Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Monaghan posted:

I'm going to watch this movie in theaters if only to hear Chris Sabat's vegeta singing that goofy "bingo" song.

Oh god. Words cannot express how badly I need to see this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Monaghan posted:

I'm going to watch this movie in theaters if only to hear Chris Sabat's vegeta singing that goofy "bingo" song.

Exactly. Plus, how often are we going to see a Dragonball movie in theaters in this country?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The 2nd Broly movie rules for having the single greatest Krillin moment in series history.:colbert:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

The 2nd Broly movie rules for having the single greatest Krillin moment in series history.:colbert:

What even was the point of that fakeout? It was so out of nowhere too.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

HGH posted:

What even was the point of that fakeout? It was so out of nowhere too.

Piccolo always comes to Gohan's rescue in the movies.

Ergo, if Krillin wants to have an important role in the movie, he must take Piccolo's place! :pseudo:

MastG
May 25, 2014
Why do aliens have such a boner for Gohan? Piccolo got so attached he stopped being evil, Dende might as well be Gohan's little brother, and Supreme Kai for no adequately explored reason decided Gohan was so amazing that he'd be the savior of the universe.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MastG posted:

Why do aliens have such a boner for Gohan? Piccolo got so attached he stopped being evil, Dende might as well be Gohan's little brother, and Supreme Kai for no adequately explored reason decided Gohan was so amazing that he'd be the savior of the universe.

They all watched Dragon Ball and thought Goku's son must be the coolest guy ever.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MastG posted:

Gohan was stronger than literally everyone currently active in the universe by the time he was eleven.

That's a pretty loving good reason.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Also, desperate tries to make Goku pass the torch to Gohan.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it true Toriyama kept trying to do just that but every time he tried his editors/fans kept pushing for more focus back on Goku so eventually just gave up?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pierson posted:

Is it true Toriyama kept trying to do just that but every time he tried his editors/fans kept pushing for more focus back on Goku so eventually just gave up?

Yes.

I think he even admitted as much in an interview, which makes it one of the more legitimate rumours.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I think he also said that eventually he gave up trying to make Gohan the hero, because it didn't feel right or something.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Why did Dodoria think it was a great idea to tell Vegeta something that would just piss him off as a deal to set him free?

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

crankdatbatman posted:

Why did Dodoria think it was a great idea to tell Vegeta something that would just piss him off as a deal to set him free?

He told Vegeta he would tell Vegeta a secret if he let him go. Vegeta let him go, and he told him. He thought Vegeta was a honorable warrior and not a jerk.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cozz posted:

He told Vegeta he would tell Vegeta a secret if he let him go. Vegeta let him go, and he told him. He thought Vegeta was a honorable warrior and not a jerk.

It's like telling a guy who's beating the poo poo out of you that you'll tell him a secret if he lets you go. And that secret is "I hosed your mom last night".

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

crankdatbatman posted:

It's like telling a guy who's beating the poo poo out of you that you'll tell him a secret if he lets you go. And that secret is "I hosed your mom last night".

I'd probably do the same with Vegeta. Not like he was gonna let me live anyway.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

At that point Vegeta didn't know that Frezia destroyed Planet Vegeta. Dodoria is seconds away from dying, and is doing his best to try and stay alive. Vegeta easily overpowers Dodoria. Here's how the panels in the manga went.

Vegeta: Look at what happened to your strength, the strength you were once so proud of. May you be reincarnated as true warrior.

Dodoria: Wait, Vegeta, if you let me go, I'll tell you a secret! It's about the Saiyan Planet, Planet Vegeta!"

Vegeta: What! (Let's Dodoria go) Planet Vegeta, What is there about Planet Vegeta that I don't know?"

Obviously, this was just a technique used to establish Frezia as the true destroyer of Planet Vegeta, and that Frezia is scared of a Sayian uprising, and give Vegeta a character moment, since Vegeta says he doesn't actually care about the Planet Vegeta or other Sayians. Dodoria is obviously stupid in that he actually believed Vegeta would let him live, but Dodoria isn't going to let Vegeta's dishonesty keep him from keeping his end of the bargain.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I was just saying that Dodoria is stupid, more or less

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The same could be said of all DBZ characters.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

DBZ is not exactly a thinking man's animu.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
DBZ is the most intellectual anime ever conceived. Every other anime is just trying to ape its level of discourse and intelligence.

Even LOGH pales in comparison to the rich, nuanced narrative of Goku punch successfully stronger dudes slightly harder than the last one.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Piccolo knew that Goku needed to become even stronger after death, so that's why he told Raditz that Goku would simply come back to life, tricking Raditz into revealing that the other Sayians were coming to Earth. He also knew that instead of telling Vegeta and Nappa that the Dragon Balls would be inert for a year because they used them to bring Goku back to life, it would be better to fight them and get his redemption by saving Gohan.

Going back to Multiverse chat, Universe 13 Vegeta is the best Vegeta, slaughtering his ghost Sayians with pure joy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cozz posted:

Going back to Multiverse chat, Universe 13 Vegeta is the best Vegeta, slaughtering his ghost Sayians with pure joy.

He really is. Has he had any big scenes before this fight? I was also a little surprised to see him go SS2 - I'll be interested to see just how strong he is.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, since we're in movie talk, has anybody seen Plan to Eradicate the Sayians or any of it's variations?

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

He really is. Has he had any big scenes before this fight? I was also a little surprised to see him go SS2 - I'll be interested to see just how strong he is.

His only fight thus far was against that chick that turned him into female Vegeta.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So, since we're in movie talk, has anybody seen Plan to Eradicate the Sayians or any of it's variations?

I watched the version that came with one of the games on Youtube, and it was all right. Typical movie fare, everyone but Goku is useless.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I only saw Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans that came with Raging Blast 2. The big bad is defeated by counting.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's easily the most boring movie out of the whole lot.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

WickedHate posted:

It's easily the most boring movie out of the whole lot.

Wasn't it an educational game in Japan? All I remember was that it was on something called the Playdia (love the name).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Wasn't it an educational game in Japan? All I remember was that it was on something called the Playdia (love the name).

Those were the sequels. The original was an RPG on the NES.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rudoku posted:

That was on the latest Did You Know Gaming. It had a card game system like Supersonic Warriors. Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans would have been better if it was a short ten minute commercial for the game instead of an hour(original) or half hour(remake).

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Some Numbers posted:

I think he also said that eventually he gave up trying to make Gohan the hero, because it didn't feel right or something.

In retrospect, it really doesn't. Gohan always seemed to hate the part of himself that relished a fight and the one time he straight up rejected his better nature his father ended up dying. Being the strongest mortal alive doesn't make you the right man for the job by default.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Supersonic Warriors did not have a card game system.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Probably thinking of Legendary Super Warriors, aka the best DBZ game.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

Supersonic Warriors did not have a card game system.

drat, I looked it up and you're right, I was thinking of Legendary Super Warriors.

Caros
May 14, 2008

WhiffleballDude posted:

Probably thinking of Legendary Super Warriors, aka the best DBZ game.

Funny way of writing Legend of the Super Saiyan. :colbert:

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

I'm sure it hasn't aged well in 25 years, but I enjoyed playing the Translated Rom of the SNES Compilation of the NES Card Game RPG back in the late 90's/early 2000's. Having Tien (and possibly Yamcha) survive the battle with the Sayians was fun, but I don't believe I ever beat Super Sayian Vegeta in that game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also the best DBZ game is actually Sagas

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Budokai 3 :catbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Legacy of Goku II was pretty awesome. The first was terrible, but I never played Buu's Fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
With the forums down, I finally had time to read Dragon Ball Multiverse. Some impressions:

- Goddamn some of this art is TERRIBLE.

- Goddamn some of this art is actually pretty good.

- Whoever's writing this doesn't have a high opinion of women.

- I feel like Bra's character should be really annoying but she's actually pretty fun.

- Actually, you know what, the female characters fit really well with the Toriyama atmosphere.

- Gag manga characters being overpowered never stops being funny.

- It's fun to read a Dragon Ball story where Goku's only above-average, not really elite.

- I had no idea how badly I wanted new DBZ stories. poo poo, this could be like ten times worse and I would still read it.

• Locked thread