Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That little girl's eyes are seriously freaking me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

She's got a pretty unusual face, all right. The makeup might be the real source of the problem, however.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

If I want to start reading up on 'The Defenders'/Daredevil/Luke Cage/Iron Fist/Jessica Jones, where would be a good place to start? Do they have any iconic TPBs? ALIAS gets thrown around here a lot, so that seems a good place to start for Jessica Jones, but I don't really know anything for the others.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No! They should have cast Diora Baird!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Klungar posted:

If I want to start reading up on 'The Defenders'/Daredevil/Luke Cage/Iron Fist/Jessica Jones, where would be a good place to start? Do they have any iconic TPBs? ALIAS gets thrown around here a lot, so that seems a good place to start for Jessica Jones, but I don't really know anything for the others.

The Defenders won't have anything to do with the TV series; Daredevil, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones have never been on the team.

If you're interested in following presumably what the tv shows will try to adapt or get inspiration from. Daredevil #26-81 by Bendis and Maleev and Alias #1-#28 by Bendis and Gaydos follows Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and all interconnects at various points. After that the follow up series of The Pulse #1-#14 continues the Adventures of Luke and Jessica in the Marvel Universe.

Outside of Frank Miller's turn on Daredevil Bendis run is the best and an iconic run from start to finish.

Immortal Iron Fist by Brubaker, Fraction and Aja is the modern definitive version of the character.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Luke Cage was not only on the Defenders, he was a Defender during the best run of Defenders!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I don't remember him in the Hellcat/Gargoyle/Valkyrie period?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

The Defenders won't have anything to do with the TV series; Daredevil, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones have never been on the team.

Huh, weird they'd use that name for the team-up when, as you say, most of the characters have never been a part of the team, and even the team's history of battling "mystical and supernatural" threats seems far away from the street level feel these shows will likely have.

Thanks for the suggestions, though, they look great! Anyone have any similar suggestions for the Flash? Or Green Arrow runs besides 'Longbow Hunters'?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Defenders have been the team that's kind of formed and is not really a team because they are all bros and friends and work together. But they're a team of necessity and then they go their separate ways until otherwise needed. But hey, its MCU so it doesn't have to line up with the comics.

Not that the Avengers also haven't done that. Hell, I think Bendis even had other characters refer to New Avengers as "The Defenders" at some point in his run.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Klungar posted:

Huh, weird they'd use that name for the team-up when, as you say, most of the characters have never been a part of the team, and even the team's history of battling "mystical and supernatural" threats seems far away from the street level feel these shows will likely have.

Thanks for the suggestions, though, they look great! Anyone have any similar suggestions for the Flash? Or Green Arrow runs besides 'Longbow Hunters'?

Green Arrow Year One is pretty good.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I don't remember him in the Hellcat/Gargoyle/Valkyrie period?

Stever Gerber's run, dude. Although Luke Cage was first put in by Len Wein.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Klungar posted:

That was their traditional role, sure, but recently they re-spin the Defenders as street-level team called the "Fearless Defenders". That team did have some Heroes for Hire (i.e. Cage & Fist) connections with Misty Knight running the team.

There is probably also some New Avengers you could read that someone could recommend. (Volume 2 I think?) That seems to pretty much be the team they're using for the shows, just changing the name which is honestly a good move.

What basically happened in the comics was that as a result of the Marvel civil war, the Avengers split with a team on each side, one of which was basically the MCU classic team, but then Luke Cage formed a team as well that included Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Daredevil. (well also Spidey/Wolverine/Thing/several female superheroes but obviously none of those character can be used in the MCU)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

XboxPants posted:

That was their traditional role, sure, but recently they re-spin the Defenders as street-level team called the "Fearless Defenders". That team did have some Heroes for Hire (i.e. Cage & Fist) connections with Misty Knight running the team.

There is probably also some New Avengers you could read that someone could recommend. (Volume 2 I think?) That seems to pretty much be the team they're using for the shows, just changing the name which is honestly a good move.

What basically happened in the comics was that as a result of the Marvel civil war, the Avengers split with a team on each side, one of which was basically the MCU classic team, but then Luke Cage formed a team as well that included Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Daredevil. (well also Spidey/Wolverine/Thing/several female superheroes but obviously none of those character can be used in the MCU)

Nope. New Avengers was spun out of disassembled, as Scarlet Witch caused the deaths of Antman, Vision, and Hawkeye. Due to a breakout a new Avengers was formed with Cap, iron Man, Spider-woman, Spider-man, Luke Cage, Sentry, Ronin and Wolverine. Jessica Jones was on the sidelines and only joined the team at the end of the series, Iron Fist joined soon after, and Thing joining in Volume 2 which was when Bendis got tired of the Avengers so its not that great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mr. Maltose posted:

Stever Gerber's run, dude. Although Luke Cage was first put in by Len Wein.

:thejoke:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Rosario Dawson has been cast as a now unnamed character destined to hook up with Matt Murdock and no doubt slowly die soon afterwards

quote:

Marvel and Netflix are proud to announce that acclaimed actress Rosario Dawson has joined "Marvel’s Daredevil," an all-new 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015.

Known for her powerful work in “Cesar Chavez,” “Kids” and the upcoming “Sin City: A Dame To Kill For,” Rosario Dawson will play a dedicated young woman whose quest to heal the wounds of Hell’s Kitchen brings Matt Murdock unexpectedly crashing into her life, while her own journey forever alters the course of his battle against the injustices of this broken city.

Rosario Dawson Joins Marvel's Daredevil
ROSARIO DAWSON JOINS MARVEL\'S DAREDEVIL

Dawson joins Charlie Cox (previously announced as Matt Murdock) and Vincent D’Onofrio (previously announced as Wilson Fisk) in the critically-lauded cast of "Marvel’s Daredevil."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

It could possibly be his mother, but its more likely she will be just another corpse for the pile.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
No one thinks she might actually just be Elektra?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

She's obviously The Spot. GEEZ.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Sounds like Milla Donovan to me, but who knows.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

BrianWilly posted:

She does have that Schrödinger's ethnicity thing going on.

Was hoping Typhoid Mary/Echo

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 20, 2014

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Flash Pilot leaked. Highly recommended.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Holy crap, I spent the last week binge-watching Season 1 of Arrow, and it was actually really drat good. I was skeptical, thinking it would be another cheesy Smallville with plenty of beefcake for the CW-watching ladies and too much wealthy family melodrama, but it turned out to be a far more enjoyable show than Agents of SHIELD, which I struggled to watch all season.

Now to find Season 2, and I have heard my all-time favorite superhero may become a cast member in Season 3.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Colour me a lot more skeptical on Flash, there might be enough there to build into a good show but the characters need A LOT of work, Barry in particular is a big fat zero right now with seemingly little room for character growth, really not looking forward to a whole season of his goony crush on his adoptive sister. Also the minute long Arrow cameo is by far the worst part of the pilot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I saw this image from the Flash pilot going around during the downtime SPOILERS and this is all I want from the show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

Barry in particular is a big fat zero right now with seemingly little room for character growth

Yeah, they nailed it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Barry's character from Arrow so far is "I'm a big dork that thinks superheroes are cool and want to be a hero". Given that the show is taking a lot from Rebirth it's presumably leading to him dealing with the fact that him "being The Flash/Zoom being Zoom" resulted in his mother's death and how being a hero isn't all that great.

Especially since PILOT SPOILERS unlike with Ollie's team already half of his team at STAR labs are going to be crazy villains.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DynamicSloth posted:

Colour me a lot more skeptical on Flash, there might be enough there to build into a good show but the characters need A LOT of work, Barry in particular is a big fat zero right now with seemingly little room for character growth, really not looking forward to a whole season of his goony crush on his adoptive sister. Also the minute long Arrow cameo is by far the worst part of the pilot.

To be fair to his goony crush, he was friends with her before he was adopted, and he was already like 11 or 12 when he was adopted.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I wouldn't be surprised if Patty Spivot shows down the line to keep Iris away for a while.

PILOT SPOILERS Am I the only thinking that the big shot at Star Labs is actually the Reverse Flash and the Detective is only a red herring just like Tommy on Arrow?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Patty Spivot shows down the line to keep Iris away for a while.

PILOT SPOILERS Am I the only thinking that the big shot at Star Labs is actually the Reverse Flash and the Detective is only a red herring just like Tommy on Arrow?

Yeah they aren't really subtle about it. Pretty sure he's going to turn out to be Zoom

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I haven't even seen the pilot, but I just assumed this was the case from the trailers and such.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or they're the same person.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I think that's almost certainly the case.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Aphrodite posted:

Or they're the same person.

This was pretty much what I was thinking too.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Am I alone in thinking that it's a double red herring, and that instead of an outright villain instead he's a Rip Hunter type who only wants to preserve the timeline at all costs?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From BC's piece on the pilot:

http://imgur.com/NFdwpEz

:aaa:

So THAT's where Ollie's company went!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Am I alone in thinking that it's a double red herring, and that instead of an outright villain instead he's a Rip Hunter type who only wants to preserve the timeline at all costs?

Wells is pretty much gonna be the show's wild mass guessing machine for at least the first season, so frankly I can sell all the above possibilities as, well, possibilities. It doesn't help that the Flash mythos since the silver age has been pretty well tied to the concept of time travel, and since Rebirth its been a major story element at least four times now (with one currently ongoing). So yeah, lots of ideas you can toss around.

I really hope Grodd turns out to be more than just a quick reference though. At this point its the one thing DC could really do with what they have, to deliver a counter to the idea of Rocket Raccoon. Talking raccoon with a machine gun? We'll raise you a talking, hyper intelligent, psychic gorilla.

And meanwhile, all the world is still waiting on Wonder Woman.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Flash-seers, the super speed looks good? I know it looked good in the trailer but I figured they'd only show their super duper A-1 good rear end effects in that.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

zoux posted:

So Flash-seers, the super speed looks good? I know it looked good in the trailer but I figured they'd only show their super duper A-1 good rear end effects in that.

I thought it was pretty good. Some of the tornado stuff was meh, but otherwise, they did a pretty good job of showing what super speed looks like.

I don't think anything will top the poo poo from the new Xmen movie though....that whole sequence ruined speedsters in modern media for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The old "Strap a camera rig to the chest" close-ups look bad, but those always look bad in any context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LorneReams posted:

I thought it was pretty good. Some of the tornado stuff was meh, but otherwise, they did a pretty good job of showing what super speed looks like.

I don't think anything will top the poo poo from the new Xmen movie though....that whole sequence ruined speedsters in modern media for me.

There's no way that the Flash show doesn't at some point have a similar scene.