Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cais posted:

September is a glorious time. It is when the cast members return to the parks as all the lines are gone.

I have a picture of Soarin with a 5 minute wait. I love September.
Cool. Does this also apply to the Universal parks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yup! I dunno if Diagon Alley will have calmed down by then, but wait times are pretty low across the board.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nathilus posted:

Haha can you imagine that garbage fermenting in your stomach on a nice balmy 105 degree day? Sounds like a recipe for puke, no thanks.

drat, that's why you go after animal kingdom closes for the day. Obviously.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Nathilus posted:

Haha can you imagine that garbage fermenting in your stomach on a nice balmy 105 degree day? Sounds like a recipe for puke, no thanks.

You do know you're not supposed to eat all of it by yourself, right? The menu even says it's intended for four people. I'm sure that lots of people have made solo attempts, but I have no desire to join them. That's why I want help!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Pththya-lyi posted:

You do know you're not supposed to eat all of it by yourself, right? The menu even says it's intended for four people. I'm sure that lots of people have made solo attempts, but I have no desire to join them. That's why I want help!

Four people? I had this on a date night with my wife and we got about 3/4 through it before I gave up ready to puke. Boy it was good though.

Also this is not something you would go to enjoy during the middle of the day. This is evening stuff.. then hop in the pool for a swim.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Cais posted:

September is a glorious time. It is when the cast members return to the parks as all the lines are gone.

I have a picture of Soarin with a 5 minute wait. I love September.

I used to have a picture of Soarin with a two minute wait.

Bored coordinators make fun things happen.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
They have a smaller version of the Kitchen Sink that you can get that is more or less for one or two people. Less ice cream, not a can of whipped cream and less candies and cookies and junk and stuff, but it comes in a collectable sink designed to look like Mickey's red pants.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They have a smaller version of the Kitchen Sink that you can get that is more or less for one or two people. Less ice cream, not a can of whipped cream and less candies and cookies and junk and stuff, but it comes in a collectable sink designed to look like Mickey's red pants.

That seems slightly weird to be eating cream out of Mickey's pants.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

That seems slightly weird to be eating cream out of Mickey's pants.

But less weird than the guy we saw walking out with it on his head like a hat. He was carrying on like it was some badge of honor.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

But less weird than the guy we saw walking out with it on his head like a hat. He was carrying on like it was some badge of honor.

"I ate three scoops of ice cream out of this clunky plastic nightmare, go me!"

In other news, Epcot rules. I had a spectacular dinner at Teppan Edo and then ate far too much sugary junk while waiting for fireworks. I also rode Spaceship Earth for the first time.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Roar posted:

I used to have a picture of Soarin with a two minute wait.

Bored coordinators make fun things happen.

That's great. I didn't even realize wait times that weren't a multiple of 5 were allowed outside of Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror, where they'll post 13 minutes sometimes.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
I just got a professional internship for the fall at Disney world! Any tips for interns from those who have done the program before? I will be with the mechanical ride department and living in falcon square. Thanks in advance!

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

mearn posted:

That's great. I didn't even realize wait times that weren't a multiple of 5 were allowed outside of Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror, where they'll post 13 minutes sometimes.

I don't think they can anymore, they've changed the system since that happened. This was like five years ago.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

nbakyfan posted:

I just got a professional internship for the fall at Disney world! Any tips for interns from those who have done the program before? I will be with the mechanical ride department and living in falcon square. Thanks in advance!

Congrats! I did mine fall 2012-13 probably across the street. I lived in falcon - it's not bad but it's not really near anything and the second I had a chance to bail on the lease I did. We pay less for a 4 bedroom house than me and my roommate did for one room at falcon so that's probably the worst part.

Those PIs are hard to land and they vary so much. I was the intern for the Traditions team and at one point was the only coordinator for trad in the company - I ended up with a lot of responsibilities that weren't normally trusted to an intern and I still cover shifts occasionally a year later since they loved me.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

"I ate three scoops of ice cream out of this clunky plastic nightmare, go me!"

In other news, Epcot rules. I had a spectacular dinner at Teppan Edo and then ate far too much sugary junk while waiting for fireworks. I also rode Spaceship Earth for the first time.

Teppan Edo owns. When I was there, they didn't have any kinda employee discount on the food there so it was kinda expensive, but whenever I rolled there solo, they'd sit my down with another group that was always thrilled to be speaking to an off-duty cast member. This one dude and he wife once practically ignored the rest of their party to grill me over Secret Disney Techniques. I liked telling people the easier ways to get things done there, the hidden gems and so forth, so it didn't bother me at all. In fact it made me feel appreciated and led to a very entertaining dinner. They meanwhile obviously thought they hit the motherlode of Disney info, hahahaha.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I've never even heard of Falcon Square. Holy poo poo, it looks a HELL of a lot nicer that Vista Lay but it's out in the rear end end of nowhere.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

and they don't offer transportation like the CPs get. You gotta hoof it to work yourself, by car or whatever.

Roar posted:

I don't think they can anymore, they've changed the system since that happened. This was like five years ago.

I know that all of the rides in Fantasyland that are new have a new kind of wait time sign that doesn't use the flip clock technology and just has a still image of the time. They also have one at Tea Cups now since they had to change the sign to add in FP+ return.

Nathilus posted:

Teppan Edo owns. When I was there, they didn't have any kinda employee discount on the food there so it was kinda expensive, but whenever I rolled there solo, they'd sit my down with another group that was always thrilled to be speaking to an off-duty cast member. This one dude and he wife once practically ignored the rest of their party to grill me over Secret Disney Techniques. I liked telling people the easier ways to get things done there, the hidden gems and so forth, so it didn't bother me at all. In fact it made me feel appreciated and led to a very entertaining dinner. They meanwhile obviously thought they hit the motherlode of Disney info, hahahaha.

They still don't. at Dinner anyway, apparently during lunch hours they accept a cast ID. I didn't care. My meal was a bit expensive but that's because I had them throw rum and juice at me like it was the end of the world.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 21, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I remember the CP buses being a pain in the rear end. Apparently it was annoying enough that a couple CP's would ask me to pick them up if our shifts fell on the same times.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Skeezy posted:

I remember the CP buses being a pain in the rear end. Apparently it was annoying enough that a couple CP's would ask me to pick them up if our shifts fell on the same times.

I've heard the horror stories, but I've not yet had to experience them. It probably helps that there are two buses that can get me to where I need to go for work, rather than the other parks, which only have one.

I waited in line for Soarin yesterday because FastPasses were gone by 10am. That line crawlllls.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Skeezy posted:

For me it was all about not having to wake up 30 minutes earlier after a long rear end night. You can sit around and wait for/on a bus for 30-40 minutes or drive to your park in ten. If you're already used to riding buses because you come from a city with decent public transportation infrastructure, it's fine.

Problem is, it's retarded to not bring a car if you own one. Orlando is not a non-car-owning-person friendly city to live in, and as a CP you live dead center in the outskirts, Touristville. You gotta drive a few minutes just to get to a reasonable grocery store, because shopping at Gooding's is a recipe for bankruptcy.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Nathilus posted:

For me it was all about not having to wake up 30 minutes earlier after a long rear end night. You can sit around and wait for/on a bus for 30-40 minutes or drive to your park in ten. If you're already used to riding buses because you come from a city with decent public transportation infrastructure, it's fine.

Problem is, it's retarded to not bring a car if you own one. Orlando is not a non-car-owning-person friendly city to live in, and as a CP you live dead center in the outskirts, Touristville. You gotta drive a few minutes just to get to a reasonable grocery store, because shopping at Gooding's is a recipe for bankruptcy.

They now have GPS tracking on the buses that goes to an app. Usually accurate (for my buses at least) I just wait until it's 15 minutes away from arriving and then leave. I just wish they wouldn't spend 20-30 minutes loving around at Vista sometimes. I could be at work that much faster, but nooooo.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Eeeew you ride the bus? It's one of those things that strikes me as fine in theory, but pretty annoying in reality. Condolences.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
If Orlando/Clermont has any reasonable form of public transport I would quite literally use it every day.

So sick of gas prices.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
When I was a MK cp only the A bus went to MK and you had to fight over it.

Back then they used American Coach but now they use transtar. Same lovely service and American coach works over at universal now which is almost poetic.

I lived in Vista Way but I gladly drove my rear end from California for my second program to avoid the buses.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cais posted:

When I was a MK cp only the A bus went to MK and you had to fight over it.

Now we have A and B and they are usually one right after the other, so when one gets packed, just wait a few moments. At least in theory. They have been doing a wonderful thing lately which is sending a bus to West Clock around MK closing time that just goes to West Clock and back to the complexes, no hotel stops. I catch it most nights because I do Fantasyland ropes most nights, and it's great. Hardly anyone on it because everyone ruses the A or B and it just goes home, getting me there in like 15-20 minutes.

Thus far, apart from a few dickhole drivers, I have no issue with Transtar.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If you were at Magic Kingdom today and wanted to ride Winnie the Pooh and it was down, I'm probably the reason you can't have nice things.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Duty manager, we're evacuating pooh.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

101, evacuate pooh erryday.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

101, evacuate pooh erryday.

Grats. I was once in the control tower at Space Mountain when there was a main lift issue and I had to shut it down. I was immediately rotated out into the greeter position to get yelled at for the decision by pissed off guests. Harsh.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Whats the official response ticket sellers are supposed to give if guests complain about how high prices are?

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

BlueBayou posted:

Whats the official response ticket sellers are supposed to give if guests complain about how high prices are?

Suck it up Princess! You see, because they call everyone Princess...

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I don't have the link in front of me but there was a new story a couple of months ago detailing ticket prices and how much the Disney experience cost per hour, and it ended up being relatively cheap for what you get in comparison to other equivalent attractions like shows or movies and stuff.

I dunno if that's what you would officially tell someone but whatev, that's why I have no interest in working at Guest Relations.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I would say that if prices were lower lines would be even longer.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tell them if it's so expensive, don't come. This will leave room in line for other families who want to pay to come. And hang up.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Tell them if it's so expensive, don't come. This will leave room in line for other families who want to pay to come. And hang up.

This always works.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

If you were at Magic Kingdom today and wanted to ride Winnie the Pooh and it was down, I'm probably the reason you can't have nice things.

Wait is there a story here?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Nathilus posted:

Grats. I was once in the control tower at Space Mountain when there was a main lift issue and I had to shut it down. I was immediately rotated out into the greeter position to get yelled at for the decision by pissed off guests. Harsh.

Ever been at greeter when a fire alarm goes off? That's a fun one. Everyone out right now, no recovery, no time to explain, yes I know you waited an hour but right now I really need you not to be on fire sir.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Nah, we luckily only had fire alarms go off while I was there when the joint was nearly empty. I went through two or three but none of those instances was very stressful.

That "SHUT IT DOWN! SHUT IT DOWN FOREVE.... WHOOPS I'M GREETER NOW" instance was the worst thing that happened to me there. (Video recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ZSDCvUwN8)

This fat lady wouldn't stop screaming at me and got even shriller when one of my coworkers came by and was like, "noice breakin' down the ride dawg I heard they gotta get maintenance to check the main lift chain and its gonna be like two hours. Good call, mang." and she realized that I was in fact personally responsible for her day, disney vacation, year, and life being RUINED by this.

I was seriously about to tear off her face and feed it back to her then get fired for doing so when my favorite manager became psychically aware of the situation and came out to save my rear end. I've never taken being yelled/screamed at well. By the time he arrived, I was right up in that lady's face, probably beet red with fury, and about to say something very, very rude. He was like, "Whoa it's getting a bit hot out here. Good job keeping this under control Nathilus, sorry we left you hanging so long. Go hit up the break room and rest a few minutes." I shot him a look of pure thankfulness as he shot me a look that told me he knew I had been within an inch of being fired, and suddenly everything was all good.

There was a beneficial side-effect though. After that I really felt like part of the team more than ever and also was pretty confident in my management team havin' my back even when it wasn't my best and proudest day on the job. I never got so hot under the collar again (no one tried to yell at me for 40 minutes straight again after that), but management never failed me either. Obviously the on the ground managers are there to ensure things run smoothly, not to babysit pissy CPs; but the Tomorrowland management crew at the time, at least, seemed to genuinely care about us lowly ops jerks and went the extra mile to make us happy when possible.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 29, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Taima posted:

Wait is there a story here?

Not particularlly. The ride chose the moment I was at Dispatch, sending honeypots into the ride, to decide it no longer wanted to send honeypots for some odd reason. I closed the gates, closed the doors, and the button went green to send, and...nothing happened. So we cascaded into an automatic emergency stop which requires a manager and coordinator to approve restarting the ride. After I rotated out of position, the same issue occured again, shutting us down for over an hour. I got to tell people who were clearly not interested in my magical mumbo jumbo that we had a honey spill that needed to be cleaned up.

As for the horrifying Space Mountain story: god. drat. I genuinely like most of the managers that I run across in Fantasyland. One of them is someone I can't quite get a read on, because he seems like he's strict as hell, but I see him basically not following protocol all the time. Today they were out in force to make sure we were well hydrated and doing okay, along with our coordinators, all of whom I think are nice people, even when they clearly want to pull all of their hair out because our ride constantly shits the bed.

In recent news: I got a Four Keys Fanatic card today (I think they used to be something else) because I was rocking the big numbers at Mad Tea Party. Hell yeah, add ones. Also, we have a regular customer who pretends to be Johnny Depp to try and use the fastpass entrance. It's a very entertaining thing.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Roar posted:

I don't have the link in front of me but there was a new story a couple of months ago detailing ticket prices and how much the Disney experience cost per hour, and it ended up being relatively cheap for what you get in comparison to other equivalent attractions like shows or movies and stuff.

Was it this one?
http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/03/11/relative-cost-disney-world-park-ticket/

Good to know about this one, I may have to show it to my boyfriend. I know he's leery about the cost of Disney World, and he loves going to museums and plays so the data about Book of Mormon and Met tickets will likely make him sit up and take notice. I probably won't convince him to go anytime soon - I'm trying not to give him too hard a sell - but at least it will plant a seed in his mind.