Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Part 3 is getting a dub

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-06-23/1st-3-jojo-bizarre-adventure-stardust-crusaders-episodes-english-dubbed/.75870

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I still can't believe that's a thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hace posted:

I still can't believe that's a thing.

And you said you didn't think there'd be one.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm gonna be slightly miffed if Joseph doesn't have an English accent

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't understand why he would given the dude identifies as American.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't understand why he would given the dude identifies as American.

Identifying as an American doesn't change the accent :colbert:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Beef Waifu posted:

And you said you didn't think there'd be one.

Look man you know as well as I do about how insane this whole thing is. Especially since we're only 10 episodes into the fuckin show!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hace posted:

Look man you know as well as I do about how insane this whole thing is. Especially since we're only 10 episodes into the fuckin show!

I am not disagreeing in any way that this weird and nuts and I had my wallet ready to buy all of the Part 1 and 2 DVDs/Blu-Rays, but I am also all in on this and am curious as to where this is heading and what this means.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Norisuke is quickly becoming one of my favorite Jojo characters.

Same.

I love how quickly he transitioned from "probably the main villain" to "goofy ally character".

Also, drat that chapter made me hungry for melon :ohdear:

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

FirstAidKite posted:

Identifying as an American doesn't change the accent :colbert:

Accents fade away the longer you live in another country. Look at Schwarzennegar, what's left of his accent is hammed up and he even took vocal classes to better retain it some years ago because of how iconic it was, but it was fading away naturally.

And Joseph's been living in America since his youth.

Angry Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 26, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Beef Waifu posted:

I am not disagreeing in any way that this weird and nuts and I had my wallet ready to buy all of the Part 1 and 2 DVDs/Blu-Rays, but I am also all in on this and am curious as to where this is heading and what this means.

Obviously this is all leading up to JoJo airing on Toonami in 2014

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Wish I knew who was voicing Kakyoin but Richard Epcar as Old Joey Jojo is a perfect choice.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I never know what to think about Norisuke. One minute he's all nice, then the next, he's all threatening and "Grr, I'm the Alpha Male! Grrr! Oh, check this cool thing out."

A lot of the chapter was him showing off, kind of showing Gappy how cool his stuff is. I just don't know what to think!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hace posted:

If JoJo airs on Toonami then my 7 years of hoping for JoJo to finally be notable in the west in some capacity will be realized. Oh man, I did not think we would ever get to this point. All hail Viz Media.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Accents fade with age and language experience, so I guess it's ok. But no Enlgish accent for DIO is a crime. As is the fact that Tim Curry isn't voicing him.

I'm guessing DIO's voice will be similar to Dhaos, who's the same sort of villain archetype as him and voiced by Partick Seitz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bvlqOgqRzc
And here's Dhaos beating up Johnny Yong Bosch in terrible quality

Joseph's VA, Richard Epcar, voiced Batou in Ghost in the Shell. I can see his voice fitting for old Joseph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNuL8cVxXMA

I'm not terribly familiar with Matthew Mercer (Jotaro) outside of Alvin, so here's a bunch of voices he can do. Not a lot of them sound terribly Jotaro-ish to me, though. I personally like Jotaro's voice from the OVA, cardboard acting or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V_Ts9YelBI

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think Tim Curry has ever done voice acting for an anime in his entire career. Also Dio doesn't need an accent, he's not thought of a person in Part 3 let alone as someone with a nationality.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Hace posted:

This is actually pretty likely. The first season is reportedly the thing they've seen the most requests for in years, plus Viz already has a working relationship with Williams Street.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Patrick Seitz was dracula in a bunch of the recent-but-pre-lords-of-shadow castlevania games so he's probably gonna do an ok dio

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

New JoJolion is out

This entire chapter is just amazing and I'm glad we're past the yotsuyu fight now because we get more crazy family interaction stuff. Also thanks araki for giving us another amazing recipe page

Yeah, that was a fun chapter. With the monthly nature I often find the plot doesn't seem to move very fast at all, but it felt like a fair bit actually transpired this chapter, even with a lot of time devoted to Parfaits.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I really wanted to sperg about the ending of part 4, but the forums went down the day i finished it, and my reaction's died down. I'd say part 4 is my favorite so far, and I'm really sad to have seen it end. It felt like it could have just kept going on and on. I'm also presently surprised that non of the really main characters died a horrible death this time around. Part 4 was just fun overall, and I'm currently reading part 5. I'm up to one of the Sex Pistols chapters right now, and I'm really liking it. Why is part 5 one of the least liked parts outside of Japan?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Giorno is as dull as his hair is fabulous, and the end of it gets really confusing due to bad translation and Araki's writing flaws.

To be fair, Part V is one of my favorite parts and has some excellent fights, but there are a lot of problems with it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Giorno is as dull as his hair is fabulous, and the end of it gets really confusing due to bad translation and Araki's writing flaws.

To be fair, Part V is one of my favorite parts and has some excellent fights, but there are a lot of problems with it.

I think Bruno being amazing makes up for Giorno being dull, for the most part.

Bruno is really loving cool

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Giorno and Johnny are pretty much in the same boat, where they are the JoJo of their story but not actually the main character for a while. For most of Part 5, Giorno is basically just there to get the story started while Bruno actually gets stuff done.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I'm halfway through Vento Oreos and Sticky Fingers is currently my favourite stand. Giorno on the other hand has barely done anything and he's definitely not as good a character as the rest of the cast.

Also not sure what to make of the living stands. Echoes III being able to talk came out of nowhere and Part V has been introducing even more like Sex Pistols and Purple Haze.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Remember that Anubis wasn't just a living stand but a stand that possessed dudes. Some people have soulmans who are Chatty Cathies. Some dudes have four testicles. Jojo is all about recognizing our differences and our diversity.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Butt Ghost posted:

I really wanted to sperg about the ending of part 4, but the forums went down the day i finished it, and my reaction's died down. I'd say part 4 is my favorite so far, and I'm really sad to have seen it end. It felt like it could have just kept going on and on. I'm also presently surprised that non of the really main characters died a horrible death this time around. Part 4 was just fun overall, and I'm currently reading part 5. I'm up to one of the Sex Pistols chapters right now, and I'm really liking it. Why is part 5 one of the least liked parts outside of Japan?

Having reread part four's ending since it got retranslated I still like it but I especially like it from a civilian perspective where some dad just makes triangles at a badly wounded schoolkid until he goes home.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lynx Winters posted:

Giorno and Johnny are pretty much in the same boat, where they are the JoJo of their story but not actually the main character for a while. For most of Part 5, Giorno is basically just there to get the story started while Bruno actually gets stuff done.

Johnny is cool as hell though and he's a really unique Jojo and he gets actual character development.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

My scans of part 5 just transitioned to the bad translation. This is nearly unreadable. I mean, everything's in English, but not in any way that makes sense. I feel like they just translated this super-literally. I'm surprised that this is an Ignition One gig. I don't recall their translations of parts 1 and 2 being nearly this bad.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 26, 2014

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm hoping with all of my soul that someone redoes Part 5. My heart won't let me read 6 without reading 5, the only reason I was able to go on to 7 and 8 was because of the universe reset.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wasn't there a team that released some redone Part 5 before falling prey to the ills of online translation teams?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Butt Ghost posted:

My scans of part 5 just transitioned to the bad translation. This is nearly unreadable. I mean, everything's in English, but not in any way that makes sense. I feel like they just translated this super-literally. I'm surprised that this is an Ignition One gig. I don't recall their translations of parts 1 and 2 being nearly this bad.

It's not Ignition One, batoto is stupid and labels it that way, they're scans from Veggie's Jojo Page (Rest in peace). Ignition One only did parts 1, 2 and the first 3 or so volumes of part 7.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Wasn't there a team that released some redone Part 5 before falling prey to the ills of online translation teams?

We don't talk about that.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Butt Ghost posted:

They only get worse, they even remove a characters equivalent to ORAORAORA and replace it with a single generic line (in a giant word baloon so it looks obviously cut short). There's a lot of opinion reasons that people can like part 5 less then other parts (same with any part), but these goddamn scans are the main reason so many people are down on it in the west.

As for the good translation group, they actually released an entire chapter kinda recently (before having the main/only person get injured and unable to work on it, lol)

Patware posted:

I'm hoping with all of my soul that someone redoes Part 5. My heart won't let me read 6 without reading 5, the only reason I was able to go on to 7 and 8 was because of the universe reset.
nothing in part 5 is brought up in part 6 beyond a single line of "I wonder where giorno is?" said by the narrator. You aren't really losing anything by skipping it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Part 5 has the least to do with the overall story but it does feature the return of a certain Frenchman aka the best part 3 non-Jojo character.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Butt Ghost posted:

If I'm correct in recalling my JoJo trivia, it isn't translated super-literally, but rather the exact opposite. Like, the people doing the translations outright couldn't read Japanese with anywhere near the level of fluency demanded by a translation project, leading to them doing a lot of :effort: stuff and outright making poo poo up because they couldn't read the words on the page well enough. And not even in an endearing way, like the duwang guys, just in an incredibly :geno: way.

That's the reason why, for instance, nobody in the English-speaking world knows how King Crimson works.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't worry we might actually get an official Part 5 translation provided JoJo manages to survive long enough in the west.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I think I unironically want Bryce Papenbrook to voice Johnny, for some reason it just fits perfectly in my head. Hopefully his voice won't change in 10 years!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm gonna beat the poo poo out of the President!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I've gotta spin faster...!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Well Manicured Man posted:

That's the reason why, for instance, nobody in the English-speaking world knows how King Crimson works.

You mean nobody in the whole world, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kAMeHVzBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Part 5 has the least to do with the overall story but it does feature the return of a certain Frenchman aka the best part 3 non-Jojo character.
Oh, you mean the main character of part 3? I'm pretty sure he got more focus than any other character, and I'm A-okay with that.

• Locked thread