Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Derp. Got it, thanks. Wasn't exactly the most intuitive way to do it, but ok!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Well, that's the Shu Hypothetical campaign done. I united the land in virtue and benevolence! :v:

Do all the hypotheticals just get straight-up goofy in how perfectly everything works out for them?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Yalborap posted:

Well, that's the Shu Hypothetical campaign done. I united the land in virtue and benevolence! :v:

Do all the hypotheticals just get straight-up goofy in how perfectly everything works out for them?

Yes, and I absolutely loving love them for it. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Wei campaign is the closest thing to realism because Wei was always the strongest of the 3, but how they handle the endgame is ridiculous.

The Wu campaign is straight up surreal.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I can't regard Wu's as surreal. If anything he's more 'virtuous' than Liu Bei, because he outright reforms the system. When I think of his issues with holding power, his selection quote, the fact that he alone realises he didn't get where he is alone...

I guess I'm a fan of how it ended up.

I do wonder how the hell Jin's Hypothetical is going to go, because that's the side that won it all, so how can it go BETTER than it did?

Lu Bu's is...the obvious thing is 'be less of an rear end in a top hat' but it's like...I can hear him narrating from the afterlife or something "Well, I suppose it all started going wrong when Hua Xiong died. Guy was one of the few people who could give me a challenge, you know? After he went, my pride got worse and worse..."

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 21, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's more the part about Sun Jian and Sun Ce "retiring" instead of dying.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Is there no surround sound in DW8XL on the pc or are my speakers just being contrary?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bloodly posted:

I can't regard Wu's as surreal. If anything he's more 'virtuous' than Liu Bei, because he outright reforms the system. When I think of his issues with holding power, his selection quote, the fact that he alone realises he didn't get where he is alone...

I guess I'm a fan of how it ended up.

I do wonder how the hell Jin's Hypothetical is going to go, because that's the side that won it all, so how can it go BETTER than it did?

Lu Bu's is...the obvious thing is 'be less of an rear end in a top hat' but it's like...I can hear him narrating from the afterlife or something "Well, I suppose it all started going wrong when Hua Xiong died. Guy was one of the few people who could give me a challenge, you know? After he went, my pride got worse and worse..."

I liked Cao Cao's bit in Wu's hypothetical, where he pretty much says outright "I know myself way too well to think I won't gently caress poo poo up for you if I stay. Peace." And walks away to his death.

Lu Bu's plays out like an after school special where Lu Bu learns about ~*~The Power of Teamwork~*~ and I love it for that. :allears:

Jin just follows the same route Wei's does where they win harder, because nobody dies.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Lu Bu's plays out like an after school special where Lu Bu learns about ~*~The Power of Teamwork~*~ and I love it for that. :allears:

Naturally, this doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't also kill absolutely everybody who isn't part of his bestest buddy crew. Except, ironically enough, the Emperor.

Oh, Lu Bu.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

Jin just follows the same route Wei's does where they win harder, because nobody dies.

It also has the Sima dudes teaming up to call Jiang Wei an imbecile and I love them for that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Does anyone have a PC save they could share that has the story complete-ish? I wish you could bring saves over from the ps3.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The funny thing about Lu Bu is that if you actually read the novel his skill in battle is very quickly de-emphasized in favour of stressing that the dude had about as much political acumen as a tube of toothpaste.

Of course in Dynasty Warriors you can murder entire armies stupid enough to disagree with you so it matters less.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Pureauthor posted:

The funny thing about Lu Bu is that if you actually read the novel his skill in battle is very quickly de-emphasized in favour of stressing that the dude had about as much political acumen as a tube of toothpaste.

He's not entirely discredited; the way he forces the treaty between Yuan Shu and Liu Bei is actually pretty clever. But yeah, it's really played up that his strength is no match for his enemies' strategy.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Picked this up during the steam sale and after remapping the keyboard controls it's actually surprisingly playable.
Started out with the Wu story, picked the only guy with facial hair and I have only one question. - Are all these people on my side meant to die? They all seem to kind of gently caress off to do their own thing only to run into issues when i'm halfway across the map. Am I supposed to be playing better or is people on your side dying just how this game does?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hambilderberglar posted:

Picked this up during the steam sale and after remapping the keyboard controls it's actually surprisingly playable.
Started out with the Wu story, picked the only guy with facial hair and I have only one question. - Are all these people on my side meant to die? They all seem to kind of gently caress off to do their own thing only to run into issues when i'm halfway across the map. Am I supposed to be playing better or is people on your side dying just how this game does?
They aren't really dying (unless the plot demands it), just running away. And there are only specific people that if you run away it causes you to fail.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hambilderberglar posted:

The only person whose dying matters is your sides commander, unless the game specifically tells you to protect someone. Everyone else can just do whatever.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
I just picked up DW8 on Steam, thanks to the Summer Sale.

Is Lu Bu defeatable in the beginning? I've been trying to pummel him into submission, but he always seems to kill me in one hit, just when I'm close to beating him.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

He is technically defeatable when you first run into him, but realistically you'll want to replay the mission later on when you've leveled up and gotten better weapons. The mission is designed for you to avoid him so don't sweat it (unless he gets close)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Yes, but you really aren't meant to. He's amped way up(As noted by the GLOW OF DOOM) from his regular stats, which are already the most powerful moveset and weapon in the game. More than that, he doesn't flinch from your attacks even when using a weapon stronger than his under the rock-paper-scissors thing they have going.

The meme is 'Don't pursue Lu Bu' for a REASON. He is always horrific under enemy AI.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's entirely possible to savescum and beat him that way if you want.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

They aren't really dying (unless the plot demands it), just running away. And there are only specific people that if you run away it causes you to fail.
Oh, okay. That clears that up then.
I understand that there's a "historical" version of the story and a hypothetical, is accessing those at all dependent on having someone die or not die or does it come as a straightforward menu pick or dialogue option once it diverges?
And since the storyline to this appears to be very healthily developed, is there somewhere I can read more about the various different playable characters and their motivation and place in the story? I'm just picking based on whose logo looks coolest and whichever character is the least ~kawaii~ of the bunch but knowing who's who and why they're there would be nice.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Hambilderberglar posted:

I understand that there's a "historical" version of the story and a hypothetical, is accessing those at all dependent on having someone die or not die or does it come as a straightforward menu pick or dialogue option once it diverges?
And since the storyline to this appears to be very healthily developed, is there somewhere I can read more about the various different playable characters and their motivation and place in the story? I'm just picking based on whose logo looks coolest and whichever character is the least ~kawaii~ of the bunch but knowing who's who and why they're there would be nice.

http://www.threekingdoms.com/

Start here!

Alternatively you can try to Koei Wiki to search for specific characters.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Hambilderberglar posted:

To open the hypothetical branch you have to complete hidden objectives on certain stages. Don't worry about it too much the first time around - once you complete a story mode the game will tell you on the Select a Stage screen what the secret missions are.

For a basic rundown on the story, check the Encyclopedia section in the menu. It's rather barebones but should be enough to run you to speed.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone have this for PC?I hear the port is godawful with broken resolutions, broken controller support and no online multiplayer at all. The last one is understandable but how about the first two?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Pierson posted:

Does anyone have this for PC?I hear the port is godawful with broken resolutions, broken controller support and no online multiplayer at all. The last one is understandable but how about the first two?
The process of going through the resolutions is a little tedious but the game plays fine at 1920x1200 with details cranked up. I play with a keyboard because I can't be hosed to deal with hooking up chinese ps3 controller drivers but once you remap it away from the kind of clunky defaults it's perfectly playable for my sensibilities on normal difficulty.

Brony Hunter posted:

To open the hypothetical branch you have to complete hidden objectives on certain stages. Don't worry about it too much the first time around - once you complete a story mode the game will tell you on the Select a Stage screen what the secret missions are.

For a basic rundown on the story, check the Encyclopedia section in the menu. It's rather barebones but should be enough to run you to speed.

Pureauthor posted:

http://www.threekingdoms.com/

Start here!

Alternatively you can try to Koei Wiki to search for specific characters.
Thanks! I'll probably still pick the same guy because I like his moustache but I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.
Should I bother playing Lu Bu as my first run through or will it just ruin me/the story because he's an OP rear end in a top hat? Are there any specific characters whose storylines or motivations stand out?

VVV Oh look at that.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 21, 2014

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

An important thing to note for first players is that the Jin story is essentially the sequel to Wei's story. Wu, Shu and Wei can be completed in any order, really, but save Jin until at least after you finish those three. Jin starts almost immediately as Shu's story ends and won't make much sense without context.
Lu Bu should be saved for last, not due to chronological reasons but for balance reasons. Lu Bu's stages have a much higher base difficulty than the other four stories (although this won't matter too much as your levels are scaled accordingly). As a result of the difficulty increase, the game hands out high level weapons like candy on his mode that'd allow you to breeze through the stories too easily unless you leave Lu Bu for last.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I've had absolutely no problems at 1920x1080 and an xbox controller, that's a pretty vanilla-rear end setup though

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Pierson posted:

Playing it just fine at 1920x1080 and with a DS4. You've heard wrong.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Hambilderberglar posted:

You have to fulfil certain objectives to unlock each nation's hypothetical route. If you choose, I think, "play stage" instead of "play all" after choosing a nation you can see the objectives for each stage. If there's a blank star on the stage you haven't fulfilled the objective and if the star is filled in you have. Don't worry about getting the objectives the first time through a stage, you'll play them each plenty of times. Once you fill in all the stars somebody new to talk to will show up at the stage where the path splits.

There's also an in-game encyclopedia for more info on characters, but I don't remember how extensive it is. If you end up liking the DW games and play a few of them you get a good idea of who's who and what they want. 8's Story Mode is probably one of the worst for understanding "the big picture." Basically, everyone is trying to "end the chaos" either by trying to unite the land or hitch their wagon to someone who is. Also, benevolence.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Brony Hunter posted:

An important thing to note for first players is that the Jin story is essentially the sequel to Wei's story. Wu, Shu and Wei can be completed in any order, really, but save Jin until at least after you finish those three. Jin starts almost immediately as Shu's story ends and won't make much sense without context.
Lu Bu should be saved for last, not due to chronological reasons but for balance reasons. Lu Bu's stages have a much higher base difficulty than the other four stories (although this won't matter too much as your levels are scaled accordingly). As a result of the difficulty increase, the game hands out high level weapons like candy on his mode that'd allow you to breeze through the stories too easily unless you leave Lu Bu for last.
Are weapons carried over between storylines and characters? I seem to have gotten a few already but there's an absolutely bewildering amount and variety in the game that I'm not really sure if or what I should be equipping on any of my characters. Han Dang who I started with likes short spears and can carry an alternate as a sword, though I'm not really sure when to use which, as I understand he's the EX wielder for the short spear so I assume that means using it as often as possible will mean I unlock whatever special variety of stabbing he can do with that?

Static Rook posted:

You have to fulfil certain objectives to unlock each nation's hypothetical route. If you choose, I think, "play stage" instead of "play all" after choosing a nation you can see the objectives for each stage. If there's a blank star on the stage you haven't fulfilled the objective and if the star is filled in you have. Don't worry about getting the objectives the first time through a stage, you'll play them each plenty of times. Once you fill in all the stars somebody new to talk to will show up at the stage where the path splits.

There's also an in-game encyclopedia for more info on characters, but I don't remember how extensive it is. If you end up liking the DW games and play a few of them you get a good idea of who's who and what they want. 8's Story Mode is probably one of the worst for understanding "the big picture." Basically, everyone is trying to "end the chaos" either by trying to unite the land or hitch their wagon to someone who is. Also, benevolence.
I got a little bit of dialogue concerning the Imperial Seal and someone suggesting that they take it and end the chaos through force of will before casting a pall of doubt on that since they're obviously loyal retainers of the Whomever clan. Do I as the PC get any chance to influence decisions like that? I think the objectives are supposed to change on a smaller scale depending on who you pick in a given battle but I am not really sure.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Hambilderberglar posted:

Are weapons carried over between storylines and characters? I seem to have gotten a few already but there's an absolutely bewildering amount and variety in the game that I'm not really sure if or what I should be equipping on any of my characters. Han Dang who I started with likes short spears and can carry an alternate as a sword, though I'm not really sure when to use which, as I understand he's the EX wielder for the short spear so I assume that means using it as often as possible will mean I unlock whatever special variety of stabbing he can do with that?

I got a little bit of dialogue concerning the Imperial Seal and someone suggesting that they take it and end the chaos through force of will before casting a pall of doubt on that since they're obviously loyal retainers of the Whomever clan. Do I as the PC get any chance to influence decisions like that? I think the objectives are supposed to change on a smaller scale depending on who you pick in a given battle but I am not really sure.

Okay, basically, your EX weapon allows you to perform two additional attacks that no other character can use even with that weapon. Check Move List under Officer Info to see how to use them. You don't have to carry an EX Weapon, but it's recommended. For your second weapon, some people use another EX Weapon with a different affinity, or a different weapon entirely. For a newbie, I suggest you carry around one EX Weapon and change your secondary for each battle to help you get a feel for the many, many movesets.

All weapons are carried over to each storyline and mode, and every character can equip them. It's the same with Skills, they're a universal pool once unlocked. Skills can be equipped and changed in mid battle, even just after unlocking them, unlike weapons.

Objectives, missions and dialogue do change in each stage depending on who you play as, giving it replayability.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

The process of going through the resolutions is a little tedious but the game plays fine at 1920x1200 with details cranked up. I play with a keyboard because I can't be hosed to deal with hooking up chinese ps3 controller drivers but once you remap it away from the kind of clunky defaults it's perfectly playable for my sensibilities on normal difficulty.

Well if you ever change your mind about sticking with the keyboard, most people recommend against using the Chinese MotionInJoy drivers because they're very blatantly malware. Instead, there's an xinput wrapper that tricks your computer into thinking its a 360 controller. Just googling "PS3 xinput wrapper" ought to do it.

Also, for anyone curious, the PC version's wired gamepad support is fine. I'm pretty sure it's wireless that people are having trouble with.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

T.G. Xarbala posted:

MotionInJoy drivers because they're very blatantly malware.

I use betterDS3 which uses MotioninJoy drivers, it's malware? It was suggested by goons in the steam thread, I figured it was on the up and up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kly posted:

I use betterDS3 which uses MotioninJoy drivers, it's malware? It was suggested by goons in the steam thread, I figured it was on the up and up.

Well, that's also an alternative to MotionInJoy, yeah. It uses the same drivers but doesn't phone home, which is the important thing.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well if you ever change your mind about sticking with the keyboard, most people recommend against using the Chinese MotionInJoy drivers because they're very blatantly malware. Instead, there's an xinput wrapper that tricks your computer into thinking its a 360 controller. Just googling "PS3 xinput wrapper" ought to do it.
Well that worked shockingly well except player 1 doesn't appear to have a default control scheme.
While most of them are pretty straightforward what are the shoulder buttons best bound to?
I tried my own scheme but it appears that the way the menu and navigation works I've bound confirm and back to entirely unintuitive buttons.

E: What the christ this guy has a small boat as a weapon and he throws it on the ground to surf over scrubs.
GOTY right here.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 21, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As far as I know, I had default gamepad controls when I first started playing. So I guess how dodgy gamepad support is seems to be a case-by-case basis. That said, my defaults are:

L1 is Block
L2 is Call Horse
R1 is Switch Weapons
R2 is toggle minimap zoom

Also yes Huang Gai is pretty awesome.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hambilderberglar posted:

E: What the christ this guy has a small boat as a weapon and he throws it on the ground to surf over scrubs.
GOTY right here.
That was my moment when the game when from good to awesome too, yeah.

You know what? gently caress it. I've never played a DW game in English before so I'm gonna get the Steam version. I hear tell there is an unofficial Japanese voice patch floating around that maybe I will try, or maybe not.

edit: Does anyone think it's gonna go below 50% off during the summer sale? I have Steam sale brain now and need to know.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

That was my moment when the game when from good to awesome too, yeah.

You know what? gently caress it. I've never played a DW game in English before so I'm gonna get the Steam version. I hear tell there is an unofficial Japanese voice patch floating around that maybe I will try, or maybe not.

edit: Does anyone think it's gonna go below 50% off during the summer sale? I have Steam sale brain now and need to know.

IIRC you actually know Japanese fairly well, so congratulations on being the 0.01% of patch users who will actually understand the Japanese voices. :v:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's possible, but I don't think it's too likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, 50% is the daily sale price, so unless you want to wait another few months for the price to drop naturally, this is your best bet.