Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there some way to keep my screen from ever coming on while it's in my pocket? For some reason my Moto X will not stop video calling people through hangouts.

When I was using a flip cover with my GS3, I used an app called "intelli-cover" or something to keep the screen off using the proximity sensor. I can't find that specific app in the store anymore, but there seem to be others that do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Stevie Lee posted:

This has been my wallpaper for a few months now (I switched from Muzei): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.amimetic.android.livewallpaper.evolution.one

It's a simple gradient that changes a few times a day. I'm not sure if it's based on the time of day or not.

This is great, thanks for the heads up on it.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there some way to keep my screen from ever coming on while it's in my pocket? For some reason my Moto X will not stop video calling people through hangouts.

Are you triggering the voice commands somehow?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

khy posted:

I have a specific request and I don't know what thread it belongs in.

I would like to be browsing my PC and be able to click on a phone number in google maps or something, and have my android phone dial that phone number.

Is there any way to integrate my phone with my PC in such a way?

Not quite as convenient as that but MightyText and PushBullet almost let you do this.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Sair posted:

Are you triggering the voice commands somehow?

No, I'm leaving a hangout window open and somehow the phone is turning on in my pocket and starting a video call. My leg is controlling the screen through my pocket. I could turn the phone screen-outward but then I risk smashing the screen on something.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

No, I'm leaving a hangout window open and somehow the phone is turning on in my pocket and starting a video call. My leg is controlling the screen through my pocket. I could turn the phone screen-outward but then I risk smashing the screen on something.

You need to figure out why this is happening instead of layering a half-assed solution on top of a bad situation. Your phone just shouldn't do that.

You've got some app or something messing poo poo up.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Just use a lock screen, why is this that hard?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

You need to figure out why this is happening instead of layering a half-assed solution on top of a bad situation. Your phone just shouldn't do that.

You've got some app or something messing poo poo up.

I'm not sure how to respond to that. How would an app mess poo poo up in a way that only turns the device on in my pocket, and only occasionally?

Perhaps I should point out that when I said "will not stop", I was exaggerating. It happened three times within a couple hours a few days ago, but only a couple times since then. It does seem odd that it's happening at all when it didn't before, but I can't imagine it's a misbehaving app turning my screen on.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why couldn't it be a misbehaving app turning your screen on? One of 2 things is happening, that or your pants are hitting the lock button.

Just use a lockscreen.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Wadjamaloo posted:

Why couldn't it be a misbehaving app turning your screen on?

Because it never happens when it's just sitting on a desk.

I hate having a lock screen on at home, but I'll try it for a week and see what happens.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Because it never happens when it's just sitting on a desk.

I hate having a lock screen on at home, but I'll try it for a week and see what happens.
Well then its probably the lock button.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Is there a way to make Pocket not download anything? I prefer to add things to Pocket on my computer or when messing on my phone at work, and view them later on my tablet. I got it on my phone for the quick "add to pocket" share feature, but dislike that it just downloads everything on a page to my phone automatically. I'm assuming I can't, but figured I'd ask here in case I'm just somehow skipping over an option for this in the settings. Thanks.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

MaxDuo posted:

Is there a way to make Pocket not download anything? I prefer to add things to Pocket on my computer or when messing on my phone at work, and view them later on my tablet. I got it on my phone for the quick "add to pocket" share feature, but dislike that it just downloads everything on a page to my phone automatically. I'm assuming I can't, but figured I'd ask here in case I'm just somehow skipping over an option for this in the settings. Thanks.

You could disable syncing and then clear downloaded files. Should probably do the trick.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm using Linkbubble, however every link I open with it on the Facebook application first opens a facebook.com page saying with the title "something went wrong" and then says there was a problem with the link and that I can continue to the website or go back to where I was before. So basically it renders Linkbubble pretty irritating to use because I have to then click through and the content hasn't loaded in the background. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I just open a handful of links from the beta fb app and they all opened fine in link bubble, so maybe try out the beta?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Anjow posted:

I'm using Linkbubble, however every link I open with it on the Facebook application first opens a facebook.com page saying with the title "something went wrong" and then says there was a problem with the link and that I can continue to the website or go back to where I was before. So basically it renders Linkbubble pretty irritating to use because I have to then click through and the content hasn't loaded in the background. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Is your phone rooted? If so, I highly recommend installing the Xposed module Crappalinks. Should fix this. Otherwise, no idea.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Penguissimo posted:

Does it have to be Google Drive? The Dropbox app will do this flawlessly.

For some reason Dropbox renames your photos when uploading, and there's no way of altering that. Otherwise I'd be perfectly happy with it! - and, of course I'm knee-deep in Google's ecosystem anyway.

So far I'm looking into Tasker plugins, but I'm not having a lot of luck for automated photo backups otherwise.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Anjow posted:

I had this problem before linkbubble and logging into facebook in the browser (I used chrome) fixed it. With linkbubble though, I don't know. It's working fine for me without any special action on my part.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

For some reason Dropbox renames your photos when uploading, and there's no way of altering that. Otherwise I'd be perfectly happy with it! - and, of course I'm knee-deep in Google's ecosystem anyway.

So far I'm looking into Tasker plugins, but I'm not having a lot of luck for automated photo backups otherwise.
Why would you care what the photo's filename is?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
So everyone hates the facebook app, and deservedly so: facebook engineers had to travel to Africa to figure out that their Android app is garbage and uses an excessive amount of data.

Maybe another trip to Africa will teach them more amazing lessons they had previously not learned at facebook, such as: AIDS sucks; Africa is actually a continent; etc.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Its a shame they didn't also learn that they completely hosed up the news feed, the friends list, the search function, and almost every other feature of facebook.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

I name my files by date, location, event/comment to keep them well-organized in addition to folders, e.g., 20140622 Android Thread - Response to LastInLine. Having that altered is annoying.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
How in the name of the flying spaghetti monster do I manage offline maps in the current version of Google Maps? I can figure out how to download them and it even prompts me to provide a name, but after that there's no way to delete or otherwise modify the areas you've downloaded.

Any ideas?

:confused:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

rolleyes posted:

How in the name of the flying spaghetti monster do I manage offline maps in the current version of Google Maps? I can figure out how to download them and it even prompts me to provide a name, but after that there's no way to delete or otherwise modify the areas you've downloaded.

Any ideas?

:confused:

quote:

View your saved maps

Next time you aren't connected to the Internet, you can directly go to the saved area on the map to view it offline. Or, see a list of your saved maps on your Maps Activity page. Here is how to get to the list.

Open the Google Maps app.
Touch the person icon in the top right corner of the home screen to go to your Maps Activity page.
Scroll down to the "Offline maps" section of the Maps Activity page, and touch the area of the map that you'd like to see on the map. To see all of your saved maps, touch View all and manage.
Note: You can move and zoom in or out on your saved map, but you can’t search or get directions on it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Cheers, I have no idea why that didn't come up when I searched google's help pages.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

...I don't see why Dropbox should 'helpfully' rename them, when the photos already taken by Google Camera follow the standard IMG_yyymmdd_hhmmss filename format?

I'm looking for something that basically grabs new photos from my Camera folder and dumps them into a cloud folder so I can sort them later, with zero editing or tweaking or fiddling or anything.

Amazon seem to offer a similar photo backup service, anyway: they're next on the list.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Dropbox has never renamed files for me, are you sure you didn't change some setting in it?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

rolleyes posted:

Cheers, I have no idea why that didn't come up when I searched google's help pages.

I found it through the help option within the app.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Dropbox has never renamed files for me, are you sure you didn't change some setting in it?

Positive. They turn into 'yyyy-mm-dd hh-mm-ss.jpg' after upload.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spincube posted:

Positive. They turn into 'yyyy-mm-dd hh-mm-ss.jpg' after upload.

I'm not getting this behavior, and i even just tried turning camera upload off and back on. The images are staying in the IMG_yyyymmdd_hhmmss.jpg format my camera app uses.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm not getting this behavior, and i even just tried turning camera upload off and back on. The images are staying in the IMG_yyyymmdd_hhmmss.jpg format my camera app uses.

Mine get renamed too. I wonder what wizardry you're using that's keeping your filenames the same.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's 2014 people use metadata.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Any of the other three BeyondPod users in here using the latest beta? I've been using it for about a month now and I'm still torn on how I feel about it. I was really looking forward to it, but it was underwhelming enough that I'm considering switching to Pocket Casts.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

XIII posted:

Any of the other three BeyondPod users in here using the latest beta? I've been using it for about a month now and I'm still torn on how I feel about it. I was really looking forward to it, but it was underwhelming enough that I'm considering switching to Pocket Casts.

The 4.0 beta has been out for a month? I was just notified of it today.

I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. It took me about an hour to figure out how to make it work the way I wanted it to, and I'm still not sure if there is a way to quickly make a playlist out of a single feed. I'm glad you can select multiple episodes to download or mark read now though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I wish there was a podcasting app with Pocketcast UX and Beyondpod control.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

That reminds me of when I was in the private beta for the now-current version of ES File Explorer. I used to really like ES back in the Gingerbread days and was excited to see it was going to be updated. Seeing the early version didn't fill me with optimism as the UI wasn't that great and was in a lot of ways worse. They weren't taking any bugs on things that weren't UX-related or regressions so I knew that the things that were broken were going to stay broken. But worst of all to me was the fact that if they're going to do a major UI overhaul, they aren't going to go back and fix it any time soon. For better or worse, this was going to be direction they would be taking it.

Throughout the beta I went from really liking the app, to tepid acceptance of the app, to actively seeking to replace it all because seeing the bar the beta set was far too low. That was the first time it really dawned on me that I'm willing to sacrifice functionality for a thoughtfully designed experience as long as my base needs for the app have been met.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Speaking of ES - Sliding Explorer looks nice - lightweight, root, not-ugly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

Speaking of ES - Sliding Explorer looks nice - lightweight, root, not-ugly.
I won't lie, that looks great. I moved on to Root Explorer since I knew the code was rock solid and the new UI is genuinely nice but I'll admit that looks a bit better.

Honestly now that the OS is so stable I find I seldom need a file explorer. I won't say never (I just used it to install the new Search app via the network) but it's not like it used to be.

Speaking of that, the new Google Search allows you to use "Ok Google" whenever the screen is on, be it in the launcher, an app, or even (optionally) the lockscreen. It's baller as gently caress.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Weird, I typed out a response and thought it posted.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The 4.0 beta has been out for a month? I was just notified of it today.

The beta has been available for download via their forums for a little over a month now. Yesterday was the first day they started pushing it out really. They've been really good about listening to the (fairly limited) feedback they've been getting. I started a thread yesterday with a few suggestions, a bug report, and such and they've solved one problem (was semi buried in menus), acknowledged the bug as a bug, and addressed my suggestions. Really, the things I was griping about are all in the queue to be fixed, so I'll hold off on jumping ship a while longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Speaking of that, the new Google Search allows you to use "Ok Google" whenever the screen is on, be it in the launcher, an app, or even (optionally) the lockscreen. It's baller as gently caress.

Huh. I installed the apk, but I don't have the option to enable the global hotword detection.

• Locked thread