Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

Thanks, that was very helpful. Here's a site I think you should read. In the spirit of fair game, it is also for children. :)

Your site proves you're wrong and backs me up so... Thanks? Glad I was able to help you. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

nucleicmaxid posted:

http://www.softschools.com/social_studies/continents/map.jsp

:eng101: That's a site for children. Hopefully you'll be able to understand it. If not, please feel free to PM me or offer another way so that I can help you understand this very simple thing taught to third graders the world over.

Like, this isn't a US opinion thing. There are 7 continents, the whole world considers things the same way. It's the way things are defined.

This site, also for children, can help you too.

http://www.whatarethe7continents.com/

Whilst the seven-continent model is the most common there are a variety of ways of defining how many continents there are, from 4 up to 7, with different variations on whether to count The Americas as one or two, and whether to count Europe and Asia as one or two. The whole world does not consider this all the same way, for the record - Russia, Eastern Europe, Japan, and much of the Spanish-speaking world use a six-continent model, as do a few random other places.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kajeesus posted:

It isn't common usage in America, for sure. Just like a Frenchman would never refer to a German as a European.

A continent is a continuous body of land, separated from others by bodies of water. Further conventions also put this separation between larger bodies connected by a narrow stretch of land, as well as the geopolitical border between Europe and Asia. The latter is by far the most common usage in the United States, but fortunately, the English language is not defined by US conventions alone.

Are Africa and Eurasia one continent? Because those are just as connected as North and South America.

(also this is dumb you are trying so hard to be right on the dumbest of technicalities and even failing at that)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

nucleicmaxid posted:

Your site proves you're wrong and backs me up so... Thanks? Glad I was able to help you. :unsmith:

That site posted:

There are seven continents in the world although some people do combine Europe and Asia into the single continent Eurasia and others combine North and South America into the American continent.

[...]

The South American continent is the southern portion of the larger American continent.

Since you didn't seem to actually read it, I've extracted the important bits for you.

kazil posted:

Are Africa and Eurasia one continent? Because those are just as connected as North and South America.

(also this is dumb you are trying so hard to be right on the dumbest of technicalities and even failing at that)

Yes, that's Africa-Eurasia. It's not the most frequently used term, but it's absolutely a thing. Have you never had a geography class?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
HOLY poo poo THIS IS THE DUMBEST ARGUMENT EVER.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Whilst the seven-continent model is the most common there are a variety of ways of defining how many continents there are, from 4 up to 7, with different variations on whether to count The Americas as one or two, and whether to count Europe and Asia as one or two. The whole world does not consider this all the same way, for the record - Russia, Eastern Europe, Japan, and much of the Spanish-speaking world use a six-continent model, as do a few random other places.

Could actually be anywhere from 3-15 continents depending on how you define it. 3 (The Americas, Afro-Eurasia, and Australia... some people discount Antartica because it's more like a bunch of small islands which are covered and connected with ice) or 15(there are 15 tectonic plates, and geologists often define continents that way).

But the 7 continent view is by far the most commonly accepted one.

Apogee15 has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Jun 21, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FrumpleOrz posted:

Idiots on Something Awful Media.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

So, on which continents are men's rights being abused by circumcision?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kajeesus, were you dropped on your head you loving imbecile?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Maybe if other countries wanted to be called Americans they should've gotten off their butts and declared independence first. :fsmug:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kajeesus posted:

Since you didn't seem to actually read it, I've extracted the important bits for you.

Yes, that's Africa-Eurasia. It's not the most frequently used term, but it's absolutely a thing. Have you never had a geography class?

Some people smear poo poo on themselves and masturbate to pokemon it doesn't make them right. gently caress you go America (aka the US just in case you thought I meant maybe Argentina or Jamaica or some poo poo)

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

FrumpleOrz posted:

The best part about the last couple pages is the Rainwater Barrel Fun Facts (seriously, that's some good information).

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
gently caress THE MULTIPLE CONTINENTS! PANGAEA FOREVER! :banjo:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

FrumpleOrz posted:

New thread title

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

The best part about the last couple pages is the Rainwater Barrel Fun Facts (seriously, that's some good information).

I used to use rainwater for softwater fish tanks when I was a kid, but I wonder if that was such a great idea... Though, my fish would eat the mosquito larva up, so it was two things for my fish that were great.

That said, it is depressing how much arsenic was in that Fiji water for ages and yes, the tap water in many places is terrible.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ldywT3HL2Q

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bonestructure posted:

Rain collection is actually a good thing, environment-wise, if you do it right and use the water for watering the lawn and garden, washing the dog, etc. Saves the potable tap water for drinking. Residential rainwater collection can significantly ease municipal water use during droughts, which is a good thing. My local state agricultural college has a program that gives away rainbarrels to homeowners, along with instructions on how to properly set up and use one. Just one rainbarrel can keep a lawn watered over a long dry summer. I have two going myself, but I use a lot of water for the garden. It saves a bundle of cash on the water bill.

This is definitely a big concern with a rainbarrel, if you don't set it up and maintain it correctly it becomes just a very unhealthy source of standing water, it's better to dump it out if you can't keep it up. But it's really pretty easy to maintain a rainbarrel, keep the skeeters out, or keep them from laying with mosquito dunks. I use a solar water wiggler myself. Mosquito eggs can't survive in water with even a slight motion, so just the wiggler is enough to keep a barrel free of mosquito larvae.

Another possible issue with rainwater collection is that if you collect it off your roof, there is a possibility to have high levels of various metals (mainly Zinc, Copper, Iron or Lead, depending on the roof type). Especially when it rains after a dry period of a week or so. Diverting and dumping the first bit of rainwater (called the 'first flush' in rainwater collection circles) can alleviate this.
Also, if birds poo poo on your roof you might well get bird poo poo in your water. Again, diverting the first flush could help.

Lobsterpillar has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Jun 21, 2014

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Another possible issue with rainwater collection is that if you collect it off your roof, there is a possibility to have high levels of various metals (mainly Zinc, Copper, Iron or Lead, depending on the roof type). Especially when it rains after a dry period of a week or so. Diverting and dumping the first bit of rainwater (called the 'first flush' in rainwater collection circles) can alleviate this.
Also, if birds poo poo on your roof you might well get bird poo poo in your water. Again, diverting the first flush could help.

Surely all of these issues can be avoided with adequate filtration followed by irradiation to sterilize.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Surely all of these issues can be avoided with adequate filtration followed by irradiation to sterilize.

The problem there is how to you ensure people either A) Know to do this, B) Know how to do this correctly, or C) Are doing this correctly.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

NotAnArtist posted:

New thread title

Agreed. That was so stupid. I have a minor in physical geography, but I'm not going to anything other than a whole ton of you are dumb.

Anyway, no screenshots because I'm on my phone, but my sister posted a private conversation about how some guy friend said he wanted to gently caress her because she was hot, and she politely asked to not be spoken to that way. He then called her a nasty bitch, THEN had the nerve to request a free tattoo. She's an artist, and hilariously super open gay. My mom saw it and said something like "You NEVER loving talk to my daughter like that again you useless loving rear end in a top hat."

Apparently the dude and my sister had a ton of mutual friends so they would have all seen it.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

That's if you use it for drinking, which is generally not suggested for rainbarrels (though I do have a solar water purifier in case that ever becomes necessary, like in the aftermath of a hurricane.) Rainwater collection for drinking is a whole different ballgame than rainwater collection for non-potable use. You have to be super-careful if you are catching it for drinking. As far as it washing down the roof, if you're worried about chemicals leaching into water that you use to water your garden and contaminating your veggies or something, like Lobsterpillar wrote, they make first-flush diverters that will take care of that issue for you. I don't worry about it myself.

tviolet
May 20, 2004

The thread about it in the /r/videos subreddit is one of the most disgusting thing I ever came across : http://np.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/28jwqv/brutal_robbery_of_girl_at_a_boost_mobile_store/?sort=top. A bunch of people decided to quit reddit over this, not that it will make a difference.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

tviolet posted:

The thread about it in the /r/videos subreddit is one of the most disgusting thing I ever came across : http://np.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/28jwqv/brutal_robbery_of_girl_at_a_boost_mobile_store/?sort=top. A bunch of people decided to quit reddit over this, not that it will make a difference.

That Chris Rock bit has been taken up by racists way more than Rock ever intended. He's even stopped doing that bit due to how many white people use it as carte blanche permission to call black people the n-word.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Wait wait wait. Belladonna?? For teething tablets? That...doesn't sound like a great idea :psyduck:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

tviolet posted:

Wow, 14 loving gold coins? I didn't even know about gold coins until this thread brought them up the other day (never used reddit) but drat. People are paying to tell someone they made a good comment? A two word comment at that. Racists are incredibly weird.

Also, I had a few month lapse from this thread, but what happened to the titanic guy?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Context: A person in Argentina who has brown-ish skin, listens to cumbia villera, wears caps and baggy pants, and speaks while abbreviating every single word (Instead of saying peso, it's "pe", etc) would be called a "negro" or "cabeza" (head). This term also applies to criminals, unless they are white. (Even then, people would use the term if they fulfill all the previously mentioned criteria, but only sparingly).

I don't have any pictures since I'm on the phone and it would involve a lot of digging through months and months of Facebook posting, but there was an incident in Córdoba, Argentina in January where the police went on strike and people just raided the gently caress out of the city. Only two deaths, if I remember correctly, but it was a terrying experience for everyone involved who wasn't stealing everything that wasn't bolted down. Facebook EXPLODED in "loving negros" posts.
And saying "hey, that may be a little racist for the actual black population living in our country" would just get you called names for "having no empathy towards the working class" and "not realizing negro is not offensive if you don't mean it as an offensive, racial term, just as the term 'jew'".

:cripes:

I'll see of getting some pictures when I get home.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Someone reposted outdated news about gun activists carrying arms into Target:

I like that last one especially.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jackard posted:

I like that last one especially.

At this point 'gangster' and 'thug' are just code words for black people. Well to be honest 99% of the time when someone says those words it means "THOSE loving NIGGERS!" but they at least realize they can't be that openly racist all the time.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

tviolet posted:

I just scrolled down the page until I got to a post that had gold.

:barf:

Here's an imgur album of the expanded comment thread. http://imgur.com/a/ay68M
It's pretty bad.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Moatman posted:

I just scrolled down the page until I got to a post that had gold.

:barf:

Here's an imgur album of the expanded comment thread. http://imgur.com/a/ay68M
It's pretty bad.

Yeah, I think it's time to just write reddit off as a bigoted shithole with a few islands of sanity in it.

tviolet
May 20, 2004

This is apparently some white supremacist copypasta, linked so you can see the links he posted : http://np.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/28jwqv/brutal_robbery_of_girl_at_a_boost_mobile_store/cibq99r

These are the people who will say that racism is totally over. They seem to think on one level only, and feel super proud about themselves. :barf:

Edit: searched for the first words of his post and the first result is http://neonationalist.tumblr.com/post/71586311991/there-is-a-reason-black-people-are

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

tviolet posted:

This is apparently some white supremacist copypasta, linked so you can see the links he posted : http://np.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/28jwqv/brutal_robbery_of_girl_at_a_boost_mobile_store/cibq99r

These are the people who will say that racism is totally over. They seem to think on one level only, and feel super proud about themselves. :barf:

Edit: searched for the first words of his post and the first result is http://neonationalist.tumblr.com/post/71586311991/there-is-a-reason-black-people-are

Jesus loving christ.

But even with those stats the conclusion isn't "Black people are evil". But that's all they're trying to push. They completely ignore the fact that the African-American community has been poo poo on continually since, really forever. Incarceration rates alone are a red herring considering that laws are applied in a discriminant fashion (white first offenders vs. black first offenders) and even written to discriminate (crack vs. cocaine).

But no, it's just cause [insert Stormfront].

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

oh god, I thought my accidental derail over America was bad, but now we are derailing over SJW poo poo.

this argument is so loving dumb(because it keeps happening over and over)

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

RFC2324 posted:

oh god, I thought my accidental derail over America was bad, but now we are derailing over SJW poo poo.

this argument is so loving dumb(because it keeps happening over and over)

Uh, I think you've got it backwards? This is an anti-SJW derail.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
A friend just posted a bitstrip about missing their spouse.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LaughMyselfTo posted:

maybe, everytime people start arguing about race on SA nowadays my eyes glaze over and I start speed scrolling.

on the bright side, it means plenty of practice shitposting.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I thought we were talking about how reddit is racist?

How is it "SJW" to call people out on their racism?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Crain posted:

I thought we were talking about how reddit is racist?

How is it "SJW" to call people out on their racism?

how is it calling reddit out on their racism to post about it here? SJW is just screaming and yelling about how racist people are in a safe place where they won't see you anyway(ever since tumblr got ahold of the term)

post stupid people for us to mock, don't get all worked up about them being stupid racists

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Crain posted:

So this has started making the rounds on facebook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uag2G0J6iqw

Looks funny, seems to be in the vein of "Hollywood Shuffle", and I'm probably gonna go see it. But of course the minorities are getting uppity so certain people have to chime in:

Recreated in on of those facebook post generators.

It's not an unexpected response. But seriously how can people not realize that there is legitimate grievances that minorities have when it comes to their portrayal in films and it's not "reverse racism" that someone is making a film talking about it.

He did clarify later on what "Dear Black People" might be about :

Yeah, no where to go from there. :stare:

So is David Palmer back to being the President or is he still shilling for Allstate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Well I have another from reddit anyway. This time about the Redskins name.

"I wouldn't use the word to refer to a Native American but I don't think it has anything to do with them anymore anyway."

:shrug:

• Locked thread