Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I'm not sure you can sustain a Whamon right now. That rear end in a top hat eats something like a Sirloin and a half per meal, and you only have access to Great Meat for the time being. You're going to make a ton of care mistakes due to hunger if you pick it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Somethingdumb posted:

Kyle, what do you think of all the people saying not to get Whamon? Should we not get Whamon? (the only reason they sighted was because it makes a weird noise)

I can't speak for Kyle, but I vote no Whamon. :c00lbert:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Somethingdumb posted:

Kyle, what do you think of all the people saying not to get Whamon? Should we not get Whamon? (the only reason they sighted was because it makes a weird noise)

Get Whamon! And then Megaseadramon. :colbert:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

MR. J posted:

You guys have a goddamn Rappy following you around.

Al Rappy :3:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'll bet that there actually is a boolean flag in the game to determine if the requirement is a minimum or maximum, and that's why the dude put it in the guide.

It's still a stupid as gently caress way to convey that to a human reader, but it does make sense to code it like that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

How can you not like Penguinmon? He does a backflip when he's happy!

Also get Bakemon. :ghost:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Let's Play Digimon World: Freeform Guide Interpretation.

Seriously, how much of that video was just you fumbling around for what to do? Man, is it even going to work?

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 12

So long, Penguinmon. Our time together in this digital world was too short.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Sheesh, you'd think a champion digimon would be better than how Fridgemon is performing at.

I fear if you guys ever get a Numemon.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Big Snowman Bowels.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Frigimon is probably the cutest Champion level Digimon... not that it's saying much, but still.

I have a couple of tips if you're interested:
If you have Centarumon, you can rest at his place, south of Jijimon's house. It will restore your tiredness much faster.
Your first Champions aren't going to be all that spectacular, so get used to it.
I don't think you're supposed to get Ultimates until you've upgraded your city a little.
Most importantly: you desperately need new techniques. Tear Drop isn't going to get you far. You should be able to get them by getting his brains to around 200 and fight ModokiBetamon until you learn his techniques.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 21, 2014

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Frigimon is probably the cutest Champion level Digimon... not that it's saying much, but still.

If you have Centarumon, you can rest at his place, south of Jijimon's house. It will restore your tiredness much faster.
Your first Champions aren't going to be all that spectacular, so get used to it.
I don't think you're supposed to get Ultimates until you've upgraded your city a little.
Most importantly: you desperately need new techniques. Tear Drop isn't going to get you far. You should be able to get them by getting his brains to around 200 and fight ModokiBetamon until you learn his techniques.

This is all good advice, would be nice if the game told you any of this though. It's amazing how none of the developers thought to put in any info as to how technique learning works.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh drat, I forgot all about using Centarumon to get rid of tiredness. We already learned that, I feel so dumb.

I agree that we desperately need new techniques; thing is, we never found a clear consensus on how to go about doing that. If you think it's as simple as having high brains and get into battles, we can give it a shot.

I should hack my PSP to put Digimon World on it, because I'm pretty sure I can just transfer the save file over from my PS3. Then maybe I could spend time doing dumb training on my own time more easily.

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 21, 2014

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That sounds like a really good idea if it works. I still enjoy the episodes where it's mostly just training, but I think the two of you are probably gonna burn out on this game a lot faster if you have to spend most of the recording time just hanging out at the digigym.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

19LettersLong posted:

I agree that we desperately need new techniques; thing is, we never found a clear consensus on how to go about doing that. If you think it's as simple as having high brains and get into battles, we can give it a shot.

A guy who hacked the game argues that this is how it works.

Basically:

1) Figure out your digimon's primary nature. It'll be the first little icon listed under "special" on the digimon stat screen (Frigimon's is Ice). Your digimon has a much easier time learning techniques of its primary nature, it can learn techniques of its secondary/tertiary nature but these have lower chances.

2) Figure out which techs your digimon can learn and which enemy digimon know these techniques (use this to help). To learn a technique, your digimon must witness an enemy using that technique, then the RGN decides whether or not your digimon learns it, brains make no difference at all. They only have to use it once in a battle and it still counts if the attack doesn't hit or you interrupt them midway.

3) Look up the chance of learning the desired technique (found on page 2 of the first link I posted).

4) Keep battling enemies that know the techs you want until you learn them.

There's more to it than that but this should be all you need...

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I knew that having whatever technique you're trying to learn performed against you was necessary to learn it, but I could have sworn that Brains played a part in this; however I'll trust someone who broke the game code open over my personal experience any day of the week.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 21, 2014

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I knew that having whatever technique you're trying to learn performed against you was necessary to learn it, but I could have sworn that Brains played a part in this; however I'll trust someone who broke the game code open over my personal experience any day of the week.

It's extremely rare, but it's possible to learn a tech while training brains, so that's probably where the association comes from

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lazerbeam posted:

There's more to it than that but this should be all you need...

This makes the post seem somehow sinister, as if right after you typed this, thunder roared and you cackled madly.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Likewise, the light grey blocks on your technique list indicate what attacks a digimon can learn. So from what I've seen, Frigimon can learn every water/ice attack there is. So yeah, just keep busting ModokiBetamon heads and you should at least pick up Water Blit which is a pretty good move. For other ice type moves, you'll have to go to an area that I don't think we have access to yet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

- The Question IF you learned the technique remains undecided till your Enemy (or well you) hits 0 HP.

Jesus loving Christ I could've shaved twelve hours of effort off of my LP.

quote:

Buster Dive 16% 7% 0%

So that's why Jake never learned it!? He literally couldn't?

Godfuckingdammit I want to hit myself with a phone book.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So that's why Jake never learned it!? He literally couldn't?

Godfuckingdammit I want to hit myself with a phone book.

Digimon World: Destroying lives since 2000.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

ChairMaster posted:

That sounds like a really good idea if it works. I still enjoy the episodes where it's mostly just training, but I think the two of you are probably gonna burn out on this game a lot faster if you have to spend most of the recording time just hanging out at the digigym.

In a brilliant reversal of roles, Kyle is sick as poo poo of this game and I'm loving, it, training included.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Awesome, thanks Lazerbeam.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

PSP hackery success! Hopefully this will encourage me to do some "off-air" training.

PS, from the opening paragraph of that techniques guide:

quote:

1. Learning Techs

Learning techs is fairly straightforward, but not exactly easy. Learning
techs is a function of the mon's brains stat. When the
digimon's brains stat reaches the high x40s, it becomes eligible to
learn a tech.
If this is to be believed, brains is very much an important part of learning techs. Also, what in the loving hell does "the high x40s" mean????

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

19LettersLong posted:

If this is to be believed, brains is very much an important part of learning techs. Also, what in the loving hell does "the high x40s" mean????

Should of clarified but I only linked that guide so that you could find out which techniques are learned from which enemies. The whole "learning techniques" bit you quoted is from 2000 and is what people assumed technique learning was like at the time. You should probably take the advice of the 2012 dude who hacked the game instead.

I guess high x40s is high 400's or something maybe? Doesn't make sense since rookies can learn techniques with less than 100 brains (hell I've gotten sonic jab for my agumon from the first fight before). Also, Lemon had about 200 brains and he learned some of the best techniques in the game.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Maybe it means multiples of 100 + 40? 40, 140, 240? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense but that was my assumption upon reading it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yeah, but even with that knowledge it can still take a while. Hitting a different order cycles an RN for whatever reason, and screen transitions seem to either advance RNs or reseed the RNs entirely, my money is on advance because it rolls to determine what items are on the floor, if any (but the RNs still advance going from, say, City > Green Gym, where there are no items, so I'm unsure). But you're still gambling on what can be a pretty small chance. The amount of time it took me to teach a Garurumon Ice Statue transcended any sane number of attempts, and I was using this technique a lot.

Since we're on the topic of random numbers anyway, I might as well blather on about Bonus Tries (I might've said this in the last thread).

Bonus Try sucks. It doesn't matter how accurate you are at timing the reels, the RNG will lock you out of the good results if it feels like it, but it'll only bother doing so if you already matched the first two symbols, when it'll blatabtly cheat to deny you the third. So, you can match heart-heart-poop any time, but if you try going poop-poop-poop on the same RN it'll magically skip the third one.

So it's only worth it if you're save state cheating (at which point you might as well for-real cheat). What's weird is the different training apparatuses all have a different random number assosciated with them. You might be locked out of getting the best result (three golden poops) on, say, HP training, but you can walk over to the OFF training and get them no problem. I have no idea how it works beyond that, sadly, but I don't think you can follow the "golden poop = yes" RN around the gym because it seems like all the numbers are discarded when you complete any one training. Oh and the golden poops, matching symbols and unrelated symbols results are all seperate RNs. You can get matching symbols but be unable to get poops, and vice versa.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

19LettersLong posted:

PSP hackery success! Hopefully this will encourage me to do some "off-air" training.

PS, from the opening paragraph of that techniques guide:

Wow, that is phrased in the stupidest way possible and half wrong. What they mean is that if you train brains at the chalkboard at the gym, if you get reach/pass a brains value of 50, then you have a chance to learn a technique randomly. So basically, if you're training or fighting and you notice that your digimon's brains is--for instance--146, then you should make sure you pass 150 from the chalkboard. The chance is relatively low, but it's better than nothing.

This is the only way brains influences learning techniques. Brains has no effect from learning techniques in battle.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Was able to get Water Blit while playing on my own time today. :) Did it by fighting J-Mojyamons because they use water blit with much more regularity than ModokiBetamon.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Water Blit is a pretty good technique that won't eat through your MP bar like chips at a party, so that's good.
You might want to see if you can snag Ice Needle as well: it's great for interrupting slow-charging moves.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I await the inevitable accident where Kyle loses track of his digimon's age while PSP training, and it dies off-camera.

Episode 14: Hey uh, guys. We got a new digimon! Heh heh...

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

No, I'm being careful not to waste too much time. I only spent two days in PSP world.

e: Only thing that sucks about playing on PSP, and this might only be an issue with the version of the game I downloaded, is that it doesn't run at full speed. :/ It's maybe like 75% speed. Kind of disappointing.

Anyway, I'm working on the next episode today so hoepfully it will be out by tonight.

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 27, 2014

Dark Raku
Sep 20, 2012
It was mentioned in part one that Digimon were wired key chain things in this game. Not sure whether this has been mentioned but they were like that before the anime came along and the toys got better, from what I remember anyways.

Yes, Google tells me the virtual pet keychain things that I remember having were released in 1997. Explains why you need to make Digimon eat and poo and they can die if not fed in this game if what they had to draw from at the time was when Digimon was heavily virtual pet tamagotchi simulator based things.

My digimon died so often because it never went to the loo.

Toilets are important.

Dark Raku fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 27, 2014

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 13

Sorry this is a weird half-episode. Basically, it's Keith's fault.

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 27, 2014

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
You could totally have won that. Just gotta fling an entire pile of recovery floppies.

The only requirement for moving the boulder is a Champion digimon. I don't know what bad effects the sadface from not liking the area has, if any... might make you get sick easier.

Tubofun
Jul 8, 2009
Yo guys, great LP so far! Really enjoying it.

But the latest update on the OP is messed up. Think you guys forgot a ]!

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Keith there is no way in the world that it would alternate the triggers even if it were an xbox controller. That's just crazy.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Happy Birthday Keith. Now stop falling off jumps, it isn't bullshit if you jump past two platforms only to miss the third.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Where the hell are you guys finding these guides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
There is no such thing as a reliable text guide to DW1

• Locked thread