Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As evidenced recently, Uber is ubiquitous in Europe already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mortley posted:

What might I pay per day for a private driver in Spain? I would never do this of my own accord, but my dad is visiting me on a short "money is no object" kind of trip.
edit: got one quote of 600 euros/day

Is there some reason you reaaaally don't want to get your own rental car (if not in a major city) or take normal taxis right off the street (if in a major city)? Money is no object is one thing, but burning it is kind of silly even so.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
600 Euros a day is ridiculous, a super rich friend of ours just hired a taxi for the entire day in FINLAND for us and it came out to like E300 on the meter.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Uber is like Blablacar but more taxi-like? I feel the same way about burning money, that number was a way-beyond-reasonable ceiling number. I suppose an average taxi driver will know all the touristic spots anyway.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hmm yes? Uber is normal people using their 1-3 year old car as a taxi as a side job. You open up the app on your phone and it will get your location via GPS and tell you how close the nearest Uber is, and if you want, will give you a quote for your destination. If you "get an uber" then the driver arrives, you'll get a text/email when they arrive, usually 3-15 minutes after you request the uber, you get a live feed of where the car is in relation to you (and also when en-route, I've texted drivers before to tell them that they're lost and take X street because it's faster, etc), and then they pick you up and take you where you need to go. When you arrive you just get out of the car and go do whatever. No money/tip exchanges hands when you leave the car, it's all handled by the app. If the driver took "the long way" to screw you, you can dispute it and get a partial refund. You also have to rate each driver/trip so they have an incentive to get 5/5 stars or they can lose their standing as a driver.

The "no money exchanges hands" part is what makes it most like a private driver.

Also it's price competitive, and you can select "regular" (uberx), Uber (nicer cars, typically mercedes in my town) or Black Car which is a full size black mercedes, bmw, towncar etc and is about 2x the price of an uberx.

Here in Dallas you'd have a really hard time spending more than about $120 USD in a full day unless you were going to the airport and making some long trips. If you have a GPS signal you can call the uber when you pay the check and by the time you get outside typically the uber has arrived. I take an Uber to work when it's raining outside, if I call an uber by the time I finish pressing my shirt they've arrived at the house.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 15, 2014

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I'm spending 5 days in Lisbon from the 25th to the 30th. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to eat/what to see in and around the city?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

600 Euros a day is ridiculous, a super rich friend of ours just hired a taxi for the entire day in FINLAND for us and it came out to like E300 on the meter.

All transport in Spain except buses is insanely expensive, particularly given how little people make there. I took a taxi one way from Granada to Malaga last month and it was €160 for about an hour of driving. I could definitely believe €600 is the official rate, just in case someone wants to hire a taxi to like drive from Barcelona to Granada. But yeah if he's planning on just staying in city it's pretty crazy.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Saladman posted:

All transport in Spain except buses is insanely expensive, particularly given how little people make there. I took a taxi one way from Granada to Malaga last month and it was €160 for about an hour of driving. I could definitely believe €600 is the official rate, just in case someone wants to rent a car to like drive from Barcelona to Granada. But yeah if he's planning on just staying in city it's pretty crazy.

Taxis aren't really something I would use (or even consider using) for any longer travel. I know one hour isn't far in the US, but I certainly wouldn't use a taxi to go to a city that is an hour's drive away in Europe. Busses, coaches and trains exist for a reason. And in the above case, it would have been cheaper to just rent a car for a day in Granada and drive to Malaga yourself.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

Taxis aren't really something I would use (or even consider using) for any longer travel. I know one hour isn't far in the US, but I certainly wouldn't use a taxi to go to a city that is an hour's drive away in Europe. Busses, coaches and trains exist for a reason. And in the above case, it would have been cheaper to just rent a car for a day in Granada and drive to Malaga yourself.

Had to catch a plane, and split it with 3 other random people, so it ended up being semi-reasonable, but yeah. Who knew that 2 coaches from Granada->Malaga at 9am Friday could sell out more than 45 minutes before departure in mid-season?

Also Spain has an amazingly poor train system if you want to go anywhere except Madrid. It's ~4 hours to get from Granada to Malaga by train, so you could ride a horse there faster.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 16, 2014

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm trying to find a hotel in Milan. Mainly I want a place where there's good food and bar options within walking distance and not too far from a metro stop. Which neighborhoods should I be looking at? I'd like to not be in the heart of tourist country either, I can hit those places during the day.

e: too late, I booked a place on Plaza Sant'Eustorgio. Other Milan advice is certainly welcome, though.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 16, 2014

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST
Yo what are the top 3 things to do in Salzburg? We just got in tonight, are here for all of tomorrow, and leave Wednesday evening. We haven't seen the Sound of Music, so probably going to skip that particular guided tour. Thinking of going to see the Hohensalzburg Fortress and maybe hike up Kapuzinerberg if the weather permits.

Any can't-miss sights?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

I'm trying to find a hotel in Milan. Mainly I want a place where there's good food and bar options within walking distance and not too far from a metro stop. Which neighborhoods should I be looking at? I'd like to not be in the heart of tourist country either, I can hit those places during the day.

e: too late, I booked a place on Plaza Sant'Eustorgio. Other Milan advice is certainly welcome, though.

The brea district is pretty cool. There's a pizza place called DRY.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alright, going to buy my plane tickets next week (waiting until Tuesday). Only decision is whether to come back on a Thursday or Friday. Obviously Thursday is cheaper, but I want to have enough time to see things.

Leave Monday 11/17
Arrive Tuesday 11/18

London 11/18-11/23 (Sunday) for World Scrabble Championships (seriously)

Sunday afternoon, take train from London to Durham, stay in Durham rest of time

Monday - York
Tuesday - Edinburgh
Wednesday - Newcastle/Gateshead
Thursday - Durham
Friday - train back to London, fly home

The question is if I want to leave on Thursday to save on the plane, room, and needing only a three day rail pass instead of four, should I just combine York with Newcastle/Gateshead? I don't know how much I want to see in Newcastle besides the Gray Street area, and it's literally the next train stop.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
You may be seriously underestimating how long it takes to move hotels every day. Just as a general rule of thumb, never put multiple one-day stays in a row if you can possibly help it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want to travel super light just live off a small backpack.

drat it dresden it's mid June yet so freaking kald. I hope Netherlands would be warm and sunny everyday during july.

Milan and Dresden is not that far off latitude wise!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

duralict posted:

You may be seriously underestimating how long it takes to move hotels every day. Just as a general rule of thumb, never put multiple one-day stays in a row if you can possibly help it.

No I'm staying in Durham the whole time I'm up there, I'm just taking the train to the other cities for the day and coming back at night.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

actionjackson posted:

The question is if I want to leave on Thursday to save on the plane, room, and needing only a three day rail pass instead of four, should I just combine York with Newcastle/Gateshead? I don't know how much I want to see in Newcastle besides the Gray Street area, and it's literally the next train stop.

Well, Newcastle is about an hour away from York by train. I also found York to be pretty jam-packed with stuff to see and wouldn't want to cut time there if you can help it. I was going to recommend taking a trip out to Hadrian's Wall and some of the Roman ruins there, but apparently the bus that stops at all the sites doesn't run in the fall/winter.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MagicCube posted:

Well, Newcastle is about an hour away from York by train. I also found York to be pretty jam-packed with stuff to see and wouldn't want to cut time there if you can help it. I was going to recommend taking a trip out to Hadrian's Wall and some of the Roman ruins there, but apparently the bus that stops at all the sites doesn't run in the fall/winter.

Yeah I have some walking maps, so I'm just going to go to stuff within a few miles of the train station. There's plenty of stuff in Newcastle, so I don't mind spending a day there as long as it will be interesting enough. The stuff I have listed right now is Grey street, Grey's monument, the quayside, St. James Park, Summerhill Park

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

I hope Netherlands would be warm and sunny everyday during july.

Hahaha. No.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Hahaha. No.

Your country sounds freaking miserable, no wonder they were one of the earlier explorers.

Heck at least Vancouver has beautiful summers and rains during the rest of the year.

Aiya the things I do to meet internet strangers.

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
Hey dudes, I'm a Canadian in Europe for about 25 more days. Been staying with a friend in Bosnia, headed to the Croatian coast today. We both haven't been anywhere else in Europe so we are kind of torn between hit and runs in major cities or staying longer and visiting fewer. Reading the OP obviously the latter is more favorable but then the issue of which places to visit comes up.

We are going to Venice and Rome for a fact. After that it's sort of limitless as we have our own car here and only pay for gas. Budget wise I am looking toward $50-75 per day. Not sure if that's too much or too little (Of course we would gladly spend more on certain things if they were justified or highly recommended).

We are two 20-something guys so we don't have lodging preferences at all. The car is an option as well.

Personally, I would like to visit the Netherlands (Amsterdam). A few people I do business with told me I could drop by if I was in town so I may take them up on that (A little south of Amsterdam).

Somewhere in France possibly. We are also interested in Music festivals if there are any within a decent price range (Below $700 bux)

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Lando2 posted:

We are two 20-something guys so we don't have lodging preferences at all. The car is an option as well.

When I was in Rome I stayed at Plus Hostels - Camping Roma. It was cheap, had a pool, good food and they had a store stocked full of beer, food and supplies. They also had a cheap shuttle service to the Vatican. From there we walked everywhere and caught the shuttle back.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just had my first REAL EUROPEAN EXPERIENCE. Right in Potsdam and Berlin!

1. A kid had this "omg ASIANZ" look on this face in Potsdam. He walks in to the restaurant, and walks around our table just to take a closer look.

2. Some German football fans thought I was PSY and then started to sing OPPA GANGNAM STYLE and do the German version :neckbeard:

3. Summer actually means "only warm when the sun is up".

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Lando2 posted:

Just becareful about Italians style driving. Hyper aggressive and tail gating even at 140 kmh+. However, everyone does yield and move out of the way. Unlike the German AUTOBAHN. With a car, and some more extra time you can definitely hit other amazing places along the way from Venice to Rome. It's a heck of a drive so might as well stop by a few places like, Bologna, Pisa, Modena (book a car tour), Florence. You can't really park in Venice so you have to park in the mainland part (Mestre). Even then parking gets really expensive so my suggestion is actually stay in the outskirts of each city, save some money, get bigger rooms, and take the public transportation to the city centre sights. Besides, most italian city centres are blocked off with crazy narrow streets only fit for scooters.

Florence and Venice are amazingly beautiful and Bologna has a very vibrant youngsters feel. You probably can meet some fun locals in Bologna and WITH A CAR it's easy to make some fast travel friends. Beats taking a bus and train.

Stay safe!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

caberham posted:

1. A kid had this "omg ASIANZ" look on this face in Potsdam. He walks in to the restaurant, and walks around our table just to take a closer look.
Probably just surprised to see you outside of Sanssouci Park. Come to think of it, there are two 18th century buildings in that park built in Chinoiserie style, the Chinese House and the Dragon House, if that's your thing.

How long a stay do you have left in the area?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

caberham posted:

3. Summer actually means "only warm when the sun is up".

It's not very warm right now. In late May/early June it was already much hotter and generally the warmest months in Germany are July and August.

Also there is quite a difference between northern Germany and especially the Upper Rhine Plain (Basel, Freiburg, Karlsruhe), where it's almost always a few degrees warmer than in the rest of the country.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Drat I guess I'm just really unlucky. I was here last year around late May and Stuttgart was really really cold. Like single digit and scArf weather. But it was only for a few days.

Not so lucky this week. I'm just annoyed at the bipolar clouds. Just want to sit outside and watch the world cup.

I'm cheering for...

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Defiant Sally posted:

I'm spending 5 days in Lisbon from the 25th to the 30th. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to eat/what to see in and around the city?
Lisbon's a good spot. My favourite restaurant there is 100 Maneiras. It's expensive by Lisbon standards but still great value, the food is amazing. Also a good excuse to take the funicular, as it's up a very steep hill.

Also check out Belem, short journey from the city centre.The Monastery is great, lots of other sites there as well. If you want to grab a day by the beach, Estoril is only 30 mins form the city centre.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

caberham posted:

Drat I guess I'm just really unlucky. I was here last year around late May and Stuttgart was really really cold. Like single digit and scArf weather.

It's germany, that means it's always scarf weather.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I guess I lucked out when I arrived in Berlin in mid-August; it never got hotter than 26.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I guess I lucked out when I arrived in Berlin in mid-August; it never got hotter than 26.

I didn't mean that the weather requires scarves, just that a lot of people (read: women) wear them all the time no matter what.

eh, I think I need to go to sleep, I totally read that wrong

elwood fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 22, 2014

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I might end up staying in Newcastle instead so I can get to Edinburgh in time for the rabbies tour. Can anyone recommend accomodation that's within walking distance of the train station? I've found quite a few hotels. Best deal I've found so far is "Jury's Inn" which is 272 pounds for four nights, or 307 with breakfast. Unfortunately they really don't have the nice, cheap supply of B and B's that Durham has, and the ones they do have are all more than a mile away from the train station.

edit: map

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 26, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I have some walking maps, so I'm just going to go to stuff within a few miles of the train station. There's plenty of stuff in Newcastle, so I don't mind spending a day there as long as it will be interesting enough. The stuff I have listed right now is Grey street, Grey's monument, the quayside, St. James Park, Summerhill Park
Forums been broke, but NYT just had an article on the area: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/travel/lost-in-time-in-englands-northeast.html?_r=0

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

That's what inspired my trip, check my earlier posts :)

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I might end up staying in Newcastle instead so I can get to Edinburgh in time for the rabbies tour. Can anyone recommend accomodation that's within walking distance of the train station? I've found quite a few hotels. Best deal I've found so far is "Jury's Inn" which is 272 pounds for four nights, or 307 with breakfast. Unfortunately they really don't have the nice, cheap supply of B and B's that Durham has, and the ones they do have are all more than a mile away from the train station.

edit: map

I actually spent the night in Newcastle as my base for exploring Hadrian's Wall and the place I stayed at was: http://sleeperz.com/newcastle

It's just down the road from the train station and the room was one of the nicest I stayed in during my Europe trip. It's small (as are the majority of European hotel rooms), but it was very clean and sleek, the bathroom was amazing, and less than a 5 minute walk away from the station.

On your map it would be the location just southeast of the Royal Station hotel.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MagicCube posted:

I actually spent the night in Newcastle as my base for exploring Hadrian's Wall and the place I stayed at was: http://sleeperz.com/newcastle

It's just down the road from the train station and the room was one of the nicest I stayed in during my Europe trip. It's small (as are the majority of European hotel rooms), but it was very clean and sleek, the bathroom was amazing, and less than a 5 minute walk away from the station.

On your map it would be the location just southeast of the Royal Station hotel.

Thanks! Not sure why it didn't show up on my map.

It would only be 49, 53, 58, 58 for Sunday-Wednesday night, good deal! Guess that's because it's off-peak.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What are the two off the beaten path things I should do in Budapest? I'm thinking about adding some more time here, perhaps a bike ride out in to the country here. Flying in, it looks pretty flat though.

Also for those concerned, the ground crew situation with Ryan Air in Rome seems to be resolved, no issues flying in or out this week. My flight out was 10 min late to leave but that's because they arrived 10 minutes late.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
I'm a Canadian travelling to Glasgow this November for a bit of a holiday/graduation party, and I'm trying to plan out my stay. I studied in Glasgow last year, so I've got some working knowledge of fun things to do, but I'm wondering if anyone has any "off the beaten path" suggestions, especially for stuff on in November. I know the weather will be a bit poo poo, and it seems like most of the National Trust sites are closed for the winter. I'm Canadian so the cold is nae bother, but I would like to get out to some cool sites, go on hikes, take a few pictures, etc.

I'm hoping to grab a ticket for the Scotland vs Ireland Euros match, and catch a couple Celtic matches. A pal said to make a trip up to Anstruther for a chippy. Anyone have any other ideas? Wouldn't be opposed to doing something in (northern?) England for a while.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How much time and how far afield are you prepared to go? If you want the outdoors, you could do worse than jump on a train to Aviemore (2.5hrs each way) and go explore the Cairngorms National Park in the Highlands.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
The fiancee and I booked our honeymoon last week. We're going to Santorini and Istanbul for almost a week for each destination in early October. Just wondering if anyone has been and has advice on things to do, eat, and see that we probably wouldn't come across on travel related internet guides. We're staying on the outskirts of Fira in Santorini and smack dab in the middle of the Sultanahmet in Istanbul for reference. Any tips are greatly appreciated.