Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Lone Badger posted:

So Aiden is really, really stupid right?

Not really. I think he is actually pretty smart as far as video game protagonists go, but he is also a career criminal who basically justifies everything he does with either vengeance or the need to protect his family to a ludicrous degree. This ends up making a lot of people consider him to a very unlikeable and hypocritical character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Randler posted:

This ends up making a lot of people consider him to a very unlikeable and hypocritical character.

Not to mention boring and hilariously trope-ridden. I don't know why the writers thought that making him intentionally myopic would somehow excuse the fact that he's straight out of a high-school student's creative writing assignment.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Caik posted:

It unlocks later in the story.

I'm guessing this also counts towards QR codes, burner phones and the murder investigation? I've got 40~% completion and I've just started Act 2 because I'm really putting off fixer missions.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
Finally tried team decryption last night and it was a lot of fun. They did a great job building in little multiplayer levels into the city, really like how theyre designed. The pawnee one kind of sucked, but only cause its not that easy to find a car and its way hard to catch a dude whos going fast w/ all the twisty roads and blocked paths and stuff. I had to stop playing tho cause it seemed like as time went on, my connection got worse and worse, which led to the game running at like 20fps and everyone skipping around like crazy. Tho in general the framerate seemed lower in matches with full teams (playing on ps4).

Also finished the gang hideouts, which I think were my favorite part of the game. The areas are generally designed really well,a nd its fun to mess with the AI. There's one really excellent one at the bridge thats under construction in Pawnee; feels like something out of MGS. In general,I like how the AI actually has to spot you to know where you are. Some action games it seems like they know what youre ducking behind no matter what, but in this, you can take a bunch of dudes down with a shotgun and then sneak around to flank their buddies that are searching over where you used to be.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The consensus is that stealth in the game is actually kinda broken- I find it fun, but that's because I was rocking the preorder deluxe silent guns, which let me break combat over my knee whenever things don't start loud (which means all the non-story missions). Without a silenced weapon, it's quite difficult to completely clear an area. With a silenced weapon, the enemy AI doesn't know what to do- each guard sees a comrade's body and just wanders into the exact same place where the first one was killed. Once the Enforcer melee is unlocked, ninjaing huge quantities of enemies becomes trivial. This is especially the case for gang hideouts, where you can work the outer edge of the area, repeatedly picking off everyone at the back half of the giant mob of searching enemies.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Discendo Vox posted:

Without a silenced weapon, it's quite difficult to completely clear an area.

Difficult? With a cover and slow time systems? And regenerating health? Nope, not really at all. You can massacre any mission as long as it's allowed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Spiky Ooze posted:

Difficult? With a cover and slow time systems? And regenerating health? Nope, not really at all. You can massacre any mission as long as it's allowed.

Aiden's made of paper. An enemy in close proximity at any time who is aware of your presence usually equals death, regardless of your other stats. The focus system isn't particularly effective until it's maxed- it only provides a tiny amount of time to work with.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

The consensus is that stealth in the game is actually kinda broken- I find it fun, but that's because I was rocking the preorder deluxe silent guns, which let me break combat over my knee whenever things don't start loud (which means all the non-story missions). Without a silenced weapon, it's quite difficult to completely clear an area. With a silenced weapon, the enemy AI doesn't know what to do- each guard sees a comrade's body and just wanders into the exact same place where the first one was killed. Once the Enforcer melee is unlocked, ninjaing huge quantities of enemies becomes trivial. This is especially the case for gang hideouts, where you can work the outer edge of the area, repeatedly picking off everyone at the back half of the giant mob of searching enemies.

I don't think its particulary that hard to clear an area without going completely silenced (playing on realistic here too!). Going full stealth/silencing is honestly harder for me cause it requires a lot more patience than I have. I just used stealth and the silenced goblin to take out some of the fringe enemies and disable reinforcement calls, then get in a decent position to take the target and go in loud. If you dont stay in place after youre spotted, and have actually scouted around a bit to know some good paths to flank the bad guys, you can take out a full base of dudes really quickly. It's higher risk of course, but theres no penalty for dying, and I'd personally rather have to retry a quick firefight than spend 30 minutes ducking behind a crate and lining up headshots.

I think it would be a bad system if it was supposed to be an open world Metal Gear Solid hardcore stealth game, but its more like a lite-stealth cover shooter.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I personally like using bait and switch tactics. Find area A and Area B that overlooks Area A. make some huge noise in Area A, like firing a sniper rifle, then get your rear end to Area B. When everyone wanders over wondering what the gently caress was that noise, toss a proxy mine into the group, or hit them with the silenced pistol or something. Not too difficult.

Bonus points if Area A is under a cargo container that you can drop on them Wile E. Coyote style.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Aiden's made of paper. An enemy in close proximity at any time who is aware of your presence usually equals death, regardless of your other stats. The focus system isn't particularly effective until it's maxed- it only provides a tiny amount of time to work with.

Yeah, I did my second run through on realistic and I actually have to put some thought into fights now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, silenced weapons did snap things in half. But even more impressive than the silenced pistol is another Silenced weapon you can easily unlock. But the reason the Spec Ops Vector was so crazy was not because it was silenced, though it did bring shove it from amazing to broken territory that it was. The reason it was so broken is because it one of the STRONGEST WEAPONS IN THE GAME, that isn't a one shot one kill wonder like the Destroyer or Grenade launcher.

Spec Ops goblin, 4 stars, burst fire. I needed to find 9 weapon crates to unlock it, anything with body armor would still be standing dialing in their reinforcements after 15 or 18 rounds if it wasn't a headshot. It was kind of a letdown, but hey, silenced assault rifle that effort was worth it right? Save it for headshooting snipers without people noticing.

The Silenced SMG meanwhile, needed only 5 Online tailing missions. 5 Star, full auto, I'd kill anything that wasn't an enforcer in a single spray basically. I guess it helped you could unload as much of your 20 bullet capacity at once into people. but you rarely needed more than 10, and it was just as if not more accurate than the Spec Ops Goblin. Also, you know how it tends to sort the weapons you own left to right from weakest to strongest? The silenced SMG is listed after the light machinegun, in the assault rifles tab. It earns that spot.

Even when I had the Biometric Rifle, or the straight up Machinegun, I'd go back to the SO Vector in an open firefight a lot due to it's rate of fire on top of damage rating. Especially seeing how while the destroyer could kill people through multiple shipping containers, NOTHING could fire through the thin metal plates attached to catwalk railings it seems, so that loading screen tip of "You can use heavier guns like assault rifles to shoot people through thin cover!" was pretty useless when it was walls, cement, and giant metal containers I was killing people through while thin cover was seemingly impenetrable... Though if it wasn't, then the enemy would have just killed you through all your cover, basically.

Well then, that's pretty amazing. What does 5 Online hacks, something much hader get me?... The worst assault rifle in the game? Okay, how about 10 Online Hacks?... a Two star burst fire SMG... right. Hey, what about getting that Gold Star on the coin race? Maybe that will get me somethi- The literal worst pistol in the game why is this even an unlockable. Meanwhile, a single Gang Hideout gets you an AK47.

As for difficulty without silenced weapons, I spent most of my time pretending to be BATMAN sneaking around and hitting people with sticks. The silenced gun got brought out admittedly when I wanted to be lazy and kill a rooftop sniper without alerting others. But when I hosed up on the last guys or something and then got killed by a grenade because mashing circle went through "Not letting me off crate... Okay, it let em off wait, he turned around and went back against the crate. Okay NOW I'm off it... and slowly climbing on top of it oh now I'm dead"? I just went full rambo because as long as you have any form of assault rifle and nothing ever flanks you, you can just murder everything. It goes without saying that the full retard rambo method got me through any segment where being spotted was not an instant failure in the fraction of the time.

Combat was a strange On/Off of "I'm Rambo" or "I'm a redshirt" depending on if I had cover or not, or if the cover system didn't gently caress with me when somebody threw a grenade. Or pressing X after carefully centering where I wanted to go on the wider section of the next cover, sent me to the narrow outside in line of fire. Or instead of sprinting to the next bit of cover, he would decide to slooowly walk to it and you were locked into the animation swearing at the idiot getting shot up/spotted.

Basically gently caress this games cover system and anyone saying "Just press circle to leave the wall duh that solves all your baby problems :rolleyes:" About 80% of my on foot combat deaths involved the cover system not cooperating with me. Honorable my own drat fault mention goes to "I was trying to hack somebody while running, but I set off the explosives next to me instead by the time I realized the hack cursor moved oops."

A leading cause of my brother's deaths was the fact you're perfectly vulnerable while doing the melee takedown animation. So he'd start the drawn out beatdown of a convoy takedown target or gang hideout target while all of one or two enemies were still alive and welp that was that. Up to and including grenades thrown and detonated during the animation one time.

EDIT: vvv Yeah, the game at least is OVERALL fun, as much as I like to wonder at some of the wonky bits of mechanics of "Aiden what is wrong with you". I so wished I could upgrade my crafting parts capacity. Daddy needs more system keys! Credit where due that the game made more people have system keys on them when you were low, unless I'm just frequently lucky. I'm only about 1k or so Infamy, I just keep it at that level to make sure I don't lose the first bonus and tail every so often for fun.

Also, I am a huge idiot who still has not figured out how to abandon a tail/hack without straight up turning off the game :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 20, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Everyone who thinks the cover system is a good system is suffering from some kind of wierd opposite Dunning Kruger syndrome where your marginal competency at the game makes a bad mechanic easy to get around because this game is easy and so it feels like it's a good mechanic when it's not.

I honestly love this game and am addicted to the online but it's badly balanced and poorly thought out and fun because stalking people in a video game is fun, not because they did a good job executing anything. But there are alot of good ideas that let me still giggle endlessly laying elaborate mine traps around a single dead body and then pop up with a silenced pistol to shoot a dude and get seen and attract his buddy right into a proxy 5 feet in front of him. If "going in loud" involves much gunplay you aren't spending nearly enough time making runs to pawn shops to buy explosive ingredients.

P.S. Everyone knows how to spot invaders now so park a block over and chain some cameras to scan them and find a vehicle that you can keep them in sight if they sprint for the other side of the city on a motorcycle. You have five minutes to make contact. Use those five minutes.

P.P.S. Once you get to a certain point with rep it really doesn't matter anymore and online is even more fun. When you don't care if you lose a tail you can spend a bit searching for a fire truck and try to ram them off a freeway. I got profiled like this the other day and actually managed to escape a dude in a ferrari while driving a fire truck without him getting out of the car to shoot me and getting left behind.

When was the last time you played a game where you could say you escaped a dude driving a sports car in a fire truck?

P.P.P.S Whoever said you should leave proxies around blind corners for invaders to stumble into is a genius :allears:

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 20, 2014

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Backhand posted:

I feel like you guys are expecting entirely more than you should. I didn't really follow the advertising for this game or anything, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't marketed as being this deep and complex story that would drop your jaw with its elegant brilliance.

It's a game. It's not a spectacular game, but it's decently fun, and certainly not notably worse than anything else out there. You drive around, you shoot people, you hack computers. What were you expecting?
It didn't need to have a "deep and complex story that would drop your jaw with its elegant brilliance", all needed to be was coherent.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 20, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So since no one has posted a working copy of the gamerprofile.xml contents, how do I go about restoring mine? I really hope I don't have to delete my save or uninstall, as that's a lot of work down the drain.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

So since no one has posted a working copy of the gamerprofile.xml contents, how do I go about restoring mine? I really hope I don't have to delete my save or uninstall, as that's a lot of work down the drain.

Delete the old one and start the game, it'll make a new one.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Daztek posted:

Delete the old one and start the game, it'll make a new one.

Ah, thanks. Wish I had known that 2 days ago.

EDIT: Nope, it's something with the mod. I've triple checked that it's installed correctly, followed the instructions exactly, but loading up the game with the mod installed causes it to lock up as soon as I hit continue. Welp.

EDIT2: Looks like it was something with turning off depth of field. I don't know how that was breaking the mod, but there you go.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 20, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

neogeo0823 posted:

Ah, thanks. Wish I had known that 2 days ago.

EDIT: Nope, it's something with the mod. I've triple checked that it's installed correctly, followed the instructions exactly, but loading up the game with the mod installed causes it to lock up as soon as I hit continue. Welp.

Mine just blurs everything past about 20 yards to the point that you'd swear it was a city full of Bigfoots. Bigfeet? Whatever.

Decryption is impossible so I'm reinstalling.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, so is there something I'm missing? I'm trying to turn off motion blue and depth of field. I can't seem to edit the patch.dat file without making my save game crash on load. I'd try to live with them, but I'm getting a noticeably worse frame rate with the mod and I'm wondering if those to things might have something to do with it. Well, that and they make it harder to aim at things and track movement.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pretty sure the mod is not compatible with the latest Watch_Dogs patch. Yesterday's official patch uses the same patch.dat/fat files that the mod used.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What's a third-person open world game with a good cover system?
Not really defending Watch Dog's here, it's pretty dang basic but what are we comparing it too?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

TheSpiritFox posted:

P.P.P.S Whoever said you should leave proxies around blind corners for invaders to stumble into is a genius :allears:

Can you explain this one to me?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dev null posted:

Can you explain this one to me?

When someone is tailing you, take them around a corner and quickly drop a few proximity IEDs, they come around the corner and BOOM, you win.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Croccers posted:

What's a third-person open world game with a good cover system?
Not really defending Watch Dog's here, it's pretty dang basic but what are we comparing it too?

Well turning corners can be effed up, as is releasing cover, but you get used to it and work around it.

That's the thing the game is a big mess in every aspect but once you get your groove on you even start to learn all the workarounds to crappy mechanics too, and despite itself it's a pretty fair amount of fun and value for one game. For those that can get past the first couple of hours anyway.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, guide the fat gently caress around Cabrini-Green is really unfun. It's like they thought taking some poo poo as unfun as escort missions and making you do them via proxy would be an excellent gaming mechanic :haw:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Wow, guide the fat gently caress around Cabrini-Green is really unfun. It's like they thought taking some poo poo as unfun as escort missions and making you do them via proxy would be an excellent gaming mechanic :haw:

Pfff, that one's easy. Wait until you have to lead the person through the warehouse.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Soonmot posted:

Pfff, that one's easy. Wait until you have to lead the person through the warehouse.

I found that one really easy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

For all of them after the first one, I just killed everyone. The game automatically sends your Escort Buddy (TM) to the goal. It's not that the escort is hard, it's just that I really dislike dismantling enemy formations.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the game.

Holy poo poo does it turn into garbage in the last two acts. Unfun missions and terrible (more so than usual) story scenes. :thumbsup:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I actually found it kind of amusing. The way it gets progressively more ridiculous and incoherent while pretending to take itself seriously is kind of charming. Well, also schizophrenic, because the new characters get more and more ridiculous (from Jordi to T-Bone to not-Deadmau5) while Aiden tries his hardest to pretend that he's still in a totally legitimate gritty noir crime drama with a deep, though-provoking message about surveillance and a corporate police state.

Also the fact that you can outright murder not-Deadmau5 without anyone saying a word about it is funny. Someone at Ubi must either hate him or adore him in a creepy way.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 21, 2014

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
gently caress, i'm getting hung up on the Bedbug tail mission; the fact that it just boots you back to the start of the tail despite checkpointing literally everything else to stupid levels is just dumb.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I, Butthole posted:

gently caress, i'm getting hung up on the Bedbug tail mission; the fact that it just boots you back to the start of the tail despite checkpointing literally everything else to stupid levels is just dumb.

You don't actually have to tail him physically, you can do almost all of it by chaining cameras.

Discendo Vox posted:

For all of them after the first one, I just killed everyone. The game automatically sends your Escort Buddy (TM) to the goal. It's not that the escort is hard, it's just that I really dislike dismantling enemy formations.

The escort is usually boring and the controls are irritating because they only let you direct people to the front of whatever you're pointing it, not the rear.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am having a decent enough time with the story missions in Watch Dogs, but man there is just some really, REALLY bad narrative here. Avoiding the obvious "story is lame" plot points,

The second time you talk to Nicky on the phone when she is kidnapped, she's practically joking around with you.

There are a billion public newscasts where they refer to the vigilante as "the vigilante Aiden Pearce" and yet Nicky is surprised near the end of the game when she "realizes" he is the vigilante.

Yolanda the social worker/therapist whatever... she deals with Aiden too, all the while she should also be aware that the news is calling him a terrorist.

Lots of other little things too.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I've searched a few different sites and the Guru3D link to the thread with the graphical enhancement mod seems to be dead on all of them. Anyone have a mirror?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

fuckpot posted:

I've searched a few different sites and the Guru3D link to the thread with the graphical enhancement mod seems to be dead on all of them. Anyone have a mirror?

Is this the link you've been looking for?

It doesn't work on the latest version of Watch_Dogs, though.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

Wait, how do you do that?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

Wait, how do you do that?

Stop hacking, then run in with your favorite gun and start shooting.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Do you remember when you sit down with T-Dog and he says to pay the bar man $100 and Aiden says his not a cash man? I had hundreds of thousands in cash on me! All I do is pull cash out of ATMs. Aiden is so tricky.

Which does bring up an interesting point, why does he pull cash out at all? I pulled 100k of an ATM one time. Why isn't all this theft handled electronically?

It would have been funny if he use buttcoin or something.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

dev null posted:

Do you remember when you sit down with T-Dog and he says to pay the bar man $100 and Aiden says his not a cash man? I had hundreds of thousands in cash on me! All I do is pull cash out of ATMs. Aiden is so tricky.

Which does bring up an interesting point, why does he pull cash out at all? I pulled 100k of an ATM one time. Why isn't all this theft handled electronically?

It would have been funny if he use buttcoin or something.

Cash from an ATM isn' traceable?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Also why does my screen glitch out when getting hacked? I don't have retinal implants or Google glass, do I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

eXXon posted:

Also why does my screen glitch out when getting hacked? I don't have retinal implants or Google glass, do I?

That is how hacking works, stop questioning it.

Or it might actually show that Aiden only lives in his own little world, maybe trapped in an asylum and he only imagines all this bullshit.

Would certainly explain a few things.

• Locked thread