Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

laz0rbeak posted:

I just read this Babinsack article and need this translated into English:

What the gently caress is he talking about?
I think he's talking about King Kong Bundy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Some idiot on Reddit posted:

As it stands, the WWE product just isn't that good right now. RoH, Chikara, and NJPW are putting on clinics compared to what the WWE is doing. If they could gain traction with the main audience and buy a guy like CM Punk, they could pose a serious threat to this very vulnerable WWE product. Wrestling is cyclical and the WWE is back in 1992 right now. Jarrett's new promotion just signed a talent agreement with NJPW. The nWo gimmick started with the UWF invasion angle in NJPW...this is not a coincidence.

Yes, I'm sure Vince is SOOOOPER worried about Chikara and Global Force Wrestling (#Jointheforce) toppling his gigantic media empire.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Remember when Herb Abrams invaded New Japan?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

wrestling is cyclical

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Chikara just needs to buy CM Punk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dsriggs posted:

Chikara just needs to buy CM Punk

Maybe his old buddy Mike Quackenbush can ask for a favor!

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

oatgan posted:

wrestling is cyclical

It's not a coincidence.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe his old buddy Mike Quackenbush can ask for a favor!

Yeah, this is just what I thought. Of all the promotions in all the world, the one LEAST likely to entice Punk is Chikara. Hell, I'd expect Punk to just stroll out on the next Raw more than seeing him even in the same room as Mike Quackenbush.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Punk is going to spend the next few years doing charity events for pro sports teams in Chicago hth fellas.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mob posted:

Punk is going to spend the next few years doing charity events for pro sports teams in Chicago hth fellas.

those losers were made for each other

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bear down

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

MassRafTer posted:

Remember when Herb Abrams invaded New Japan?

This would actually explain why Osamu Kido looked like he was always covered in Vaseline.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
About Brock winning the title at Summerslam

quote:

Brock winning the belt would be the biggest gently caress you to all the talent in the company that busts their rear end and will never get a fair shot, so of course he'd win it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

achillesforever6 posted:

About Brock winning the title at Summerslam

the best possible outcome

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This cracked me up.

quote:

Hey Dave,

I'm going to skip the Best of the Night / Worst of the Night and giving you my thumbs. It's all irrelevant. I was an avid ROH fan from the company's inception and watched/followed it religiously until shortly after the departure of Gabe Sapolsky. I didn't stop watching ROH because of an allegiance to a booker, I stopped because frankly it got to the point that once you've seen one ROH show, you've seen them all. So tonight, Ring of Honor made its debut on traditional live Sunday pay per view and I learned that not a single thing has changed in the many years since I stopped following it. Tonight's show was exactly every single ROH show you have ever seen: The production quality was sub-par, the entrance music was generic garage-band crap, the announcing was terrible, the booking lacked intelligence, the audio was terrible, the crowd was self serving, and every single wrestler on the show tried to steal the show to their own detriment (with the exception of two men - Kazarian and Daniels).

Let's talk production:
TNA is a terribly run company with terrible booking, but they LOOK like a professional wrestling company that cares about not looking second rate. The same can not be said about ROH and Sinclair. The lighting for ROH's big debut on PPV was terrible, the shadows in the ring are distracting and when the ringside camera men shoot into the ring you are blinded by these spotlights that are set up in the four corners of the ringside area. To make matters worse, they would show clips of their recent show in New York, which had a fully lit arena and it looked 10 times better. Advice to ROH, make room in your budget for production because image is everything and quite frankly the image ROH portrays is that of a second rate company.

Let's talk booking:
I paid $25 pay per view and there wasn't a single storyline or feud that came to an end, no bang for my buck. This was cookie cutter booking at it's best, and it shows that whoever is calling the shots these days doesn't have a single imaginative idea in their mind. If truth martini's body guard stopped Truth from running away before the match, what would cause her to break the handcuffs at the end of the match so he could escape? So Martini escapes the wrath of Taven, no payoff. Roderick Strong and Alexander had a decent match, but once again Strong continues to disrespect the young guy that just beat him at his own game, no payoff. Steen and Young a decent match, and after the passionate speech from Steen he is left laying by Young, No Payoff. reDRagon beats Bad Influence using a number of underhanded tactics, yet the grizzled veterans shook their hands and let them know they weren't done with them...once again no payoff. My biggest gripe with the booking on this show was the entire main event. Early in the show they show a video from a recent event in which Cole and Bennett tied Elgin up cut his hair and then put HIS WIFE in a figure four leg lock. So before their big Grudge Match...Elgin offers to shake this man's hand...ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?!?!?! In what universe is one man hurting your wife and humiliating you and then you offer to shake his hand prior to your big match?

Let's talk working:
Can someone please show these guys how to sell in the ring? Maybe Kazarian could show them how it's done because he sold an arm injury during his match and they USED it as part of the finish...BRILLIANT!!!! Flash forward to the main event, in the final moments of this absolute overbooked circus of a war for the world title, Adam Cole decides to attack the leg of Elgin. So after like 3 moves on Elgin's leg, the guy starts selling like he will never be able to walk again. He stumbles across the ring and Cole kicks him in the face to start the final sequence in which Elgin miraculously regains full strength of his lower body and hits three power bombs for the win. The truth is, 90 percent of these guys don't care about selling, they don't care about psychology, they don't care about telling a story, they care about feeding the idiots in the crowd that only care about watching flips and high spots. Wrestling is like painting, the good stuff takes time and in the end the picture is clear or interesting. ROH matches are the equivalent of an artist taking a bucket of paint and just throwing it at the canvas and seeing what the end result is.

My Final Take Away:
ROH is what it always has been...pro wrestling on crack. I don't feel like they stole $25 from me, but I don't feel obliged to purchase their next pay per view offering or television show because I have about 45 DVD's from their earlier days that have identical shows. ROH is a company filled with guys who really only care about catching the attention of the bigger wrestling promotions. It's an independent promotion and from what I saw tonight, they will be viewed in that light for the foreseeable future.

Brent Gillett
Madison, Wisconsin

It's funny because ROH shows changed a great deal right before he says he stopped watching and they weren't using garage band music then either. That and the main event capped off a year long storyline which apparently didn't happen on this show!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 26, 2014

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
From this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVEYI2DxUU8

quote:

Stardust is Cody Rhodes

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Reddit reacts to TNA doing their biggest show of the year in the ~2,000 seat Korakuen Hall:

+93 posted:

drat, didn't see that coming. Certainly a step in the right direction.
Certainly!

+38 posted:

It's a bold move. If they can book a decent build, this could be TNA's biggest PPV draw in years.
He's probably right, in fairness...

+37 posted:

2000 wrestling fans sound a lot better then 2000 casuals.
Filthy casuals!!! :argh:

+58 posted:

Jeeeeezus! I think it might be the first time ever that Bound for Glory actually sounds like TNA's biggest PPV of the year, thanks to this announcement alone.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
TNAMecca:

quote:

Quote from our homeboy Will at the #TNANYC taping tonight: "Crowd is loving insane and they are not full of smarks. They are a #TNA crowd"

Crowd proceeds to chant for ROH, CM Punk, Young Bucks etc.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
When TNA dies, can we have a live thread for TNAMecca reactions?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Filthy casuals!!! :argh:

That's my favourite one. As if WRESTLING FAN money is any more green than casual money.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

That's crazy, like Brandi said, Cody doesn't wear contacts. Stardust does. If Cody put in contacts to become Stardust, he wouldn't be able to SEE. :colbert:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Perigryn posted:

When TNA dies, can we have a live thread for TNAMecca reactions?

I'm sure they'll all just follow everyone to Jarrett's fed and consider it TNA 2.0 anyway.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I've been rumbled:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

I've been rumbled:

Excuse me rovert, these comments are clearly off the record.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I agree, WWE should book WrestleMania to be a joint show with a place like All Japan in the less than 2k seat arena, Korakuen Hall.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

HulkaMatt posted:

I agree, WWE should book WrestleMania to be a joint show with a place like All Japan in the less than 2k seat arena, Korakuen Hall.

I think TNAMecca and Asylum are the free republic of the wrestling world. :freep:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

I kind of want them to announce they're running the Tokyo Dome in conjunction with New Japan, the same weekend, just to see the TNA zealots try and convince themselves their show will be bigger.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

rovert posted:

I've been rumbled:

Yikes!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I apologise for passing them off as something they are not. I am sorry guys.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

I apologise for passing them off as something they are not. I am sorry guys.

Rubbing hot oil on myself and reading TNAMecca sounds like a fun time, can you recommend it?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

"You're a smark if you have literally any opinion on John Cena, now here's my opinion: JON SENA SUX THUMBS UP IF U AGRE"

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

quote:

I checked out on TNA the episode after they went "head to head" with Raw and Hogan came back. For some reason, I checked out the most recent PPV and loved it. I know it isn't consistent with their tv product - but, I've heard more TNA talk in the past two weeks than I feel like i've heard in the past two years.
I really hope they head in the direction it looks like they may be headed (a "territory" like, physical actual wrestling promotion.)
I know we will get a lot of lolTNA comments and people saying they've been burned too many times before. But, I'm really rooting for these guys because I would love to watch a great wrestling show with decent production values.

quote:

As you can clearly read from the comments below, people are willing to sit through the worst WWE shows every single year (of which they have many), but won't tune in to TNA because "oh, I'm sure it will be bad again in a few weeks", or will quickly dismiss everything because of the bad, disregarding the good.
That's called bias, my friend.

quote:

It certainly feels like they're listening to fans at the very least. Everyone can say what they will, but I've been enjoying this roster since they dumped all the older vets. TNA finally has a different feel to it, apart from the storylines.

quote:

Wow, lots of doubt in this thread. Here's the way I look at it: I loved to laugh at TNA for the past few years. But when it was announced that MVP was out of the main event & that they would do qualifying rounds for a spot in a caged 3 way my interest rose. I had nothing to do the following Sunday & my girlfriend was in town (she loves wrestling). So we checked it out. And liked it a lot. No more, no less. We're in the North East so we were gonna by tickets to the NYC shows. Some things complicated it & we weren't able to make it. But from what I've heard so far I know I'll definitely be checking out Impact.
TLDR: I hated TNA, now I have interest in them to where I'll commit to watching the show & buying tickets when I can. Isn't that what they're trying to accomplish?

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Since when does smark mean anything like what he describes, I thought it pretty much meant adults who are way too into the product and keep up on backstage stuff (ie everyone here)

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

That article was written by a full-sized Hornswaggle. Let's not tear down his writing/opinions/chikara-fandom. Let's just celebrate his existence.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Via a TNA shooter:
https://twitter.com/andre_corbeil/status/482635028388917248/photo/1

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I posted this earlier today here and on twitter and hoped just one person would be fooled but mostly that people would see it and laugh. Keep in mind previous and subsequent tweets stated this was not real. What I got was so much better than expected:

Rovert kindly obliged me and retweeted, a few hours later...

Props to rovert. Jayson then blocked me and posted a tweet about what an idiot I am. I'm sure he'll feel smart at the end of the PPV. Or maybe he just clicked on my twitter and saw several tweets where I said it was just a photoshop and got really angry.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
A reaction to Cole calling Cena the greatest WWE Champion of all time

quote:

I'm sayin' man. That drives me nuts.

He's not the greatest. Not by a long shot. He's the guy they WANT to be the greatest, but he's not. And I like Cena, but he has become everything that's wrong with the company. No risk taking. Overprotecting talent who don't need the rub while squandering young talent like Sandow, Ziggler and Rhodes for reasons that are unexplanable. Trying to force a star down our throat instead of letting the crowd react and letting it happen organically.

The whole reason why have the Cena we have now is that from the start of when the crowd begun booing him in 2005 until loving NOW, they just shrug their shoulders and say "that's just fans being fans", instead of trying to delve into WHY people are booing this guy who is supposed to be their Superman. But people hate the invincible, nye undestructible, infallible version of Supes. Only when Superman shows so modicum of humanity do people give the guy his props for being fuckig awesome.

Cena needs to evolve. They won't turn the fucker heel, and they won't have him give into an edgier side of him that all told is closer to the REAL Cena. So we're stuck with this assclown that the WWE trumpets as "the best" until John retires, probably.

Christ...even Hulk Hogan knew he had to turn heel, and he basically did everything possible to protect himself. Turning heel was a HUGE risk, but he saw the dollar signs and he jumped on loving board, and if did breathe no life into his character, no matter how briefly it was before his ego took over good story telling.

Uugggghhh!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That's a pretty common fan opinion, not really a stupid one. Cena does need something to change, even if it isn't a heel turn.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I finally figured it out, Joe Babinsack is a Gonzo journalist.

quote:

DVD Review: Breaking Kayfabe With Troy "Shane Douglas" Martin

Thursday, 03 July 2014 05:00

By Joe Babinsack

As anyone should imagine, a shoot interview with Troy Martin, better known to the hardcore world as Shane Douglas, is full of controversy, strong opinions and difficult (personal) subjects. I found the interview quite interesting, but writing about it isn’t as easy as I figured.

There are aspects of reviewing that always cause some twisting and turning and finding the proper perspective. As I told Sean Oliver when I got the message about access to this documentary, Shane’s a Western Pennsylvania talent. I know I reach a bit to call myself talented, but I am a Western Pennsylvania kid, grew up in the same sort of rust belt steel mill towns, went to the same sort of schools, and even spent some time in Beaver County, where Martin taught one of my sisters-in-law, and where my wife hails from.

Perspective and cynicism are often conflicting concepts. I know that when I joked about a guy with a sign begging for food, his family in tow, I figured he makes more money than me. My wife cried because she saw the small kids. Being a professional wrestling fan makes you question everything. Sometimes it isn’t fun to look back and realize how jaded you are, but then again how much cool-aid you can drink.

Those conflicts abound in watching and reviewing Breaking Kayfabe with Troy Martin (available on DVD and On-Demand).

I’d never call Shane a personal hero, but I’ve had more than a few conversations with him. Once was when TNA was getting started and I wasn’t jaded to Dixie and Shane was pitching their potential, another time was when I helped conduct an Internet interview with him (with a lot of audience participation… “chat session”, we may have called those things), and I still remember that time at the Beaver County Mall when I saw him, and did my typically ‘maybe I shouldn’t go up and talk’ shtick (he did just break the Pitbull’s neck).

The other thing about Shane, which the details seems to be sidestepped here, is that he’s seemingly someone who takes the other fork in the road, when in hindsight he should have taken the other. Lord knows I have that same gut instinct of doing the opposite of what appears to be the obvious step. Whether its Shane or Troy or a combination of wrestling/reality, I get what he says about that oppositional tendency.

Coincidentally, I am usually always at odds with fellow Beaver County guy Mark Madden. Those who know Shane well know that he’s gotten a heck of a lot of mileage out of Ric Flair. Those who know know that Madden wrote Flair’s book and if there’s anyone that hates Flair, it’s some guy that lives in Western Pennsylvania. Well, Shane has spent more than two decades proclaiming it. (Stick with me to the punch line, I just have to give that one away).

But enough meandering, even though I think I’ve spelled out enough conflicts and coincidences and comparable conditions.

Several major subjects form the bulk of this two hour extravaganza (I think the wrapping-up, with the music motif and the expected Deep Purple reference and the obvious KISS stories, is rather trivial). One subject mostly set aside was how Martin kicked his habits and beat his personal demons, but that was handled with a previous DVD by Kayfabe Commentaries. But the main subjects are his involvement in promotions, including a new one, his stories about teaching public education in Western Pennsylvania, his life history, his schooling, breaking in and a lot about his family.

Much of the detail is left for the viewer to watch. I’m not one for heading into the depth of details of his childhood and the scars of divorce, the deaths of his father and sister, or the peculiar details of his marriage. Strangely enough, this is one DVD where the bleeps came out, and came out to cover the name of his ex. There is obviously a lot of intense issues with that, many are explained, but these are better left for watching.

For the intense wrestling fan, there is a lot more than the personal, even though the perspective is what makes these details more important. We learn so much about Martin that the Douglas persona becomes more understandable, that his career decisions and choices – his path to being a professional wrestler all the while not having the need, not having to be stuck in that business – play into his reputation. One comment really stood out, one where he notes that people in this business are “great liars, even to ourselves”.

There’s a definite sense of psychology involved here, with Troy talking about obligations and responsibility. There’s a definite drive of his related to fear of failure. This plays through his talk about promotions he’s been involved with, his life, and his career. All this is fascinating, but then again, more so if interested in Shane Douglas the wrestler, if interested in Troy Martin the person.

What I tout as the fascinating part of the discussion comes as the hard part. When Martin talks heels and babyfaces, about how Bruno and Ivan worked in a cage, about how he broke in and learned the ropes, learned his place in the business, learned that he didn’t need professional wrestling because he had a trade – all this is solid, all this kept my attention because of that curious mix of Douglas as Martin as Shane Douglas.

He definitely shines with “the Franchise” attitude. But then, where does the Franchise start, and where does it end?

The discussions about promoters, promoting and the problems involved are very much interesting. I was astonished to learn how much TNA lost over the years, as I’ve heard the rumors, expected the worst, but Martin names a number. His take on independent contractors is very problematic for this industry, although I definitely welcome his point of view and feel that this industry would be best served by true independent contracting, not the employees but we’ll call them something else approach these days. The logic that wrestlers work on contract, pick-and-choose their employer and have any sense of control isn’t just laughable...even with a Shane Douglas cackle.

His take is based on his understanding, and they seem complete and compelling. Where things get difficult for me is the talk about this new promotion he’s involved with, the billionaire backer, the business oriented approach, the healthcare, the 401ks, the various differences, the 22-35 hours of content that will be delivered.

All this (setting aside the responsibilities and the realities of the wrestling industry today, which I see that Martin has a great sense of things and a great take on things, which gives him great credibility) leads to another direction.

With most interviews of most guys in this business, there’s the work and the shoot and a café au lait blend of it all. After watching this and learning much, and glimpsing parts of Douglas/Martin that I don’t think I would have thought revealed, I reflect back and start my wondering, start my damnably jaded self towards thinking about it all, start to put my wrestling reviewer hat on, and I start down that dreaded path of not liking where I am going. When I heard the clinching comment, I was marking out.

When I think back upon it, all I know is that it wasn’t Martin telling really funny joke about what St. Peter would tell him at the Pearly Gates, and the response being that he wasn’t the only one that hated Ric Flair. I know that was Shane Douglas talking, and I realize I can’t figure out if he suddenly made a cameo, or if he was lurking in the shadows all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

quote:

I know that when I joked about a guy with a sign begging for food, his family in tow, I figured he makes more money than me. My wife cried because she saw the small kids. Being a professional wrestling fan makes you question everything. Sometimes it isn’t fun to look back and realize how jaded you are, but then again how much cool-aid you can drink.

quote:

The other thing about Shane, which the details seems to be sidestepped here, is that he’s seemingly someone who takes the other fork in the road, when in hindsight he should have taken the other. Lord knows I have that same gut instinct of doing the opposite of what appears to be the obvious step. Whether its Shane or Troy or a combination of wrestling/reality, I get what he says about that oppositional tendency.

Jaded, cynical, yet free spirited Joe Babinsack.

I think Meltzer just keeps him around as a boost to his self-esteem, whenever anyone insults his writing he just reads a Babinsack and knows he can never be that bad.