Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I don't know that Bendis pulled the Dark Beast out of the hat at the last minute, honestly - the pacing (and I use that term loosely) of this issue leads me to believe that Bendis thought he'd have more time post-Original Sin to play with some of the storylines he'd been setting up, but for whatever reason - he's leaving the X-books earlier than expected, he had a better idea, he looked at his story pacing and said 'poo poo I better wrap this up ASAP,' whatever - he had to truncate quite a bit.

That's the only real explanation I have for several issues of nothing happening followed by one issue of holy poo poo everything happening all at once. I mean, Bendis' run on Avengers dragged in places but even it was paced well for the trades; this is a whole bunch of slowly-ambling storylines suddenly accelerating to breakneck speed before slamming into one another in a glorious crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

he's leaving the X-books earlier than expected

Is this actually happening or were you just speculating?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Is this actually happening or were you just speculating?

Speculating. Thus the 'for whatever reason' followed by a bunch of hypothetical reasons. ;)

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I though so, but I went and got my hopes up and had to be sure.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

With the exception of say the upcoming Star Wars books there's not really anything big other than X-Men that Bendis hasn't done at Marvel so he's no doubt stuck doing this for the next 3-4 years (at least).

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Has there been any talk about the status quo changing once Wolverine dies here pretty quick?
If'n it was up to me, I'd cancel WatX, or rather, rename it just plain X-Men and cancel the current adjectiveless run which is boring. End the schism because of how sad we are that Logan's dead. The O5, or rather, O4+X23, decide to stay semi-autonomous and keep ANXM until Bendis is done with it, assuming Bendis has more of a handle on where he's going with this one than he did for Uncanny. That leaves us with:
X-Men: The school-focused book
ANXM: Bendis' book
Cyclops: Can't wrap up ANXM until this one's done what it wants to do, and I like this one a lot so far.
All-New X-Factor: Is still pretty okay but not as good as Gambit's solo
X-Force: You know, you could move Cyclops onto this title so he'd make less waves at the school
Uncanny Avengers: Doesn't count. Time travel book.
Amazing X-Men: I would totally cancel this one too and replace it with Awesome All-New New X-Men: The Rockslide-focused book everybody doesn't know they want yet.
Storm: I will never read this because I hate every version of her

Also: My unsolicited opinion on why Uncanny wrapped the story up so fast other than "Bendis sucks sometimes": He already has an idea for how the Original Sin issue/s is/are gonna affect his story going forward, and editorial said "no, you don't have two issues left to wrap your current story up, we gotta get the loving OS tie-in out the door because the event's 2/3 over already! Do it in one!"

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
How long has it been since Dark Xmen? That's the last of Dark Beast that I can remember reading.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dark X-Men came out in 2010. After that, Dark Beast showed up in an arc of Uncanny X-Force (2011, and you should read all of this awesome series), which ultimately ended with him leaving 616 for good. He had no reason to come back, experiment on himself, or engage on dumb moustache-twirling shenanigans with the X-Men, especially when it came at odds with his characterization written by Mike Carey, Paul Cornell, and Rick Remender in the last few years.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 20, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I realize that maybe four of us read Dazzler's Xtreme X-Men and I realize that Bendis gives 0 fucks about previous characterization. But....

Well, I'll let the picture in the link speak for itself.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index....campaign=buffer

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Even Ultimate Dazzler would say she looks like she's trying too hard.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The pain just keeps getting worse.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Great. Dazzler goes Penance.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WickedHate posted:

Great. Dazzler goes Penance.

She looks more like a clown then emo, IMO.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just read the first three volumes of All New X-Men and absolutely love it. Is this the one you guys all hate?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unmature posted:

Just read the first three volumes of All New X-Men and absolutely love it. Is this the one you guys all hate?

Uncanny is the boring, sloppily written one. I still enjoy ANXM.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think Bendis is being payed under the table to bring down Marvel's #1 series by DC. It's still better than most of DCs output though.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Let me tell you about my new show Powers coming exclusively to Sony platforms... oh yeah uh X-Men, um, Dark Beast did it, anyway here's some concept art of Detective Walker.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Soonmot posted:

I realize that maybe four of us read Dazzler's Xtreme X-Men and I realize that Bendis gives 0 fucks about previous characterization. But....

Now I know Bendis is trying to piss me off on purpose :argh:

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

quote:

Asked whether it seemed a bit sad to depict a character that must be in her thirties by now, in Marvel time, in the garb of a moody teenager from twenty years ago, "The Great One" pointed out that, up until this year, Dazzler has represented the fashion of disco music, which doesn't even make sense since Marvel's inscrutable fluctuating timeline means the first class of X-Men formed sometime around 2007.

This man is saying goth is better than disco. I mean, they're both bad, but at least disco has some endearing cheesiness to it.

Also nobody loving cares about the wonky timeline.

Jeabus Mahogany fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 21, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Oh well that explains why the time stranded X-Men have no idea what a cell phone is and are flabergasted that people buy water in bottles.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Oh, I hate that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

Oh well that explains why the time stranded X-Men have no idea what a cell phone is and are flabergasted that people buy water in bottles.

Bendis wrote those scenes himself! :argh:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
If you keep talking about the past timeline, it will start to matter, and that's how we get poo poo like the New 52. The original X-Men come from the 60s, unless they don't, and the 60s were anywhere from 10 to 50 years ago. Independent of this, Cyclops is, like, 35 at most. Tony Stark also got injured in the second or third most recent war the US has been involved in.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm perfectly fine with Earth-616's defining feature is that time works weirdly. Just say the original X-Men are from the sixties. Yes, it's 2014. Who gives a gently caress.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

This man is saying goth is better than disco. I mean, they're both bad, but at least disco has some endearing cheesiness to it.

Also nobody loving cares about the wonky timeline.

Plus Disco was actually still relevant as a pop culture phenomenon when Dazzler first appeared

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Plus Disco was actually still relevant as a pop culture phenomenon when Dazzler first appeared

The funniest thing to me is that they're turning Dazzler into a goth chick the exact moment disco became popular again.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
That Outhousers article, like most Outhousers articles, is really loving dumb.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Anyone who thinks (old) Dazzler's style doesn't fit contemporary culture hasn't been paying attention to pop music the past five years. At this point punk is more out of touch than disco is.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

d00gZ posted:

That Outhousers article, like most Outhousers articles, is really loving dumb.

I've never been to that site before now, but after browsing a few articles I have to agree. I don't like Dazzler's new look in that cover, but I wouldn't call it emo or goth. Plus, I'm guessing it's not going to be in tatters normally... I hope.

Soonmot posted:

I realize that maybe four of us read Dazzler's Xtreme X-Men and I realize that Bendis gives 0 fucks about previous characterization.

I really enjoyed that title, but even going in I didn't expect it to get more than an arc or 2 before cancellation. General James Howlett and Hercules - Great Marvel couple, or the greatest Marvel couple?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Kaleidoscope posted:

Anyone who thinks (old) Dazzler's style doesn't fit contemporary culture hasn't been paying attention to pop music the past five years. At this point punk is more out of touch than disco is.

Yeah the article itself is dumb and Dazzler reinventing herself isn't anything new but it is hilariously out of date. Makes me feel more bummed out that we'll never get our modern reinvented Dazzler story.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I just realized something that really drives home how dumb the whole O5 storyline is. So they establish that no one can send the O5 back in time for reasons, and they make a huge deal over how no one can come up with a solution. The problem is that there's an insultingly easy solution to this whole thing:

1. Future Beast goes back in time to just before Past Beast uses the time machine and tells him about how taking the O5 to the present is a stupid idea
2. Past Beast never goes back to the 60's, so the O5 never appear in the future and as a result nothing in ANXM happens
3. Because Future Beast belongs to a reality that no longer exists, he Marty McFlys out of existence and all the loose ends are tied up

The time machine rewrites the timeline instead of creating an alternate reality so things would go completely back to normal, and this could have been done at any time, without even needing the O5 to be in the room. The fact that this entire storyline hinges on no one doing this really obvious thing (especially Beast, who is smart enough to invent a time machine yet not smart enough to think of this in the literal decades spent coming up with a solution) really brings home how poorly thought-out and flimsy this storyline is.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
They should just have Alison be the David Bowie of the 616 and have her change her shtick every couple of years. I eagerly await the horror of Tin Machine Dazzler some point down the line.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm not terribly broken up that Dazzler won't be drawn as Generic Spandex Wearing Blonde Woman #a billion any more. Let her look like she just walked out of a Vampire: The Masquerade sourcebook for awhile, it'll be a change of pace.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Cabbit posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm not terribly broken up that Dazzler won't be drawn as Generic Spandex Wearing Blonde Woman #a billion any more.

I'm saddened that we won't get to see Bachalo try and draw a scene where Magik, Emma, Celeste and Dazzler are standing next to each other

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That reminds me of something else that annoyed me in the last issue, Mystique/Dazzler vanished, but when they cut to a shot of the helicarriers bridge, there was a woman who looked exactly like her, because Bachalo has like one face he draws on women, and they are only able to be told apart via hair and clothing.

What's annoying is I like his style in general, but holy poo poo he needs to learn to draw womens faces that all don't look exactly the same.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me of something else that annoyed me in the last issue, Mystique/Dazzler vanished, but when they cut to a shot of the helicarriers bridge, there was a woman who looked exactly like her, because Bachalo has like one face he draws on women, and they are only able to be told apart via hair and clothing.

What's annoying is I like his style in general, but holy poo poo he needs to learn to draw womens faces that all don't look exactly the same.

I don't usually notice this with Bachalo, mostly because that face isn't near as infuriating as Land's only woman face, but yes, the woman on the bridge looking exactly like Dazzler only wearing red was jarring.

Oh, and according to the last question in this Axel-in-Charge column, WatX will be changing its name. If it's "Storm and the X-Men" I'll cry.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
This thread needs some positivity.

I just read Schism and it kicked rear end. I hope Regenesis is as good. I also read the first issue of X-Men, the all girl one and liked it. It's a good issue, not great, but I hear it picks up. All the next X-Men are the women so even if it's not a super fun book like WatX or ANX it should still be interesting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was 100% behind Wolverine's justification of leaving and restarting to the school up. It seems in character that Wolverine would want the kids to have a chance of a normal (for what its worth) life, rather than being soldiers in Scotts mutant army.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

twistedmentat posted:

I was 100% behind Wolverine's justification of leaving and restarting to the school up. It seems in character that Wolverine would want the kids to have a chance of a normal (for what its worth) life, rather than being soldiers in Scotts mutant army.

I thought it was silly because the world they live in really didn't match that, and wolverine is the last character who should be the delusional idealist.

Though why they both didn't want to the school to just be Xavier's mix of the two is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
If it isn't "Quentin Quire and the X-Men," then it's false advertising.

• Locked thread