Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ-fBgzwikA

Secure your loads, people.

2:30 - 2:45 are the best explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Solar Coaster posted:

(I'm looking at you OR and CA)

I don't know about Oregon, but in California we have a similar law about holding up traffic.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

I don't know about Oregon, but in California we have a similar law about holding up traffic.

And I think I've seen at least 2 people pull over like that since moving here 3 years ago.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Solar Coaster posted:

Also people can't seem to understand that also in Washington state the law is if you are holding up 5+ vehicles then by law you must pull over and let the traffic pass. In fact, there are signs on the side of the road that state this law. But because people around here are loving morons and theres so many goddamn transplants (I'm looking at you OR and CA), no one pays attention and its a free for all. Stuck behind someone? Too loving bad.
This is also the law in California. No one, includung the washington plated cars do it. The only time I will get truly aggressive.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

And I think I've seen at least 2 people pull over like that since moving here 3 years ago.

Yeah. My point was that it's not because they're transplants, it's because there are bad drivers everywhere.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Raluek posted:

I'm pretty sure every state has some form or another of impeding traffic laws, the problem is they are rarely enforced since the vast majority of traffic cops only seem to care about speeding, tint and DUI.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

blk posted:

Washington.jpg

Why do people in your state drive so slow in the left and center lanes?

I'm actually from :canada: but every time I go down to Washington there's ALWAYS some fucker in the left lane doing exactly the speed limit. I have a feeling that's why "left lane is for passing only you shitheads" is a law there now...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kazinsal posted:

I'm actually from :canada: but every time I go down to Washington there's ALWAYS some fucker in the left lane doing exactly the speed limit. I have a feeling that's why "left lane is for passing only you shitheads" is a law there now...

They do the speed limit??? Here in Calgary, having at least one lane of an expressway going the speed limit is what we call an exceptional day.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

For when you absolutely positively can't walk just an extra few meters to the shop door, why not just park on a sidewalk?

Tell me BMW owners, does the sense of entitlement come with the base grade or is that an optional extra? :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

For when you absolutely positively can't walk just an extra few meters to the shop door, why not just park on a sidewalk?

Tell me BMW owners, does the sense of entitlement come with the base grade or is that an optional extra? :v:

Comes with the 5 series or higher.

3 series bros still have to put their 4 way flashers on when they park like a dick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure it's not an option on M series, they took it out to save weight. Instead they just weave through traffic at double the posted speed limit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I got flipped off by some douche in a BMW for having the audacity to pass him on the right because he was doing 60 in the left lane this morning.

I just grinned manically at him. I find that usually leaves assheads with something to prove... somewhat at a loss as to what they should do next.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I live in a small town, and my house is on one of the main north/south roads. Co-worker comes up to me at work the other day and comments that I need to "not slow down so fast, I almost rear ended you on the way home when you turned into your driveway!"

No, you're just loving stupid and can't pay attention. Never mind that I was signaling way in advance. Just because my brake lights aren't on doesn't mean I'm not slowing down, I downshifted you fool. I was also watching my rearview and you looked up from your phone at the last second.

This from a co-worker I've had the pleasure of traveling with (for work) and seeing just how well they drive. Out of 18 hours of driving on that trip I did 16.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
No blower motor + huge downpour + bald rear end rear tires on a RWD car= I'm the person you share the road with. I was literally driving with my head out of my window in the middle of a 4"+ hour rainstorm because it was the only way I could kind of see anything. Until my glasses started fogging up too. Then I just put my flashers on, kept the wheel as straight as I could and hoped I didn't run into the back of some idiot without his lights on.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

rscott posted:

No blower motor + huge downpour + bald rear end rear tires on a RWD car= I'm the person you share the road with. I was literally driving with my head out of my window in the middle of a 4"+ hour rainstorm because it was the only way I could kind of see anything. Until my glasses started fogging up too. Then I just put my flashers on, kept the wheel as straight as I could and hoped I didn't run into the back of some idiot without his lights on.

Get off the road if you can't see? :argh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Has to be a troll post.

Of course, there are those idiots that have a Geo Metro or something that's broken and can only go 35mph, so they decide to get on the freeway, because obviously putting their hazards on makes them immune to minimum speed requirements. There's no possible way they could take a surface street or something, right?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Geirskogul posted:

Has to be a troll post.

Of course, there are those idiots that have a Geo Metro or something that's broken and can only go 35mph, so they decide to get on the freeway, because obviously putting their hazards on makes them immune to minimum speed requirements. There's no possible way they could take a surface street or something, right?

Excuse me, but as the owner of a Suzuki Swift (tbf it has a 1.3L) I would like to let you know I can do 75mph before the shaking gets too uncomfortable.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, in my Blazer last year the one bad rainstorm I drove through without A/C (which spurred me to fix it), I pulled over as soon as it started fogging up. I was on my way to work, so I ended up grabbing some spare napkins and wiping the windshield and windows down best I could, drive a bit, repeat. Boss tried to get pissed when I came in, but gently caress those guys, I'm not killing people to get to my minimum wage lube job fifteen minutes sooner.

This attitude may be related to my first accident soon after I started driving. It was winter, windshield fogged up before the defrost kicked in, I could kinda see through so I kept driving, but turned a corner into sunlight which blinded me and I ended up plowing the corner of the car into a guy's trailer. He didn't really give a gently caress, he had a welder so had his trailer light back on an hour later, but the car got hosed up pretty good; about $1,400 of suspension damage (tie rod snapped on that side, and the control arm was bent, which is a pain in the rear end on a Taurus, plus the alignment after). The shop was less than a mile away up small side streets, so I drove the car there with a broken tie rod. :gonk: Ahh, youth, how the gently caress did you not kill me?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I was late to my psychologist appointment, but I will mention that I have driven a corolla with a broken passenger side tie rod for about a month, on the highway at times because I am really dumb

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

tuna posted:

The crosswalks around me in LA do bird chirps to walk. Some close to where I live also speak to you in a horrifying Robocop voice. "WAIT", they demand. "CROSS VENICE NOW", they order.

The sounds I recorded came from a car though, since they followed me down the street for a mile.

the crossings a few towns over from me go "wait." and instead of making a machine gun noise or going "crossing sign on", they just go "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" like the thing forgot what it was supposed to say

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Saw this on the way to work the other morning.

Just in case you cannot see the sign. It says "no brake lights, stay back"

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Geirskogul posted:

Has to be a troll post.

I saw a guy on a loving 50cc scooter on i5 a couple weeks ago, in the express lanes no less. Granted it was morning rush hour, so most of the time we were only moving at less than 35mph, but it did clear out in a few spots and everyone was doing 60+mph. I don't know if he had a death wish or honestly did not understand that taking a vehicle with a max speed of around 40mph onto the freeway was a bad plan and rather illegal.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I've thought about this a little in terms of inspections. On one hand, it kinda sucks for people who can only barely scrunge enough together to get a shitbox, when they get told they can't drive their shitbox because it can't pass inspection. The other side being that no inspections means more lovely cars on the roads.

I think the midground could be issuing a different set of stickers for a new category of "You can drive this, but not on the freeway." Then again, this all falls apart anyway, because Jim down at the auto shop doesn't give 2 shits and will sign off on the inspection anyway, if you pass him :10bux:.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We had emissions tests in Kentucky for a bit but they made no sense. The old, dirty cars were exempt but you had to get your new clean cars tested every year. Basically a big waste of time.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

atomicthumbs posted:

they just go "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" like the thing forgot what it was supposed to say

I read this in Tina's voice from Bob's Burgers and it really made my day.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Missouri is just the safety inspection every 2 years. No emissions except a few counties around St. Louis, I believe.
It's mostly just checking that your lights work and no OBD codes are being thrown.

I guess in my vision, you would check the lights, the tires (no donuts), any significant rusting, and ideally a dynamo to check if your car can even accelerate to highway speeds in any reasonable amount of time/space. Unfortunatly, due to the costs of something like this, fat chance it would ever happen. At the very least, something like this would actually fulfill the purpose of keeping unsafe cars off the road more-so than just checking for OBD codes or sticking a sensor up the tailpipe will.

I don't care so much about shitbuckets cruising around, it's just when they're cruising around at 70+ with frame rot and a spare tire that scares me.

xergm fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 27, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xergm posted:

I've thought about this a little in terms of inspections. On one hand, it kinda sucks for people who can only barely scrunge enough together to get a shitbox, when they get told they can't drive their shitbox because it can't pass inspection. The other side being that no inspections means more lovely cars on the roads.

I think the midground could be issuing a different set of stickers for a new category of "You can drive this, but not on the freeway." Then again, this all falls apart anyway, because Jim down at the auto shop doesn't give 2 shits and will sign off on the inspection anyway, if you pass him :10bux:.

Here in the UK, we have very stringent annual tests and I think that they are a great idea.

Sure it sucks that you have to fix things and it costs. But honestly speaking, if you don't people will quite happily drive with cars that are a danger to other users.

I'll take the annual, nervous wait in the test centre and potential wallet pain if in return, it means that I am less likely to hit on the way home by someone with worn tyres and no brakes.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I definitely agree. In the back of my mind though, inspections would affect the lower income families the hardest though. Those that could barely scrounge up enough for a car to get to/from work. That car is their livlihood. Rational countries would have good public transit and social safety nets that negate some of this, but this is the US and well... :can:...

So if fixing the social issues is off the table, at the very least I would take pushing the rust-buckets to the lower-volume roads. The people who depend on these cars can still use them, and it makes the freeways a little safer. I don't want to punish people who can't afford a car which passes, but at some point these cars get so unsafe to the point where removing even the worst of the worst would make the roads at least a little better.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Inspections piss me the gently caress off because my shitcans always fail for trivial bullshit or things that don't loving matter, yet I see people doglegging down the highway happily on 2 donut spares with a rotted fuel tank strap hanging off the bottom of their car because they have no idea what they're doing and hadn't stuffed their car into a guardrail yet 6 months ago when they got it inspected.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Come to florida, no safety inspections!

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Unfortunately, my ideal vision falls apart rather quickly in the real world. Cops look for tint, DUIs, and speed. I bet if they'd actually start handing out tickets with the "Vehicle Unsafe for Travel" box you'd see a lot less too. I think the real overarching issue is the lack of public transit, and the mentality this has giving us over the last 100 years since we first began driving. Everyone needs a car. Old, new, rusted, clean, it's just impossible to get around in the US without one in most cities. Until we change the mentality on how we travel, I just can't see taking cars off the road, either through inspections, enforcement, etc. actually working effectively until you can say "oh that sucks, but there's still the train/bus/metro" when your car is deemed unsafe.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Elmnt80 posted:

Come to florida, no safety inspections!

Come to PA if you want every questionable car off the road. My car got failed last year because an engine mount looked like it might be about to go, and because my right-rear drum had slight wetness inside the boot of the brake cylinder.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

xergm posted:

Until we change the mentality on how we travel, I just can't see taking cars off the road, either through inspections, enforcement, etc. actually working effectively until you can say "oh that sucks, but there's still the train/bus/metro" when your car is deemed unsafe.

I just watched an interesting video about that and car culture in the US. It focuses on what it calls the "stroad".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jFnOnjzrk

They make a fairly convincing argument. Unfortunately it appears to be a difficult and expensive problem to fix at this point. I mean, we're 60 years into suburban sprawl and it's entirely criss-crossed with stroads.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've actually been thinking about buying an acre of desert in Arizona to register my crap wagons at.

xergm posted:

Unfortunately, my ideal vision falls apart rather quickly in the real world. Cops look for tint, DUIs, and speed. I bet if they'd actually start handing out tickets with the "Vehicle Unsafe for Travel" box you'd see a lot less too. I think the real overarching issue is the lack of public transit, and the mentality this has giving us over the last 100 years since we first began driving. Everyone needs a car. Old, new, rusted, clean, it's just impossible to get around in the US without one in most cities. Until we change the mentality on how we travel, I just can't see taking cars off the road, either through inspections, enforcement, etc. actually working effectively until you can say "oh that sucks, but there's still the train/bus/metro" when your car is deemed unsafe.

They also look for loud and/or ugly cars, ask me how I know. Mostly they leave you alone unless they think you might be drunk, though. (basically anyone on the road after 10pm on weekends, apparently drunk driving rates are horrifying during those hours.)

As for "vehicle unsafe for travel" the problem is, that gives them the ability to penalize you for things they don't know about. I got pulled over for an inspection sticker a few years ago and the cop insisted my balljoints and wheel bearings were either bad or would be soon because of my oversize tires and lift. I had just replaced all of them, but he refused to look at the new shiny parts because it disagreed with his view of the world. If he had a way to ticket me for an "unsafe" vehicle, that probably would have gotten me one.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Do people who fail the inspections really stop driving, or do they just drive illegally anyway?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Yeah, there really is no easy solution because you just come full-circle with people not knowing anything about their cars, including cops, but things like pulling someone over for driving with a donut on the freeway should be a no-brainer. In fact, they need to add "No spare tires" on those white signs at ever interstate entrants telling you what not to drive on the interstate.

Then again, I've seen a tractor driving <20 mph on the interstate before, so those signs probably aren't taken too seriously.

^^^^^^^

They'll keep driving, but I guess they run the risk of being pulled over for out-of-date registration.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

nsaP posted:

Do people who fail the inspections really stop driving, or do they just drive illegally anyway?
A and B, and also C which is buying the sticker from a shady individual.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xergm posted:

Unfortunately, my ideal vision falls apart rather quickly in the real world. Cops look for tint, DUIs, and speed. I bet if they'd actually start handing out tickets with the "Vehicle Unsafe for Travel" box you'd see a lot less too.

A lot of cop traffic cars have in-car automatic numberplate recognition.

Which is tied into the Ministry of Transport database, which includes your test status.

So, if the camera sees your plate and the test is expired, an alarm goes and they can stop you and fine you for no valid test cert (withut even having to inspect the car)

And as an added bonus - no valid test and your insurance is automatically invalidated. So they seize your car and you get 6 points on your license.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

nsaP posted:

Depends. My commute has a stretch of road that's basically the artery for the whole region, and it's so overloaded that it takes 45 minutes to go 9 miles literally every day. At the end of every month cops camp all the entrance ramps so they can pull people out of the single file line onto the conveniently wide shoulder (while also ticketing fuckers who try to drive in the shoulder). If your stickers aren't up to date you WILL get caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I don't know how common they are here, but I know they have some plate readers in Kansas City. They came up a few months ago when they were looking for the guy responsible for a string of shootings along the interstates. It's pretty much the same thing, except I'm not sure what the penalty is for the driver here, but I assume they usually won't let you drive off unless the registration only expired very recently.