Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sockington posted:

A lot of readily available sets leave the low B at about .060 for thickness (had GHS Boomers, and some other set for the couple months I tried a 7string). When dropped down to a low A, it was floppy as all hell.

Yeah with a regular Fender scale guitar somewhere around .66-.70 is the sweet spot for the low B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Kalium Strings make lots of interesting seven string and other odd gauge sets. They make some with super thick low Bs, but the largest may be so big that your hardware won't handle them. They also offer balanced tension in pretty much everything.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I know some people bash it but if you've been wanting to check out Rocksmith Steam has it for $15 for the next 5 hours or so.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

A Winner is Jew posted:

I know some people bash it but if you've been wanting to check out Rocksmith Steam has it for $15 for the next 5 hours or so.

Newegg is selling it for 14.99 and you can take another 10% off with the promo code: EMCPDW47

I bought it last night, It's gotten a lot better than the first version.

Neither come with a cable though, I happened to have one already, but you will need to buy one from Amazon or wherever to play it on Steam.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

That doesn't have a cable.

efb

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Bash it? Why, it is an excellent practice tool.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Can I play songs from the original? I only own the 2014 version but I like the DLC from old one better.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

unlawfulsoup posted:

Bash it? Why, it is an excellent practice tool.

I used to bash the old one because there was lots of audio lag and it refused to recognize some notes unless I used a guitar with very high-output pickups. No such problems with the 2014 edition though, which I bought today and am thoroughly enjoying.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
anybody here gently caress around with gfs dream 90/180 pickups? thinking about picking up a pair for my 72 aria sg I posted earlier.

kinda wanna have my jm have hb and my sg have sc :getin:

revolther
May 27, 2008
That's an interesting note about the game picking up high output pickups.

I mess around with setups, try to keep the cheap stuff plugged in so kids can whack at learning guitar with no mess. I keep a 15 dollar yardsale strat plugged inthat I would prefer be used, but the note prediction and tuning is just flaky and unreliable, despite the guitar being perfectly gig'able straight to an amp. System barely picks up my Dean Markley acoustic pickup as well. On the other-hand my D-45 clone Acoustic Electric w/old Fishman electronics, totally fills the cable with signal, tunes at bare minimum volumes and performs beautifully for note detection.

Nephews Epi Jr. actually performs like poo poo for Rocksmith which was surprising as something similar is bundled with the game right?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

DannyTanner posted:

Can I play songs from the original? I only own the 2014 version but I like the DLC from old one better.

If you have the first one on the same platform, all DLC automatically converts. To get the on-disc songs from the first one, you have to buy a $10 transfer DLC in addition to owning it (on steam) or providing the disc (360/PS3)

Edit:

revolther posted:

That's an interesting note about the game picking up high output pickups.

I mess around with setups, try to keep the cheap stuff plugged in so kids can whack at learning guitar with no mess. I keep a 15 dollar yardsale strat plugged inthat I would prefer be used, but the note prediction and tuning is just flaky and unreliable, despite the guitar being perfectly gig'able straight to an amp. System barely picks up my Dean Markley acoustic pickup as well. On the other-hand my D-45 clone Acoustic Electric w/old Fishman electronics, totally fills the cable with signal, tunes at bare minimum volumes and performs beautifully for note detection.

Nephews Epi Jr. actually performs like poo poo for Rocksmith which was surprising as something similar is bundled with the game right?

In my experience the game has an issue with note detection on single coils due to the 60hz hum. Since Humbuckers get rid of it they can be detected much better by the game.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 22, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Smash it Smash hit posted:

anybody here gently caress around with gfs dream 90/180 pickups? thinking about picking up a pair for my 72 aria sg I posted earlier.

I had a dream 90 in my Epi LP jr, and it was a good pickup; unfortunately the guitar was kinda not good so I never really bonded with it.

It would work well though, it has the right mix of bite and balls (which I can't get enough of in humbuckers and single coils respectively) and in an SG it will probably give you all of the sounds you need in almost every genre (the only exceptions I can literally think of is any forms Metal harder than early Sabbath)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

On the topic of pickups, I just can't stop ducking with my PRS. I've replaced the nut (got that to sit square finally), threw on 406g locking tuners, and a set of strap locks even though the buttons are pretty large.

I'm a little unsatisfied with the pickups. The HFS especially is brighter than I anticipated, it just doesn't fit with what I play, mostly hard rock and metal. I was considering the SH6 and TB6 to warm and fatten it out a bit. Anyone have any experience with these

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
How much is the USB thing for that Rocksmith game?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I don't with those pickups, but I thought they were a little dull and muddy, I replaced em with burstbucker pros and was pretty happy in my CU24.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm a little unsatisfied with the pickups. The HFS especially is brighter than I anticipated, it just doesn't fit with what I play, mostly hard rock and metal. I was considering the SH6 and TB6 to warm and fatten it out a bit. Anyone have any experience with these

I have a distortion/jazz combo in a strat. Could do a lot worse if you're going for the standard metal tone.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

iostream.h posted:

I don't with those pickups, but I thought they were a little dull and muddy, I replaced em with burstbucker pros and was pretty happy in my CU24.

which post is this pertaining to? still feeling out for the dream 180s

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I had a semi hollow Schecter that I replaced the stock humbuckers with dream 90s. They sounded great.

I bet they would sound good in an SG.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Anyone recommend a good budget soldering station? Was looking at the 40 dollar Weller wlc100 on Amazon, don't want to go any higher than that. What kind of wattage am I going to need for basic pickups and pots and maybe some pcb boards in the future?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

They seem to go for about $30 new, maybe less on eBay?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

which post is this pertaining to? still feeling out for the dream 180s
Sorry, it's the PRS pickups post, in between sets and not horribly clear sorry about that.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Dirt posted:

I had a semi hollow Schecter that I replaced the stock humbuckers with dream 90s. They sounded great.

I bet they would sound good in an SG.

Everything about an SG is good.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 22, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The first time I heard about my favorite pickups (bkp nailbombs) was on the old mxtabs/sputnik music forum because a guy named minty put them in his sg. sg is good

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Wanna chuck an input cap blend/bass lift in this old solid state combo I have - this would just go between the input jack and all the existing electronics. I won't be modifying the existing electronics except maybe the pots. Is unplugging the amp a day in advance safe enough with a solid state amp or do you still need to discharge some stuff?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Everything about an SG is good.

I hate how perfect SGs are for me. I like to play a variety of instruments for different feels and sounds but the SG always pulls me back. There's just something about 'em. I need to take some good pictures of my 80s firebrand that looks like it's been through a couple good battles. It was my first :3:

I've been trying to build up my brent hinds ripoff/bluegrass/banjo lick collection and I'd like to hear if any of you have book or website lesson suggestions. My problem is that I hardly know what I'm looking for. More bluegrass than country, more rockabilly than blues. Spazzy hillbilly shred poo poo? Help me achieve my dreams yo.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

The SG Original is my favorite of the bunch.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Loved the neck Dream 90 in my old PRS Agile. Wasn't really impressed with the bridge Dream 180 running next to it but I was comparing it to how much I loved the 90, and the (I think?) VEHs I put in my Les Paul.

I have no real basis for comparison to a regular P90 though.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I keep toying with the idea of getting a tele routed for humbuckers and put the Dream 90 in the neck and the VEH in the bridge. It seems like a great combo for what I want to do. However, I really feel like I need to get rid of one of my guitars first.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've been trying to build up my brent hinds ripoff/bluegrass/banjo lick collection and I'd like to hear if any of you have book or website lesson suggestions. My problem is that I hardly know what I'm looking for. More bluegrass than country, more rockabilly than blues. Spazzy hillbilly shred poo poo? Help me achieve my dreams yo.

It's just a bunch of Jerry Reed licks.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Zonekeeper posted:

In my experience the game has an issue with note detection on single coils due to the 60hz hum. Since Humbuckers get rid of it they can be detected much better by the game.

You know that makes sense. It didn't work with my Strat (which was my #1 at the time) but it did work with my Carvin. I gave up because I really wanted to use the Strat. Now the Strat is gone and I only own humbucker guitars and they all work fine.

Kilometers Davis posted:

You mean Brent Mason right? Because I don't know that I'd classify Brent Hinds as a bluegrass artist.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

TopherCStone posted:

You mean Brent Mason right? Because I don't know that I'd classify Brent Hinds as a bluegrass artist.

He has a rockabilly side project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50XEjgLyV8U

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

TopherCStone posted:

In addition to what Bort said, Hinds uses a ton of double picked stuff and banjo style rolls, especially on the Crack the Skye album.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Huh, I had no idea. That's pretty awesome!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

£/$30 new. straight currency swap with no conversion for UK/US. Aus and Canada may be a little higher or lower depending on tax. Better solution is to pickup a used xbox or ps3 copy for £8/$10 from a bargain bin as the cable is the same anyway.

The game does have some issues with single coil pups and some usb ports on PC's. Don't use a hub and if your rig has USB3.0 or a red coloured "always on charging port" use them before a front case port. Manufacturers tend to cheap out on the connections so dodgy voltage on positive rail can trip the game's DRM and it'll think it's an unbranded cable.

Reportedly it runs like liquid butter on a Surface Pro 2 and there's an iOS version in the works according to a tweet from E3 showing it being played on an iPad.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

In addition to what Bort said, Hinds uses a ton of double picked stuff and banjo style rolls, especially on the Crack the Skye album.

The first time I heard that one song on Blood Mountain where he does the little hillbilly lick before the breakdown I though oh poo poo are they gonna bust out The Claw?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

comes along bort posted:

The first time I heard that one song on Blood Mountain where he does the little hillbilly lick before the breakdown I though oh poo poo are they gonna bust out The Claw?

This happens a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRw43u-y9k&t=71s

I hope at some live show they actually made that a segue into an extended country jam

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that album owns so hard

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

comes along bort posted:

It's just a bunch of Jerry Reed licks.

Welllll now that you mention it, time to bust out the Tele and get to work

Declan MacManus posted:

TopherCStone posted:

Huh, I had no idea. That's pretty awesome!

Yeah it's some really cool stuff, it blew my mind back when he busted out some licks on Leviathan and Crack the Skye in particular is full of some crazy unique ideas. I understand why many dislike the newer songs because they're stripped down and not as proggy but every one of their albums have been goldmines of ideas. Usually it's hard for me to stick to learning songs but Mastodon songs are like a bar by bar learning experience that always inspires me to change things up and progress my own playing. loving fanboy tbh but hey we have to get inspired somehow!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Looking for a volume pedal and always heard that Ernie Ball is a safe and good choice. But there's so many of them, so which is the one to get?

http://www.ernieball.com/products/pedals/

No active stuff nowhere and I'm gonna use it with guitars only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

Welllll now that you mention it, time to bust out the Tele and get to work

More like a single cutaway nylon string. But yeah everyone should know a couple Jerry Reed tunes. Dude had a unique style.

Probably posted this before this is like a master class in hillbilly technique. Watch for Chet Atkins busting out some sweep arpeggios with a thumb pick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE