Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently, children dying in car accidents equal man running off road and rolling over a group of school kids.

If the government was truly concerned about saving the children, they would install blow dryers on public streets to dry the surface and prevent cars from losing control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Funnily enough, this wonderfully sanctimonious "safety" advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD8BkIgp9Fo

Now has both ratings and comments disabled. It was linked on Jalopnik, meaning an awful lot of people that actually know something about cars/driving found it, with predictable results.

I flagged it for "Violence against children". :v:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

InitialDave posted:

Now has both ratings and comments disabled. It was linked on Jalopnik, meaning an awful lot of people that actually know something about cars/driving found it, with predictable results.

I laughed at that advert, mostly at how cheesy it is and the clumsy point it is trying to make.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, EVERYONE was, hence the killing of all comments and ratings.

Strangely, their other adverts have a far more sensible "pay attention when you're driving" tone.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Oh God between that cheesy cover of "Sweet Child O' Mine" and the Michael Bay CGI, I was pretty much doomed to laugh until I cried from the start.

e: hahaha there's a "squish" sound at the point of impact!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 20, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The press release about it really shows their attitude:
http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/news-doe-160614-new-road-safety

:cop: posted:

drivers who speed think they are in control, but the evidence proves that speeding leads to uncontrollable consequences
:allears:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tonton Macoute posted:

This E36 wagon (not sure whether it's 325td or tds, but it's a manual) is currently on sale and can be bought for €3950. I am not really tempted though.

Good news about this is that it would take like 1 day to make this car look good as hell. Put some new wheels, tires and some coilovers on that and it would own.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Please buy it and ship it to Canada. I would do unspeakable things for an e36 wagon but everyone just imports e30s.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So much more interior to watch peel apart, oh the joys!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just plain douchey parking:

Also pictured, the birdshit-covered blue 1999 Ford Taurus I've been driving lately.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

xzzy posted:

If the government was truly concerned about saving the children, they would install blow dryers on public streets to dry the surface and prevent cars from losing control.

Yeah, but then this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFzZAjxSFE

(2012 Daytona 500, Juan Pablo Montoya takes out a jet drier)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I've always been very impressed with NASCAR track emergency/fire crews. What's the background of the guys that aren't bona fide firefighters?

Seems like those guys got on that one pretty fast.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seems one of my regulars didn't get the memo about the cruise control recall.

At least it wasn't in the garage.... and it was insured. Had been parked for several hours when it decided to kill itself in the wee hours of the morning.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What is it that does that on them?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

InitialDave posted:

In 14 years they've had maybe 30 kids killed? ~2 a year? I'd think more kids died of choking on toy cars in that time window than that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
28, actually, but yes, I raised that point myself.

Bear in mind that if you take the NI population and average annual distance travelled by car for that period, you get something like 120 billion miles total car travel by people....

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

InitialDave posted:

What is it that does that on them?

Ford, for some reason, placed the failsafe cruise control deactivation switch on the master cylinder itself, connected to the hydraulics somehow. It gets power 24/7, tends to leak, and is overfused from the factory. When it leaks long enough, the contacts get jammed, and you get some :supaburn: action that originates from the brake master cylinder area.

The recall "fix" was to just add a small fuse to the switch, and move it to a new power source.. but not replace the switch itself. Stepdad's F-150 pops that fuse every time he replaces it, and the switch on his is dripping pretty decently.

This PDF sums it up decently.

Found this pic that sums up the recall work:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

some texas redneck posted:

Ford, for some reason, placed the failsafe cruise control deactivation switch on the master cylinder itself, connected to the hydraulics somehow. It gets power 24/7, tends to leak, and is overfused from the factory. When it leaks long enough, the contacts get jammed, and you get some :supaburn: action that originates from the brake master cylinder area.

The recall "fix" was to just add a small fuse to the switch, and move it to a new power source.. but not replace the switch itself. Stepdad's F-150 pops that fuse every time he replaces it, and the switch on his is dripping pretty decently.

This PDF sums it up decently.

Found this pic that sums up the recall work:

Huh, what, why Ford? How hard is it to just run another connection to the stop light switch which informs the cruise control unit to disable?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I try not to get caught up in the "this manufacturer sucks always" bs but every loving time I work on a Ford I wish I could strangle some engineers. They go out of their way to do poo poo in the most obtuse fashion, and then they usually cock it up worse than Volkswagen engineers.

Plastic clutch master cylinder that likes to crack and leak, mounted inside the passenger compartment, buried in the dash (Focus)? What could possibly go wrong?
And I know Ford isn't the only one that does this but anybody that puts the slave cylinder inside the transmission bell-housing should also be shot.

DPFE? Normal EGR wasn't good enough for these cocksuckers, so they added a bunch of sensors and small, fiddly hoses and poo poo that breaks a lot. It doesn't do anything better.

As one of my friends likes to say whenever another Fordism is brought up: "They didn't have a better idea that day."

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 21, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My favorite "they circled the problem" moment was the first water pump I did on my '98 2.5L Ranger. Here, let's take the output and instead of just giving you a longer radiator hose, or extending the metal pump outlet, you get a composite plastic part that is just a press fit with an oring into the pump. Which literally runs through the alternator bracket.

I suppose here I at least need to add a dose of loving PO but all it takes is a bit of RTV on a seal that's supposed to go in dry, and that composite pipe becomes impossible to remove without cutting it in half and pulling half of the accessory drive off of the engine.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Root Bear posted:

"I hit a big pothole and now my car pulls and I think I smell gas leaking."

:cripes: :suicide:

Michigan.jpg

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chinatown posted:

I've always been very impressed with NASCAR track emergency/fire crews. What's the background of the guys that aren't bona fide firefighters?

Seems like those guys got on that one pretty fast.

There weren't any non-firefighters on the crews at Rockingham, Charlotte or Pocono (I've been on the first two at one time or another). I don't know how other tracks operate.

In fact, there was a specific crew of us that were VRTs (vehicle rescue technicians - you're certified through the state department of health to cut people out of cars using big loving hydraulic tools).

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

The gate sat on his truck for a good 20 seconds after oncoming traffic was released... I guess he could see what happened because he didn't try to move until it freed him.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

I try not to get caught up in the "this manufacturer sucks always" bs but every loving time I work on a Ford I wish I could strangle some engineers. They go out of their way to do poo poo in the most obtuse fashion, and then they usually cock it up worse than Volkswagen engineers.

Replacing the radiator on a 99 Taurus was interesting... They couldn't seem to decide if they wanted metric screws or standard, so any given fastener was a surprise. I believe the bolts on the battery cables were standard, but the battery tray was held down with metric screws. loving why?

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

A few years ago I was pulling up to a stop light and ran over a random running shoe sitting in the road. It bounced up and snapped a rusty brake line. Surprise!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pham Nuwen posted:

Replacing the radiator on a 99 Taurus was interesting... They couldn't seem to decide if they wanted metric screws or standard, so any given fastener was a surprise. I believe the bolts on the battery cables were standard, but the battery tray was held down with metric screws. loving why?

That's more of a late nineties thing than a Ford specific thing. The OEs were still converting to all-metric, but anything legacy was still using standard. I helped tear down a late nineties 302 once that had a mixture of metric and standard on the bell housing and torque converter. It was maddening.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 21, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Gentlemen, I give you the Landau top Toyota Camry:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My favourite Ford engineering thing lately is that lightbulb replacement for headlights and tail lights on a 04' Taurus requires removing the entire light assembly. Think you're going to get away with installing a new light in the Canadian Tire parking lot with no tools? Nice try buddy.

However I have to give Ford credit for making the Taurus incredibly resilient to battery failure. My alternator blew up and I limped it home from the middle of nowhere for over an hour as every accessory one by one crapped out. As I was making a mad dash for a Walmart the car started stumbling every time I hit the brake pedal, but would recover and keep on going. At that point nothing worked inside the car including the speedo.

8ender fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 21, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MetaJew posted:

Gentlemen, I give you the Landau top Toyota Camry:

Every time I see this I can't bring myself to believe people have done it on purpose but got it that way because it was hail damaged.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Motronic posted:

Every time I see this I can't bring myself to believe people have done it on purpose but got it that way because it was hail damaged.

I completely forgot about this angle. I know landau covers are used to cover up imperfections in sheet metal and stuff, but I didn't connect the dots. Photo was taken in Austin, and we have had some bad hail storms in the past.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How topical. I spent 5 hours on a 2002 Taurus today, acquiring help from an aircraft mechanic and a retired auto mechanic, before finding out you need to loosen the subframe bolts to drop it 2" to get clearance for the strut to slide out of the knuckle. Why not just bolt it to the side of the knuckle like everyone else? Goddamn.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I'd rather have a car that looks like people were hitting it with a ball peen hammer at the state fair carnival than one with a landau top, unspeakably ugly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Huh, what, why Ford? How hard is it to just run another connection to the stop light switch which informs the cruise control unit to disable?

This was my first question too, but then Motronic pointed out there's actually a recent component of the US federal vehicle code that says that cruise control disable must be physically linked (not electrically) to brake pedal actuation. Presumably when this directive came down, Ford's suppliers were already in full swing manufacturing brake master cylinders so they just went for the easiest/cheapest solution.

I mean, all involved engineers are probably fired now and have a semipermanent black mark on their employment history that will probably impede their ability to ever work at a vehicle OEM again ("I would have to say my biggest recall was, uh, three-quarters of a million trucks because they burst into flames inside the owners' garage"), but that's the risk you take. Enjoy working at suppliers for the rest of your careers, guys. Shenzhen is beautiful this time of year.

E: of course, the managers and accountants responsible are probably still gainfully employed and having six martini lunches at the executive bar, but you don't go into engineering thinking there is justice in the world.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 22, 2014

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
They came from ebay:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Koolaid car is unquestionably wrong thread.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

8ender posted:

My favourite Ford engineering thing lately is that lightbulb replacement for headlights and tail lights on a 04' Taurus requires removing the entire light assembly. Think you're going to get away with installing a new light in the Canadian Tire parking lot with no tools? Nice try buddy.
Same with my Ford Laser, you have to remove the whole tail light assembly. However the nuts are deep within the body structure at the rear of the car, so you need a massive socket extension and pray to god that the nut doesn't fall out of the socket and fall deep somewhere in the car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

8ender posted:

GM's the same way. First car I've owned where you couldn't just pop a new bulb in through the trunk, unless you count my F-150. And that just required opening the tailgate and removing a couple of screws.

... still haven't figured out what it takes to get the taillamp housings off (more because :effort:). I'm pretty sure the bulbs are original, so they could definitely stand replacement (more just so I don't have to worry about being pulled over for one burning out - the car is an 06, and it may or may not have the random questionable herb inside). I'll eventually swap them to decent LEDs..

To GM's credit, removing the entire headlamp assembly is 2 pins and 2 plugs (x2 for the other side). I think they did a similar approach with some of the SUVs.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 22, 2014

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I posted this the other day in the mech failures thread, thought it deserved a spot here too.

I futzed with the values a bit, but if you turn up your monitor you can see the extent of the damage better. FWIW, this car is driven often enough that I do not see it in the same spot parked. This is also in VA, where we do have annual inspections.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

How topical. I spent 5 hours on a 2002 Taurus today, acquiring help from an aircraft mechanic and a retired auto mechanic, before finding out you need to loosen the subframe bolts to drop it 2" to get clearance for the strut to slide out of the knuckle. Why not just bolt it to the side of the knuckle like everyone else? Goddamn.
I'm a little surprised, but only at the fact that you got an aircraft mechanic to touch a car. Most of us, given the choice, would rather tear down and rebuild an entire airliner with nothing more than a Leatherman than ever touch a car newer than about 1982. :)

You Am I posted:

Same with my Ford Laser, you have to remove the whole tail light assembly. However the nuts are deep within the body structure at the rear of the car, so you need a massive socket extension and pray to god that the nut doesn't fall out of the socket and fall deep somewhere in the car.
My wife's '06 Mustang is the same way. Pisses me off to no end, because I think that car somehow actually uses brake light bulbs as fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009