Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hazo posted:

I don't think I'll ever understand why racist white conservatives are so convinced that not being able to say the word "friend of the family" is somehow reducing their quality of life.

The best thing is that they are perfectly allowed to say it. I mean, the state won't come and put you in prison or fine you or anything as long as you're pontificating about black people rather than abusing an individual. It's just that a lot of people and companies don't want to have any association with you whatsoever if you do. It's as if your choices will have consequences and they might be negative for you. Nope, can't have that for straight white guys I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Oh no, you can't say the N-word without negative consequences. It's almost like the people that word has been used to systematically denigrate had a whole civil rights movement or something.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I hear that ISIS has seized Saddam's chemical weapons factory. Rush reported this yesterday and was all "I thought they didn't HAVE chemical weapons?!?!" Am I missing something or did they just seize a factory. I haven't read anything about weapons. Of course we knew he had loving factories, Rush.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea, here's a shocker:

Rush Limbaugh is a loving retard.

http://www.dailysabah.com/mideast/2014/06/20/isis-seize-former-chemical-weapons-factory-in-iraq

It was a chemical weapons factory.

Before the first Gulf War.

After that it was used to destroy chemical weapons.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They're going to use that factory to destroy the chemical weapons evidence under the orders of Obama to make Bush look bad.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Radish posted:

They're going to use that factory to destroy the chemical weapons evidence under the orders of Obama to make Bush look bad.

We've come a long way down that this is what people actually believe rather than a parody of what they believe. :sigh:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Re: Advertisement for the Franky and Izzy Show on the Answer 560 AM, I feel like I'm listening to a Grand Theft Auto radio parody.

edit: what Axetrain said.

It's like the Tea Party, especially the furthest right members of it, have literally become caricatures of themselves at this point. What do you get when the caricature becomes reality? Joe Walsh and Allen West and Louie Gohmert et al

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
He's right. You should be dumped for saying Redskin.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What do you get when the caricature becomes reality?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I've got to admit that it peeves me as a writer that racial slurs are somehow becoming unacceptable for the purpose of marking characters as racist in settings where that makes sense, such as the Deep South. That combined with the "censoring classics for schoolchildren" issue suggests to me a broader cultural front of purging nastiness so thoroughly that even artistic depiction of nastiness is verboten (for example, some more radical voices seem to be under the impression that acknowledging the existence of rape in fiction is inherently a promotion of it), but given their history on artistic expression I seriously doubt that that's what conservatives are going on about.

If you're a decent writeer, you can find other ways to signal that a character is racist without having them drop slurs. It's cliched anyway.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I still believe that picture is Dana Carvey in a wig.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It's cliched anyway.

It also perpetuates the myth that nothing is racist until a "magic word" comes out. Rand Paul can talk poo poo on the "lazy urban youth" all day and get a pass because he stopped short of using that word.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I keep forgetting that this actually happened, and then I see this picture. It's like a more nightmarish version of losing the game.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

El Fappo posted:

Did he call her Reagan there at first? That's a super weird Freudian slip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7f189Z0v0Y

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
This is the only version of Walsh's show from yesterday I can find online, and I'm not hearing any of this hilarity you guys are talking about. Is this the sanitized version or something? https://soundcloud.com/wnym-joewalsh/the-joe-walsh-show-thursday-6-19-14

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go look on the last page. ErIog linked everything and provided a few timestamps.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

If you're a decent writeer, you can find other ways to signal that a character is racist without having them drop slurs. It's cliched anyway.

Except real racists do drop slurs and if you're writing real characters then they should too. I haven't seen anywhere that this is becoming taboo, though, especially to the degree that the original guy was complaining about. I mean they censored Huck Finn, but that was because it's commonly taught to grade school children who don't necessarily understand the context and might be uncomfortable, not because writers can't use slurs in general anymore.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

The Rokstar posted:

This is the only version of Walsh's show from yesterday I can find online, and I'm not hearing any of this hilarity you guys are talking about. Is this the sanitized version or something? https://soundcloud.com/wnym-joewalsh/the-joe-walsh-show-thursday-6-19-14

Ha ha, they spliced out everything after the first tape delay dump and put some older show in its place. Everything after 35 minutes in your clip is some other show. They're trying as hard as they can to scrub it off the internet.

Here's a relatively complete version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJcs8EEvCcs

probably wont last long

Phone posted:

Go look on the last page. ErIog linked everything and provided a few timestamps.

The station finally found and killed all of those links

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Good Citizen posted:

Ha ha, they spliced out everything after the first tape delay dump and put some older show in its place. Everything after 35 minutes in your clip is some other show. They're trying as hard as they can to scrub it off the internet.

probably wont last long

The station finally found and killed all of those links

I'm about to leave but I'm... archiving this, for... historical purposes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

probably wont last long

I hope people have made quite a few copies of that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I guess we shouldn't really be shocked that everyone to the right of Giuliani doesn't see an inherent problem in going back and trying to literally re-write history or destroy evidence of poo poo they've said. The loving vice president from 2000-2008 is, as we speak, running around trying to tell everyone what a grand success the Iraq war was. After that trying to pretend you weren't crying on air about how not being able to use racial insults is the ultimate injustice is small potatoes.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I wonder where he was going and what he thought he could accomplish without the PC-police. What if Joe Walsh was on the verge of solving racism, and all we had to do was spot him a few racial slurs? Now we'll never know.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Naet posted:

I wonder where he was going and what he thought he could accomplish without the PC-police. What if Joe Walsh was on the verge of solving racism, and all we had to do was spot him a few racial slurs? Now we'll never know.

This is why straight white men must be silenced at all costs. If they were allowed to make their irrestibly logical, slur-laden arguments complete, the sham of the civil rights movement would be exposed and minorities would have no option but to agree to be called names and like it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Regarding the redskins, TCOT True Conservatives On Twitter tag decided to come up with new names and gawker published many of them.

quote:

The Washington Gay Guys*
The Washington Spineless Politicians*
The Washington Benghazis*
The Washington Reagans*
The Washington Sluts*
The Washington LGBT Muslim Communists*
The Washington Girly Men ("in honor of" Barack Obama)
The Washington Muslim Brotherhooders*
The Washington Elizabeth Warrens*
The Washington Criminals ("after all the criminals in our Govt!")
The Washington Hissy Fits*
The Washington Ambassadors ("in honor of Ambassador Stevens !!" - @tedscuba)

http://gawker.com/the-washington-benghazi-gay-guys-tcot-renames-the-red-1593105053

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey good one guys. "The president is a girly man"

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Naet posted:

He got basically what he wanted. He got to demonstrate that he got cut off by the station whenever he said "friend of the family" and "spic", but not when he said "redskin", thus somehow proving that redskin is not offensive.

It's stupid, but it's clearly what he's thinking.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

Hey good one guys. "The president is a girly man"

What's funny is how Obama is probably the most in shape president we've had for a really long time. It's just loving weird.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Regarding the redskins, TCOT True Conservatives On Twitter tag decided to come up with new names and gawker published many of them.

http://gawker.com/the-washington-benghazi-gay-guys-tcot-renames-the-red-1593105053

Speaking of which, #tcot stands for True Conservatives, right? What's the "t" at the end for?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
On Twitter.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Buckwheat Sings posted:

What's funny is how Obama is probably the most in shape president we've had for a really long time. It's just loving weird.

Even his smoking is indicative of unmasculine weakness of character to some people. Masculinity is literally a ouija board of projection and pathology for people.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

Speaking of which, #tcot stands for True Conservatives, right? What's the "t" at the end for?

top conservatives on twitter

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The Washington Hissy Fits is really ironic.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I think the president is a girlyman because I watched him do an exercise that my brain literally cannot comprehend because I have never seen a weight room. Lifting is just about benching hundreds of pounds, right? Why would you ever do anything else unless you are a wimp?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Phone posted:

On Twitter.

BraveUlysses posted:

top conservatives on twitter

Ohhhh.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's true/top conservatives on Twitter because the whole idea of classism is really appealing to authoritarians for some odd reason.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Buckwheat Sings posted:

GWB was just as fit, so I'm not sure what definition of long time you are using. The only difference is Bush was born in 1946, Obama in Kenya 1961.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Except real racists do drop slurs and if you're writing real characters then they should too.

Nobody's stopping anyone from using slurs in language, it's just a choice an author has to make. If you don't want to deal with the potential consequences, showing instead of telling is the better option than complaining that political correctness ties the hands of art.

thefncrow posted:

He got basically what he wanted. He got to demonstrate that he got cut off by the station whenever he said "friend of the family" and "spic", but not when he said "redskin", thus somehow proving that redskin is not offensive.

It's stupid, but it's clearly what he's thinking.

It's like listening to a child testing the limits of language by seeing which dirty words get him a spanking.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 20, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

E: ^^^ Yeah, that.

Listening to the clip and the thing Joe Walsh doesn't seem to get because he's a loving idiot child is that he's making two completely separate arguments.

He starts out by trying to argue that "redskin" isn't an offensive word because it doesn't carry the same social weight as the N-word, and then transitions into complaining about the weight the N-word has by contrasting it with other offensive slurs that aren't AS offensive. So which does he want, for all slurs to be as bad as the N-word or for all slurs to be as permissible as redskin? I don't think he knows, he's just "testing boundaries" like a five year old.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
While hilariously having an on-air confrontation with his direct superior and employers.

Rarely is there such a sterling example of an entitlement-fueled meltdown. He's aghast that there are limits on his behavior.

I love especially how he keeps framing it as an "honest, adult conversation" like his employers are both dishonest and childish, as well as he's just speaking the truth and asking normal questions but for some reason these people have problems with n-bombs on the radio?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

While hilariously having an on-air confrontation with his direct superior and employers.

Rarely is there such a sterling example of an entitlement-fueled meltdown. He's aghast that there are limits on his behavior.

I love especially how he keeps framing it as an "honest, adult conversation" like his employers are both dishonest and childish, as well as he's just speaking the truth and asking normal questions but for some reason these people have problems with n-bombs on the radio?

I guess he doesn't think the FCC will fine the station if that stuff gets on-air (they definitely will) or anything. No siree. Not like station and program managers lose their jobs over that sort of thing.