Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Literally The Worst posted:

Magic, a game renowned for its lack of chance and utter reliance on skill.

Something Awful, a forum renowned for its abundance of people responding sincerely to trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Mono-Red Aggro wins another SCG Open. Expect to see a million of these decks at your local FNM for the next month.

Edit: Adrian Sullivan plays Darksteel Ingot, Debtor's Pulpit, Essence Scatter, Cyclonic Rift, Opportunity, Render Silent, and TRADING POST in his U/W Control deck. I forgive him for playing all his permanents upside-down with lands in front.

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 22, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
No fun decks made it in Chicago, I guess 15 rounds will beat out aggro decks better than 10 can. 5 black devotion, 2 W/U control, 1 mono blue. Guess I won't feel bad about turning this off for the soccer game in half an hour.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Guh, came ninth on tiebreakers in a cash GPT, was a point or beater breakers from getting at least £50 for being in the top 8. Trying not to be too down about it as I beat a guy that's going on the Pro Tour, but he did land flood, then land screw pretty bad. Also, my sixth round opponent, who was drawn up against me, didn't show up, I guess because he was out of contention.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

Mono-Red Aggro wins another SCG Open. Expect to see a million of these decks at your local FNM for the next month.

Edit: Adrian Sullivan plays Darksteel Ingot, Debtor's Pulpit, Essence Scatter, Cyclonic Rift, Opportunity, Render Silent, and TRADING POST in his U/W Control deck. I forgive him for playing all his permanents upside-down with lands in front.

I never really cared for Adrian Sullivan as a commentator, but I love his deck and playstyle. I hate lands in front, but with them all upside down, I imagine it just tilts his opponents so I can approve. He's definitely been a treat to watch this weekend, and I generally can't stand to watch Sphinx's decks.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

A new M15 spoiler:

Geisterbund 1W (in English that's something like Spirit Alliance)
Enchantment - Rare
Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay W. If you do, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield under your control.
1W, Sacrifice a spirit: Target non-spirit creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
Designed by Justin Gary

This card is awesome.

Music For Cats fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 23, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

It's pretty clever, but it seems like an awful lot of hoops to jump through for flying 1/1s and the occasional indestructible.
It will likely be a lot of fun in limited, though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Music For Cats posted:

A new M15 spoiler:

Enchantment - Rare
Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay W. If you do, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield under your control.
1W, Sacrifice a spirit: Target non-spirit creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
Designed by Justin Gary

This card is awesome.

I bet it's Spiritbond even though that's not technically what it reads as in German. I'm just going to think of it as Ghost Buddy until I get the official English name.

It's pretty cool though. It's the kind of fun card I'd want to use, and since I mostly play Limited, I might even get to!

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
My only complaint is that it can't trigger tallowisp, and will not bring the return of Ghost Dad decks.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
So who won GP Chicago? Coverage isn't updated past the quarterfinals on Wizards' site.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

So who won GP Chicago? Coverage isn't updated past the quarterfinals on Wizards' site.

Tyler Blum, playing a Mono-B Devotion mirror.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

It's pretty clever, but it seems like an awful lot of hoops to jump through for flying 1/1s and the occasional indestructible.
It will likely be a lot of fun in limited, though.

Yeah, seriously -- I've come to expect "fun" rares to be overcosted but 1W to drop it with W for the activation cost seems to me like the sweet spot. It's gonna work real nicely with evoke, too -- really hope M15 ends up being a great set to draft.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Music For Cats posted:

A new M15 spoiler:

Enchantment - Rare
Designed by Justin Gary

This card is awesome.

That card looks awesome, they really let these guest designers make some neat cards.

e: cool art too

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

^^^^ That's good art, right there.

goferchan posted:

Yeah, seriously -- I've come to expect "fun" rares to be overcosted but 1W to drop it with W for the activation cost seems to me like the sweet spot. It's gonna work real nicely with evoke, too -- really hope M15 ends up being a great set to draft.

Yeah, I had forgotten that convoke was going to make a comeback in M15. It's got a nice aggressive cost, that's no doubt, but I think it ends up falling somewhere between aggro and midrange, not quite finding a home in either.
My concerns are that you're putting down a two-drop that doesn't do anything that turn; and in subsequent turns, the creatures you play will be 1 turn behind on the curve (so you can pay the W) thus hamstringing your attempts to outrace other aggro decks.
Also, multiple copies in your deck become redundant.
It's got some real fun design, though, and I'm excited to draft it.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 23, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Does the black border at the bottom curl into the card because it's a special card, or to give M15 cards something visually distinct?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Rinkles posted:

Does the black border at the bottom curl into the card because it's a special card, or to give M15 cards something visually distinct?

New card frames starting with M15.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Dungeon Ecology posted:

^^^^ That's good art, right there.

Yeah, I had forgotten that convoke was going to make a comeback in M15. It's got a nice aggressive cost, that's no doubt, but I think it ends up falling somewhere between aggro and midrange, not quite finding a home in either.
My concerns are that you're putting down a two-drop that doesn't do anything that turn; and in subsequent turns, the creatures you play will be 1 turn behind on the curve (so you can pay the W) thus hamstringing your attempts to outrace other aggro decks.
Also, multiple copies in your deck become redundant.
It's got some real fun design, though, and I'm excited to draft it.

Redundant how? You can pay W as many times as you have Geisterbunds.

I would see it as a 1-3 of in a white weenie aggro deck. You absolutely don't want to cast it on-curve but it's going to make the midgame, when you have open mana and underwhelming creatures, that much better. It goes REALLY well with Athreos - returned-to-hand 1-drops are a lot better when they come with free ghosts and the threat of indestructibility.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chorocojo posted:

New card frames starting with M15.

Is there a good reason for this? A milestone visual tweek to quickly tell approximately how old a card is?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

Is there a good reason for this? A milestone visual tweek to quickly tell approximately how old a card is?

The new card frame is machine-readable and all the rares and mythics have a little holofoil stamp.

As to whether that's a "good reason" or not, I couldn't say

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

The new card frame is machine-readable and all the rares and mythics have a little holofoil stamp.

As to whether that's a "good reason" or not, I couldn't say

That's potentially pretty cool. Do they have any concrete plans announced for making use of it?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

Redundant how? You can pay W as many times as you have Geisterbunds.

I would see it as a 1-3 of in a white weenie aggro deck. You absolutely don't want to cast it on-curve but it's going to make the midgame, when you have open mana and underwhelming creatures, that much better. It goes REALLY well with Athreos - returned-to-hand 1-drops are a lot better when they come with free ghosts and the threat of indestructibility.

Ah, you're right. I was thinking you could pay W any number of times, but I see now I misread it. I can see how the card could help carry over the last bit of damage for weenie decks that would have otherwise run out of steam.

Rinkles posted:

My understanding is that they are introducing holographic stamps to the bottom of the rare and mythic cards to reduce counterfeiting. My guess is, since they were already going to rework the card frame to include that, why not freshen it up a bit as well.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rinkles posted:

That's potentially pretty cool. Do they have any concrete plans announced for making use of it?

The machine readability is more for their internal use with printing. Basically, by making their cards machine readable they can more precisely map or pair cards in packs, avoid printing errors, that sort of thing.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dungeon Ecology posted:

My understanding is that they are introducing holographic stamps to the bottom of the rare and mythic cards to reduce counterfeiting. My guess is, since they were already going to rework the card frame to include that, why not freshen it up a bit as well.

It's also so that it's machine-readable, which allows them some leeway in the printing process and booster organization shenanigans.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Music For Cats posted:

A new M15 spoiler:

Enchantment - Rare
Designed by Justin Gary

This card is awesome.

Seems fringe constructed to me. Giving all of your creatures a cheap kicker ability is a pretty nifty bonus.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Are they really not updating till 12am PST?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
That card is better than Bitterblossom. There, I said it.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Back when vintage masters was first being talked about in this thread I remember someone bringing up UG Madness. It looked fun so I built it in paper magic and love it. How would something like that do in actual vintage games on MTGO? Is there any way to make it competitive?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bugsy posted:

Trick Jarret, the webmaster, indicated that they were still sticking with the 12am EST stuff last week but were delaying it to 12am PST last week due to them messing with the site still. I am willing to bet they forgot to switch it back.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
e: Stupid latency :argh:

e:e: oh, mothership update: https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/480925927472263168 they're sticking with the 3 AM EST date in the short term in order to try to make poo poo not be broken.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 23, 2014

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

Look at the date this was posted. The site hasn't been updated at midnight EST again since the change. One more reason to hate the new site.

Edit: Looks like this will be fixed later in the week. Sucks that they haven't fixed it when most people will be looking at the site, but whatever.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

from http://www.gatheringmagic.com/mtgpotpourri-062314-mtg-potpourri-12-repo-draft-and-the-aanr

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Seems dope. Who was lamenting that this wasn't going to be printed, since Soul of Innistrad is probably in Black's spot?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

These at mythic are so underwhelming. This is the one that makes some sorta sense, as when you untap, you can swing freely (at a high cost) but its still pretty miserable.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

That's awesome. Them referencing New Phyrexia in a printed card gives me hope that we'll start seeing Phyrexians as villains again soon, since it takes them a while to develop new sets.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I'm so happy they printed one for New Phyrexia and I'm even more happy it's incredible.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I love that it looks like Elesh Norn.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

That might might be playable in modern tron, 5(11) is a lot to protect your lands but it might seen play.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I still can't get over the color frame on the left side of the card being shorter than the color frame on the right side of the card. Why. Why did they do that.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

edit: wait no I see it too... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

I still can't get over the color frame on the left side of the card being shorter than the color frame on the right side of the card. Why. Why did they do that.

It would be really funny if it were actually solely to piss people off. Questionable from a business perspective, but hilarious nonetheless.

• Locked thread