Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

Hog Butcher posted:

Gothic exists primarily to give From Software's non-Souls games competition on worst controls.

if you keep at it, eventually it comes together. its pretty rough starting out though

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

i tried to get into gothic (2 I think?) about five times but i remember it had terrible voice acting and every single time i'd end up skinning wolves in generic forest for hours because i didn't know what else i was supposed to be doing

does it actually have a good story or anything worth bothering with

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

No, and like you said the voice acting (english) is really bad. I played it with the expansion, which significantly ups the difficulty, and had to cheese every fight to get through it. Like MW it has a cool world to explore, though. But barely any lore attached to it as I remember.

play gothic 1. 2 is way jankier early on in the game and doubly so if your playing with the expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
are gothic's controls better on a controller? they seem designed for it and then forced over to keyboard/mouse

Dec 26, 2012

i played gothic 1+2 90% with keyboard only, only really using the mouse when not in any danger, so probably. the main thing is getting used to holding the main button then pressing forward/left/right/back to do things and that might be a little awkward on controller at first

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LaTex Fetish posted:

nah I never played it man. I might check it out, but magic: the gathering takes up all my money and time so I don't know if I can fit it in my schedule

http://www.gog.com/game/ultima_underworld_1_2
:wtc: its less than a pack of magic come on step it up

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Mortimer posted:

http://www.gog.com/game/ultima_underworld_1_2
:wtc: its less than a pack of magic come on step it up

drat this actually is pretty cheap, but i don't think I can sell it later like I did with my mint goyf i pulled a couple years back. got 180 bux for it

might think it over though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anyone who thinks daggerfall's character generation was anything less than incredible is massively gay, and a turd too

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

anyone who thinks daggerfall's character generation was anything less than incredible is massively gay, and a turd too

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

It's good, I just think it's really easy to exploit it. But then again, so's almost every other game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

if morrowind had character creation like daggerfall :circlefap:

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

if morrowind had character creation like daggerfall :circlefap:

With OpenMW, this may be entirely possible.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

the broken systems are one of the good parts of tes tbh

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Upmarket Mango posted:

the broken systems are one of the good parts of tes tbh

Step1: Drink 1000 jugs of Sujamma
Step 2: Punch God in the face
Step 3: Morrowind.exe has stopped working

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Minarchist posted:

Step1: Drink 1000 jugs of Sujamma
Step 2: Punch God in the face
Step 3: Morrowind.exe has stopped working

i think once you've drunk 1000 jugs of skooma you've become god, thus your suicide is past the engine's limitations

necroid
May 14, 2009

great game good thread and these are loving fantastic

Blue Raider posted:

i usually see those pics you posted in the same place as this balmora one. im not sure who drew what but there are a lot of these more realistic interpretations of morrowind locations and they cool

Blue Raider posted:

found some more

ald ruhn silt strider, sadrith mora, and seyda neen in that order

Blue Raider posted:

more for you loving nerds to sperg out over

skyrim has been such a disappointment but I don't think I'll ever reinstall Morrowind in tyol2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

necroid posted:

skyrim has been such a disappointment but I don't think I'll ever reinstall Morrowind in tyol2014

lol if you ever uninstalled morrowind bitch

necroid
May 14, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

lol if you ever uninstalled morrowind bitch

I had it on my recently dead 2004 laptop you skag

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

i install morrowind even if i dont intend to play it i feel like my computer is missing a critical component it without the game on my hdd somewhere get on my level s'wit

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Your computer is generally more stable with Morrowind installed, because all the bugs go to Morrowind folder to live. It's their natural habitat you see.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

'Read the thread, installed Morrowind again, tried overhaul, hosed it up halfway, redid everything and now i made a Khajít with all the cool magic schools and unarmed/unarmored.

Robbed the warehouse, fought some mudcrabs and man that guy that said the tax collector is hard to find in all the new foliage wasn't kidding.

Also the water edges look kinda weird with white pixels all over the place but i guess it's something with AA or whatever, but i can deal with this cus i have more important things to do, like robbing banks, selling skooma and jumping all over the place.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
and the book of nerevar did say that he could be heard approaching by a rapid thunking sound, for nerevar was scarcely connected to this world and yearned desperately to leave it through a ritual of rapidly hopping everywhere, all the time

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
does anyone remember arwen's morrowind journal? the part where she immediately dies because she's trying to stab a mudcrab with a lockpick has for me always remained the platonic ideal of a first morrowind experience

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

does anyone remember arwen's morrowind journal? the part where she immediately dies because she's trying to stab a mudcrab with a lockpick has for me always remained the platonic ideal of a first morrowind experience

I definitely remember it. The site was still up last time I checked.

Years later I have realized it was the first "LP" I read.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Took down a Hunger in some random tomb at level 2 with a silver bastard sword and got a named ebony helmet. Not sure what quest it's for but i figured i'd better bring it along to save me a trip back to that place later.

Meanwhile i was trying to walk from Seyda Neen to Balmora in order to pick up all the plants and schrooms for the mage guild and somehow got past Pelegiad twice. Forgot how easy it is to get turned around without millions of questmarkers clogging the screen.
Of course i needed to return there anyway to give some ladies glove to a charismatic thief and got sidetracked by Ahnassi. :waycool:

This game is the best.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 22, 2014

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Humans Among Us posted:

Took down a Hunger in some random tomb at level 2 with a silver bastard sword and got a named ebony helmet. Not sure what quest it's for but i figured i'd better bring it along to save me a trip back to that place later.

Meanwhile i was trying to walk from Seyda Neen to Balmora in order to pick up all the plants and schrooms for the mage guild and somehow got past Pelegiad twice. Forgot how easy it is to get turned around without millions of questmarkers clogging the screen.
Of course i needed to return there anyway to give some ladies glove to a charismatic thief and got sidetracked by Ahnassi. :waycool:

This game is the best.

do all of Ahnassi's quests and she just straight up gives you a house (with a queen sized bed :heysexy:) and 20k in ebony throwing stars

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like how a legendary artifact ring created by a peerless wizard is found in a one-room burial ground guarded by one low-level ghost near the starter town.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SunAndSpring posted:

I like how a legendary artifact ring created by a peerless wizard is found in a one-room burial ground guarded by one low-level ghost near the starter town.

he spent all his time and money on the ring and couldn't afford a good grave. the county appointed him with a gravesite and the mandatory One Ghost and didn't notice the ring

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Hog Butcher posted:

he spent all his time and money on the ring and couldn't afford a good grave. the county appointed him with a gravesite and the mandatory One Ghost and didn't notice the ring

Now I'm imagining some extra surly Dark Elf from the Temple haggling over how many skeletons and Bonewalkers he's willing to raise for 5000 gold coins.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

what's cool about it is that you'll hear in some rumors people going "haha did you hear that some dumbfuck lost mentor's ring in some loving tomb what a loser haha"

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SunAndSpring posted:

Now I'm imagining some extra surly Dark Elf from the Temple haggling over how many skeletons and Bonewalkers he's willing to raise for 5000 gold coins.

we gotta get you the best bang for your buck or people are gonna think you're a fetcher. now, what i'm proposing is a bunch of skeleton archers (v. cheap) with elemental arrows. now, i know the arrows might seem a little pricy, but compare it to summoning a couple of bonewalkers. who the hell worries about those? archers are where it's at.

then we get you a bonelord to distract any n'wah graverobbers while they get plugged with elemental arrows. can't ignore a bonelord, and they resist everything. bonewalkers? mainly just big ol' wastes of money. don't even get me started on greater bonewalkers.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Hog Butcher posted:

we gotta get you the best bang for your buck or people are gonna think you're a fetcher. now, what i'm proposing is a bunch of skeleton archers (v. cheap) with elemental arrows. now, i know the arrows might seem a little pricy, but compare it to summoning a couple of bonewalkers. who the hell worries about those? archers are where it's at.

then we get you a bonelord to distract any n'wah graverobbers while they get plugged with elemental arrows. can't ignore a bonelord, and they resist everything. bonewalkers? mainly just big ol' wastes of money. don't even get me started on greater bonewalkers.

gently caress bonewalkers and gently caress their attribute damage attacks

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It must suck to be the guy who has to get resurrected as a lovely ghost that dies if you so much as breathe on it with magic or silver to defend your lovely family tomb. Like, all the others get to chill out in the afterlife whereas you're stuck aimlessly wandering around and hoping to god the loving Nerevarine doesn't mug you.

Unless you're a bonewalker, which in your case you get to gently caress the nerevarine over in infuriating ways.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I always liked the lovely double standards dunmer have about necromancy. Actually raising the dead is a big no no, but filling your tomb full of ancestor ghosts and building a bigass fence out of ancestor souls is cool. necromancy on non-dunmer is sometimes cool too since they're outlander scum

also repeatedly summoning your ancestor ghost and attacking it for magicka regen. tahts just a good old morrowind tradition

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Ash guys in Dragonborne made the weirdest sounds am I going to come across them in Morrowind?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

no they only exist in skyrim.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

It must suck to be the guy who has to get resurrected as a lovely ghost that dies if you so much as breathe on it with magic or silver to defend your lovely family tomb. Like, all the others get to chill out in the afterlife whereas you're stuck aimlessly wandering around and hoping to god the loving Nerevarine doesn't mug you.

Unless you're a bonewalker, which in your case you get to gently caress the nerevarine over in infuriating ways.

fun fact: nerevar is a bonewalker in necrom

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Ash guys in Dragonborne made the weirdest sounds am I going to come across them in Morrowind?

morrowind has ash zombies and ascended sleepers which are like 20x worse I assure you

mbt fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 22, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ash Zombies are spooky and are surprisingly good at stacking furniture.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Ash Zombies are spooky and are surprisingly good at stacking furniture.

they also don't mind talking to invisible dudes about their art

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
why don't people play the ones before Morrowind is it because they're unplayably bad?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

SeXReX posted:

why don't people play the ones before Morrowind is it because they're unplayably bad?

Arena is painfully mediocre, Daggerfall is painfully buggy, Battlespire is garbage, and no one can get Redguard to run these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
daggerfall is hilarious for about an hour and then you delete it and play something with merit

arena is completely worthless and sunandspring is the first person in years to remember that battlespire existed

• Locked thread