Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
So I'm getting ready to wrap my up first playthrough. Done everything I care to do with regards to covenants/farming. Two questions before I start the 2nd playthrough:

1. Any NPCs worth killing in particular? Only used the Cracked Eye Orb so far. Everybody else is untouched.
2. My stats are below. Is there a particularly useful weapon I should get upgraded for NG+? I'm currently rocking the CDGS and a few katanas.

VGR: 23
END: 30
VIT: 30
ATN: 20
STR: 40
DEX: 40
ADP: 20
INT: 22
FTH: 55

I guess I'm looking for a good lightning/fire weapon.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Black Knight Greatsword or Ultra Greatsword might be good with those stats. Or the Defender Greatsword, if you use Sunlight Blade a lot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

How the hell do you have such high stats on your first run? :psyduck: You've gotta be in the mid 200s for that.

You could use almost anything with such high SR/DEX/FTH.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You know, I don't think I'd mind all the copy armor if people at least used the right equipment. Lot's of Havel's and Vengarl's,but nobody using their weapons!

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Manatee Cannon posted:

How the hell do you have such high stats on your first run? :psyduck: You've gotta be in the mid 200s for that.

...and?

My first character is 220-ish on first playthrough.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is GeDoSaTo still something I should be getting? The two mods I'm looking at (The remove bloodshot eye and PS3 UI Buttons) use it as a base, and it has some cool features like depth of field that I'd like to have. But no clue if it's been outdated and replaced by something better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Magus42 posted:

...and?

My first character is 220-ish on first playthrough.

And that's ridiculous, my highest level character is at that range in ng++. Are you guys just dueling without moving on to ng+ or something?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Get to genociding and your souls will skyrocket.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Manatee Cannon posted:

And that's ridiculous, my highest level character is at that range in ng++. Are you guys just dueling without moving on to ng+ or something?
You can keep asceticing the Giant Lord as often as you feel like for serious farming, since there's an ascetic right at the start of that memory. By the time you hit intensity 8 and it stops increasing you get 300k per kill in addition to 25k from the soul item and whatever you get from the stone head killing the giant warriors. Plus two free twinkling titanite each time!

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well, I maxed out both Sunbros and Bellbros. When I started those, I was around 140, so I was stuck Sunbroing Thrones/Nashandra which gave a ton of souls. And it's obvious how many souls/chunks I got from Bellbroing to level 3. And then I wanted to max out Champions, so I grinding Rhoy and his annoying rats for a while.

Then I started thinking about weapons for NG+, which lead to me grinding Aldia's for reagents. And then the easiest way to get all the twinkling I'd ever want involves respawning the Giant Lord and his 2 titanite over and over and over, which leads to an obscene amount of souls.

So yeah, by sticking around to max out covenants and get all my used gear to +5/+10, I'm around SL 225 and 9M soul memory.

Edit:
Experiencing the grave of saints and memories at high intensity is what leads to my question about ideal weapon. The CDGS even seems weak in those places, where it takes 4 hits just to kill an undead mook soldier.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm about to take my first character to NG+ as well. Is murdering all the NPCs a good idea like it was in DS1?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm about to take my first character to NG+ as well. Is murdering all the NPCs a good idea like it was in DS1?

From what I understand, all you really get from murdering NPCs (that you couldn't get by completing their quest, anyway) is the ability to purchase their gear from Melentia. Well, that and a whole hell of a lot of sin.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nothing is going to be that powerful at high intensity. I killed the Bell Gargoyles in ng++ the other day to test something, and they took 2-3 Sunlight Spears. That's off of 58 faith and a +5 Lightning Dragon Chime. You're not gonna find a weapon that deals more damage than Sunlight Spear. You'll not run into any trouble at all in ng+ with your stats though.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Peanut3141 posted:

So I'm getting ready to wrap my up first playthrough. Done everything I care to do with regards to covenants/farming. Two questions before I start the 2nd playthrough:

1. Any NPCs worth killing in particular? Only used the Cracked Eye Orb so far. Everybody else is untouched.
2. My stats are below. Is there a particularly useful weapon I should get upgraded for NG+? I'm currently rocking the CDGS and a few katanas.

VGR: 23
END: 30
VIT: 30
ATN: 20
STR: 40
DEX: 40
ADP: 20
INT: 22
FTH: 55

I guess I'm looking for a good lightning/fire weapon.

You may also want to consider moving some of those points around: Having faith over 50 is giving you minuscule amounts of damage above 50 (and you can skeptic's spice Sunlight Spear down to 50 to still be able to use it). Moving those 5 points to attunement gives you another spell slot, and with another 5 points in adaptability you will hit 105 agility, giving you the best roll for reasonable investment. 29 is the last level of +1.5 for vitality, so that's one point, and generally unless I'm trying to get enough stamina to get an extra attack out of a set of swings I leave endurance at 20, and in your case you could chuck those in Vigor for some more HP.

Seconding the Defender Greatsword suggestion.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Coolwhoami posted:

You may also want to consider moving some of those points around: Having faith over 50 is giving you minuscule amounts of damage above 50 (and you can skeptic's spice Sunlight Spear down to 50 to still be able to use it). Moving those 5 points to attunement gives you another spell slot, and with another 5 points in adaptability you will hit 105 agility, giving you the best roll for reasonable investment. 29 is the last level of +1.5 for vitality, so that's one point, and generally unless I'm trying to get enough stamina to get an extra attack out of a set of swings I leave endurance at 20, and in your case you could chuck those in Vigor for some more HP.

Seconding the Defender Greatsword suggestion.

This, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Thank you very much.

I assume it'd be worth ascetic'ing the Nashandra fight to get another Defender soul so I can get that weapon before NG+? I already spent his soul on the shield, as it's incredible.

Oh, is it ever possible to get another copy of Sunlight Spear, or more than 2 of GLS per playthrough?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're limited to one copy of Sunlight Spear ever, but you get three Great Lightning Spears per run.

e: Straid sells one post Vestadt, there's one in the Undead Crypt behind a Pharros door, and one is in the well.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're limited to one copy of Sunlight Spear ever, but you get three Great Lightning Spears per run.

e: Straid sells one post Vestadt, there's one in the Undead Crypt behind a Pharros door, and one is in the well.

Woot, I know I got one from the well, not entirely sure where I got the 2nd, but probably Straid. Time to go hunting in the UC.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Peanut3141 posted:

Then I started thinking about weapons for NG+, which lead to me grinding Aldia's for reagents. And then the easiest way to get all the twinkling I'd ever want involves respawning the Giant Lord and his 2 titanite over and over and over, which leads to an obscene amount of souls.

Why didn't you just ascetic the Dragon Aerie? More twinkling plus all the other mats, and no bloated SM.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ularg posted:

Is GeDoSaTo still something I should be getting? The two mods I'm looking at (The remove bloodshot eye and PS3 UI Buttons) use it as a base, and it has some cool features like depth of field that I'd like to have. But no clue if it's been outdated and replaced by something better.
GeDoSaTo is best, I'm using it, and why the gently caress would you enable Depth of Field.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Killed Executioner's Chariot first try this time. Whoever recommended using alluring skulls, it made the fight nearly effortless. Also, rolling through the spokes is way more reliable than hiding in the alcoves. Great advice all around.

Celebrated by killing Royal Rat Authority on the second try. Killed the adds with Soul Appease (which seems to work on almost anything in this game), killed the boss by clinging to its back legs. First attempt, I tried to play defensively, but that just seems to get me hit more, where playing more aggressively kept most of the attacks from connecting.

It was a good day. Old Iron King is next.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
One problem I have with GeDoSaTo is that it makes the unclothed models of characters look weird up close. At least it does that for me, which is why I only enable it when I'm actually wearing armor.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Apparition posted:

Why didn't you just ascetic the Dragon Aerie? More twinkling plus all the other mats, and no bloated SM.

Good point, maybe I'll do that to get the petrified dragon bones to max out the defender's greatsword.

Edit: On the upside, the Giant Lord provides an asetic every time, so you can do it forever if you so choose.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 20, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

IGgy IGsen posted:

One problem I have with GeDoSaTo is that it makes the unclothed models of characters look weird up close. At least it does that for me, which is why I only enable it when I'm actually wearing armor.

The game applies the reduced Depth of Field resolution to your character's textures when they are next to the camera.

It was the same in DS1, which is why characters looked so blurry when you turned them around and had their face right up to the screen.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I'm glad I learned how to reliably guard break. It's a lot of fun to mess with Havels on the Iron Keep bridge. Keep that shield up buddy, I'm sure it'll help one of these times :unsmigghh:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheRagamuffin posted:

Celebrated by killing Royal Rat Authority on the second try. Killed the adds with Soul Appease (which seems to work on almost anything in this game)
It can be weird what it doesn't work on. Skeletons and those bloated-stomach guys in Shaded Woods are immune, for example.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Number19 posted:

I'm glad I learned how to reliably guard break. It's a lot of fun to mess with Havels on the Iron Keep bridge. Keep that shield up buddy, I'm sure it'll help one of these times :unsmigghh:

This is how I get most of my kills in pvp. I don't understand how people don't realize that keeping their shield up at all times will just get them killed.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Also, if you can get the timing down using a shotel to parry really messes people up. They don't seem to expect that you're going to parry.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There aren't a lot of people using Homing Soul Mass who realize all I need to do to defeat it is just turn a corner and wait. They'll fire before they can regain line of sight.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

RBA Starblade posted:

There aren't a lot of people using Homing Soul Mass who realize all I need to do to defeat it is just turn a corner and wait. They'll fire before they can regain line of sight.

I like using Crystal Homing Soulmass and then follow it up with Chameleon because I am a jerk.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Jamfrost posted:

I like using Crystal Homing Soulmass and then follow it up with Chameleon because I am a jerk.

If you're not being a jerk you're playing Dark Sols PVP wrong IMO.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

How do you guard break people that are backpedalling? I'm never able to do that :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So yeah, finally gave this game a chance and got it on the steam sale.

I have absolutely 0 idea what I'm doing other than "get to the next bonfire", and I'm having a god-drat blast.

Just got my poo poo pushed in by the Pursuer though.

Peanut3141 posted:

You're doing it right then. The Pursuer is the definitely the first roadblock most people face.

I'm vaguely aware that he's optional at this point, so next time I'm just gonna get onto the platform, retrieve my poo poo, then run like a stabbed rat.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 20, 2014

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I have absolutely 0 idea what I'm doing other than "get to the next bonfire", and I'm having a god-drat blast.

You're doing it right then. The Pursuer is the definitely the first roadblock most people face.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I'm vaguely aware that he's optional at this point, so next time I'm just gonna get onto the platform, retrieve my poo poo, then run like a stabbed rat.

Since you said platform I'll assume you're talking about the first possible encounter with him, he only appears there once, but he'll turn up again in a short while where you won't be able to run in, grab your poo poo and run out without killing him

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If you fought him on the platform then you missed your one chance to kill him there. He won't return to that particular spot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jamfrost posted:

The Battle Barrel is a personal favorite of mine in Belfry Luna too. I like to pop out with soul greatsword. :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rudager posted:

Since you said platform I'll assume you're talking about the first possible encounter with him, he only appears there once, but he'll turn up again in a short while where you won't be able to run in, grab your poo poo and run out without killing him

You can always bone out of boss arenas if you're fast enough.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

neetengie posted:

GeDoSaTo is best, I'm using it, and why the gently caress would you enable Depth of Field.

I like completely useless and overdone graphical effects. I'm the guy who prefers to crank the contrast up unless I'm doing some competitive multiplayer game.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
Well, after killing a few NPCs and maxing out the Defender's Greatsword, I'm starting my NG+ run. The theme seems to be dark spirits outta nowhere, some NPCs, some PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The falconers are the only significant change to the enemy layout, sadly. It is pretty much just the occasional black phantom from there.