Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

1. NA Annual was loving beautiful. Like holy poo poo make that team do a Strange mini or something.

2. NA was awesome. We FINALLY get the fight and a pleasant reveal regarding Strange only for him to say gently caress it I did something as worse. I can't wait for the repercussions from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Gushing so much over all the NA awesomeness we got this week. The annual was BEAUTIFUL, it just conveyed that crazy magic astral plane demon psychedelic nonsense perfectly instead of the usual spreads of Strange firing magic lasers against other magic lasers artwork that we get. Blood magic Strange doing the Black Priest split consciousness stuff in the annual, and him holding the priest mask at the end of NA, doesn't spell good things.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I certainly didn't expect Norn to end up being Not Timothy Hunter.

And yea, that Annual. More of that, please!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
A bit late to be saying this, but I find it funny how Hickman, in only one issue, painted a far more interesting picture of an Ultron-ruled future than Bendis did in a ten-issue event book with tons of leadup and tie-ins.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fred is on posted:

A bit late to be saying this, but I find it funny how Hickman, in only one issue, painted a far more interesting picture of an Ultron-ruled future than Bendis did in a ten-issue event book with tons of leadup and tie-ins.

Well, Bendis took the easy route and pretty much just did "Terminator but with less Holocaust imagery."

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
To be fair, Hickman has just been killing it lately. Bendis in his prime had as cool of ideas as this poo poo, he just takes way too long to do anything with them and has no idea what to do when he gets around to them.

Just hope we don't get 6 years of Hickman on Avengers and eventually he's just phoning it in.

Also please write a Strange book mr hickman. your dr strangerman has been the best. what a fantastic week for new avengers

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo that annual. I want every single page blown up to poster-size and then fill my house with that art. I wish he'd successfully performed the operation though, it was just so predictable. It juxtaposed beautifully with his victory over the super-demon , though.

As for NA, it seems that the Great Society was way above the Illuminati's power level (I didn't expect the Hulk to get laid out like a wimp by Sun God), but it turns out the Illuminati's secret weapon wasn't a Hulk, it was a Strange!

radlum
May 13, 2013
Were the Illuminati Bendis' idea? I always liked the concept and it's a pity we had to wait so many years before someone made great use of them. Hickman's work is amazing. The Annual was quite good as well; what else does Barbiere do? The art was amazing as well.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

radlum posted:

Were the Illuminati Bendis' idea? I always liked the concept and it's a pity we had to wait so many years before someone made great use of them. Hickman's work is amazing. The Annual was quite good as well; what else does Barbiere do? The art was amazing as well.

Illuminati was the best thing Bendis ever came up with. Even now when I read back, there's some Bendis speak but for the most part the issues are tight, the storyline is well plotted and the dialogue makes sense for each character. It seems like the only story he didn't conclude was the Beyonder plot, and in some of the cases like Marvel Boy or The Hood getting the Infinity Gauntlet he just plain hosed up, but I think as a lead in to Secret Invasion/Civil War, it's great stuff.

Also I loved how much better the fake JLA was then the Illuminati; that's always been one of my issues when people say things like "Hyperion is a superman clone" obviously the power set is the same, but Thor and Hyperion are still really only "Gods" in comparison to the earth level super heroes and even then they're far less powerful than a lot of "Cosmic Level" characters. Sun God took some shots from Hulk but obviously wasn't really much more than distracted. Norn and Panther were evenly matched just like you'd expect Batman and Black Panther to be. I'm pretty sure Iron Man has a speedster in his rogue's gallery but even guys like Quicksilver are far less fast than Flash so it makes sense that given he's essentially limited by the speed of light on his equipment he couldn't deal with someone faster than it.

I'm not a DC fan but I like that the relative scale of power levels was shown in such a nice comparison. Hickman wrote himself a solid out there by having their world's "sorcerer" not actually be trained in the art itself.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Leper Residue posted:

To be fair, Hickman has just been killing it lately. Bendis in his prime had as cool of ideas as this poo poo, he just takes way too long to do anything with them and has no idea what to do when he gets around to them.

Just hope we don't get 6 years of Hickman on Avengers and eventually he's just phoning it in.

Also please write a Strange book mr hickman. your dr strangerman has been the best. what a fantastic week for new avengers
I have good news and bad news: last month Hickman said he had about a year left on his Avengers run and the September solicits mention "8 months left".

I'd be really surprised if Hickman let things drag out. Going by his Secret Warriors and FF runs, the guy clearly functions from the outset with a beginning and an ending in mind.

To be fair, I wouldn't have thought Bendis had overstaid his welcome on Avengers if he had ended things with his first NA run, I still think it's a great run that got a bit long in the tooth in some of the latter arcs, but it worked and had a great ending. My biggest gripe is with his subsequent Avengers and New Avengers volumes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah Hickman said in a reddit AMA that his run ends May '15.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I think I remember Strange discussing delving into the book shown in this week's NA issue earlier (and discussing the cost of doing so), but can't remember the issue/scene. Anyone recall where that was shown?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

NA #13, the blood bible.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I went back and double-checked, looks like the scene with Wong and the Blood Bible I was thinking of was actually in NA #12:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fred is on posted:

The whole bit in the future of Ultron was so baffling though, the writing was just so completely underdeveloped and immature. I don't mean Bendis wrote it immaturely, I mean it doesn't feel fleshed out or developed. I might be remembering wrong, but the future squad just like flies above the robot super city, you get some great shots with Iron man's "could almost be foreshadowing of Gillen's run" reactions and then Ultron just murders them in the sky?

And that was it. It feels like the idea just never got off the drawing board and he never really gave Hitch (I think?) anything to work with.

I didn't really care for Hickman's Ultron-future thing, but it is certainly leagues and leagues more impactful than everything Bendis ever did with Ultron - and it does this without showing Ultron, which kinda disproves that Bendis' one big clear mistake is not really having Ultron in AoU, a theory I've seen thrown around.

But then NA was just amazing this week. At best, you're a curator.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

NA and the Annual ruled a whole lot. How does Strange come back from this? Poor guy.

Meanwhile, in the jam-packed Uncanny Avengers, Kang turns on the Avengers to the surprise of no one at all!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Madrox posted:

I went back and double-checked, looks like the scene with Wong and the Blood Bible I was thinking of was actually in NA #12:

Wrong book. What Strange summoned/did refers to another back which was shown all the way back in NA#4. Wong calls the book with the C'Thulu looking thing Blu'dakorr which is the title of NA#20. It actually even goes and sets up the failed deal for Godhood as touching the book "stains the soul". What I'm really curious is that when Strange presents his solution says it has roughly the same cost as the other plans involved, all of which meant one of the illuminati staying behind and/or dying.

EDIT: Actually I think the Blood Bible IS the Blu'dakorr so we're both right.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, I just cannot take any comic seriously that uses "aaieee" as a scream and the blame falls squarely on it being Seanbaby's stock scream for his parody comics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no Harry Potter!

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wrong book. What Strange summoned/did refers to another back which was shown all the way back in NA#4. Wong calls the book with the C'Thulu looking thing Blu'dakorr which is the title of NA#20. It actually even goes and sets up the failed deal for Godhood as touching the book "stains the soul". What I'm really curious is that when Strange presents his solution says it has roughly the same cost as the other plans involved, all of which meant one of the illuminati staying behind and/or dying.

EDIT: Actually I think the Blood Bible IS the Blu'dakorr so we're both right.

Thanks! I knew there was something prior to what I posted, just couldn't dig it up. It was bugging the crap out of me.

I think the cost of using spells from the book being the lives of men, ties back into what the Norn has been doing by sacrificing his alternate/future selves to draw power. I think that (or some version of it) is also what Strange uses in the annual. Strange splits himself. The demon there responds: "The Muntu Splitting of the Self. Such magic... What have you sacrificed for this power." Strange answers: "I have... Given... ALL."

Madrox fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 27, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Oh no Harry Potter!
I kind of wish that all of the items spilling out were all Horcrux analogues.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe
After this issue of New Avengers, I'm done with Hickman's Avengers. I just can't stand it anymore. The idea of a moral quandary doesn't work so well in fiction when I know that the writer created the quandary. I just have no interest in seeing them slaughter another team of heroes. The justification for keeping things secret was stupid when it started and the longer it has gone on, the less I care about the eventual reveal. The story is clearly the story of a group of people who started doing things in secret for the right reasons and how it eventually went off the rails, I just don't think its really a story I want in the Avengers.

Uncanny Avengers on the other hand keeps being amusing and great, with Kang's shocking yet inevitable betrayal.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Dr.Magnificent posted:

I just can't stand it anymore. The idea of a moral quandary doesn't work so well in fiction when I know that the writer created the quandary.

What? So, any fiction with a moral quandary then? That must keep you away from a staggering amount of novels, movies, and a lot of other media.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr.Magnificent posted:

. The story is clearly the story of a group of people who started doing things in secret for the right reasons and how it eventually went off the rails, I just don't think its really a story I want in the Avengers.

I am pretty sure that it can't be any clearer then when they had Steve say that to them in the third issue. You also know that it is planned out and the rest of the Avengers are not going to be very very pissed off. We have seen a little of it, but I expect that poo poo will be going down at the end of his run.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Magnificent posted:

The idea of a moral quandary doesn't work so well in fiction when I know that the writer created the quandary.
The nerve of those writers, coming up with ideas.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I have no idea what he's trying to say there. Of course the writer creates the quandary. He's the one writing the story!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I can't stand fiction where the author makes up a story. What's the point?

EDIT: Are you trying to say you aren't as interested in it because you can't relate to it? Like there would never be a point in your life where you would have to decide if you are gonna blow up some other Earth?

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 27, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What I think he's trying to say is that moral quandaries can feel contrived or frustrating when it seems like the writer is forcing all the pieces that make the situation so inescapably gray, whether those pieces fit or not. The whole ethical dilemma these characters face can be..."unsatisfying," I guess?...when the heroes were set up to fail by circumstances outside their control, whether in-text or out-of-text. It's like the end of Man of Steel where Superman is forced to kill Zod and people are like "Well what else was Zac Snyder supposed to have him do?" which ignores that Zac Snyder constructed the situation that led to Superman having to kill Zod in the first place. It's also the old "Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker????" nugget that writers like to play with (idiotically) every once in a while.

I can see shades of this in Hickman's New Avengers, but then I don't think it's that big a deal because it pales in comparison to stuff some other writers have put out...Bendis, just for instance. Every single thing Bendis writes seems to fall headlong into this problem.

On the contrary I think Hickman has set up this specific dilemma of the Incursions pretty well. Maybe too well. I just don't want him to have to end up writing an easy way out like using the power of friendship and teamwork or something. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I was totally down with Marvel vs. DC 2: Non-copyright infringement boogaloo, but the end totally lost me. So Doc Strange can't sell his soul but can go Black Priest mode because he... saw a doodle of Cthulhu in his Blood Bible book? And why did Dr. Fate the Norn go down so easy? I mean, we've seen him go hyper mode and push back a universe. Is jobbing just a multiversal constant among Sorcerors Supreme and so one of them just had to take the fall? Somebody that follows all this junk closer help me out here.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TwoPair posted:

So I was totally down with Marvel vs. DC 2: Non-copyright infringement boogaloo, but the end totally lost me. So Doc Strange can't sell his soul but can go Black Priest mode because he... saw a doodle of Cthulhu in his Blood Bible book? And why did Dr. Fate the Norn go down so easy? I mean, we've seen him go hyper mode and push back a universe. Is jobbing just a multiversal constant among Sorcerors Supreme and so one of them just had to take the fall? Somebody that follows all this junk closer help me out here.

The Norn wasn't actually a Sorcerer Supreme, he was just a guy that had a bunch of magic items and knew how to activate them. So when Strange used the words of the Black Priests he was able to see that the Norn didn't actually command any magic power.

Sort of like imagine a wizard is fighting a rogue with a ton of magic items, the Wizard might think the Rogue is a magician until he realizes that the Rogue isn't casting the spells, he's just using the magic items to do what they've been designed/enchanted to do.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He didn't use the words of the black priests. He used the words of like, whatever the term for lovecraftian horrors from beyond the veil are called in Marvel. When the Norn used the words of the black priests they weren't in english.

At least that was my take. That could be the beginning of it, or it could imply he went a different way. Maybe Hickman is going to really surprise us by the end.

Also as an aside it is specifically stated the Norn used at least half his strength blowing up that planet.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spiderdrake posted:

He didn't use the words of the black priests. He used the words of like, whatever the term for lovecraftian horrors from beyond the veil are called in Marvel. When the Norn used the words of the black priests they weren't in english.

Words of Power are Words of Power, no matter the language. That's the worrying part. His failed deal would have effectively made him a god, at the cost of his soul. The alternative, abandoning his soul to the powers of the Blood Bible, pretty much is going to turn him into the opposite, a devil, or lovecraftian horror, and isn't that what the Black Priests are in the end?

It's like we saw in the previous Avengers arc with the proto-Mapmakers. Design principles essentially led to the same end result. Strange now has the mask, the words of power, and (as we saw in the annual) the ability to split into numerous selves.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 27, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just recall that scene where he came back from that other realm, and we were all lead to believe he gave up his whole soul. He spoke some other language to Namor, so now I'm wondering why he did that if he came back as himself.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

IUG posted:

I just recall that scene where he came back from that other realm, and we were all lead to believe he gave up his whole soul. He spoke some other language to Namor, so now I'm wondering why he did that if he came back as himself.

Strange tries to sell his soul, fails, resorts to blood bible, is now black magic scary as poo poo strange, comes back, Namor seems him, speaks a word of power which is now his language. We're only getting the phonetic interpretation cause Hickman wants us to know that they are the same thing.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You know the twist is probably going to be that the bomb the Illuminati left on earth is actually set to blow up their earth if they fail.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

hope and vaseline posted:

Strange tries to sell his soul, fails, resorts to blood bible, is now black magic scary as poo poo strange, comes back, Namor seems him, speaks a word of power which is now his language. We're only getting the phonetic interpretation cause Hickman wants us to know that they are the same thing.

I think he still sold part of his soul. I think they were powering him up and too SOME of it away.

Also, the Norn is totally a kid.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
I wasn't sure if I understood why they wouldn't sell Strange god power, is his soul compromised cause he hosed with the blood bible? Or is that a mystery yet to be revealed?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Buddington posted:

I wasn't sure if I understood why they wouldn't sell Strange god power, is his soul compromised cause he hosed with the blood bible? Or is that a mystery yet to be revealed?

His soul is stained because of the blood bible, yes.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Madrox posted:

What? So, any fiction with a moral quandary then? That must keep you away from a staggering amount of novels, movies, and a lot of other media.

Ok this was poorly worded on my part. It doesn't feel earned. They go directly to murdering Earths as an acceptable option from the get go. And we all know its a truly bad idea, and will go wrong. I'm supposed to feel tension as it builds to the climax, but I'm just finding it boring and time wasting. I'm not saying Hickman is a bad writer or even that the run is bad, just that I'm not enjoying it. I'll give it another try when its finished, maybe I'll enjoy it more when its a complete work, that did happen with Hickman's Fantastic Four run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Ok this was poorly worded on my part. It doesn't feel earned. They go directly to murdering Earths as an acceptable option from the get go. And we all know its a truly bad idea, and will go wrong. I'm supposed to feel tension as it builds to the climax, but I'm just finding it boring and time wasting. I'm not saying Hickman is a bad writer or even that the run is bad, just that I'm not enjoying it. I'll give it another try when its finished, maybe I'll enjoy it more when its a complete work, that did happen with Hickman's Fantastic Four run.

Except they're not? They're exhausting every possibility until they have to do it. This is the first instance where they'll actually be destroying a populated earth. Yes they've built an arsenal, and just the act of doing it implies deafeatism, but they are trying, but the odds are kind of stacked.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 29, 2014

• Locked thread