Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

vOv posted:

Haha, what?

Hope they printed this just to troll players into thinking fetches are coming back in the fall set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Hope they printed this just to troll players into thinking fetches are coming back in the fall set.

God, how I wish this post hadn't fallen to a new page, given the post that it immediately followed.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Jabor posted:

Fetches confirmed for Ducks block?

Printing a shuffle-hoser here makes sense if they expect players to be doing a lot of shuffling over the next little while.

It's an outside design so Fetches played no part in it's design/placement.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Kind of late to this, but I like how the flavor behind In Garruk's Wake seems to basically just be "Garruk came over and murdered -everything- you cared about." Specifically Garruk with his axe cutting through a bunch of heroes and monsters and gods and planeswalkers, just to clear a path.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
From that Forsythe article, this:

quote:

For extra story-filled goodness, we've also included a certain legendary mythic rare artifact that has had a role in making Garruk the man he is today.

Sort of hints at a reprint, but I don't remember storywise if any of the legendary mythic rare artifacts (and there aren't many) were involved. One is a double-sided card, so that's not happening.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Somehow won round 1 2-0, but I'm still not sure if the draft is even watchable given the number of frames I'm dropping.

Sarcastro posted:

Sort of hints at a reprint, but I don't remember storywise if any of the legendary mythic rare artifacts (and there aren't many) were involved. One is a double-sided card, so that's not happening.

I would presume it's the Chain Veil.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sarcastro posted:

I think it's a reference to the Chain Veil getting a card. It does have "art" on some new Top 8 playmat. E: Thanks Bugsy-

Bugsy posted:

I'm really sure its going to be the veil.

vOv posted:

Haha, what?

Yeah, 10 life is a shitload but I can't help but think it would be a much better card at 3BB with 1-2 life lost per search.

Also I have no idea how to feel about new Nissa. A 4/4 trampler each turn is respectable but I keep seeing the nightmare scenario of

"I ult for every land in my deck and am coming to kill you next turn!"
"OK, on my turn I Verdict/Mortars/DoJ etc."

But I guess green is the least likely color to have mana trouble, plus if you ult for that many lands when an opposing Wrath is possible you might deserve it? That untap ability is really good though, I think that will be the most used ability on the card.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 26, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sarcastro posted:

I thought that was a reference to the Chain Veil which doesn't exist yet as a card.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

C-Euro posted:

I think it's a reference to the Chain Veil getting a card.

Makes sense.

Since the forums were down, didn't see this in here yet:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/win-ultimate-trophy-2014-06-22

Kind of fun.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

vOv posted:

Haha, what?

When I saw this guy I just sort of nodded and found a slot for him in the shadowborn apostle-based Athreos deck.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

tzirean posted:

I would presume it's the Chain Veil.

The Chain Veil or his hat. One of those two things.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, 10 life is a shitload but I can't help but think it would be a much better card at 3BB with 1-2 life lost per search.

I'm just gonna cheat it out early in Commander and have every ramp filled green deck hate the gently caress out of me.

"You want to Cultivate into Solemn Simulacrum? Sure, 20 life sounds about fair."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

vOv posted:

Haha, what?

Somewhere, sometime, someone is going to take 13 to crack a fetch for a shock and still come out ahead.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

I kinda figured it would be a target for Reanimator. Get this guy out turn 1 or 2 against a non-white deck and you probably win.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

qbert posted:

I'm just gonna cheat it out early in Commander and have every ramp filled green deck hate the gently caress out of me.

"You want to Cultivate into Solemn Simulacrum? Sure, 20 life sounds about fair."

Ob Nixilis has made me want to make a Maralen of the Moonsong commander deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Red-Black gently caress You with Ob and Soldier of Fortune.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Entropic posted:

That doesn't do anything.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

Somewhere, sometime, someone is going to take 13 to crack a fetch for a shock and still come out ahead.

hopefully they're using that shock to cast Green Sun's Zenith, which gets them even further ahead

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

Shuffle is not search.

You want Fertilid and Collective Voyage as forced searches.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

hopefully they're using that shock to cast Green Sun's Zenith, which gets them even further ahead

Well then they're playing Shocks in legacy so they'll probably lose anyway.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Zorak posted:

The Chain Veil or his hat. One of those two things.

Is Garruk's helmet a card? I think his axe is...

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Ob is great for my Prossh deck, especially because one of the people I play with has a Karametra deck :getin:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I'm really sure its going to be the veil.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

suicidesteve posted:

Well then they're playing Shocks in legacy so they'll probably lose anyway.

Also I didn't realize that it triggers on searching, not shuffling so it didn't make sense anyway.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

On a side note, I really missed this thread, tried to use MTGSalvation but it is the worst website for mtg opinions I have ever seen. Some of the primers are good though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Skillface posted:

Ob is great for my Prossh deck, especially because one of the people I play with has a Karametra deck :getin:

Karametra's trigger is a "may" so they'll just not use it once Ob hits the field.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

What a Judas posted:

That doesn't do anything.

Derp.

Are there any ways other than Maralen to force your opponent search their library? Even Path to Exile's search is optional.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

Derp.

Are there any ways other than Maralen to force your opponent search their library? Even Path to Exile's search is optional.

You want Fertilid and Collective Voyage as the only other forced searches.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

A weird interaction, but having Ob out makes it really bad for your opponent to Deicide your God, since it's a forced search if they do.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

C-Euro posted:

Also I have no idea how to feel about new Nissa. A 4/4 trampler each turn is respectable but I keep seeing the nightmare scenario of

"I ult for every land in my deck and am coming to kill you next turn!"
"OK, on my turn I Verdict/Mortars/DoJ etc."

But I guess green is the least likely color to have mana trouble, plus if you ult for that many lands when an opposing Wrath is possible you might deserve it? That untap ability is really good though, I think that will be the most used ability on the card.

Only the lands that you searched for get destroyed, so you still have lands in play. It doesn't seem that bad for you. They had to spend a card, and you won't draw a dead land for the rest of the game.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

qbert posted:

A weird interaction, but having Ob out makes it really bad for your opponent to Deicide your God, since it's a forced search if they do.

Not that I don't do this every spoiler season myself, but read the card again. Only hits opponents who search their own libraries.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

qbert posted:

"Their" library.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

LordSaturn posted:

Not that I don't do this every spoiler season myself, but read the card again. Only hits opponents who search their own libraries.

Oooh. Aw well.

In that case, it makes it bad for them to ultimate Jace?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I can't be the only one mildly surprised slivers are sticking around after how utterly anemic their appearance in M14 turned out to be.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Will this super standard be the first time three different versions of a walker have been playable in the same standard?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Aren't there only 7 total new slivers though? One in each color, the likely 5-color mythic, plus the land? I assume the main reasons for the return are A) to let people mess around with casual sliver decks in Superstandard for a bit and B) as an apology for M14.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Mr. Peepers posted:

I can't be the only one mildly surprised slivers are sticking around after how utterly anemic their appearance in M14 turned out to be.

I kind of digged how they interacted in draft. They didn't overpower the format, but they could add some well-needed bodies if you were running short, and the natural synergy was nice. They definitely had no staying power in constructed though, but I don't think they intended them to go the distance. Slivers are so so Timmy.

I'm excited to see what Slivers we have coming.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

whydirt posted:

Aren't there only 7 total new slivers though? One in each color, the likely 5-color mythic, plus the land? I assume the main reasons for the return are A) to let people mess around with casual sliver decks in Superstandard for a bit and B) as an apology for M14.

It'd be nice if they reprinted some of other common slivers, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Samael posted:

On a side note, I really missed this thread, tried to use MTGSalvation but it is the worst website for mtg opinions I have ever seen. Some of the primers are good though.

Basically the same experience on the MTG subreddit. I want to see THIS thread's wildly inaccurate predictions and card evaluations during spoiler week, drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Is Ob Nihilus strong enough to include in Modern against decks running multiple fetches? That's a serious effect.

• Locked thread