Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Almagest damage is reduced by shell, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

eh

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Berserk requires Wonder Wand manipulation or Power Staff grinding with the teams I mentioned (Berserk is a 5th-level spell, so White Mage only) and getting Flash to hit on Shinryu is... well, let's just say it's a hell of a feat and far from "trivial".

EDIT: Actually, crunching the numbers on a lark - at L40, Flash has a 18% chance of even checking Shinryu's 95% Magic Evade. That comes to slightly less than 1% total probability of the attack hitting. In the meantime, he's chewing apart your incredibly squishy mages who have nothing more than Main-Gauches, Mirage Vest refreshes, and Mighty Guard (or a Red Mage's Protect) to keep them standing. So sure, he can be berserked with a little effort, but it's not "trivialized" with that team so much as "managable with a steady stream of phoenix downs and Raise spells".

Aw dang I didn't do the math. Never mind then.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I wonder what classes the original 4 Warriors of Dawn specialized in? I always kind of assumed that Bartz' dad was the fighter stereotype, but Zeza (Xezat) calls himself the swordsman so he probably has dibs. Did that make Dorgann a support class?! I assume they have the same crystal spirits, but it would be pretty wild if the other world had a separate job set. They all seem to like swords though, so maybe it was freelancer all day every day.

Xezat - Knight/Samurai
Galuf - Monk/Berserker
Kelger - Time Mage/Ninja
Dorgann - Bard/White Mage

There's my imaginary party that crushes Exdeath 30 years before the start of the game. Are there any other clues that would hint at their professions?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Xezat was a dancer. A dancer of swords

EDIT: Seriously speaking, I can't picture Galuf as anything other than a Monk, except maybe a Berserker. He just gives off that gruff, masculine vibe.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I always saw Xezat as more of a mage type, with some Bard stuff. You do find a magic song in his room.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lessail posted:

Omega decided he didn't like me so I went and killed Exdeath before I forgot to

All that's left is to beat O&S and I'll be content with my first ever fiesta run!

Seriously thought you were talking about Ornstein and Smough for a second there.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sage/Blackbelt/Swordmaster/Pirate, obviously.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Dorgann was clearly a Dancer.

Where else would Bartz have gotten that outfit?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr Pepper posted:

I always saw Xezat as more of a mage type, with some Bard stuff. You do find a magic song in his room.

Xezat calls himself 'the swordsman', so he's clearly at least got Equip Sword.

More seriously, in the FF1 GBA remakes, some of the default names are the Dawn Warriors if you keep making it suggest them for you. Xezat is a default name for a Fighter; Dorgann (spelled Dorgan) is a Monk name, and Kelger (spelled Kelga) is a Thief name.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

So I combed through the Algorithms guide and spent several hours making a rough boss guide that lists status vulnerabilities. I skipped a few minor bosses, and I don't bother differentiating some stuff like the Liquid Flame forms, but I can clean that stuff up another day. In the meantime, enjoy a guide that actually tells you what status effects a boss is weak to. I've learned a few surprising things doing this, like just how many enemies are weak to blind.

e: Let me know if I messed anything up, since I did all this by hand.

Not a mistake necessarily, but saying X-Death is vunerable to slow is just encouraging someone to hasten their inevitable demise.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Dr Pepper posted:

Xezat's animations on the ship and in the Barrier Tower do suggest that he's frying monsters with magic, but he also looks like he's going toe-to-toe with Enkidu, so maybe he's multiclassing. Red or Blue Mage, maybe?

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Well, decided to do a second run, random this time.

Knight for my wind job. Time to not run from anything until I find out if I get something that can use the chicken knife properly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xezat is actually a guns'braster. This is canon.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

...This is going to sound like a dumb question, but how exactly do pledges work with regards to the job fair? Do you tweet a pledge, make a donation, and notify Gilgabot?

Quoting because I have the same question. Doing a 750 run & got Black Mage/Summoner/Bard/Dancer and I had Dancer last year in a regular run so I really want to try something different but not 100% sure what order the job fair stuff is supposed to go in.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
If you go to the Job Fair page, it'll compose the tweet for you. Just set up your classes, hit submit, tweet it, then go donate.

Make sure you put a message in your donation telling RK what your twitter handle is and that it's for the Job Fair.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Welp, farming reflect knights in the barrier tower. One down so far, let's see how long it takes to get the rest.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Sprite141 posted:

Welp, farming reflect knights in the barrier tower. One down so far, let's see how long it takes to get the rest.

I got fairly lucky when I did it on my first run, 40 minutes or so for all 4 rings, which I needed to survive Exdeath. Helps if you can shut down the trash pulls so you don't burn consumables though.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Having an absolute blast with Blue Mage. It really is a great job.
Turning Garula into a frog and then blasting him with Aero was effective and hilarious.

My Water job was Red Mage. I know there isn't much synergy with Blue, but how best can I use this guy? (Aside from the obvious snapping of rods all day long)

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Woo victory! Had to back out of the void to farm elixirs in the wind shrine :gonk:

BUT THEN I WON! :black101: EAT IT, NEO EXDEATH.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

SereneCrimson posted:

Having an absolute blast with Blue Mage. It really is a great job.
Turning Garula into a frog and then blasting him with Aero was effective and hilarious.

My Water job was Red Mage. I know there isn't much synergy with Blue, but how best can I use this guy? (Aside from the obvious snapping of rods all day long)

Unfortunately all you can really do is use it as a Raise machine and snap rods all day long. Dualcasting Raise helped me sandbag Neo Exdeath until I could pull a strategy out of my rear end. Every other class that has synergy with Red Mage is in Wind and Water, however so you're flat out of luck otherwise.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

SereneCrimson posted:

For the first half of the game, your red mage will be able to fill in for any role your blue mage cannot fill. After a certain point, unfortunately, the effectiveness of third-level black and white magic drops pretty badly, until life and the status-effect spells are the only ones that you'll have any use for. Once you get dualcast, you can wring some more life out of the -a attack and healing spells, but even those will need to be rod-boosted with the wizard rod or what have you.

My recommendation would be to turn someone into a semi-permanent red mage, in order to get dualcast on at least one person before the end of the game. Blue would be a great ability to give them, actually.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
First Fiesta run ever successful! Dancer/Knight/Ranger/Time Mage. Next time I'll actually adopt some Berserkers or something, this run's keyphrase was "complete melee superiority". Also "no multi-target healing except for Nightingale", but that's probably more than most fiesta-ers get. Beaten Exdeath by mostly dancing with Excalibur and using Quick to sandbag and throw Meteors.

Maybe I should go for Omega, at least, but last time I checked him out, he got something like seven turns in a row and obliterated me utterly. Maybe break out Quick and rods.

Edit: Welp, turns out Omega has reflect on and for whatever reason I can't reflect rod spells off my party members. Gonna have to do some research.

Aithon fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 21, 2014

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think Poison Rod boosted Bio is good enough to at least get you through the third world. Granted it's about half the damage of an -aga with a boosted rod, but it's still powerful and inflicts sap.

At least it's a lot let painful to slog through than a monk from my current experience.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think Poison Rod boosted Bio is good enough to at least get you through the third world. Granted it's about half the damage of an -aga with a boosted rod, but it's still powerful and inflicts sap.

At least it's a lot let painful to slog through than a monk from my current experience.

Bio's level 4 and Red Mage cuts off at level 3, apart from dualcasting boosted -ra spells, Red Mage's endgame use is as a medic since Phoenix Downs cost an assload.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Don't forget, they can also cast armor! Twice! :saddowns:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
A whole bunch of status-effect spells are level 3 or lower, so Red Mages are also good at that poo poo. Double chances to silence Omniscient, the ability to confuse two enemies in a random encounter, etc.

Status effects are underrated in FF5 by people who play without restrictions. The only time Red Mage is really a burden is on Neo Exdeath.

And poo poo, being able to dualcast protect actually is kind of useful.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So after like 3-4 levels worth of grinding, I finally get all 3 reflect rings in a row.

I actually will end up in my mid 30s before I end world 2, if only because of grinding items.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Forgot it was level 4.

There is one other possibility though; I asked this last year but never got an answer. If you have a ninja, are you able to break a rod and possess the boost of the other rod? (i.e, equip 2 fire rods and break one)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

A whole bunch of status-effect spells are level 3 or lower, so Red Mages are also good at that poo poo. Double chances to silence Omniscient, the ability to confuse two enemies in a random encounter, etc.

Status effects are underrated in FF5 by people who play without restrictions. The only time Red Mage is really a burden is on Neo Exdeath.

And poo poo, being able to dualcast protect actually is kind of useful.

Red Mage ended up saving my bacon against Neo Exdeath, partly because of Protect and partly because of being able to simultaneously get Bartz and Lenna up so they could actually do the heavy lifting. Faris was too busy singing and keeping Lenna from running out of MP.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Thanks for the Red Mage tips guys!

I'm pretty happy to have a guy who can use Confuse, so I can get some of those peskier Blue spells. As well as Cura just being nice to have for a decent little chunk of the game.

Right now I'm just spending some time to get the cash to stock up on rods. I'm sure I don't have to go overboard with them, but I'd like to have a nice stockpile in order to make sure I'm for the most part prepared if I need to get snappin'.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FeyerbrandX posted:

Forgot it was level 4.

There is one other possibility though; I asked this last year but never got an answer. If you have a ninja, are you able to break a rod and possess the boost of the other rod? (i.e, equip 2 fire rods and break one)

Actually, yes.

Then again, I find the extra utility of rodboosted, !Magic-boosted !Throw to be more than trying to do clever rodbreaks.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

And my second job is Summoner. 2 new jobs so far, and I'm definitely not going to be lacking damage output. Now to figure out how to beat Shiva.

Edit: Oh right, break a rod, kill a boss.

Vhadka fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 21, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I just got to World 3 and didn't get any Reflect Rings, are they gone for good?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Countblanc posted:

No, you can steal them in the phoenix tower. I think from the flower girls.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Countblanc posted:

You can find one in a chest in Istory Falls, Leviathan drops one if you dare brave him. I'm pretty sure they're a common steal from one of the enemies in the Phoenix Tower.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Ugh, Twintania is looking to be another wall like Byblos was. His Tidal Wave counters bring my Bard and Dancer to critical and it only takes two of them to wipe the whole group. I either need to grind or go drop some cash on 3 more Coral Rings.

EDIT: Nevermind, got him with just the one Coral Ring on my Knight. I still had to play defense heavily at times, but luckily I only had to eat 2 Waves before he went down.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 21, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
drat died to Neo-Exdeath as he was nearing death. What reduces Almagest, as I don't want to grind everyone above 1600 to survive it. Got a White Mage, Time Mage, Ranger, and Dragoon.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rirse posted:

drat died to Neo-Exdeath as he was nearing death. What reduces Almagest, as I don't want to grind everyone above 1600 to survive it. Got a White Mage, Time Mage, Ranger, and Dragoon.

Shell works if you have that or Mighty Guard. Otherwise try Olding that section with the Ancient Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bufuman posted:

Shell works if you have that or Mighty Guard. Otherwise try Olding that section with the Ancient Sword.

I don't have anyone who can use swords, but I do have Old on my Time Mage.

• Locked thread