Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kevin Sullivan said the Dungeon of Doom was part of his plan to make Hogan comfortable with his booking (a WWF-style cartoon character stable because Hogan was badly out of place with people who can actually work) because he knew an eventual heel turn was the only way to freshen his character up from being a bad nostalgia act and Hogan would have told him to go to hell if he tried at the start. When did they start formulating a Hogan heel turn, even if not "oh my god, he's the third man!!!!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Kevin Sullivan said the Dungeon of Doom was part of his plan to make Hogan comfortable with his booking (a WWF-style cartoon character stable because Hogan was badly out of place with people who can actually work) because he knew an eventual heel turn was the only way to freshen his character up from being a bad nostalgia act and Hogan would have told him to go to hell if he tried at the start. When did they start formulating a Hogan heel turn, even if not "oh my god, he's the third man!!!!"?

Sullivan was only the booker because he would book what made Hogan happy, so he's right to an extent, but trying to give himself too much credit. Hogan being the third man was discussed for a few weeks before Bash 96 and agreed to 11 days prior. Before that there was Darkside Hogan in the fall of 95, but I think that was more trying to breathe new life into the character rather than setting up an actual turn.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jim Neidhart on his post-Montreal screw-job WCW run.
"I've never made so much money doing absolutely f**king nothing".

http://rajah.com/node/41715

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like that he consistently refers to pot as 'the devil weed.'

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

I wonder how many of the thumbs down for Road Wild were because of the main's finish.

I wonder who the gently caress gave Canadian Stampede a thumbs down, and how fast he was run the gently caress out of town.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

birdlaw posted:

I wonder who the gently caress gave Canadian Stampede a thumbs down, and how fast he was run the gently caress out of town.

Probably the guy who brings signs with a guy peeing on the WWF logo to Nitro. "yeah I totally bought Canadian Stampede and it SUCKED" *click*

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Sullivan was only the booker because he would book what made Hogan happy, so he's right to an extent, but trying to give himself too much credit. Hogan being the third man was discussed for a few weeks before Bash 96 and agreed to 11 days prior. Before that there was Darkside Hogan in the fall of 95, but I think that was more trying to breathe new life into the character rather than setting up an actual turn.

Darkside Hogan is probably when Sullivan and the boys backstage realized that heel Hogan could work, as I think there's a lot of elements in what eventually became Hollywood Hulkster, but I agree it's giving him too much credit to suggest the idea was always to turn him, rather than a happy near-accident.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's funny they tried so hard to have Hogan be a babyface but WCW fans hated him so much. always booing and throwing garbage, they basically had to make him a heel. Ten years later they do the NwO thing in WWE, they try super hard to make him a heel, but WWE fans love him so much they just cheer no matter what and he's a face.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

greatn posted:

It's funny they tried so hard to have Hogan be a babyface but WCW fans hated him so much. always booing and throwing garbage, they basically had to make him a heel. Ten years later they do the NwO thing in WWE, they try super hard to make him a heel, but WWE fans love him so much they just cheer no matter what and he's a face.

Hogan did business in WCW as a face for over a year, the fans got sick of him as a face in WWE in three weeks.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Getting off topic, but is there any truth to the rumor that Wrestlemania X8 was supposed to be Hogan vs Austin, but Austin vetoed it because he thought Hogan would get himself over as a babyface & kill his heat?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Do you think Hogan would have been accepted in WCW by the fans if he changed his in-ring style like he does when he would wrestle in Japan? I'm not saying Hogan was a secret technical master but he seemed way more talented than his WWF and WCW runs would lead you to believe.

bartok fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 22, 2014

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

bartok posted:

Do you think Hogan would have been accepted in WCW by the fans if he changed his in-ring style like he does when he would wrestle in Japan? I'm not saying Hogan was a secret technical master but he seemed way more talented than his WWF and WCW runs would lead you to believe.

I don't think so, because he was still going over all of the big name WCW talent as soon as he got there. I think that's what people hated the most. His technical skills wouldn't have mattered, I don't think, because he was still the same bland character ruining everybody who was already established as a top star.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think way they were booking wasn't "here's WCW, where the big boys play" so much as "here's WCW, where this week's WWF castoffs go over our top stars forever and make our guys look like poo poo". No poo poo you can't build anyone up other than Goldberg (basic monster heel booking) and DDP (just that cool).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Phenix Rising posted:

I don't think so, because he was still going over all of the big name WCW talent as soon as he got there. I think that's what people hated the most. His technical skills wouldn't have mattered, I don't think, because he was still the same bland character ruining everybody who was already established as a top star.

On top of that, Hogan's insistence on hiring his schmucky, untalented over the hill buddies didn't help either.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

bartok posted:

Hogan hitting Savage with an enzuigiri to start his heel turn at Bash at the Beach would be a hell of a moment, but I think he'd get lazy in time and would just fall back into his WWF style.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I can't think of a good thread to post this, but I'm watching the Monday Night Wars (and ECW). I'm only one month in but it's really jarring the way WCW and ECW acknowledge other wrestling feds (WWF, New Japan, each other) while WWF just acts like it's own little universe.

Also Raven rules. So does ECW referee Bill Alfonzo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Burt Buckle posted:

I'm only one month in but it's really jarring the way WCW and ECW acknowledge other wrestling feds (WWF, New Japan, each other) while WWF just acts like it's own little universe.
This was one of my very favourite things about WCW, IT made it seem more like a sport when they would recognise other promotions. I was watching Starrcade 96 the other week and the matches with Ultimo Dragon and Jushin Liger were both great for this. They had their histories in Japan and Mexico and such discussed, it was great.

Unrelated but Dusty on commentary during the Liver match, "I gotta remember that for later. 'What was that honey?' 'That was the dragon screw leg whip'" is one of the funniest things I've heard a commentator say.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

St Evan Echoes posted:

This was one of my very favourite things about WCW, IT made it seem more like a sport when they would recognise other promotions.

I'm not sure why. When was the last time you heard NFL announcers mention the CFL?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fatherdog posted:

I'm not sure why. When was the last time you heard NFL announcers mention the CFL?

When CFL guys actually accomplish something, they do it. Announcers used to bring up Jeff Garcia's background with the Stampeders sometimes, and Kurt Warner's time in the Arean league was a big part of his narartive.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Who can forget the CFL Invasion angle they did. Remember that pop when the Toronto Argonauts ran into the stadium at Super Bowl XXXVI?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fatherdog posted:

In sports with an actual global appeal such as soccer they mention the other leagues all of the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

In sports with an actual global appeal such as soccer they mention the other leagues all of the time.

In actual sports with global appeal like baseball they only mention Japan and pray at the altar of anyone connected to football, just like WCW. Announcers will occasionally spoil results of the Cape Cod League too.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Tommy "HE CAME FROM THE XFL" Maddox.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

In actual sports with global appeal like baseball they only mention Japan and pray at the altar of anyone connected to football, just like WCW. Announcers will occasionally spoil results of the Cape Cod League too.

Mainly because anyone not from Japan or Korea who can breathe and throw a ball 90 mph is going to be locked up by a team and developed in the minors.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
We can all agree though that the only reason that America has so many sports that nobody else plays professionally is that they act like massive children every time they lose?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

when do we ever lose?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think mentioning other promotions is very cool and good. somebody should pitch it to vince like "hey marvel sure is popular! you ever notice how much people like that they've set up a whole gigantic universe outside the immediate narrative and then freak out when worlds collide? somebody should do that with wrestling"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

epitasis posted:

when do we ever lose?

When do you ever win?

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

When do you ever win?

Name one Olympic event America has ever lost, fuckface.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

i think mentioning other promotions is very cool and good. somebody should pitch it to vince like "hey marvel sure is popular! you ever notice how much people like that they've set up a whole gigantic universe outside the immediate narrative and then freak out when worlds collide? somebody should do that with wrestling"

Let me introduce you to the WWE universe.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Burt Buckle posted:

Name one Olympic event America has ever lost, fuckface.

Most of them.

Edit: Hell, in 1980 you didn't even turn up! What was all that about? You turned up to the Nazi ones.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 22, 2014

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The USA has by far the most medals in Olympic History and an American holds the most medals for one individual.

These are facts, sorry.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Most of them.

Edit: Hell, in 1980 you didn't even turn up! What was all that about? You turned up to the Nazi ones.

Jesse Owens single handedly won WW2 at those games fucker.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

oldpainless posted:

The USA has by far the most medals in Olympic History and an American holds the most medals for one individual.

These are facts, sorry.

This includes Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle. America is also home to all-time WCW great, Hulk Hogan.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
"You know who I am, and you know where I'm from. But what you don't know... is why I'm here." -Jessie Owens

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

oldpainless posted:

These are facts, sorry.

That's what you get when you have a bunch of events that favour the money rich nations like Pony dancing and sailing, all put in because America would throw a hissy fit if it lost because it is the bitchiest nation.

And the Iron Shiek is the best Olympic Gold Medalist in WWE. IRAN NUMBA 1!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

This was one of my very favourite things about WCW, IT made it seem more like a sport when they would recognise other promotions. I was watching Starrcade 96 the other week and the matches with Ultimo Dragon and Jushin Liger were both great for this. They had their histories in Japan and Mexico and such discussed, it was great.

Unrelated but Dusty on commentary during the Liver match, "I gotta remember that for later. 'What was that honey?' 'That was the dragon screw leg whip'" is one of the funniest things I've heard a commentator say.
Ultimo Dragon? He died in 1913! Get a load of this guy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Ultimo Dragon? He died in 1913! Get a load of this guy.

Maybe Ultimo Dragon's ghost!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's what you get when you have a bunch of events that favour the money rich nations like Pony dancing and sailing, all put in because America would throw a hissy fit if it lost because it is the bitchiest nation.

And the Iron Shiek is the best Olympic Gold Medalist in WWE. IRAN NUMBA 1!

Sheik hasn't won an Olympic Gold. That "fact" is kayfabe. The year they claim he won a medal, he was cut from competition in the finals of the team tryouts. Not only that, the Iranian team won two medals in '68, both of them silver.

He was however, an rear end't coach for Team USA at the '72 Munich Olympics.

The only Olympic gold medalist in WWE history really is Kurt Angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sheik hasn't won an Olympic Gold. That "fact" is kayfabe. The year they claim he won a medal, he was cut from competition in the finals of the team tryouts. Not only that, the Iranian team won two medals in '68, both of them silver.

He was however, an rear end't coach for Team USA at the '72 Munich Olympics.

The only Olympic gold medalist in WWE history really is Kurt Angle.

Bollocks, more USA whinging.

IRON SHIEK NUMBER ONE!

Gonna stop this derail now because I've had my fun.