Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Funk
Mar 27, 2010
I'm looking for an inexpensive Android tablet. I want a 9-10 inch screen and want to spend around 200 bucks, 250 max. I'd probably rather buy a previous generation tablet rather than a current, terrible Chinese knock-off or something. In terms of the specs, I'd like something that's roughly as powerful as my Note 2, or better. A semi-modern dual or quad core SoC, 1 or 2 gigs of ram, 32 gigs of memory preferred. I'd also like it to either run 4.4.2., or have an active root n' mod scene so I can slap an up-to-date AOSP build on it. Beyond the screen size, physical dimensions don't really matter and I don't care about plastic v. metal or aesthetics.

Is this do-able, maybe?

Just as an idea, my wife recently broke our Nook HD+ that I'd rooted and put a full iteration of Android on, I'd like to improve a little bit on what we had.

Edit: I'm also cool buying used or refurbished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Check Groupon for refurbs or last gen brand names. Check the specs/model number and see if you think you'll be happy. I was.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Refurbished LG gpad 8.3 on woot for $200. Today only, so order while the garbage is hot.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RVProfootballer posted:

Refurbished LG gpad 8.3 on woot for $200. Today only, so order while the garbage is hot.

Is that one 4:3? It looks like it in the pictures.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is that one 4:3? It looks like it in the pictures.

It kinda does look like it, but nah, 1920x1200. Also apparently you can't flash the GPE ROM onto the LG version for some reason. If you could, it wouldn't be the worst buy, honestly. Just a Nexus 8.3 more or less, for $200.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

My mom is still using a Palm Touchpad that's running Android. I would like to bring her into more modern times and upgrade her tablet. She mostly uses her Touchpad for Mystery Manor (:suicide:) but also for surfing and reading e-books. It would be nice for her to get something that would be conducive to Skype video chat and able to stream shows from the major networks.

I would like to keep her on Android (I think the e-book app her library uses is Android only) but I'd also consider the Dell Venue Pro 8 as I love mine and it would also allow her to retire her old Acer Netbook. On the other hand, I could give her my DVP8 and I could upgrade myself to something else. :v:

I think anything out there would be an huge improvement over her Touchpad, but is there anything specific I should be looking at?

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 5, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Nexus 7.

If she need something bigger uhhhhh I guess Samsung's whatevers are not completely horrible?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

JayKay posted:

My mom is still using a Palm Touchpad that's running Android. I would like to bring her into more modern times and upgrade her tablet. She mostly uses her Touchpad for Mystery Manor (:suicide:) but also for surfing and reading e-books. It would be nice for her to get something that would be conducive to Skype video chat and able to stream shows from the major networks.

I would like to keep her on Android (I think the e-book app her library uses is Android only) but I'd also consider the Dell Venue Pro 8 as I love mine and it would also allow her to retire her old Acer Netbook. On the other hand, I could give her my DVP8 and I could upgrade myself to something else. :v:

I think anything out there would be an huge improvement over her Touchpad, but is there anything specific I should be looking at?

I would suggest against a W8.1 tablet. There are way fewer apps, the DV8P is lower resolution than all the other mainstream tablets, and if you don't need the Windows-specific functionality (doesn't sound like she does, if her netbook still works), then I'd go with pretty much anything else. The Tab Pro series is a bit expensive but I suspect she might prefer 10" to 7".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Any thoughts on this Acer W3-810-1600 Iconia 8.1" Tablet on Woot for $150 today? Reviews seem pretty decent on Amazon.

I've always had an Android tablet but my company is developing on Windows 8 tablets now so I kinda want to get more familiar with it, seems like $150 is a decent price point.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Medullah posted:

Any thoughts on this Acer W3-810-1600 Iconia 8.1" Tablet on Woot for $150 today? Reviews seem pretty decent on Amazon.

I've always had an Android tablet but my company is developing on Windows 8 tablets now so I kinda want to get more familiar with it, seems like $150 is a decent price point.

You'd be better off paying a little bit more for a used Dell Venue 8 Pro.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Medullah posted:

Trust me, save the extra $30-50 and get a DV8P. The W3 has a slower processor but more importantly a horrid screen. Here are a couple of reviews that go into the W3's shortcomings. Maybe you can deal with them (probably not, whites don't actually look white on the W3, they look rainbow-colored and it's incredibly distracting), but why would you if you could get a much better tablet for $50 more at the most?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Newegg is having a sale on a bunch of Lenovo items, 40% off.

So I'm thinking of getting this Lenovo S5000 7" Android 4.2 Tablet for $120. Does that sound like a dumb idea? The Amazon reviews for it are good.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ema Nymton posted:

Newegg is having a sale on a bunch of Lenovo items, 40% off.

So I'm thinking of getting this Lenovo S5000 7" Android 4.2 Tablet for $120. Does that sound like a dumb idea? The Amazon reviews for it are good.

There's no reason to get that when the 2013 Nexus 7 is ~$50 more, frequently on eBay or other places. Even the 2012 Nexus 7 would be better and likely cheaper, though the 2013 version is easily worth the money.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm on the fence when thinking about getting a tablet vs an e-ink device. I'm wavering between getting a Paperwhite or spending 50% more and getting a Nexus 7. I'd mainly be using the thing for reading which makes me think the Kindle Paperwhite would be the better option, but on the other hand an actual tablet can do so much more that I would maybe find useful in the future, like when I go off to university later this year. I'm afraid whichever decision I make I'll end up regretting when I either get the Kindle and realise I could have used the Nexus for so much more, or get the Nexus and realise I never use anything but the reading apps and wasted that extra £50.

Anyone else grappled with this dilemma? What was your conclusion?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I find reading on a small tablet or my phone to be no less comfortable than reading on a Nook Glowlight. Given that I have books on several platforms (Kindle, Google Play, and Nook), a dedicated ereader was worse in that respect too. I still keep my Nook for beach days, but I spend virtually all of my reading time on my phone. I know others think an e-ink screen is way better than a tablet, though, so no one can tell you what your preference will be.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

I'm on the fence when thinking about getting a tablet vs an e-ink device. I'm wavering between getting a Paperwhite or spending 50% more and getting a Nexus 7. I'd mainly be using the thing for reading which makes me think the Kindle Paperwhite would be the better option, but on the other hand an actual tablet can do so much more that I would maybe find useful in the future, like when I go off to university later this year. I'm afraid whichever decision I make I'll end up regretting when I either get the Kindle and realise I could have used the Nexus for so much more, or get the Nexus and realise I never use anything but the reading apps and wasted that extra £50.

Honestly, i always recommend getting both. I don't like reading books on a tablet, its just much much better for the eyes on E-Ink. But obviously all the Kindle will do is well is books. Its a bit more, but its basically two different devices. See if you can find a sale or promo for each to cut down on the price.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Pierson posted:

I got a nexus 7 and use it every day.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought this 10 inch quad core tablet for $100 and I still have about 10 days to take it back. I'm going to be using it for emulating and playing games when it gets slow at work. I work as a security guard outdoors.

I'm not worried about weight but i need a long battery life.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-8-Tablet-8GB-Memory-Quad-Core/34557744

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

I bought this 10 inch quad core tablet for $100 and I still have about 10 days to take it back. I'm going to be using it for emulating and playing games when it gets slow at work. I work as a security guard outdoors.

I'm not worried about weight but i need a long battery life.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-8-Tablet-8GB-Memory-Quad-Core/34557744
What's the question? "How big of a mistake did I make?"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What's the question? "How big of a mistake did I make?"

Well... yeah. I can still return it for something better.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
You hosed up:

"The Nextbook 8 sports a 7.85-inch screen with a 1024x768 pixel resolution. Although larger, the 10.1-inch display of the Nextbook 10 only has a resoluton of 1024x600 pixels."

Although you linked an 8" version, you said you got the 10". I also couldn't even find consistent info, so I'm not even sure the 10" exists? Either way, spend $150-170 for a used/refurbished 2013 Nexus 7.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 12, 2014

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Yeah, there really isn't any use to bargain-binning tablets when the N7 is so cheap (alternatively, the Tegra Note 7--worse resolution than the N7, but probably better emulation performance). If it takes an appreciable amount of time to save an extra $50-75 you should probably just get a used PSP anyway. Though if you're willing to spend a bit extra the Nvidia Shield might be good for you, too.

waffle fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 12, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, I returned it and got my $100 back, go with the Nexus 7?

Also, what's the difference between the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 7 Tegra 3

E: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...02552706&sr=1-8 Is this a good buy?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 12, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are only two nexus 7's, the 2012 and the 2013 models.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Turtlicious posted:

Here's the specs for the Tegra model (2012)
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb

And here's the Snapdragon model (2013)
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb_2013

The 2013 model is thinner, lighter, has better battery life, a much better screen, wireless charging, better performance and should be supported for another year.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Go for the 2013 model, without the Tegra 3, for all the reasons Doctor rear end in a top hat mentioned. If you for whatever reason can't go above the $100ish price, you can get a working but probably beat up Best Buy floor demo of the 2013 version from cowboom.com for $109, or if you're not in a rush you can check it every so often to see when they get better condition ones in. I'd really recommend paying the $150-170 for a used good condition one from Amazon or eBay or wherever, but it's an option at least.

purple prime
Aug 4, 2005
Is there a tablet that would be best suited for a Hearthstone and anime machine? I was thinking iPad but that can't use a external hard drive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

purple prime posted:

Is there a tablet that would be best suited for a Hearthstone and anime machine? I was thinking iPad but that can't use a external hard drive.
Well, Hearthstone isn't on Android yet, so right now your choices are an iPad or a Windows 8 tablet, though the touch controls are pretty janky on Win8 (since it doesn't have actual touch controls and just emulates a mouse) from what I read.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Hope you didn't buy anything yet, here you can get a new 16GB 2013 Nexus 7 for $150 from Staples, using coupon code 97275.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

purple prime posted:

There are a couple of options for ipad external hard drives:

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/wireless-plus/

http://www.macworld.com/article/1153935/hyperdrive.html

Also I think you can use any powered external hard drive via the Camera Connection Kit if you jailbreak.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RVProfootballer posted:

Hope you didn't buy anything yet, here you can get a new 16GB 2013 Nexus 7 for $150 from Staples, using coupon code 97275.

Ooh neat, I went and bought this.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm looking for a larger size (at least 9") Android tablet and budget isn't really a consideration. My main laptop died recently and I'm looking for something a bit more portable for general web browsing, videos, and games that won't need to be replaced in a year or two. Is the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S that was released today the best option, or is there some other tablet I should consider instead?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Konstantin posted:

I'm looking for a larger size (at least 9") Android tablet and budget isn't really a consideration. My main laptop died recently and I'm looking for something a bit more portable for general web browsing, videos, and games that won't need to be replaced in a year or two. Is the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S that was released today the best option, or is there some other tablet I should consider instead?

I attended the event earlier, and I have to admit, both versions of the Tab S were impressive. Of course, I'd wait for the reviews before committing to one.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Walmart.com has the 32GB Nexus 7 (2013) tablet for $199 with free shipping.

Out of stock now. But keep an eye on it. It was out of stock early this morning, so there might be more.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 14, 2014

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I am looking for a tablet for my father. He has been a newspaperman all his life and has recently become interested in digital distribution of newspapers from around the world.

What I am looking for is an easy to use device that is good for newspapers and PDF but also some light internet use as well as email capabilities. My father does not use a smartphone but would like to be able to check his email with ease without booting up one of the desktops just to see if he has a new message.

I was considering a Kindle Fire but I am not sure how well those handle newspapers. Any suggestions?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mistressminako posted:

I am looking for a tablet for my father. He has been a newspaperman all his life and has recently become interested in digital distribution of newspapers from around the world.

What I am looking for is an easy to use device that is good for newspapers and PDF but also some light internet use as well as email capabilities. My father does not use a smartphone but would like to be able to check his email with ease without booting up one of the desktops just to see if he has a new message.

I was considering a Kindle Fire but I am not sure how well those handle newspapers. Any suggestions?

Since a larger tablet would be better than a 7" or 8" one for larger content, why not an iPad Air? I'd caution against an Amazon tablet, as they are often more limited in their app selection and content than a general Android tablet and especially an iPad.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Actually, the Amazon app store is slowly but surely improving. It's still light years behind having straight-up Google Play access, but the selection's getting better and you can always sideload anything they don't have.

Where the Fire sucks is access to official Google apps. If I want to watch Youtube, I can either bring up the Silk browser and log into my account and watch videos off the mobile site in SD, or I can launch the sideloaded Youtube app and watch them in HD but not be able to log in. I've yet to diddle around with Gmail, but I assume the option's similarly limited.

Fire's great for reading. The magazines and newspapers they sell through the Kindle store are formatted specifically for reading on the Kindle, and it's really easy to page through, select stories, highlight, expand, whatever. Haven't tried out PDFs, but I assume they're decent given the rest of the reading experience.

Plus the customer service and free poo poo/discount firehose they turn on you with the Fire is pretty nice. :)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, I'm kind of in the market for a new tablet. I'll be using it mostly for web browsing, SA, and reading comics. I'd go with an iPad Air, but I kinda like the idea of being able to expand my storage capability, although it's not a deal breaker. Other things I'm looking at are the Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Samsung Galaxy Note 10 or 12, and the Microsoft Surface Pro. I'm fairly familiar with iPads, but don't really know much about any other tablets. As of right now, I'm not set on a particular operating system, but I do have a good deal of experience with Android and iOS. Since I'd like to be able to install and read my comics, I'd like a larger screen, so probably nothing smaller than 10 inches. Anyone have any experience with the tablets I've mentioned, or have any other ideas to look at?

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag
My girlfriends wanting to get a tablet and doesn't really know anything about anything techy and has asked me my thoughts. I don't really know anything about them either, but if she gets one I want to be able to take it to the gym to watch tv/movies that I definitely didn't illegally download (but say that I had) and is still functional for her to take work notes, surf the web, etc. What am I looking for? We haven't discussed price range so I'd be interested to know the options at different price points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
MXPlayer on android can play anything you throw at it, and on nearly anything better than a cheap 100 dollar Chinese tablet. Even could play 1080p videos on my GSII