Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I bought a refurbished Wii U on backorder a couple days ago with Nintendo telling me they would ship it out next week. Lo and behold it arrived today. I picked up a Wii plus remote for $22, a nunchuck for $7 and pro controller for $28. Overall I've gotten some fantastic deals and can't wait to take advantage of the target deal next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

seiferguy posted:

I bought a refurbished Wii U on backorder a couple days ago with Nintendo telling me they would ship it out next week. Lo and behold it arrived today. I picked up a Wii plus remote for $22, a nunchuck for $7 and pro controller for $28. Overall I've gotten some fantastic deals and can't wait to take advantage of the target deal next week.

You can get a refub Wiimote WITH nunchuck for less than you paid for the remote from the same refurb shop Nintendo does.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Slightly disappointed that Miiverse Community for Another World isn't full of people dying over and over on the first screen.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

irlZaphod posted:

Slightly disappointed that Miiverse Community for Another World isn't full of people dying over and over on the first screen.

How does guy crawl?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

jsr v2.0 posted:

Gotcha, thanks. So I'm pretty sure if I got to Gold before the end of the month for the rewards, I'd easily hit Gold for next year anyway. So basically, I think I'll just make sure I hit gold by EOM.

Actually - registering games/consoles, how many coins do they tend to be worth?

160 for the consoles and the game's amount of coins are the same as its retail price (60 dollar games are worth 60 coins)

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

You can get a refub Wiimote WITH nunchuck for less than you paid for the remote from the same refurb shop Nintendo does.

$5 for shipping, so you basically are paying a $4 premium to not wait 5-7 business days for it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

noirstronaut posted:

Huh I'll have to pick some of those up for later for when I get some for friends. Thanks for the tip.

I picked up tropical freeze used, I'll likely get MK8, and Super Mario 3D World. Not sure what free game I'll pick up next...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I know it was pages back but the attach rate of the Wii wasn't even that much lower than other consoles. By like 2013 it was 8.8 games per system, the final attach rate of the PS2 was only like 10.2 or something.

But lol conventional wisdom people only bought the Wii for Wii Sports! Nobody bought any games!

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately (fortunately) 7 out of those 8.8 games were published Nintendo.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I know it was pages back but the attach rate of the Wii wasn't even that much lower than other consoles. By like 2013 it was 8.8 games per system, the final attach rate of the PS2 was only like 10.2 or something.

But lol conventional wisdom people only bought the Wii for Wii Sports! Nobody bought any games!

I was the one who brought it up, and conceded that it's attach rate of 8.84:1 was a very good attach rate.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks to whoever confirmed that using my trickery of cables and couplers would get the Wii U to output sound to my speakers. It ended up working, but I realized that I would just end up having to buy more cables and couplers and switches and adapters to get things working with my computer as well. So I decided it was time for a monitor upgrade and just got something with 2 HDMI inputs and an audio out. Works like a champ, plus it has a flat top for easy motion-bar placement. And with the energy I'm saving, it practically pays for itself! :goonsay:

So, now I have Mario Kart, Wind Waker HD, and Super Paper Mario (which a friend lent me to help me evaluate the Wii classic support). Pretty darn happy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Louisgod posted:

And how the Wii is what, 8 years old at this point? Did they just suddenly realize 6 or 7 years later that oh yeah, we patented that!

It's possible that they had been in contact with Nintendo over it for years before the lawsuit which was filed in 2011. When it comes to Phillips, I don't know if it was a troll case or not. Phillips does a lot of tech development and licenses it out so there might actually be something to it. Of course these days pretty much every tech company files any crazy, stupid patent they can come up with and then attacks everyone else so it might be a troll case. I just wouldn't want to call it that without taking a good look at it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Finally grabbed Mario Kart 8 from Walmart for $48, grabbed Wind Waker as my free game since I never played the original. My Nintendo ID is RadValtar, can't wait to race with goons.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fremry posted:

I was the one who brought it up, and conceded that it's attach rate of 8.84:1 was a very good attach rate.

It's an especially strong attach ratio considering that the system was both profitable with the initial system sale, and the massive amount of popular accessories (Wii Remote/Nunchuk/Classic Controller/Zapper/Balance Board) the system spawned.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

homeless snail posted:

Ghosts was particularly garbage even for a CoD game. Bad maps, no one liked the few new mechanics they added, single player campaign was horrible.

I like leaning :colbert:

And it's not that the maps are bad necessarily. At least to me there aren't that many that i go "oh god i hate this with every fiber of my being" [well there is Prison Break or whatever map it is with the hill in the middle, gently caress that map] but at release they were all super huge and the max player limit is 12. The game was begging for Ground War right off the bod and only Xboners had it.

I don't know the quality of the new maps since i haven't bought them but playing as Michael Myers and the Predator sound pretty cool if a big gimmicky.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

deadwing posted:

It's an especially strong attach ratio considering that the system was both profitable with the initial system sale, and the massive amount of popular accessories (Wii Remote/Nunchuk/Classic Controller/Zapper/Balance Board) the system spawned.

Yeah, from what I saw it was their second highest attach ratio. The only one that beat it out was the GameCube, ironically.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fremry posted:

Yeah, from what I saw it was their second highest attach ratio. The only one that beat it out was the GameCube, ironically.

Quality over quantity :V

The 3DS's attach rate is really abysmal, like 4 or something. But it might not take digital sales into account? I guess those can be tough to track?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The 3DS's attach rate is really abysmal, like 4 or something. But it might not take digital sales into account? I guess those can be tough to track?

The 3DS is too young to have a high attach ratio, and having an early model refresh surely didn't help things on that front. I know I upgraded to the XL.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do the fish move out of your way on Ghosts for WiiU? Or is that only possible with the power of Xbox One?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

greatn posted:

Do the fish move out of your way on Ghosts for WiiU? Or is that only possible with the power of Xbox One?

I bet wii u can't even handle dog

Wii u is cat system

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So I reached the credits in Pushmo World.

None of it got too hard. Like impossible hard, but there was some tricky poo poo there. The last normal one, #120 was a pain in the arse because turns put you needed all 3 parts of the top of it pulled out, and there was a specific way you had to go about doing it.

Also missing a few stars in the end credits which I need to find, because I think there may be a stamp behind it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Man, I had no idea there was a remake of Another World coming and that it was also coming to the eShop. There's a lot of good stuff already on and coming to both the WiiU and 3DS eShops, I couldn't argue that it's a main draw to get either system but it sure is a nice bullet point. Guacamelee and Shovel Knight are going to eat up a lot of my free time.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Pushmo is kewl

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

When does the Buy 2 Get 1 Free Target sale start?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Man, I had no idea there was a remake of Another World coming and that it was also coming to the eShop.

It's been out for years on the PC, they're just bothering to port it to consoles finally.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quidnose posted:

on the 22nd

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Honestly, it may not be that bad. The game boy and game boy advance both had an attach rate of around 4.5, and the wildly successful DS had an attach rate of 6.1, so in terms of Nintendo's historical sales, it's doing about what you'd expect for a handheld.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
Wasn't sure where exactly to chat about this, but I guess this thread will do.

I never really played many Nintendo games on my GBA when I was a kid (can't really remember playing much aside from Castlevania, Mega Man Zero and Tactics Ogre), so I've been using the recent introduction of GBA games on the Wii U as an opportunity to play catch up with some games I passed on the first time around. Super Metroid has always been a favourite of mine-- played it for the first time when I was very young and have played through it once every couple of years since, but until now hadn't actually finished any other games in the series (I got through most of the first Prime game, though). I picked up Minish Cap and Metroid Fusion back when they were doing sales for buying multiple GBA games, and I bought Zero Mission right after it went up on the store this past Thursday.

I decided to play them in the order they came out, so I've been spending most of my free time these past couple of days getting through Fusion for the first time.

Boy, was that a mixed bag.

Visually stunning-- watching Samus move around is fantastic (aiming her gun while clinging to walls amazes me no matter how times I see it), the bosses are large, interestingly designed and beautifully animated, but the audio is just abysmal. I knew what I was getting into (it's the GBA, after all), but I feel like the game's atmosphere really suffers as a result of the music and sound effects being as weak as they are.

The gameplay is Metroid and Metroid is obviously extremely compelling as is, but the game kind of sucks in ways I'm sure everybody finished talking about a decade ago. Constantly being told what to do by my computer is annoying, hitting a point of no return at the end of the game that locks down all the sectors and prevents me from going back to search for hidden areas and upgrades blows, there are too many parts of the game (after bosses, etc.) where they block off the return path and expect me to bomb every surface until I discover a secret path that leads me back out, and Samus just doesn't really handle all that well. Maneuvering in mid-air feels really awkward.

Overall I would say I liked it quite a bit. Absolutely no songs stuck with me and I don't really think I'll be going back to replay it anytime soon, but Metroid (and other Metroid-style games) are terribly engaging and just heaps of fun to play.

I booted up Zero Mission immediately after and played it for about 15 minutes, and wow-- what an immense upgrade. Samus feels agile and is just a blast to control. It's like I pawned my old '89 Volvo to pay for a slightly newer used car.

tldr metroid is neato

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Captain Toad is still on track to be GOTY 2014:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

God I want this loving game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mercury Crusader posted:

All the cuteness in this game is gonna kill me before I even get to buy it! :kimchi:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
i want that game and I want Shovel Knight right now

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mercury Crusader posted:

Boo :3:

Why didn't they put you in Mario Kart Boo :(

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Fremry posted:

the wildly successful DS had an attach rate of 6.1
Well I'm sure in the case of the DS in particular, the ubiquitous availability of flash cards and ensuing rampant piracy probably had something to do with it, though.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PrBacterio posted:

Well I'm sure in the case of the DS in particular, the ubiquitous availability of flash cards and ensuing rampant piracy probably had something to do with it, though.

Probably, but it's the best performing of any handheld they made, so if it did affect it, it still was their best selling handheld with the best attach rate.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Okay, finished Pushmo World. Turns out the last stamp is somewhere in the credits.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Fremry posted:

Honestly, it may not be that bad. The game boy and game boy advance both had an attach rate of around 4.5, and the wildly successful DS had an attach rate of 6.1, so in terms of Nintendo's historical sales, it's doing about what you'd expect for a handheld.

This is also an era where Nintendo's no longer the only game in town and has to compete with free apps on Mom's old iPhone, so I think 4 is still pretty decent.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

PrBacterio posted:

Honestly probably not, there's no data to really support that piracy affects sales that way.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Quidnose posted:

Anybody got a link for this? Not showing on their weekly ad on their website, that's still for the 21st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Soul Glo posted:

Anybody got a link for this? Not showing on their weekly ad on their website, that's still for the 21st.

Everything I've read says 22nd

• Locked thread