Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
A guy on my Facebook just posted a nutshot of a particularly classy passenger on the bus, but I'm hesitant to link it because it's not the fun, Schadenfreude thread kind of nutshot :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Hedera Helix posted:

Did she catch the disease she was supposed to have been inoculated against, or did she get sick from the snake oil?
If it was homeopathic, no. Unless she was allergic to water.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I like that guy bitching about waste water. Modern facilities discharge cleaner water than the stuff they're dumping into. Hell, places use big rear end UV light banks to zap the water sterile.

Y'all would be amazed at the work that gets done making your poo poo, piss, condoms, or anything else you flush go away. Nicest lab I've ever been in was for a poo poo factory servicing a city of ~200k.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Jun 21, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

DemeaninDemon posted:

I like that guy bitching about waste water. Modern facilities discharge cleaner water than the stuff they're dumping into. Hell, places use big rear end UV light banks to zap the water sterile.

Y'all would be amazed at the work that gets done making your poo poo, piss, condoms, or anything else you flush go away. Nicest lab I've ever been in was for a poo poo factory servicing a city of ~200k.

Yeah, a ton of work and many, many decades of experience goes into making our wastewater discharge pretty safe. I was on a field trip to a treatment plant and at the end the guy poured a glass of water out of the end (post-UV treatment which kills whats left of the bacteria/viruses) and someone else in the class (on a dare) drank it once he'd moved on. They were perfectly fine and out drinking the next night.

This was a class of third year engineering students, by the way.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Afraid of Audio posted:

or 20 bucks in your case

It's a blemish on my otherwise pristine reputation.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Can you even begin to imagine the shitfit people would throw if they knew their water was filtered with radiation? People already find it suspect and most people think it's cleaned with coffee filters and wizardry.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Can you even begin to imagine the shitfit people would throw if they knew their water was filtered with radiation? People already find it suspect and most people think it's cleaned with coffee filters and wizardry.

If they choose to boycot water for that reason, then they can go for it!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Lobsterpillar posted:

If they choose to boycot water for that reason, then they can go for it!

They would probably end up buying bottled water. For some reason or another, some of it ends up having more crap in it than tap water. See: Fiji water and arsenic. Or a lot of the time it's just bottled tap water.

Aerofallosov has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Jun 21, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Certain foods are also irradiated to preserve it. There are some things people are really better off not knowing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The lack of basic science education / understanding by Americans is just disgusting. Irradiated / radioactive is a huge one. Literally nothing dangerous about the products on that one but people will avoid it for something less safe / environmentally damaging because they don't understand a word.

:suicide:

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Just your standard stupid eCard. Except it was shared by a girl I knew in elementary school who would steal money from kids and cheat at games.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Breaky posted:

The lack of basic science education / understanding by Americans is just disgusting. Irradiated / radioactive is a huge one. Literally nothing dangerous about the products on that one but people will avoid it for something less safe / environmentally damaging because they don't understand a word.

:suicide:

if this forum has taught me anything, its that assholes who think they know how things work but are wrong are a thing all over the world, not just in the US.

For instance, did you know that Canada and Mexico are both part of America? :eng101:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bean_shadow posted:

Just your standard stupid eCard. Except it was shared by a girl I knew in elementary school who would steal money from kids and cheat at games.

Sounds like you just couldn't accept someone having pocket aces. :colbert:

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

Don't cosplayshame me :colbert:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Not quite as bad as some of the stuff posted here with regularity, but... I just found out yesterday that my buddy fell asleep behind the wheel and wrapped his car around a tree. He's alive, but he got fairly hosed up (including re-breaking a wrist).

My mom, who works as a referral agent for a car dealership, found out about it at about the same time I did on FB, and has been on my case to get him to come in.

She found out via a post he made showing that he'd just gotten some surgery to put a clamp in his wrist. :v:

Honestly, I'm split between being impressed and mortified at her brazenness about it.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Aphtonites posted:

Don't cosplayshame me :colbert:

I'm not defending cosplaying (it's ridiculous, but harmless), but you'd be surprised how much hate some cosplayers can get for not looking the part. Especially if it's someone cosplaying the "wrong race."

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

For instance, did you know that Canada and Mexico are both part of America? :eng101:

They aren't, but not for lack of trying on our part.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RFC2324 posted:

if this forum has taught me anything, its that assholes who think they know how things work but are wrong are a thing all over the world, not just in the US.

Canada and Mexico are part of North America, when you say America without the qualifier it means the US.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Aerofallosov posted:

They would probably end up buying bottled water.
Or collecting rainwater. I'm starting to see people advocating leaving a bucket out for a week to collect dew and rain. Chemical free! :downs:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Oddly enough the bulk of the treatment process is 100% all natural.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Taliaquin posted:

Or collecting rainwater. I'm starting to see people advocating leaving a bucket out for a week to collect dew and rain. Chemical free! :downs:

You get the added benefit of protein from the mosquito larvae that'll inevitably be in your bucket of standing water!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

RFC2324 posted:

kazil posted:

Canada and Mexico are part of North America, when you say America without the qualifier it means the US.

There's no point arguing this. America is a continent, and it is entirely correct to refer to, say, Brazilians or Canadians as Americans, but there's also a country that takes up 40% of its mass called (the United States of) America. They're both America, and anytime you make statement either way about people outside the US being Americans someone will smugly inform you that you're wrong.

Incidentally, calling a Canadian American will offend both Canadians and United Statesians.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Jun 21, 2014

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
No one seriously refers to everyone from the two continents of north america and south america as americans.

The only time it's ever mentioned like that is so people can go "People from brazil are american too :smuggo:"

It's not incorrect, but it certainly is not in common usage that way.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ussians is a way better term that should be used. Or just Muricans.

Also when talking about languages, American refers to native American languages, most of which are spoken outside the USA (because genocide).

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Neurion posted:

You get the added benefit of protein from the mosquito larvae that'll inevitably be in your bucket of standing water!

And the concentration of bacteria will boost your immune system naturally. It's win-win.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kajeesus posted:

There's no point arguing this. America is a continent, and it is entirely correct to refer to, say, Brazilians or Canadians as Americans, but there's also a country that takes up 40% of its mass called (the United States of) America. They're both America, and anytime you make statement either way about people outside the US being Americans someone will smugly inform you that you're wrong.

Incidentally, calling a Canadian American will offend both Canadians and United Statesians.

There is no continent called America.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

There are two different continents called North America and South America. You are wrong, and I'd be ashamed of whatever school you went to for teaching you about the great, mythical continent of America containing Brazil and Canada.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/06/18/teen-student-stabbed-outside-school-in-the-bronx/

So some kid is getting bullied and fatally stabs his 14 year old attacker. It's pretty tragic and lovely all around. Top comment is what you'd expect though.

I could see this cropping up more and praising the kid who killed the bully saying that he got what he deserved, etc.

Tracula has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Jun 21, 2014

Fitzdraco
Aug 4, 2007

John Big Booty posted:

If it was homeopathic, no. Unless she was allergic to water.

This isn't always true since homeopathic solvents are intended to be consumed they can be prepared in a way that makes them unsafe for consumption.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm389832.htm

quote:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - March 18, 2014 - Terra-Medica, Inc. is voluntarily recalling 56 lots of Pleo-FORT, Pleo-QUENT, Pleo-NOT, Pleo-STOLO, Pleo-NOTA-QUENT, and Pleo-EX homeopathic drug products in liquid, tablet, capsule, ointment, and suppository forms to the consumer level. FDA has determined that these products have the potential to contain penicillin or derivatives of penicillin, which may be produced during the fermentation process.

In patients who are allergic to beta-lactam antibiotics, even at low levels, exposure to penicillin can result in a range of allergic reactions from mild rashes to severe and life-threatening anaphylactic reactions. To date, Terra-Medica has not received any reports of adverse events related to this recall, nor any reports of product tests indicating penicillin content in the products.

http://www.harpocratesspeaks.com/2010/10/recall-of-hylands-teething-tablets.html

quote:

Apparently, the tablets do not contain consistent amounts of belladonna, leading to potential overdose and poisoning. The product labeling for the tablets indicates that each tablet contains a 3X (or 1:1,000) dilution of belladonna. As far as homeopathic products go, that's not very dilute and is very likely to contain biologically active amounts of belladonna, much like recalled Zicam nasal products contained active amounts of zinc (2X dilutions). Further exacerbating the issue is the fact that the bottles do not use child-resistant caps.

Fitzdraco has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Jun 21, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Apogee15 posted:

The only time it's ever mentioned like that is so people can go "People from brazil are american too :smuggo:"

It's not incorrect, but it certainly is not in common usage that way.

It isn't common usage in America, for sure. Just like a Frenchman would never refer to a German as a European.

Apogee15 posted:

No one seriously refers to everyone from the two continents of north america and south america as americans.

kazil posted:

There is no continent called America.

nucleicmaxid posted:

There are two different continents called North America and South America. You are wrong, and I'd be ashamed of whatever school you went to for teaching you about the great, mythical continent of America containing Brazil and Canada.

A continent is a continuous body of land, separated from others by bodies of water. Further conventions also put this separation between larger bodies connected by a narrow stretch of land, as well as the geopolitical border between Europe and Asia. The latter is by far the most common usage in the United States, but fortunately, the English language is not defined by US conventions alone.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

A continent is a continuous body of land, separated from others by bodies of water. Further conventions also put this separation between larger bodies connected by a narrow stretch of land, as well as the geopolitical border between Europe and Asia. The latter is by far the most common usage in the United States, but fortunately, the English language is not defined by US conventions alone.

http://www.softschools.com/social_studies/continents/map.jsp

:eng101: That's a site for children. Hopefully you'll be able to understand it. If not, please feel free to PM me or offer another way so that I can help you understand this very simple thing taught to third graders the world over.

Like, this isn't a US opinion thing. There are 7 continents, the whole world considers things the same way. It's the way things are defined.

This site, also for children, can help you too.

http://www.whatarethe7continents.com/

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Taliaquin posted:

Rain collection is actually a good thing, environment-wise, if you do it right and use the water for watering the lawn and garden, washing the dog, etc. Saves the potable tap water for drinking. Residential rainwater collection can significantly ease municipal water use during droughts, which is a good thing. My local state agricultural college has a program that gives away rainbarrels to homeowners, along with instructions on how to properly set up and use one. Just one rainbarrel can keep a lawn watered over a long dry summer. I have two going myself, but I use a lot of water for the garden. It saves a bundle of cash on the water bill.

Neurion posted:

This is definitely a big concern with a rainbarrel, if you don't set it up and maintain it correctly it becomes just a very unhealthy source of standing water, it's better to dump it out if you can't keep it up. But it's really pretty easy to maintain a rainbarrel, keep the skeeters out, or keep them from laying with mosquito dunks. I use a solar water wiggler myself. Mosquito eggs can't survive in water with even a slight motion, so just the wiggler is enough to keep a barrel free of mosquito larvae.

bonestructure has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Jun 21, 2014

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How about sentences such as "potatoes are from America originally" or" America is several hours ahead of the rest of the world"? In those, referring to the two American continents as "America" makes sense. Just like a Frenchman might refer to a German as a European when he was contrasting him with an African and a Chinese. It's a matter of relevant perspective and meaningful subdivisions.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

BonHair posted:

How about sentences such as "potatoes are from America originally" or" America is several hours ahead of the rest of the world"? In those, referring to the two American continents as "America" makes sense. Just like a Frenchman might refer to a German as a European when he was contrasting him with an African and a Chinese. It's a matter of relevant perspective and meaningful subdivisions.

In this case, it's "The Americas" not "America"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So this has started making the rounds on facebook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uag2G0J6iqw

Looks funny, seems to be in the vein of "Hollywood Shuffle", and I'm probably gonna go see it. But of course the minorities are getting uppity so certain people have to chime in:

Recreated in on of those facebook post generators.

It's not an unexpected response. But seriously how can people not realize that there is legitimate grievances that minorities have when it comes to their portrayal in films and it's not "reverse racism" that someone is making a film talking about it.

He did clarify later on what "Dear Black People" might be about :

quote:

"Dear Black People" would be about how every movie about race issues is about white people and black people. And how every problem is inherently because something a white person did.

Maybe the movie should be about them walking up to their family members and asking why they arrived in a mass exodus to the last Tyler Perry movie.

Or maybe call other black people out on homophobia, making a huge scene when anyone prevents their kids from raising hell in public, and glorifying a culture that revolves around being confident but never about being reflective.

Yeah, no where to go from there. :stare:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

In this case, it's "The Americas" not "America"

That is a possible phrasing, but not the only possible phrasing. It's almost like there is more than one way of saying things! I know I wouldn't use "the Americas", but it might be because I'm cisatlanitc (Danish) scum.

(yes, I am the idiots inside the thread)

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

bonestructure posted:

Rain collection is actually a good thing, environment-wise, if you do it right and use the water for watering the lawn and garden, washing the dog, etc. Saves the potable tap water for drinking. Residential rainwater collection can significantly ease municipal water use during droughts, which is a good thing. My local state agricultural college has a program for giving away rainbarrels to homeowners along with instructions on how to properly set up and use one. Just one rainbarrel can keep a lawn watered over a long dry summer. I have two going myself, but I use a lot of water for the garden.

This is definitely a big concern with a rainbarrel, if you don't set it up and maintain it correctly it becomes just a very unhealthy source of standing water, it's better to dump it out if you can't keep it up. But it's really pretty easy to maintain a rainbarrel, keep the skeeters out, or keep them from laying with mosquito dunks. I use a solar water wiggler myself. Mosquito eggs can't survive in water with even a slight motion, so just the wiggler is enough to keep a barrel free of mosquito larvae.
Point taken. The people I've seen posting the rainwater stuff don't generally put that much thought into how things work, so they seem to think that just setting out an uncovered bucket (in summer heat :barf:) is enough by itself. If it's any indicator, they also regularly post stuff about how marijuana kills every disease on earth and they let their multiple cats just poo poo in the floor and only clean it up when they feel like it. Good-hearted people, but not the kind I'd trust to maintain a viable water collection.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

BonHair posted:

That is a possible phrasing, but not the only possible phrasing. It's almost like there is more than one way of saying things! I know I wouldn't use "the Americas", but it might be because I'm cisatlanitc (Danish) scum.

(yes, I am the idiots inside the thread)

Fair enough, as an American, I really don't know what term they use in Europe for the collective continents in the Western Hemisphere. I know I would use "The Americas" though in a situation like the one you suggested before.

Also, I have no content, but I am in fact an idiot

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

nucleicmaxid posted:

http://www.softschools.com/social_studies/continents/map.jsp

:eng101: That's a site for children. Hopefully you'll be able to understand it. If not, please feel free to PM me or offer another way so that I can help you understand this very simple thing taught to third graders the world over.

Like, this isn't a US opinion thing. There are 7 continents, the whole world considers things the same way. It's the way things are defined.

This site, also for children, can help you too.

http://www.whatarethe7continents.com/

Thanks, that was very helpful. Here's a site I think you should read. In the spirit of fair game, it is also for children. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Taliaquin posted:

Point taken. The people I've seen posting the rainwater stuff don't generally put that much thought into how things work, so they seem to think that just setting out an uncovered bucket (in summer heat :barf:) is enough by itself. If it's any indicator, they also regularly post stuff about how marijuana kills every disease on earth and they let their multiple cats just poo poo in the floor and only clean it up when they feel like it. Good-hearted people, but not the kind I'd trust to maintain a viable water collection.

Oh, you meant hippies. Agreed, then. :)

• Locked thread