Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

solarjaye posted:

I think State made a mistake by changing from ACT to Pearson.

The computers at my center were very slow. I had to click a few times to move from one question to another. In the English portion, the window would refresh (very slowly) with every question and send me to the top, so I had to scroll down every time, again slowing me down.

I do have to say, test takers are wonderful! I didn't have earplugs so I was afraid there would be noise, but it was super quiet. Thank you!!

I'd also like to point out that last year, ACT printed out the passwords for everyone taking the test that day and marked us off one by one (they had a giant list of usernames and passwords)
Granted I'm not impressed by Pearson because scheduling a test with them sucked because there were very few options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

Captain Bravo posted:

Test over! Now to wait on the results... I think I did pretty well, spaced on some of the international policy questions, but nailed the English and writing portion! The next step is the Personal Narrative, right? How long will it take to find out whether I am through to that step? Is it just the 3-5 week estimate they gave me to grade my exam?

Yeah, now the waiting begins. Probably sometime in mid- or late-July you will get your score results. If you pass the test and essay, you will have about 3 weeks to get your personal narratives submitted. Then it's another two-month wait to see if you'll be invited to the OA (oral assessment). Congratulations on surviving the FSOT! Here's hoping for good results!

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Just checking into the thread as my transition settles down. Got my UAB and the first half of HHE (the stuff that came out of Hagerstown and Abuja; the stuff they packed out of Oakwood right before we left is still a ways out) already and am back in fighting shape on the NIV line. Seoul seems a nice enough place to live and the embassy is definitely a good group of folks. I hear we just administered the test; I doubt there were an goons involved there.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Oh my old OMS is working in Seoul. My condolences, she was awful.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Starting A-100 on Monday. Any words of wisdom?

The Mantis fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 28, 2014

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

The Mantis posted:

Starting A-100 on Monday. Any words of wisdom.

Yikes. Suits in this heat? I'm so sorry.

Don't be that person who prefaces every question with "When I'm an ambassador..."

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Zoots posted:

Don't be that person who prefaces every question with "When I'm an ambassador..."

:lol: what? People seriously do that?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

The Mantis posted:

I've never actually tried the food trucks but they've got to be better than the cafeteria.

I'm going to at FSI for a month starting a week from Monday. I'd be happy to meet any goons newbies or not.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
apparently the FSI cafeteria is under renovation with the intent to provide better food and traffic flows.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gold and a Pager posted:

:lol: what? People seriously do that?

Oh my god. Also don't be that guy who knows more than everyone else.

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

BoF in OP posted:

...That said, there are plenty of officers who spend their whole career working in the consular field, and they love it. Some reasons why:

The hours are good. With the exception of ACS (which by definition deals with emergencies), consular is almost always an eight-to-five job. Also, the visa process is very IT heavy, so you're not taking work home from the office. (This helps to avoid malfeasance issues, too.) There are generally fewer representational requirements for consular officers than for traditional reporting officers, thus leaving one's evenings free.

I can attest that if you're at a small post, none of this is true.

The flip side is that at small posts your work is not strictly any one thing (visas, ACS, etc..) but runs the whole gamut of consular work, and possibly even a few things that wouldn't normally be consular duties. As an example, because it dealt with a consular issue, I recently accompanied our ambassador to a meeting at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which is normally a POL officer's role.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Continuous posted:

I can attest that if you're at a small post, none of this is true.

The flip side is that at small posts your work is not strictly any one thing (visas, ACS, etc..) but runs the whole gamut of consular work, and possibly even a few things that wouldn't normally be consular duties. As an example, because it dealt with a consular issue, I recently accompanied our ambassador to a meeting at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which is normally a POL officer's role.

My first post was at a 1 person consular show, and she routinely worked 12+ hour days as well as weekend work.

Although that was her third tour and she's consular cone. When I left there was talks about creating an EL slot- not sure if that happened though.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I've never actually tried the food trucks but they've got to be better than the cafeteria.

I'm going to at FSI for a month starting a week from Monday. I'd be happy to meet any goons newbies or not.
It's a cluster gently caress. I was just there for three weeks, and some days were terrible. My first day I did the food truck and it was taking people over 45 minutes to get their food. Only reason we were served quicker was our class got out at 11:45 instead of 12:00. It's going to be even a bigger poo poo show if it's still under renovation when language starts up.

TCD fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 28, 2014

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
When I'm ambassador, we're moving to a three-day work week.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Business of Ferrets posted:

When I'm ambassador, we're moving to a three-day work week.

When I'm ambassador, I'm moving to abolish the necktie in more humid climes.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

The Mantis posted:

Don't be the person who always asks reeeeeally specific questions about your personal circumstances in dealing with whatever issues your having. The class hated people who always thought q&a was a soapbox on whatever problems they were dealing with.

problematique fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 29, 2014

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

problematique posted:

Don't be the person who always asks reeeeeally specific questions about your personal circumstances in dealing with whatever question you have. The class hated people who always thought q&a was a soapbox on whatever problems they were dealing with.

Especially before lunch.

Can you tell I was in a large summertime A-100?

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
RE A-100: Questions are ok, comments are not. There's no real need to contribute your experiences to the class during class hours. Save that for happy hour.

RE No neckties in humid climates: Are you the ambassador in South Korea now? We are Cool Biz players here.

RE Consular work at small posts: Life in small consular sections vs large is perhaps the biggest difference you'll find in the foreign service. POL/ECON, MGMT, PD are all more or less the same but I was acting CONS chief with 8 months of experience, contributing to country team and contentious discussions with CA, in charge of the foils and the monies, and everything. At the current post, we're big enough we follow SOP and no untenured controls of visa foils and only FS3 for monies. I've got the experience to carry a lot of responsibility because of the work in Abuja but won't use it here. And we're definitely 8:30-5:00 here. I took all my extra hours as comp time in Abuja and accumulated over 500 hours (some of that was during my POL tour but 2/3-3/4 was from consular). There was just too much work in addition to the interviews. As there wasn't much else to do in Abuja, I was a pig in poo poo about it all.

I highly recommend doing a hardship tour out of A-100 if you can. I think it's harder to go from Seoul to Abuja than the other way around.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Nutrimentia posted:

I highly recommend doing a hardship tour out of A-100 if you can. I think it's harder to go from all other 1st/2nd world posts to AF than the other way around.

Fixed to reflect my personal experiences being around FSOs and their career histories.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
nice edit. And regardless where you go out of A-100, keep reminding yourself that the next post is likely to be a very very different experience.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Zoots posted:

When I'm ambassador, I'm moving to abolish the necktie in more humid climes.

Japan has this figured out, too.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Manila has a necktie policy! ho ho ho. :suicide: not that the Ambassador wears one. Everyone else got to though. Prudence, you know.

When I'm an Ambassador.. i don't even know. mandatory 2 week work hiatus (similar to what HR goes through) in order to sort out everyone's EER?

edit: mandatory 1/2nd tour Marine House Happy Hours with built-in Boxing Ring

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Echoing the "Go to a hardship tour out of A-100 if you can" line. If for nothing else, the extra equity you'll get coming out of it will give you great options on that second tour, and you'll be ready for a nice post at that point.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I still haven't gotten a ruling from Pearson about the FSOT/power outage incident. I called them early last week and they told me to just sit tight and wait, but the original estimate had been that a decision would be made in 3-5 business days from the time of the incident. I'm tempted to call again tomorrow and prod some more, but I don't know what else to say besides "hey I'm still waiting, what gives".

What's a good way to prod in this sort of situation? Should Pearson be prodded about this?

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Nutrimentia posted:

Seoul seems a nice enough place to live and the embassy is definitely a good group of folks. I hear we just administered the test; I doubt there were an goons involved there.
I just finished grad school here and know some of the consular people at the Embassy Annex. I took the TEST there in Feb but got bumped out by the QEP :(

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Management Officers,

start your engines! (by that i mean get out your cigs and lighters)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/06/27/statement-president-occasion-ramadan

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

tismondo posted:

I just finished grad school here and know some of the consular people at the Embassy Annex. I took the TEST there in Feb but got bumped out by the QEP :(

Sorry to hear that. If you're still around, I'd be up to meet and get your take on life around these parts though.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
is Shine still there? She would be the RSO OMS I believe.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Health insurance query: anyone have strong opinions on Compass Rose vs. FS Benefit Plan?

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
On that note between FSBP and Blue Cross Blue Shield plan? It seems most folks are on one of those two. I'm PCSing next week so will be changing from my DC area plan. I'm young, have no special needs, was thinking of just picking FSBP due to popularity.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
IIRC the main difference was that FSBP is nominally better overseas and BCBS is nominally better at home. The difference between them was relatively minor. Either one should be excellent.

-e- I was on FSBP.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Leif. posted:

IIRC the main difference was that FSBP is nominally better overseas and BCBS is nominally better at home. The difference between them was relatively minor. Either one should be excellent.

-e- I was on FSBP.

BCBS here and they handled me alright when I had a pretty long medevac. But yeah, I agree the differences are pretty minor.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Most seem to use FSBP or BCBS. I figured since I'm unlikely to seek out medical care on the economy anyway I'd stick with a cheaper plan and did the GEHA HDHP with HSA. Didn't work out great last year when my daughter was medevaced, but I still think overall I've come out ahead for the three years that I've been in.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Oh man. I forgot there were HSA plans available. I love fsbp but my HSA from my last job is dwindling, I may have to switch for a year and throw some cash into that.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
I'm using mine as a pseudo-retirement vehicle. I max it out and just pay any expenses out of pocket and save the receipts. There is no deadline for qualified disbursements so I just leave the money in there to grow. Then whenever I want to take some out I can get the amount equal to what I've paid out of pocket over the years out tax free.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
I would note that if you do go BCBS, do the standard (vice basic) plan to be able to do easier mail order prescriptions. Makes it easier for those that need to be on anti-malarials and such.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
I heard it as "overseas go FSBP (high if married/kids); Domestic assignment go BCBS." since BCBS has great network/quality of doctors in the States.

that said FSBP is fantastic. they have a huge rear end book that is in simple terms on what they cover. (e.g. WE PAY: $x % YOU PAY: $y %)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I do love my FSBP massage reimbursements.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Another vote for FSBP overseas and BCBS in the States.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Skandiaavity posted:

I heard it as "overseas go FSBP (high if married/kids); Domestic assignment go BCBS." since BCBS has great network/quality of doctors in the States.

that said FSBP is fantastic. they have a huge rear end book that is in simple terms on what they cover. (e.g. WE PAY: $x % YOU PAY: $y %)

IIRC for most things when overseas, FSBP is a flat 90% coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Nutrimentia posted:

Sorry to hear that. If you're still around, I'd be up to meet and get your take on life around these parts though.
Sure sure! I have been here 3 1/2 years now so I've got several different takes to share. I'll PM you.