Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is rosalina top tier or something? Over half of the people in the rooms I played friday night were either rosalina or baby rosalina.

Also, I still haven't gotten a confirmation as to whether or not mii weight class works like it did in mkwii (affected by mii height)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is rosalina top tier or something? Over half of the people in the rooms I played friday night were either rosalina or baby rosalina.

Also, I still haven't gotten a confirmation as to whether or not mii weight class works like it did in mkwii (affected by mii height)

I like her because she's a heavy character who's a lady. Usually in Mario Kart, if you want to play a heavy character, you're stuck with the burly and spikey guys. With Rosalina, I get to go fast and look pretty.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think Wario looks pretty

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I thought I was unique for playing as Rosalina early into my MK8 career.

I may have to change... :(

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Everyone and their mother played Rosalina online in MK7, not surprised to see the tradition continue.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A Yolo Wizard posted:

She's a cruiser class that isn't a huge fat turtle or dude or waluigi so she gets picked alot.

I'm sure there's other reasons people pick her but yeah, she's slowly becoming obnoxious to me as every room I join slowly becomes filled with Rosalina's.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Yeah, Mii weight classes work the same as they did in MK Wii. Height is the primary factor, 'bulk' might have some minor weighting.

And as said earlier, Rosalina is one of two female heavyweights, and the other is a metal palette swap of the Mushroom Kingdom's designated victim. Considering the rest of the heavyweight class caters to pretty much the same design space, Rosalina kinda is the catch-all option for anyone who wants to a) Play a heavyweight and b) Not play some ugly spike-y burly thing.

The same thing kinda happens to a lesser extent with Lemmy in the Babyweight division, except nobody really plays babies for long because super-low weight is a really really bad thing to have in MK8. (Except for me. Baby Luigi still number one. ...until I just want to win, then it's Donkey time.)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 22, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I just play Rosalina because I like her design, but she is a pretty popular character to see online, yeah. I also just find it really funny that she just towers over characters like Mario and Peach.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Trying to learn the Yoshi bike with Mario for thematic purposes but bikes are hard as poo poo to pick up after playing karts for so long.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Crawfish posted:

Trying to learn the Yoshi bike with Mario for thematic purposes but bikes are hard as poo poo to pick up after playing karts for so long.

Well I know what I'm doing when I unlock the Yoshi bike.

Edit: Also, I really like using Bowser/DK/Wario with the Pipe Kart. It feels like the perfect balance between weight/acceleration/speed. Of course, part of that is just me being nostalgic about the Mario Kart 64 karts, but you know.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Kewpuh posted:

I am so loving awful at this game

Join the club, I finished not last for the first time with you guys but god drat I'm awful.

I've been using Bowswr with one of the motorbikes because it looks hilarios. That might be why I'm so terrible.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 22, 2014

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I know death stare is probably well overdone by now but my friend captured this yesterday.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I've always played the babies going back to Double Dash but man they just get hosed over online, especially on Rainbow Road, and I can't find a good character I can get used to. Any suggestions?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Louisgod posted:

I've always played the babies going back to Double Dash but man they just get hosed over online, especially on Rainbow Road, and I can't find a good character I can get used to. Any suggestions?

Toadette

Or bandwagon and go for Wario/Bowser/Morton.

(Seriously though, give Circuit Special/CyberSlick/Cloud glider a try with the babies, you'll do fine in most situations)

I see people who play Morton spam the easier courses in the game like Mario Circuit and finally hit me as to why- it's so they don't have to race smart and can just use the natural advantage of being fast to get away from everyone. I was in a match with 3 of them and all 3 would pick whatever course had no obstacles whatsoever. I managed 2nd every race but there's nothing I can do to a Morton who manages to put any distance between the group.

Edit: Also add me so we can race, few people added me but I hardly ever see people playing :)

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 22, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Crawfish posted:

The Yoshi Bike is a weird one in that it has inside drifting, or something like that. Basically, drifts on that and other sports bikes have really sharp turns, so they're a completely different beast compared to any other bike.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Presenting: The Future of MK8 staring Rosalina Rosalina Morton Morton Morton Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Toadette and special guest Lemmy

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yoshi on the Yoshi bike is the most morally shocking and disgusting thing I have seen in this game.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Crawfish posted:

Yoshi on the Yoshi bike is the most morally shocking and disgusting thing I have seen in this game.
Too bad Wiggler's not a playable character anymore, so you can't do Wiggler on the Wiggler bike to round it off with :colbert:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Can someone explain the different weight classes and the advantages/disadvantages of different weights? I had no idea there even was such a thing as a weight class :confused:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I was under the impression that character weight classes had been done away with in this version. :/

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Mr. Neutron posted:

Can someone explain the different weight classes and the advantages/disadvantages of different weights? I had no idea there even was such a thing as a weight class :confused:

Basically it's the balance between speed/weight and handling/acceleration. There's a little more to it but that's the basic balance.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr. Neutron posted:

There's 5.

Featherweights which are the babies and Lemmy, they have atrocious top speed but plus side is they turn on a dime and can get to max speed quickly.

Lightweights which are a tad faster then feather but not by too much. Still get bumped around by bigger guys a lot.

Middle weights (Mario/Luigi sized characters) who are a blend of both. Pretty fast and can speed up pretty easily- added bonus that they can knock around the lighter classes and recover a bit easier from heavies hitting them.

Heavy (Metal Mario/DK/Waluigi/Rosalina) are all really fast, but it takes them longer to get going and they have lovely handling most of the time- expect heavy weights to pick simple tracks to make use of top speed.

Super Heavy's which belong to Bowser, Morton, and Wario. These guys turn like poo poo, are slow as all hell at first but once they get to top speed nothing is going to touch them and they can just ram you around and throw everyone off the course by touching them. Racing against a good super heavy player is a nightmare because unless you keep them in check with items you won't be catching up to them easily.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Mr. Neutron posted:

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I was under the impression that character weight classes had been done away with in this version. :/

Just press '-' on the kart selection screen to see the stats. The different karts, wheels and gliders have different stats, and characters have different base stats. Basically: smaller characters have more acceleration, handling and traction but less speed and weight (easier to control and recover but lower top speed). Bigger characters have more speed and weight but less acceleration, handling and traction (higher top speed, but harder to control and recover).

The Mario Wiki has an exact breakdown of stats if you're really interested. If you're not then it shouldn't be a big deal, just use a character you like and you can use the kart selection to balance them so they drive how you like.

Edit: ^^^^^ ThisIsACoolGuy's explanation is a good summary.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 22, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I just love that Wario is so fat that his weight class consists of only him and two giant monster-turtles with actual metal spikes on their backs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PantsBandit posted:

I just love that Wario is so fat that his weight class consists of only him and two giant monster-turtles with actual metal spikes on their backs.

Getting stuck behind Wario on a bike is one of the best things about this game, because his fat loving rear end just envelops the entire bike.

ChaosArgate posted:

I just play Rosalina because I like her design, but she is a pretty popular character to see online, yeah. I also just find it really funny that she just towers over characters like Mario and Peach.

I wish more people knew that Waluigi and Roy share the same base stats as Rosalina. This game needs more Roy players (and surprisingly, way more Waluigi players.) I'm also still somewhat bitter about Rosalina's God Damned loving Bullshit Ice World in MK7.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 22, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

enojy posted:

Getting stuck behind Wario on a bike is one of the best things about this game, because his fat loving rear end just envelops the entire bike.

I wish more people knew that Waluigi and Roy share the same base stats as Rosalina. This game needs more Roy players (and surprisingly, way more Waluigi players.) I'm also still somewhat bitter about Rosalina's God Damned loving Bullshit Ice World in MK7.

I'm a Roy player :allears:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Roy is love

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sorry guys actually Lemmy is the best he makes the best noises and is having the most fun

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Thanks for the explanation about the weights everyone.

Fortunately not too many people seem to be using my favourite character Daisy. (she is so, so :3: )

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Sorry guys actually Lemmy is the best he makes the best noises and is having the most fun
Sorry, but nothing beats Wario's fart noise horn :colbert:
EDIT: Also "Wario always wins!" when you get first place :cool:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Not sure how I avoided the blue shell and pulled out a win…

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Lag probably, if the shell is still a few places back when you cross the finish line it'll go to who is in first after you. The host probably registered you crossing the finish line even though the video says different.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 22, 2014

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Astro7x posted:

The explosion of items and coins left behind from that blue shell is incredible.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Astro7x posted:

Actually if you watch it carefully, the answer is pretty simple. The blue shell had already passed you (look on the left of the clip), and you hit the guy in the lead as it was already circling overhead - thus it was already locked on. You passed by after that, so the shell didn't change target, leaving you to score the win.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

There's some people playing in the goon server in the op! Feel free to join!

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
Just came back from online and it was so much fun! Even if I ended up in second-to-last and last place all the time (and had to resort to my Mii since I was getting my rear end kicked as Shy Guy).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

robodex posted:

I know death stare is probably well overdone by now but my friend captured this yesterday.

I found this pretty funny.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PrBacterio posted:

Sorry, but nothing beats Wario's fart noise horn :colbert:
EDIT: Also "Wario always wins!" when you get first place :cool:

And when you lose says "They all cheated!"

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I finally got this game, and I just wanted to post my thoughts about it:

It was worth trading in my Xbox 360, and other various gaming stuff I didn't want anymore, to get the Wii U and this game. Let's face it, Microsoft and Sony are chumps compared to Nintendo.
Took advantage of the promo to get Wind Waker HD.
Nintendo games.......in HD! So beautiful! :swoon:

This game is so much better than Mariokart 7.
I am so happy they finally made the Koopalings playable racers. It's good to see Nintendo give them so much loving care after neglecting them for many years.
Wario has the best expressions and farting noise horn.
Inside drift bike + Slim seems kinda broken, I can win 150cc races easily with it. Kinda reminds me of MK64's drifting.
All the parts I unlock seem kinda pointless because of how powerful inside drifting is.
The dreaded Blue Shell seems to have been nerfed! Still annoying when you get hit by it but now it doesn't seem to as devastating as it was in previous games, and now 1st place can get an item that completely nullifies the fucker.
Nintendo should release a CD version of the soundtrack because it is freaking awesome.
Holding the A button on the gamepad all the time is causing my hand to cramp up and put an A button shaped indent on my thumb, I think I need one of those Pro controllers.

And finally......
Waluigi is back! :neckbeard:

So yeah, Nintendo has pretty much won 2014 and the upcoming console war as far as I am concerned.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I'm not sure what it is, but something about building a decently-controlling cart with a heavyweight seems to work a billion times better then setting up a fast cart on a baby/lightweight. Like, I pretty much just pick heavy guys and slap Red/Azure Rollers on whatever I want and it just feels so much faster and more controllable then shoving a baby into some top speed combo like the Mach 8/Crimson Slim.

It's weird and it makes me sad. Baby Luigi on the Magicruiser was my jam in MK Wii and I wanted to keep the good thing going but it seems like it's a million times easier to shove Donkey Kong or Bowser into anything with the Rollers and go ham.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 26, 2014

• Locked thread