Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

What if the racial humor directed at the Japanese is part of the Chinese-mandated propaganda element? :tinfoil:

It wasn't anything the Chinese would notice. It didn't make him look bad or anything, it was just shockingly stereotypical to a culturally sensitive American.

Kaytwo posted:

Is Galvatron the humans' bitch the entire movie? You may use spoiler tags in your answer!

Eh... define bitch. Pretty much as soon as he shows up, he has some degree of personal agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Bloodnose posted:

Eh... define bitch. Pretty much as soon as he shows up, he has some degree of personal agency.

Does Frank Welker use either of G1 Megatron or Galvatron's voices? This is important.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm not a big Transformers nerd. I didn't even recognize Frank Welker until the credits and then I thought "oh hey it was Nibbler." So I couldn't tell you.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Bloodnose posted:

Is he always taking orders from the human villains the entire movie or does he eventually think/do things on his own, betray them, etc.?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kaytwo posted:

Is he always taking orders from the human villains the entire movie or does he eventually think/do things on his own, betray them, etc.?

He very quickly thinks/does things on his own, betrays them, etc.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Bloodnose posted:

I'm not a big Transformers nerd. I didn't even recognize Frank Welker until the credits and then I thought "oh hey it was Nibbler." So I couldn't tell you.

I am now picturing Galvatron speaking in nothing but Nibbler's grunts and snorts. I don't think I want to shatter this illusion by watching the film now.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

I am now picturing Galvatron speaking in nothing but Nibbler's grunts and snorts. I don't think I want to shatter this illusion by watching the film now.

He must be controling them with some sort of hypercuteness. Well, two can play at that game, and one of them is me.

-Lord Ni--Galivtron

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
In anticipation of the fourth film, I just finished watching the first three. Revenge of the Fallen is still hilariously bad, but it's interesting to see how - in Dark of the Moon, during the climax - Sam and Dylan are wearing basically the exact same outfit. That, and Sam's descent from nice but awkward high school kid to murderer and weird psycho is fairly distressing.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure I ever saw Revenge of the Fallen. One of the producers asked me if I had seen the other three Transformers movies at the premiere and I'm sure I saw the first one, and I remember Chicago blowing up, but I don't remember any events from the second. I'm not sure if that's because I didn't see it or because it was completely forgettable.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Bloodnose posted:

I'm not sure I ever saw Revenge of the Fallen. One of the producers asked me if I had seen the other three Transformers movies at the premiere and I'm sure I saw the first one, and I remember Chicago blowing up, but I don't remember any events from the second. I'm not sure if that's because I didn't see it or because it was completely forgettable.

How could you forget if you ever saw Megan Fox showing off her rear end on that motorcycle or not?

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008
If you don't mind, does Galvatron end up being the big villain in the movie, or is it really Lockdown all the way through with Galvatron playing a pretty minor part? Also, where do the Dinobots come from, and do they ever hint at who Lockdown's employers are?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

CJSwiss posted:

If you don't mind, does Galvatron end up being the big villain in the movie, or is it really Lockdown all the way through with Galvatron playing a pretty minor part? Also, where do the Dinobots come from, and do they ever hint at who Lockdown's employers are?

the real villains of the story are the "Creators" who we never see or know anything about other than the fact that they created the Transformers. As far as I can tell, that's who Lockdown is working for, and he's the real villain most of the way through. Galvatron is sort of his unwitting tool, not under his direct control, but still serving his ends. The dinobots come from a magical, empty valley that is apparently on the south side of Hong Kong Island. They took some pretty massive creative liberties with the geography of Hong Kong.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

the real villains of the story are the "Creators" who we never see or know anything about other than the fact that they created the Transformers. As far as I can tell, that's who Lockdown is working for, and he's the real villain most of the way through. Galvatron is sort of his unwitting tool, not under his direct control, but still serving his ends. The dinobots come from a magical, empty valley that is apparently on the south side of Hong Kong Island. They took some pretty massive creative liberties with the geography of Hong Kong.

I guess that points towards the Quintessons in movie 5 after all then. Were the Dinobots on Lockdown's ship initially? I read another guy on a TF fansite saying that they're freed when Prime is broken out of confinement.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Bloodnose posted:

They took some pretty massive creative liberties with the geography of Hong Kong.

Can't be any worse than in ROTF when they came out the back of the Smithsonian and into a loving desert

E: And drove from the Hoover Dam to LA in about 20 minutes in the first one

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

snortpocket posted:

Can't be any worse than in ROTF when they came out the back of the Smithsonian and into a loving desert

E: And drove from the Hoover Dam to LA in about 20 minutes in the first one

Also in RotF how Petra is apparently a few miles away from the pyramids.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Or how Megan Fox drives to the airport, goes through security, gets on the plane, flies to wherever Sam's college is, gets off the plane and drives there in all the time it takes him to literally walk from his classroom to his dorm room. That's probably the most egregious.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Revenge Of The Fallen owns.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Dark of the Moon is brilliant but Revenge of the Fallen, in spite of the neat ideas and poo poo, suffers from being the middle-ground between "Make a Buck" Bay and "Mark Twain With Explosions Satirist" Bay. Moon really works because he's fully committed to his cynicism, which he's only half-so in Fallen. Or maybe not half, but he certainly pulls it off with less grace.

it's still easier to follow visually than the first one, which at this point looks more like a Proof of Concept compared to the Woman In the (Dark of) The Moon.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Revenge of the Fallen could be really neat if the script was way tighter and more attention was paid to continuity. I don't want to go full on nerd fanfic wishfulfillment on the thread but, like, some simple things like 'make Mikaela's red motorcycle the red motorcycle Autobot', 'no Robo-Satan or mystical nonsense' and 'have a reason for why the cube shouldn't have been plugged into Megatron's chest' just seem so obvious.

It's a really ballsy story. It strikes me like what you'd get on your desk and you'd read through it and go 'Okay, tone a few things down, change this to that' and you'd get something leaps and bounds better.

It's also interesting that Optimus' story about the Primes seems like it'll be contradicted by Lockdown in the forthcoming film, given all this stuff about these Creators and his line from one of the trailers. That or poo poo's going to get real convoluted.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Revenge of the Fallen is amazing for 2 reasons and 2 reasons alone.

1. All script work was done in 2 weeks due to the writer strike. This was done by Bay essentially kidnapping everyone while also going and renting all the locations he wanted to use then went "we have these locations and sets available, make a movie". The movie ended up making over $800 million.

2. The movie still holds (I think) the record for the biggest explosion with actors nearby. This single explosion took close to a year to plan making that one scene take a longer time out of production than everything else outside of rendering the movie.

I love the movie but sure as gently caress won't defend it. The fact it even has something resembling a story is a miracle.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

CJSwiss posted:

I guess that points towards the Quintessons in movie 5 after all then. Were the Dinobots on Lockdown's ship initially?

Yes, but I forgot that's where the dinobots came from until you said it because they separate/steal part of Lockdown's ship and crash it in this mystical Chinese valley that is sure as gently caress nowhere near real Hong Kong.

And yeah when I pointed out some of the flaws with Hong Kong geography to one of the producers, he laughed and brought up the drive from LA to Hoover Dam.

Now I'm totally sure I haven't seen Transformers 2. I don't remember any of the crap you guys are talking about.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bloodnose, are the Dinobots given personalities (or even dialogue)? Or are they pretty much just rampaging metal beasts?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
The latter.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Do the Dinobots ever assume robot forms? I wouldn't be surprised if Grimlock did, but the others?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah all of them appear in robot form.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bloodnose posted:

And yeah when I pointed out some of the flaws with Hong Kong geography to one of the producers, he laughed and brought up the drive from LA to Hoover Dam.
Excuse me, but I think you'll find it wasn't LA but "Mission City", which even though it looked exactly like LA and contained numerous LA landmarks was an entirely different place because

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Payndz posted:

Excuse me, but I think you'll find it wasn't LA but "Mission City", which even though it looked exactly like LA and contained numerous LA landmarks was an entirely different place because

By ROTF even they gave up the whole mission city business and started referring to it as LA.

Then of course there was all the "cover up" bullshit, as though giant robots laying waste to Los Angeles for an entire afternoon wouldn't be documented in any reliable way

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

snortpocket posted:

By ROTF even they gave up the whole mission city business and started referring to it as LA.

Then of course there was all the "cover up" bullshit, as though giant robots laying waste to Los Angeles for an entire afternoon wouldn't be documented in any reliable way

It doesn't take much to do a proper cover up

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

snortpocket posted:

I thought the one guy that was an SR-71 teleported them to Egypt.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

computer parts posted:

I thought the one guy that was an SR-71 teleported them to Egypt.

That was after they entered the space-time portal that leads from the Udvar-Hazy Aerospace Museum in Virginia to some boneyard in presumably Arizona or New Mexico or something.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

3 posted:

That was after they entered the space-time portal that leads from the Udvar-Hazy Aerospace Museum in Virginia to some boneyard in presumably Arizona or New Mexico or something.

Like Michael Bay expects his fans to go to museums much less know what they look like.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bloodnose posted:

The latter.
Do any of the Dinobots even talk at all?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
No. Did they in other media?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Hey Bloodnose, are there any other named Decepticons in the movie other than Galvatron, Lockdown, and Stinger(the red one), or are the rest just nameless generic bad guys like they have been in previous movies?

Thanks for answering all these questions, btw.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

No. Did they in other media?

They were Hulk-like in the G1 cartoon. "Me Grimlock crush Decepticons!" and all that. In the comics, they were intelligent soldiers. Various other versions after vary in portrayal.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

LightsGameraAction posted:

Hey Bloodnose, are there any other named Decepticons in the movie other than Galvatron, Lockdown, and Stinger(the red one), or are the rest just nameless generic bad guys like they have been in previous movies?
Uhhhhhh......... I honestly don't remember. If there were any other Decepticons, they were that forgettable. The Decepticons in this movie are relatively marginal to the plot. They're tools of Lockdown and presumably the Creators. In the beginning, they are literally the tools of Stanley Tucci. I don't recall them ever identifying themselves as Decepticons either.

LightsGameraAction posted:

Thanks for answering all these questions, btw.

I'm posting all the spoilers because Michael Bay stole my elevator on Thursday and made me late to a meeting.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The MSJ posted:

They were Hulk-like in the G1 cartoon. "Me Grimlock crush Decepticons!" and all that. In the comics, they were intelligent soldiers. Various other versions after vary in portrayal.

Same for the recent Cybertron games. Well I think Grimlock was the idiot and the rest were intelligent.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Okay, so, I saw this film at a midnight showing when the forums were down. No spoilers.

Simply put, this film is the best of the four and sets up a really interesting new trilogy. The film begins incredibly well and everything is generally better than the previous instalments - the action is better with less shakycam and the characterisation of everyone (inc. the Autobots) is much better - it's almost like Bay is comfortable enough with the CGI to have longer shots and close-ups of the robots. The score is fantastic and I wish it was out already. There's far less cringe-worthy racism or sexism. The plot and pacing is generally good and gets to the main act much sooner than the previous (no Sam job hunting or college stuff, for example). It draws on a fair bit of Transformers mythology - such as Sparks, in particular - without being wordy exposition. The film maintains its strength during the middle too. There are some really, really effective scenes (two of which, in particular, feature Ratchet - and I'd say the first of those is one of the best throughout all the films so far).

However, the last twenty-thirty minutes are incredibly busy. There's way too much going on. Part of this is because this film has obviously been written as part of a trilogy, so, there's stuff that is just there to be established and referenced later which makes them feel extraneous. I don't personally like that approach to films but whatever. The Dinobots feel like they were included at the behest of someone from Hasbro - I don't particularly like the Dinobots so I don't really care but, well, the film didn't need them. When we think of the previous films, there's usually two different threads and it culminates in a really well orchestrated climax of robot violence that leaves you going - for better or worse - 'wow'. AoE felt a bit... lacklustre in that respect, although I did like the showdown with Lockdown. There's just way too much else happening.

It's surprisingly good and with a strange amount of heart for a Bay film. It kind of feels like it only took them four films to start getting it all 'right'.

I felt Lockdown was great in pretty much every scene he appeared in, although I preferred his more modulated voice from one of the trailers. He comes off as this haughty, sure-of-himself bounty hunter - and has the skill and knowledge to back it up. He might just be the best antagonist the series has had. Galvatron was underutilised and one of my biggest criticisms of the film is how he all but vanishes during the final act. I'm not a fan of the new transformations of the human-built robots. I also like how the film continues to mesh perfectly with the themes and ideas established by Terry's reading - particularly the character of both Megatron and Optimus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

I also like how the film continues to mesh perfectly with the themes and ideas established by Terry's reading - particularly the character of both Megatron and Optimus.

I already have my ticket for tomorrow night and I'm excited as all hell but now I can't loving wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently I should see this in a theatre with Dolby Atmos sound system. The only alternative, 3D IMAX, isn't available anywhere near me (there's one IMAX screen in my entire country).