Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

You can't gently caress up the phone by accepting the OTA, it will just boot to recovery and sit there.

Didn't custom recoveries used to see that you had an OTA pending and would install it for you? What happened to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Didn't custom recoveries used to see that you had an OTA pending and would install it for you? What happened to that?
I just ran my OTA. CWR gave me a prompt asking if I wanted to install it. When I clicked yes it installed without problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought it worked too but some have reported problems here. Perhaps they were just confused by the prompt tonberrytoby refers to because that's how I remembered it working.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

Thanks. Another question: Windows (7-64) can't find a suitable driver in the extras folder. Do I need to download the 32-bit package instead or what?

Edit: Got it, it's a separate download now apparently.
Sorry, my post may not have been clear, you do have to specifically choose the driver on the component download/update list.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This usually works but occasionally it will fail for some arbitrary reason. Also I always immediately flash the factory image on release so I never use that method these days.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Has anybody had TWRP automatically install the OTA? When my N7 updated, it just booted to TWRP and sat there. Maybe I should just flash CWM. I use recovery so infrequently that it doesn't really matter which I have.

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

I'm trying to change my boot animation

s4 gt-i9505
Omega ROM v30 android 4.4.2

I've attempted a number of apps that claim they will do it for me and also tried to install zip files with TWRP, but all I constantly get is the Omega logo.

Any tips?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Found a boot animation I liked and edited it a bit in Photoshop, including upscaling it to 1080p. I changed the resolution in the desc file and the PNGs were saved without changing any settings. It doesn't seem to work, however, whereas the original did, only showing in 720p. The .zip is only 2.9MB bigger, so I can't imagine that it's just taking too long to load.

Any ideas?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

Found a boot animation I liked and edited it a bit in Photoshop, including upscaling it to 1080p. I changed the resolution in the desc file and the PNGs were saved without changing any settings. It doesn't seem to work, however, whereas the original did, only showing in 720p. The .zip is only 2.9MB bigger, so I can't imagine that it's just taking too long to load.

Any ideas?

Did you make sure the zip is in "package" mode or whatever it's called? It's where it doesn't actually compress it, it just makes it all one file. Any other mode and it won't work

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Gozinbulx posted:

Did you make sure the zip is in "package" mode or whatever it's called? It's where it doesn't actually compress it, it just makes it all one file. Any other mode and it won't work

Oh, I just used Windows to zip it, probably the reason. Thanks!

Edit: Worked beautifully. Thanks again.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 15, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Glad I could help for once in this thread and not just ask questions.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Has anybody had TWRP automatically install the OTA? When my N7 updated, it just booted to TWRP and sat there. Maybe I should just flash CWM. I use recovery so infrequently that it doesn't really matter which I have.

Worked perfectly for me on my N5, though I used the SuperSU "permanently unroot" / cleanup option before running the update, just in case.

Its worth nothing that having the latest recovery for your device might be important too.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I ran that towel root thingy and I did get root on my Verizon S5, although I had to use the updated Super SU apk from the XDA thread. Apologies for the novice-rear end question, but does this really do anything for me since the bootloader isn't unlocked and there's no custom recovery for the device yet? Can I flash ROMs via the stock recovery with ZIP files or something?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know anything about the S5 but the generic answer to this question is that rooting allows you to do things within Android. It isn't related to installing ROMs, recoveries etc. It allows you to modify system files, install apps the system partition, backup protected apps, etc. You can also install Xposed though I have no idea what kind of stuff is available for the S5.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Hmm, OK, thanks. I was hoping to get a version of Android running that isn't so damned Samsung-y but I guess I'll have to wait a while for that.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

stuart scott irl posted:

Hmm, OK, thanks. I was hoping to get a version of Android running that isn't so damned Samsung-y but I guess I'll have to wait a while for that.

Return/sell your S5 and buy something that isn't Samsunged.

edit: Since you're on Verizon I'd suggest the Droid Maxx.

nimper fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 16, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

Return/sell your S5 and buy something that isn't Samsunged.
It's this, this is the answer.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

So many pages to read, not sure where to start. So I'll just ask.

My N5 is unlocked and rooted. I've been using stock since November and it's suited my purpose for ~7 months. But now I'm feeling rather stagnant and am looking for options and opinions on what to do with it next. When I rooted it, it was for the purpose of flashing the N5 Volume Booster, which worked really well actually. So now what?

What is the general opinion on the best ROM for the N5?
XTools, heard about it. What is it and what are the best modules (?) to use?
What other fun things are out there to do with it?

Instead of just jumping into XDA and trying various crap, I thought I'd ask opinions of Goons on what they have found to work well vs what to avoid.

Thanks in advance!

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 17, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Boywunda posted:

My N5 is unlocked and rooted. I've been using stock since November and it's suited my purpose for ~7 months. But now I'm feeling rather stagnant and am looking for options and opinions on what to do with it next. When I rooted it, it was for the purpose of flashing the N5 Volume Booster, which worked really well actually. So now what?

Instead of just jumping into XDA and trying various crap, I thought I'd ask opinions of Goons on what they have found to work well vs what to avoid.

Thanks in advance!

I just rooted and set up mine last week, I heartily recommend Xposed Framework with GravityBox, XGELS, XPrivacy, Youtube AdAway and CrappaLinks modules. Unless you need some specific things from a ROM I suggest going that route, it's had me covered on anything I wanted to do in regards to UI and convenience adjustments.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Boywunda posted:

Try Xposed and GravityBox, there are enough tweaks just in that to replicate just about all of the useful additions of any stock-ish replacement ROM.

I haven't tried other modules beyond GB yet, but just that made it a different experience altogether.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I had put XPrivacy on my N4, but I got a couple of weird hangs that made me hard-reboot the phone. I disabled the module a day or two ago and haven't had any of the issues since, do be careful with that one.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know what I'll waste time doing tonight :-D

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

hooah posted:

I had put XPrivacy on my N4, but I got a couple of weird hangs that made me hard-reboot the phone. I disabled the module a day or two ago and haven't had any of the issues since, do be careful with that one.

Only trouble I've had was allowing Facebook Messenger through in the correct order to work from within the Facebook app, which would crash otherwise, but it worked with a bit of fiddling. Then again, I haven't really restricted many apps so far. Did you block some of the essential functions of certain apps (marked with red)?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

Did you block some of the essential functions of certain apps (marked with red)?

I don't think so? But the app's "tutorial" wasn't terribly informative, so I might have misunderstood what the red meant. I think I thought it meant that those were dangerous permissions from the user's perspective, not dangerous for the app to have them blocked.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

hooah posted:

I don't think so? But the app's "tutorial" wasn't terribly informative, so I might have misunderstood what the red meant. I think I thought it meant that those were dangerous permissions from the user's perspective, not dangerous for the app to have them blocked.

No, not according to the descriptions under ? in the top menu, it means restricting those functions might cause problems with the app (possibly the device as well?).

I think those warnings are based on user choices/feedback as well, so they're probably accurate for most popular apps. Don't take my word for it, though.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 17, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SplitSoul posted:

I just rooted and set up mine last week, I heartily recommend Xposed Framework with GravityBox, XGELS, XPrivacy, Youtube AdAway and CrappaLinks modules. Unless you need some specific things from a ROM I suggest going that route, it's had me covered on anything I wanted to do in regards to UI and convenience adjustments.

I just re-rooted my N5 after the 4.4.3 update, and installed Xposed for the first time;

I'm just using Xprivacy for now, but the main thing I want to achieve is - make the lockscreen keylock timeout work like an iPhone's;

* Always keep the slide lock on, regardless of how long the screen is off.
* Enable the pin lock, *after* the slide lock, when the screen's been locked for some timeout - e.g. 15 minutes.

The option "Slide before lock" in Gravitybox makes the slide appear before the PIN unlock, but sadly only with the same timeout - i.e. it doesn't appear at all until after the timeout I set, and appears every time

Another module I found called XLockSecuritySlide doesn't appear to work at all - not sure if this is a compatibility problem with the phone, or if it's just broken.

Does anyone know a way to achieve this with the stock rom & Xposed?

I think that even Cyanogenmod had removed this option last time I tried it, but it used to have it. It's literally a one line addtion to the security options that makes the phone much nicer to use.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wooger posted:

The option "Slide before lock" in Gravitybox makes the slide appear before the PIN unlock, but sadly only with the same timeout - i.e. it doesn't appear at all until after the timeout I set, and appears every time

Another module I found called XLockSecuritySlide doesn't appear to work at all - not sure if this is a compatibility problem with the phone, or if it's just broken.
According to the support thread and specifically this super informative post where the poster discovers what the problem is but refuses to tell anyone there are some cross-compatibility issues with XLockSecuritySlide and GravityBox.

Perhaps through trial and error you can work out what is causing the conflict. At the very least disable GravityBox and see if XLSS does what you want before seeing if you can resolve the conflict.

As a last resort, the GravityBox dev is very responsive and puts out a new version every week or so. If you ask nicely in the thread and explain what it is exactly that you'd like his lockscreen tweaks to do I'm certain he'll incorporate it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

LastInLine posted:

According to the support thread and specifically this super informative post where the poster discovers what the problem is but refuses to tell anyone there are some cross-compatibility issues with XLockSecuritySlide and GravityBox.

Perhaps through trial and error you can work out what is causing the conflict. At the very least disable GravityBox and see if XLSS does what you want before seeing if you can resolve the conflict.

As a last resort, the GravityBox dev is very responsive and puts out a new version every week or so. If you ask nicely in the thread and explain what it is exactly that you'd like his lockscreen tweaks to do I'm certain he'll incorporate it.

Ta, I tried XLSS without GravityBox - it just does the exact same thing as GravityBox's "slide before unlock" checkbox - so no win there. I'll dig up my XDA account and give the GravityBox dev a shout, certainly it should be a minor mod compared to some of the features incorporated in that module.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wooger posted:

Ta, I tried XLSS without GravityBox - it just does the exact same thing as GravityBox's "slide before unlock" checkbox - so no win there. I'll dig up my XDA account and give the GravityBox dev a shout, certainly it should be a minor mod compared to some of the features incorporated in that module.
Just use his @[username] to get his attention. He does a great job answering everyone who asks him stuff in there but there is a fuckton of noise.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Boywunda posted:

Thanks in advance!

If you're looking for a full-on custom rom, I've found Carbon to be excellent. I'm not totally sure if you need to go that far on a Nexus, though.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

wooger posted:

I just re-rooted my N5 after the 4.4.3 update, and installed Xposed for the first time;

I'm just using Xprivacy for now, but the main thing I want to achieve is - make the lockscreen keylock timeout work like an iPhone's;

* Always keep the slide lock on, regardless of how long the screen is off.
* Enable the pin lock, *after* the slide lock, when the screen's been locked for some timeout - e.g. 15 minutes.

Does anyone know a way to achieve this with the stock rom & Xposed?

I think that even Cyanogenmod had removed this option last time I tried it, but it used to have it. It's literally a one line addtion to the security options that makes the phone much nicer to use.
You should be able to do this with llama tasker I believe. I have something similar with llama already.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

ArcMage posted:

If you're looking for a full-on custom rom, I've found Carbon to be excellent. I'm not totally sure if you need to go that far on a Nexus, though.

I've heard/read good things about Carbon ROMs. If I decide to go down the custom ROM route in the near future, I'll keep that in mind. I'm pretty aware of CM, AOKP, MIUI....some fo the most standard ones across devices. When i owned an Xperia Arc, I was flashing a custom ROM almost monthly. Mainly to see what different developers thought was cool.

So far, with Xposed, the things I liked about a custom ROM, I can acheive through Xposed modules. Just simple Status Bar and notification bar tweaks is what I like most about custom ROMs. GravityBox is achieving that for me. I'm going to play with the other modules as well and see what I like.

So thanks to those who suggested Xposed framework and the GravityBox module. I'm liking what I can do so far. I've read up on the other available modules, and some seem cool. I'll have to play around a bit to get an idea of what I like.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are my options for the best rootable phone on the Verizon network right now? Or anything worth getting a new contract for on another carrier?

For the record, yes, I need Xposed and Adblock on my phone to live.

Basically sick of my Galaxy Nexus (RIP) and I want something that runs stock or close to it Android fast and with good battery life/radio.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I've been googling around but I figured I'd ask some of you guys. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 (model SCH-i535, Android 4.3) and I'd like to finally root it. I'm finding all kinds of different things but I'm not sure what would work best since a lot of it is for older Android versions. What's the best resource out there for me to follow for this?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Gyshall posted:

What are my options for the best rootable phone on the Verizon network right now? Or anything worth getting a new contract for on another carrier?

For the record, yes, I need Xposed and Adblock on my phone to live.

Basically sick of my Galaxy Nexus (RIP) and I want something that runs stock or close to it Android fast and with good battery life/radio.

Get a Moto X developer edition.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone else using AdAway receive any block list updates in the last few days? Mine has been unusually quiet.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Anyone here have experience recording screencasts of their Android device, and then editing them? Using SCR, the video looks good in VLC or any other regular player, but when I import it to Premiere/encode it with some other program, the video get jittery as all get out, like as if it were flashing back and forth between frames super fast. If I record with Screencast, the colors are inverted. When I fix them using AviDemux, the video becomes jittery like the previous example. What the eff is going on, why does VLC play the video fine but when I try to edit/export it becomes an unwatchabe mess?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I was updating to 4.4.4 on my Nexus 4 today, and while my phone was plugged into my Windows 8.1 machine, every time the state of the phone would change (reboot, go from fastboot to recovery, etc.), the volume of foobar would go down to 13%. What the gently caress?! I did a Malwarebytes scan just in case, and it didn't turn up anything. I also looked at the sound settings because I remember people talking about games causing Windows to gently caress around with the sound, but I'm not sure what setting that was. Any ideas?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

hooah posted:

I was updating to 4.4.4 on my Nexus 4 today, and while my phone was plugged into my Windows 8.1 machine, every time the state of the phone would change (reboot, go from fastboot to recovery, etc.), the volume of foobar would go down to 13%. What the gently caress?! I did a Malwarebytes scan just in case, and it didn't turn up anything. I also looked at the sound settings because I remember people talking about games causing Windows to gently caress around with the sound, but I'm not sure what setting that was. Any ideas?

Not sure about Win8, but in Win7 it's Control Panel > Sound > Communications > Do Nothing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

Not sure about Win8, but in Win7 it's Control Panel > Sound > Communications > Do Nothing.

Looks to be the same setting on Win8, and it seems to have done it. I wonder why it just started, though? Computers are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm thinking about doing a factory reset of my Galaxy Nexus as I have never done one since I got it in 2011. Is there any reason not to root it while I'm doing this? I'm probably not going to use custom ROMs but thought it might be useful at some point.