't think that going the ultimatum route would work, no one reacts well to an ultimatum, to my mind.

So yeah, I know I have to break up if this goes unsolved, but before we get to that, what do you think of my plan, and can it be improved?

(although I guess that, if you are telling me to break up, that implicitly answers both of my questions. Can I get a round of answers in which the assumption is that I will try not to break up with her?).

edit: Ah someone said "sever already" ;)

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 20, 2014

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Dawncloack posted:

More seriously though: I know you are right and it's a red flag. I'm obviously not co-signing anything, having a joint account or lending her any more money (if I've managed to tell my parents to gently caress off and clean up their act, my gf is small potatoes).

That said, I, you know, love her, and so I think it's worth giving it the best possible shot, I mean, having the conversation and all. That's why, by the way, I was asking about what you thought about my plan of attack. I don't think that going the ultimatum route would work, no one reacts well to an ultimatum, to my mind.

So yeah, I know I have to break up if this goes unsolved, but before we get to that, what do you think of my plan, and can it be improved?

(although I guess that, if you are telling me to break up, that implicitly answers both of my questions. Can I get a round of answers in which the assumption is that I will try not to break up with her?).

I think it's worth a shot, though you should recognize it's a somewhat long shot and will take long term attention to permanently adjust habits. I think you're coming at it from the best possible angle when you say:

Dawncloack posted:

In September (since things are a bit crazy right now, lots of work, we are temporarily living in different places etc.) I'm going to sit down with her and explain that I think that being on the same page financially is important for the LT prospects of a couple. And also that I don't care how she burns her spend money, but that she must have her taxes and bills covered, and, preferably, start saving for retirement.

What I am going to propose is to go to a financial planner and establish a budget for both of us (since I want to avoid guilt trips, singling her out or anything like that, I think it would be counter-productive).

The "both of us" thing is important. I'd recommend instead of saying retirement savings is "preferable", it's "mandatory" though, even if it's a small amount at first.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If she's not independently wealthy and eating beans and rice for every meal to save more, BFC says sever.

Definitely talk to her about finances. See if she's actually able to change. If not, she's probably too financially irresponsible to be in a relationship with.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Dawncloack posted:

Replace words as necessary.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Jesus Christ you goons. I was a financial trainwreck when I started dating my wife and she still have me a chance. I proposed two months after paying off my student loans. Give the poor girl a chance to change. Also maybe a Dave Ramsey book.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

MrKatharsis posted:

Jesus Christ you goons. I was a financial trainwreck when I started dating my wife and she still have me a chance. I proposed two months after paying off my student loans. Give the poor girl a chance to change. Also maybe a Dave Ramsey book.

Seriously man. She didn't save but wasn't in debt until the tax snafu.

She most likely can put it together.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, this. Undershirts and a little care and you can easily and unnoticeably stretch a dress shirt for a few wears between cleanings.

Helps that I'm at 3 different work sites each week so nobody's the wiser :getin:

I knew a guy in the Air Force who told me he'd never washed his BDUs, the ones he was issued in Basic. This was over 3 1/2 years after he'd enlisted. They looked flawless. He was rotating them and airing them out.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

FrozenVent posted:

Replace words as necessary.

There's a universal version.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

spwrozek posted:

Seriously man. She didn't save but wasn't in debt until the tax snafu.

She most likely can put it together.

Let's be clear, the tax snafu was a knowing and willful effort to avoid paying taxes. It wasn't like she just oopsed and filled out a form wrong.

I'm surprised it didn't carry criminal penalties in her country.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

El_Elegante posted:

Let's be clear, the tax snafu was a knowing and willful effort to avoid paying taxes. It wasn't like she just oopsed and filled out a form wrong.

I'm surprised it didn't carry criminal penalties in her country.

I am surprised too that they didn't nail her harder. Glad though, that's my job.

That said, I overstated the situation: I did present it as a willful and knowing attempt, it was knowing, but I'd argue it wasn't willful. It was more "Oh I save myself filling forms". Which doesn't excuse anything obvs.

One thing is clear, if she can't be an adult about that, it's over. I will not get together with not-adults.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Dawncloak, have a nice sit down with her like you said, and phrase things in a way that sounds something like "I love you and I want this relationship to move forward, but your poor financial habits are standing in the way. Let's address this issue together, mature through the process, and become happier more successful people. rather than "I can't be with you unless you stop being an idiot with money"

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?

VideoTapir posted:

Air Force...never washed his BDUs...They looked flawless.

Yep, Air Force confirmed.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Anyone who uses this is terrible with money. Get $10 of quarters mailed to you each month for $15.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Craptacular posted:

Anyone who uses this is terrible with money. Get $10 of quarters mailed to you each month for $15.

Holy crap that's awful. I can't even conceive of using that. Can't go to the bank once a month or two or six or whatever just pick up enough quarters for a long time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"Banks have long lines and close early".

What! Go to the bank once, get 50 in quarters. DONE.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Banks have long lines and close early".

What! Go to the bank once, get 50 in quarters. DONE.
I find going to the bank during the day that isn't a Friday or 15th/30th makes it NBD... That said, I've never gone to a bank to GET quarters, but rather GIVE them (deposit) coins... If you needed quarters, doesn't the grocery store give them to people? I remember seeing someone buy a roll of quarters from a grocery store in PDX before...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Once in a while, I go to the convenience store, buy a thing, pay with a twenty and ask for my change in quarters and loonies. Boom, laundry money.

I'm the laziest motherfucker alive, so if I can do that...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
What kind of dumpy laundromat doesn't have a quarter exchanging machine on premises? Unless it's a shared laundromat in your apartment complex, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Unless it's a shared laundromat in your apartment complex, I guess.

What kind of building doesn't have a laundry room?

My landlord got fed up of the laundry room getting broken into, removed the coin machines and just switched to collecting like $10 cash a month per person living there or whatever. Illegal, I suppose (Since it's constructively a rent increase) but goddamn was it ever convenient.

Then some people had to gently caress it up because planning for having $20 cash laying around...

• Locked thread