Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

b0red posted:

I got mine from eBay for $500 and it comes with an odyssey case and all of it is new. The seller is unique squared. Check it out. Dunno if zzsound can beat that. Really love the table. The bass response on the trackmaster v3 needle it came with is awesome but I'm gonna get a ortofon set probably.

was it a one off or are there more? care to post the link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Crunchtime posted:

was it a one off or are there more? care to post the link?

It's some reseller. It came completely new. Never opened. Not refurbished. Basically like I ordered it on amazon or zzsound and it got shipped to my house. Comes with the track master v3 which has stupid bass response. Not that I'm complaining since I like to spin dubstep/bass music. It was just really surprising when I first put a record down and hard to turn my sub down a lot.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/390862534297?nav=SEARCH

b0red fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 14, 2014

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
This isn't a particularly technical question, but it is about DJing.

I know how to make a setlist that starts out good and ends good and is consistent throughout the middle, but I've never had to be particularly adventurous. I just end up sticking with what the venue likes played, and while I'm decent at staying in the lane, I never really had to learn how to read a room because convincing drunk girls to dance to Lil Jon is easier than convincing drunk girls to drink. Now that I'm getting into remixing, I might want to (very VERY occasionally) play something that I did, but all the stuff I'm remixing is a bit far removed from top 40 (I thought it'd be fun to try and cram Goa trance down industrial rock's throat because I'm a 90s kid).

I know that no one goes to the club to hear the DJ's stuff, I'm not naive enough to think that I matter. I'm just wondering if I'd need to actively become a Goth club DJ to be able to spin this poo poo (not going to happen until I stop enjoying Dirty South, Goths are notoriously against rap where I'm from), or if there's some way to slip the softer stuff through everyone's radar. I know I'm not going to get anyone moshing to Blue Stahli anytime soon, but maybe like NIN?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
First and foremost: recording Ableton output into a video recording suite is a pain in the rear end. I gotta learn video editing and audio leveling next, but hopefully this shows what I do with my Ableton setup better than my last video. The audio isn't blown out by a PA running in my bedroom, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNsxmgwpJYQ

Let me know if you have any slick ideas for the disabled buttons I have open for customization on the controller. What I want to do is use a button to split a loop into four segments for one-shot playback. Additionally, as mentioned in the video, I want to use the bottom eight buttons on the controller for a slicer style setup, too. Thanks for any help and let me know if I'm missing anything!

Edit: Goddammit didn't export at HD. I'll re-up later with the same video at a higher definition.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 15, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Heck of a weekend! Sold my volcano and bought an APC40. Just after I bought the APC40, someone posted a pair of Mackie MR8 MK2s for $200 (for both!) on Facebook. I'm gonna be eating a fun combo of eggs, peas, pasta and PB&J sandwiches until July 2nd. Totally worth it.

My abysmal setup situation...
DDJ-SX: MR8 speakers plugged into the left and right booth monitor outputs through instrument cables. Alternatively I could plug them into master output 2 via RCA, but I'm not really sure which is better. I'm leaning towards RCAs through Master Out 2 simply because it makes more sense as my MR8s are the "main speakers" and I don't technically have booth monitors. USB connects the controller to the computer, obviously.

APC40 just goes right to the computer via USB. AUX to RCA cable running from my desktop's speaker jack to the RCA port on channel 4 of my SX. Channel 4's CD option simply plays whatever comes out of my computer.

Objective: I'd love to be able to record to Ableton from Serato/DDJ-SX. Is this possible? My ideal situation would be to have a track playing on Track 2 of my DDJ with the computer/APC40 running right back to Track 4.

I'd like to be able to cue track 2, listen in on my headphones and live record/loop/sample on my APC40.

Any suggestions on what I should change?
Any resources out there to help me accomplish this?
Anyone have any experience with running an APC40 through a DJ controller's channel?

I'm totally lost and feel as though my whole process is hosed. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any nice, easy APC40/Ableton quickstarty type videos that would be great too.

cname fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 17, 2014

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.
I'm actually looking to do a pretty similar setup to yours cname, although I've got an APC20 and an NS6. You can probably take your RCA out from your DDJ-SX and use an RCA to 1/8th cable to plug it into the microphone/line in port on your computer, and then in software route that microphone/line in into Ableton. This works pretty well with Resolume (A VJing app), but I'm not sure about Ableton. The only potential problem is that the sound originally generated from Ableton might create some kind of positive feedback loop once its rerouted back into Ableton for recording. That may or may not be an issue, I haven't tried it myself. It would be simpler and easier just to record everything in Serato.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
While we're on the topic, I'm going to whip up a test Ableton set using my Novation Remote SL as a controller. There's only 1 row of 8 pads I can use to trigger clips but I think that should be sufficient if I can figure out how to map other buttons to scrolling around my clips in Ableton.

Does anyone have experience with creating more complex mappings like that? It might take me reverse engineering some other templates to get the right commands for Ableton but I'm plenty practiced with that since I've created templates for all my synths and drum machines.

Also with the Remote SL, has anyone ever gotten the crossfader control to work properly? From my experience the crossfader is only workable with an Automap template but I've gotten around it before by mapping a regular fader as a crossfader. Awkward but works.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Capn Sasquatch posted:

I'm actually looking to do a pretty similar setup to yours cname, although I've got an APC20 and an NS6. You can probably take your RCA out from your DDJ-SX and use an RCA to 1/8th cable to plug it into the microphone/line in port on your computer and then in software route that microphone/line in into Ableton. This works pretty well with Resolume (A VJing app), but I'm not sure about Ableton. The only potential problem is that the sound originally generated from Ableton might create some kind of positive feedback loop once its rerouted back into Ableton for recording. That may or may not be an issue, I haven't tried it myself. It would be simpler and easier just to record everything in Serato.

UGH! You're ahead of me here. Had to edit my post because the RCA is actually an RCA to 1/8th cable going from Channel 4 to the speaker jack on my computer.

Now I'm thinking I may need another RCA to 1/8th because my logic had missing pieces.

Here's what I may need to make happen...

RCA to 1/8th running from channel 3 to a line-in on my computer. Music goes from channel 3 through the computer, through Ableton and out from the computer to channel 4 through a line-out port connected to the RCA to 1/8th cable. Basically... see the red line. Red line(s) = RCA to 1/8th...

Song plays on Channel 3, which outputs to a line-in on the computer, while at the same time playing live via the Booth monitors. Ableton is set to record from said line-in coming from channel 3. Once recorded, I can then play it back from Ableton to channel 4.

Is this possible? Crazy? Am I making things way harder than they need to be?

Starting to think I need to simply learn the drat software, first. But also I'm struggling to figure out which audio channel is which color and what those symbols mean next to the 1/8 soundcard ports on my computer.

cname fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 17, 2014

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I think all the connectors inside the CH1-4 boxes are inputs into the Pioneer. I don't think you can use any of those connectors to output audio like you have diagrammed with CH3 and the red cable. The only ports that output audio are the Main Outs and Booth Out.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Just picked up a xone 22 at a real good price on eBay. New as well. Shame I got outbid on a ecler nuo 2.0. Still looking forward to the xone since I've heard so much about the filters.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Splinter posted:

I think all the connectors inside the CH1-4 boxes are inputs into the Pioneer. I don't think you can use any of those connectors to output audio like you have diagrammed with CH3 and the red cable. The only ports that output audio are the Main Outs and Booth Out.

Capn Sasquatch posted:

The only potential problem is that the sound originally generated from Ableton might create some kind of positive feedback loop once its rerouted back into Ableton for recording.

Now it all makes sense why my idea can't work. Hopefully Pioneer will make a bridge program for Serato. The most I'd be able to do is have Ableton/My computer outputting sound through one of the channels.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.
Yea channel 3 is an input, but if you moved the red cable in your diagram from channel 3 to the master out it might work.

Balloon Time Hooray! fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 17, 2014

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm not 100% clear on what you're trying to do, but I think there's 2 approaches you can take:

a) Route Live into one of the Pioneer channels using the line out from your computer into one of the channel inputs on the Pioneer. Connect your speakers to one of the Pioneer's output channels. With this approach, you should be able to cue and mix sounds from Live using the DDJ-SX alongside any tracks you play from the DDJ-SX software (Serato?). The DDJ-SX software should have the ability to record whatever you're hearing from the speakers (which will be a combo of what you're doing in Live & the DJ software).

b) Route the output of the Pioneer to the line in on your computer. Connect your speakers to your computer. Route the signal from the Pioneer to a track in Live. From Live you can then trigger additional sounds on other tracks, and/or process whatever sound you're receiving from the Pioneer before it gets routed to the speakers. All of this can be recorded in Live. With this approach, you'd only be able to cue the tracks triggered in the DDJ-SX software from the headphone jack on the DDJ-SX.

BTW, if you're using the onboard sound card on the computer rather than an audio interface, you may encounter some noticeable latency with either of these setups.

With approach a, you could potentially use a master out to route what you hear back to Live (via the computer's line in), but latency would probably be too high to make this useful for anything besides recording the Pioneer's output with no additional processing (in which case you may as well skip this step and record from the DDJ-SX's software).

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Yea, gonna just stick with option A. My crazy dream idea basically revolved around an old software for Scratch Live called "Bridge" or something which turned the APC into a MIDI for SL. (I think)

Anyway, I'm trying to set up Ableton so I can import a song, hold a button to record a loop, let go to close the loop/bind said loop to said button, press button again to play loop and press button again to stop loop.

Any guides or templates you guys would recommend?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

cname posted:

Yea, gonna just stick with option A. My crazy dream idea basically revolved around an old software for Scratch Live called "Bridge" or something which turned the APC into a MIDI for SL. (I think)

Anyway, I'm trying to set up Ableton so I can import a song, hold a button to record a loop, let go to close the loop/bind said loop to said button, press button again to play loop and press button again to stop loop.

Any guides or templates you guys would recommend?

Store a loop on the file with Serato DJ then drag that loop to the SP6.

edit: I think you can do the same thing with auto loops as well. Another option is to use decks 3 and 4 and instant doubles.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 18, 2014

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

cname posted:

The Bridge lets you load Live sets into decks in SSL (which you can then control with your APC) and save SSL performances into a Live set which you can then edit and add on to in Live, all without having to do any external cable routing. But it doesn't work with Serato DJ (yet).

And yeah, like TheWevel said, is there any reason you can't use Serato DJ for looping? If you can get that to work for you, I think it'll be a much smoother workflow than running Live at the same time.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Splinter posted:

And yeah, like TheWevel said, is there any reason you can't use Serato DJ for looping?

As far as I can tell, there's no way to store loops as samples or have samples loop, unless you save a recording. You can only have one loop, per track playing at once.

If there was a way to bind loops to the beat pad, that would be awesome, but as far as I can tell, there isn't.

Basically, I'd like to be able to store loops on the pad somehow so when I press one of the pad buttons it plays the loop and when I press it again, it turns it off.

I get that I could start recording to start the loop, stop recording to stop the loop, name it, save it, load it as a sample and set the sample to loop, but that's way too much bullshit to deal with.

Ideally, I could do something like use the auto-loop feature to create the loop and hit a button on the beat pad to bind said loop to said button. Hit the button again to play the loop and again to stop.

Maybe there is a way and I just don't know about it. If so, I'd love to hear it but Googling has brought me nothing.

Edit: Found a half-decent thread in the Pioneer forum. As he puts it "allocate the loops to the pads"

http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/22502153-Can-the-DDJ-SX-Save-and-Store-Loops-

cname fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 20, 2014

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I use Traktor, so I can't help you there.

One thing to consider: if you go with the setup where you route the audio from Live out of the computer into an input on your controller, SDJ's and Live's clock will not be in sync. If you trigger a loop in Live in time with what you're hearing from the speakers, the loop will not be in sync with the tracks you're playing in SDJ by the time in reaches the speakers (due to latency).

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
My buddy knocked up his girlfriend and popped out a couple of kids, which means his turntables, mixer and battle records are now mine. The only thing I don't have are cartridges: any recommendations for a basic cartridge & headshell to learn to scratch on?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
M44-7

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

terre packet posted:

My buddy knocked up his girlfriend and popped out a couple of kids, which means his turntables, mixer and battle records are now mine. The only thing I don't have are cartridges: any recommendations for a basic cartridge & headshell to learn to scratch on?

Something with the least amount of wear per needle and the ability to put a lot of weight on it. Make sure you properly align all your poo poo or you'll have bad sound quality and it'll wear your records a gently caress load.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Cart of champs.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Okay alright fine, jeez. I ordered them. Can't wait to get my wicky wicky on.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You'll like em. I run Whitelabels which are somewhat similar and the tracking on them is excellent. M44-7's track even better.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Soundcloud news: http://doandroidsdance.com/features...ning-one-month/

:rolleyes: at them giving universal free reign

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

terre packet posted:

Okay alright fine, jeez. I ordered them. Can't wait to get my wicky wicky on.

You won't regret it. Moving to vinyl has made DJing way more fun to me than it was when I was doing digital. The whole aspect of crate digging, difficulty, knowing a tune inside and out has made mixing way more fun for me. Crate digging is always hilarious though when you come up to the register with a massive stack of 45's or dollar bin records and the store owner's eyes light up until he realizes that you are just moving stock that he has wanted to get ride of for the last few years. They always seem so apathetic with my purchases but man do I find some real gems in the random shops I've hit in the DMV area.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
How the hell did labels get so much power again? My memory is hazy but I feel like labels/RIAA didn't have this much power a couple years ago to control this stuff. Suddenly Universal has the ability to remove whatever they want on Soundcloud?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

keevo posted:

How the hell did labels get so much power again? My memory is hazy but I feel like labels/RIAA didn't have this much power a couple years ago to control this stuff. Suddenly Universal has the ability to remove whatever they want on Soundcloud?

They've adapted.

:(

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

So much for soundcloud being the place for remixes, mixes, and bootlegs.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

b0red posted:

So much for soundcloud being the place for remixes, mixes, and bootlegs.

I thought Mixcloud has been the place for DJ stuff for a while now because of this poo poo. Although I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they get to Mixcloud as well.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I have a mixcloud account as well, but I still prefer to put mixes on SC, for a couple of reasons. I feel like it reaches more people, the statistics system is nice, and I feel like people are more likely to listen to my originals if they're right there next to a mix. Also, and maybe this is just me (and the fact that most of my uploaded mixes are really long) but Mixcloud's compression loving sucks.

This is really lovely news if it means significantly more scrutiny on DJ mixes and related content. The 40-second copyright algorithm is easy enough to fool but this is scary. I want to see some follow-up on the gentleman who was flagged directly by Universal.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I just don't understand why they target mixes. Sorry for giving your musicians more exposure? The only thing mixes do is help the music industry. No one is going to decide to not purchase a track because they can go listen to it mixed in a 2 hour set somewhere, but they sure as hell might buy it because they heard it on their favorite DJ's soundcloud. Meanwhile the 90% of people that never buy tracks are at least getting exposure to the artist's name/label/etc.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I think it's because the higher ups in record labels who do stuff like this are senior citizens who don't know what the internet is or how it works

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

It's frustrating, for sure. I had renewed my pro account again earlier this year that I've had since they came out of beta. I was on there as part of the original beta way back in 2008.

After this year I seriously doubt I will renew pro again. I'll drop it to a free account and put what I can up there, but it's no good for long-term storage of content when stuff can get yanked at any time with no warning. I'll just host that poo poo on my own web hosting and leave it at that

It's a shame too, because you really can't beat the analytics, the social/sharing/feed aspects of discovery, and the player/widget

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

roboshit posted:

I thought Mixcloud has been the place for DJ stuff for a while now because of this poo poo. Although I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they get to Mixcloud as well.

A lot more people listen to music on soundcloud than mixcloud. You have a much farther reach of audience.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I finished setting up the 1200s today. The left one plays great, the right one skips. The tonearm on the right turntable seems to have a lot of force pushing towards the outside edge of the platter, and I can't figure out how to adjust that. This video shows the difference when I just rest the tonearm on the slipmat. What doohickey do I need to twist or flip to fix this?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

terre packet posted:

I finished setting up the 1200s today. The left one plays great, the right one skips. The tonearm on the right turntable seems to have a lot of force pushing towards the outside edge of the platter, and I can't figure out how to adjust that. This video shows the difference when I just rest the tonearm on the slipmat. What doohickey do I need to twist or flip to fix this?

What's anti-skate set at? It needs to be 0 for DJing. Otherwise it looks like you need new parts.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
It's at 0. Tonearm does the same thing when anti-skating is set to 3. I'm not handy at all, so I guess I'll start doing research on a place that does turntable repair. Any recommendations in the San Diego area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
There's a ton of places. I'll PM you when I get home.

fake edit: I can't pm you. What's your email? I'm gonna send you phone numbers of guys who do repairs