Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Viscardus posted:

Well, fair enough if I was wrong about the call in that game being correct. My understanding was that it had something to do with the nuance of the New Zealand player being offside but not having been considered to have affected the play until the Italian defender touched the ball, which seems like a rather absurd explanation, because how can you really determine whether his offside position affected the play?

As far as I know, most of it boils down to "has the player touched the ball?". If not, he hasn't influenced the play.

Zip! posted:

Offsides wouldn't be too hard to automate or be called by a TV ref - you just have a fixed camera set up behind each goal and a virtual game line tracking up and down the pitch following the last man.

Which is already implemented, at least in replays. Just make it real time and put another referee in charge of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zip! posted:

Offsides wouldn't be too hard to automate or be called by a TV ref - you just have a fixed camera set up behind each goal and a virtual game line tracking up and down the pitch following the last man.

I'm all for teams getting 1 video challenge too - the way it works in field hockey is a team can ask to review anything that happens within 25 yards of goal.

I'd also play stop clock rather than injury time to cut down on the amount of lovely time wasting you get in games but thats another story.

Injury time is vastly preferable to stopping the clock. It removes incentive to quickly resume play, and sooner or later the advertising industry will lobby to standardize the amount of time each stop takes, and we will have commercial breaks during the game. gently caress that, excessive time wasting is punished by the refs anyway.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
Whew, just now caught up with this LP. Best LP I've ever read by the way.

I have a question though and it's probably ignorant because I don't know much about soccer or professional sports buuuuut when you sign these 16 year old kids to play for you, are they, like, full time players now? Don't they also have to go to school? How's that work?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Rexim posted:

Whew, just now caught up with this LP. Best LP I've ever read by the way.

I have a question though and it's probably ignorant because I don't know much about soccer or professional sports buuuuut when you sign these 16 year old kids to play for you, are they, like, full time players now? Don't they also have to go to school? How's that work?

Most bigger clubs have boarding schools for exceptionally talented kids where they finish school in the morning and then head off to training in the afternoon. It still feels like child trafficking sometimes especially if you hear about the megabastards chasing some 11 year old and so on but what can you do.

For the less rich clubs you tend to finish school at your new place (depending on your place of orignin there might even be a native language school to be had in bigger cities) while having regular training, so you can at least finish your education.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Like Rexim, I've just finished a read-through of the thread, having started it a week or so ago. It's been a surprisingly gripping read. I was childishly delighted with Bailey's triumphant return and, ah, re-education, and gobsmacked when Sky Shadowing took over Southampton. Thank you, Habeas. It's been a hell of a ride.

One of the things that's impressed me most about the game is how accurately it models the sheer random chaos of soccer results. Whilst better sides will usually win over poorer sides, and big gaps in quality do shine through, soccer is very variable, and the best team may well not win on the night. Refs are definitely a significant part of that turbulence, but there's a whole boatload of other factors as well.

I'm not suggesting this excuses poor refereeing, or justifies its continued existence. I'm only pointing out that even with perfect rulings, the game would still be damned chaotic and unpredictable.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
I'm not suggesting we need to alter the fundamental nature of the game by adding clock stoppage or providing automatic breaks for video replay or some such. That stuff works in Gridiron football, not soccer. But if FIFA wants their sport taken seriously as the biggest one on Earth, there's a responsibility to present the fairest possible version of the game within the confines of human fallibility and the rules of the game. Blown calls are indeed inevitable, but that is not an excuse for them if/when they happen. After all, this is a sport run by literally the most corrupt institution on Earth. If we're supposed to accept bad calls as "all part of the game" then why not accept bribing the referees as the same?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

GenHavoc posted:

I'm not suggesting we need to alter the fundamental nature of the game by adding clock stoppage or providing automatic breaks for video replay or some such. That stuff works in Gridiron football, not soccer. But if FIFA wants their sport taken seriously as the biggest one on Earth, there's a responsibility to present the fairest possible version of the game within the confines of human fallibility and the rules of the game. Blown calls are indeed inevitable, but that is not an excuse for them if/when they happen. After all, this is a sport run by literally the most corrupt institution on Earth. If we're supposed to accept bad calls as "all part of the game" then why not accept bribing the referees as the same?

Taken seriously? I thought it was unconditionally acknowledged as the biggest sport on earth.

As for all the rules lawyering going on, let's just leave it as it is, ok? Goal line tech is pretty needed, and maybe an extra official near the box whose sole duty it is is to watch for fouls. Anything else is going to impact the flow of the game in some way, and isn't acceptable. Maybe once we have robots watching, it'll change, but not now.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
:toot: for the Ticos.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

rizzen posted:

Taken seriously? I thought it was unconditionally acknowledged as the biggest sport on earth.

As for all the rules lawyering going on, let's just leave it as it is, ok? Goal line tech is pretty needed, and maybe an extra official near the box whose sole duty it is is to watch for fouls. Anything else is going to impact the flow of the game in some way, and isn't acceptable. Maybe once we have robots watching, it'll change, but not now.

Maybe it is, but if so, that's why "just let it go, cheating, corruption, and blown calls are fine" is so unacceptable. There are absolutely things that can be done to improve the game without impeding it's flow. Even those few things you suggested, which would do wonders to help out, will either never be implemented or were only implemented after flagrant mis-calls deciding the outcome of what is supposedly the most important sporting competition in the world. Declaring it's not worth fixing is tantamount to declaring it's not important enough to bother with.

Soccer is unquestionably played more than any other sport I know of (save maybe Tag or something), but I have a hard time recognizing its claim of being the most important sport in the world when less effort is exerted to ensure the outcome is fair in the World Cup Finals than is exerted at a Little League Baseball game to decide the regional Middle School champions of northeastern Idaho.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I don't think all you people who have just really started watching football 'get' it. It's *supposed* to be unfair, that's part of the...for lack of a better term 'magic' of the game.

There's a reason people call it more of an art form than a sport.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

A Tartan Tory posted:

It's *supposed* to be unfair, that's part of the...for lack of a better term 'magic' of the game.

No, it's not. The magic of the sport for me are the KO tournaments, in which a small team can beat a megabastard. Perfect refereeing would actually increase the chances of an upset, because most of the wrong calls favor the big teams.

Not that complaining about the referee isn't fun, though.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, I watch the game to see Costa Rica be the real giant in the group of death, and for great, exciting games.

Bad refereeing and corruption hurt that for me. I don't want to add more play stoppages, but a couple more refs on the field and one in the booth to check if an offside goal was actually offside, and strict post game punishment for diving or missed serious fouls would all help.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I assume it's down to how most of the soccer world has far more exposure to either their domestic league or one of the big European/South American leagues. I always know that bad calls against my team in the league will be offset by calls going for them later, it averages out over a season.

It's different when you mostly watch the tournaments, especially in the knockout stages.

Punishing people for diving after a match would be a very good idea though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I watched the Italy/Costa Rica match just to see the last tattered remnants of Ingerland's hopes be swept away.

:smith:

(The commentators were quick to point out that this is the first time Ingerland have been knocked out of the World Cup this early since 1950something.)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
This current World Cup owns, but ironically it's also the sort of thing that allows us to take a look at FM's crazy World Cups and say 'Holy crap, is FM right?' :stare:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So 2 questions.

1) When would you not be allowed to withdraw players from international games? Now that you run the USMNT, it would look more suspicious when you pull the Rock and the Meteor from the Australian Squad before the U.S plays them.

2)How many possible trophies can Wrexham win including the unimportant ones? Currently I can think of 7, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League, Premier League, Club World Cup, Community Shield and the Super Cup.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
1) I don't believe you're allowed to withdraw international players from competitive matches- continental competitions (like the Gold Cup, which Mr. Brown will be dealing with, the World Cup, and assorted qualifiers).

2) I think that's about it, unless there's an obscure competition you and I are both forgetting. I suppose in theory if you wanted to get relegated down three levels, you could win League One, the Paint Trophy, the League Cup, FA Cup, Community Shield, UEFA Super Cup, Champions League, and Club World Cup.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, I watch the game to see Costa Rica be the real giant in the group of death, and for great, exciting games.

Bad refereeing and corruption hurt that for me. I don't want to add more play stoppages, but a couple more refs on the field and one in the booth to check if an offside goal was actually offside, and strict post game punishment for diving or missed serious fouls would all help.

I agree completely. These sorts of changes would eliminate 95% of all the major problems I should think, all without slowly the pace of the game. Obviously people are only human and calls will be missed or flubbed, but taking every possible measure against that short of altering the actual play of the game is the only reasonable option for contests of this scale and notoriety.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

This current World Cup owns, but ironically it's also the sort of thing that allows us to take a look at FM's crazy World Cups and say 'Holy crap, is FM right?' :stare:

Yep. If Costa Rica won this group in FM we'd be saying "oh FM, you're so crazy" when they have a very good chance of doing just that IRL.

Dreamsicle posted:

So 2 questions.

1) When would you not be allowed to withdraw players from international games? Now that you run the USMNT, it would look more suspicious when you pull the Rock and the Meteor from the Australian Squad before the U.S plays them.

2)How many possible trophies can Wrexham win including the unimportant ones? Currently I can think of 7, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League, Premier League, Club World Cup, Community Shield and the Super Cup.

1) I can do it for friendlies, but not for competitive matches.

2) You're forgetting the Cwp! But yeah, you've got it right.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Can you do a Wrexham - USMNT friendly?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zip! posted:

I'd also play stop clock rather than injury time to cut down on the amount of lovely time wasting you get in games but thats another story.
*gently caress* no. Continuous play/stoppage time is literally the best thing about soccer. You know generally how long any given regulation game will be, that's something you can't really say for any other professional sport. The moment they introduce stoppages is the moment they introduce TV commercials is the moment everything goes downhill and games stop taking 120 or so minutes (depending on how long halftime is) and start taking 3+ hours.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 21, 2014

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I don't know how likely this is, given that football's structure is a universal thing: in terms of rules, the World Cup final has to be played by the same structure as the part-timers Wrexham were when we started, and this in every FIFA member country. Think of the English leagues: the Premiership might want that, but seeing as they're in the same pyramid as the several thousand other clubs in the FA and could concievably play them in cups etc. they'd be unable to implement it on their own and unable to force it on the rest. Repeat this problem everywhere.

A shift like that would completely annihilate the lower league teams that are made up of part-timers and amateurs, basically.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Obliterati posted:

I don't know how likely this is, given that football's structure is a universal thing: in terms of rules, the World Cup final has to be played by the same structure as the part-timers Wrexham were when we started, and this in every FIFA member country. Think of the English leagues: the Premiership might want that, but seeing as they're in the same pyramid as the several thousand other clubs in the FA and could concievably play them in cups etc. they'd be unable to implement it on their own and unable to force it on the rest. Repeat this problem everywhere.

A shift like that would completely annihilate the lower league teams that are made up of part-timers and amateurs, basically.

Exactly. This rules lawyering seems to happen every world cup. The flow of the game without interruption is part of what makes the sport. That and the fact that anyone with a ball, some grass and some sticks for posts can play it. Post game review of of incidents is the only thing I'll say that we need. The FA or whatever league awards punishments for missed incidents or dives.

Sicke
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly I just wanted a seal picture

habeasdorkus posted:

The star ratings given here are based upon the US staff evaluation, and not compared to Wrexham players. I've ordered my Wrexham scouting department to pour over every American or person with American eligibility in an effort to get us better/more accurate information.
So wait you mean to tell me that you, a good patriotic American, haven't fully scooped out America looking for amazing talents for your club?

Sicke fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 21, 2014

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
I'm a season ticket holder, watch 24+ live matches a season and honestly refereeing as it is now is a huge part of the game and why it's so compelling. I can't explain it, but I would vehemently oppose adding extra refs on the pitch or stopping the clock gridiron style.

That said, I would be behind video assistance for refs in certain situations and goal line tech is awesome! Changes like that, that don't stop the flow of the game, are infinitely more welcome than flooding the pitch with errorless refbots.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm against anything that stops the clock. My ideal changes would add some stoppage time in each half, but it generally wouldn't be much. But I completely agree that stopping the clock is a terrible, terrible idea and should never happen.

Sicke posted:

So wait you mean to tell me that you, a good patriotic American, haven't fully scooped out America looking for amazing talents for your club?

There were some young Americans I've had my eye on, but none were good and cheap enough for me when we were coming up.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Here's video of the French team flying back to their hotel after they beat Switzerland. At 1:34, you can see Pogba playing himself in Football Manager. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUuXq8OVS3g

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Franks Happy Place posted:

Here's video of the French team flying back to their hotel after they beat Switzerland. At 1:34, you can see Pogba playing himself in Football Manager. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUuXq8OVS3g

Looks like he is playing Chelsea vs Arsenal, I thought he played with some lovely Italian team?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Looks like he is playing Chelsea vs Arsenal, I thought he played with some lovely Italian team?

Juventus is hardly lovely other than the whole 'constantly cheating' thing!, but I thought the implication was that he'd managed his career to take him to the EPL? The source I got the link from said it was him playing as himself, I just assumed they looked hard at the screen and spotted something identifiable. :shrug:

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

ForeverBWFC posted:

I'm a season ticket holder, watch 24+ live matches a season and honestly refereeing as it is now is a huge part of the game and why it's so compelling. I can't explain it, but I would vehemently oppose adding extra refs on the pitch or stopping the clock gridiron style.

That said, I would be behind video assistance for refs in certain situations and goal line tech is awesome! Changes like that, that don't stop the flow of the game, are infinitely more welcome than flooding the pitch with errorless refbots.

I'm fine with leaving the structure of the game the way it is, not impeding the flow, as this is part of the charm of soccer, but I literally cannot fathom the notion that getting calls right is a bad thing. When the replacement referee debacle happened in the NFL, sixteen kinds of hell were raised on every single game. I've watched world cup elimination matches decided by a referee loving up a call that he would have gotten right with an extra pair of eyes on the field in the right place. Multiple times. And if that is actually the desired outcome, then I the entire sport occupies the same level of legitimacy as Professional Wrestling for all I'm concerned.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

That's a bit hyperbolic.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Maaan, the second half of Ghana vs Germany was absolutely amazing.

I really think there should be electronic assistance for referees, mostly because it would be a step in the right direction for reducing referee corruption. It's still waaaay too easy to make a 'mistake' and get away with it.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Festive Transvestite posted:

That's a bit hyperbolic.

Perhaps so. But I'll just point out that in the hour between me writing that post and this one, Bosnia had one of the most beautiful goals I've seen in a while disallowed by another flagrantly bad offsides call, a call which may well knock them out of the entire tournament. So you'll forgive me if I balk at the notion that getting those calls right would spoil the purity of the game.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Its really loving cool when people who have watched 5 football matches in their entire life come up with their totally original and not at all asinine suggestions on how to fix this terrible lovely broken sport that obviously doesn't work as well as college basketball. What fools we are for enjoying a sport less sophisticated than Korfball.

Thank you brave trailblazers for showing us the error of our ways.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GenHavoc posted:

Perhaps so. But I'll just point out that in the hour between me writing that post and this one, Bosnia had one of the most beautiful goals I've seen in a while disallowed by another flagrantly bad offsides call, a call which may well knock them out of the entire tournament. So you'll forgive me if I balk at the notion that getting those calls right would spoil the purity of the game.

Yeah, gently caress that decision. That was a beautiful goal. I just hope Bosnia will be able to make a comeback in the next half. (EDIT: Nooooooope)

Football trivia time: Do you know that the penalties are awarded based on the position of the fouling player, not the ball or the fouled player? A friend of mine works as a referee in a lot of matches between village teams, and that particular situation cropped up when a player grabbed a rock he found in the box and threw it at an opposing player half the field away. :v:

my dad fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 22, 2014

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Kuno posted:

Its really loving cool when people who have watched 5 football matches in their entire life come up with their totally original and not at all asinine suggestions on how to fix this terrible lovely broken sport that obviously doesn't work as well as college basketball. What fools we are for enjoying a sport less sophisticated than Korfball.

I really should break out that old '15 ways to improve Gridiron' post I made back in 1999 after watching about 10 games.

I wish I could find that massive effort post about US sports fans liking 'statistical' stuff and most other countries sports fans liking 'heart' stuff. Was an interesting read.

GenHavoc posted:

If you want to be taken seriously call it offside, not offsides which is an entirely different rule. :colbert:

Calls go for and against you all the time, generally they even themselves out. It only adds to the excitement.

There's nothing worse than not winning because of a bad call, but there's nothing better than winning because of a bad call as well! There are quite a few examples of both...my favourite is probably this one (for context, if Scotland drew this match, they would have qualified for a tournament) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQVpYvP4toc.

Franks Happy Place posted:

Juventus is hardly lovely other than the whole 'constantly cheating' thing!, but I thought the implication was that he'd managed his career to take him to the EPL? The source I got the link from said it was him playing as himself, I just assumed they looked hard at the screen and spotted something identifiable. :shrug:

I don't have a very good opinion of Italian football, for the spoilered reason you mention actually!

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 22, 2014

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Kuno posted:

It's even cooler when hipster douchebags decide to piss all over anyone who thinks that a referee being blind (or paid off) should not, ideally, be the deciding factor for the biggest sport on Earth. You're literally arguing that getting calls right is not only unimportant but bad for the sport. Give me a single reason why another referee in a skybox looking for Offside in the World Cup or similarly-statured tournaments is an "asinine idea", and I'll withdraw it. Otherwise gently caress off.

A Tartan Tory posted:

I really should break out that old '15 ways to improve Gridiron' post I made back in 1999 after watching about 10 games.

I wish I could find that massive effort post about US sports fans liking 'statistical' stuff and most other countries sports fans liking 'heart' stuff. Was an interesting read.

Hey, go for it. US Football could certainly use a few changes as well. But what I'm proposing is a couple simple alterations that doesn't alter the flow of the game at all. I don't want timeouts, I don't want replay breaks, I don't want to turn the sport into something it's not. I just want to make sure that the calls that get made are right as often as possible. And I flat out don't understand not wanting that.

A Tartan Tory posted:

If you want to be taken seriously call it offside, not offsides which is an entirely different rule. :colbert:

Calls go for and against you all the time, generally they even themselves out. It only adds to the excitement.

There's nothing worse than not winning because of a bad call, but there's nothing better than winning because of a bad call as well! There are quite a few examples of both...my favourite is probably this one (for context, if Scotland drew this match, they would have qualified for a tournament) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQVpYvP4toc.

Somehow I doubt that most Bosnians think what just happened was "exiciting". Their first-ever appearance in the World Cup, a brilliantly hard-fought loss against Argentina, and they get knocked out of the tournament completely on not one but two bullshit calls in succession. How exactly is that supposed to even itself out? Am I supposed to root for Nigeria to get similarly screwed in their next match? If this were an entire season, I could see your point, but every single goal in every single match is fantastically important in the World Cup, and these calls are the difference between winning and being sent home in disgrace.

Bad calls are gonna happen, even if you stack the field with refs, I get that. But there is no earthly way that I will accept that what happened this afternoon was "ideal" and "working as intended". And if you're not going to take all reasonable measures to ensure that you're playing a fair game, then what the gently caress are any of us doing here? Because I don't accept for one instant that the purified essence of Soccer is a dice roll to see which team the refs are going to allow to win while some guys kick a ball in the background.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
...So, hey, habeas, how about that next update? Getting a little warm in here.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

GenHavoc posted:

Because I don't accept for one instant that the purified essence of Soccer is a dice roll to see which team the refs are going to allow to win while some guys kick a ball in the background.

Sounds a lot like Blood Bowl to me. Just replace "the refs" with "Nuffle", "a ball" with "other players", and there you go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Hmm. Bosnia sure did get screwed by the referees today.

• Locked thread