Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Extreme Justice is already awesome at about 6 minutes in. All of you should be watching this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched the first two episodes of Oz the other night. Man that show feels 90's as hell. JK Simmons owns.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Oz the other night. Man that show feels 90's as hell. JK Simmons owns.

Should I follow up the new Orange is the New Black season with Oz? Otherwise it is Deadwood or Carnival.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Fat Lou posted:

Should I follow up the new Orange is the New Black season with Oz? Otherwise it is Deadwood or Carnival.

I'm trying to push Veep on everyone, so watch that if you haven't.

But also this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Watch Deadwood.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

It took me so long to adjust to JK not being a neonazi.

Oz is really great though. It lags a bit in the last season (the body count starts getting a bit dumb) but it makes up for it with it's loving amazing finale.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Fat Lou posted:

I've only seen the pilot of OITNB but I think it's safe to say that Oz is way the gently caress darker so far. I can say without reservation that Deadwood is extremely The poo poo.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Fat Lou posted:

Literally watching Deadwood right now, so do that.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Alright, threefour votes for Deadwood. I am sold.

I've only seen the pilot of OITNB but I think it's safe to say that Oz is way the gently caress darker so far. I can say without reservation that Deadwood is extremely The poo poo.

Orange is the New Black is as dark as fresh snow.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

axleblaze posted:

From what I remember one involved the Veronica strapping the bomb to herself blowing up the school. It then cuts to a prom in heaven complete with punch bowls filled with formaldehyde and it shows all the different cliques getting along.

There's another where after everything Veronica asks her old friend in the wheelchair if she wants to watch a movie. Her friend responds by stabbing or shooting her saying "gently caress you Heather" and the movie ends with Veronica yelling "My name's not Heather!"

These are both great. I will perpetually be slightly sad watching Heathers from now on.

And yeah, having literally only seen one episode of Deadwood in my life, Deadwood rules.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I really need to start watching The Wire and Deadwood so I can talk about how good they are.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

I really need to start watching The Wire and Deadwood so I can talk about how good they are.

Yeah

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

This is p drat good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fat Lou posted:

Watch Oz to play "Spot the people who went on to be on Law and Order or THe Wire", it's fun.

Slice of life: I got a hat today.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So a friend of mine had her car parked someplace where people were putting fliers on cars.

It rained.

Evidently the type/brand/whatever of fliers the place used glued/fused the drat thing to her car window.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Trilby or fedora?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Literally The Worst posted:

Slice of life: I got a hat today.

Was it a radar cap

Did the iPod start a Regular Show-type scenario where you're slowly turning into Boogeystein

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also over the forums-downtime I ended up reading Johnny the Homicidal Maniac because I wanted to laugh derisively at cringeworthy 90s bullshit (plus the art is pretty good) and... it wasn't bad? :psyduck:

Like, did my taste in things suddenly get really terrible, or does that comic just get a really unfair rap because of the idiots who latched on to it?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Also over the forums-downtime I ended up reading Johnny the Homicidal Maniac because I wanted to laugh derisively at cringeworthy 90s bullshit (plus the art is pretty good) and... it wasn't bad? :psyduck:

Like, did my taste in things suddenly get really terrible, or does that comic just get a really unfair rap because of the idiots who latched on to it?

While Jhonen Vasquez's stuff hasn't aged that well with me, I think it's way better than his fanbase (who he is really openly disdainful of) would lead you to believe.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
How is it that the forums were down for days yet all the threads I usually follow have way way more new posts to catch up with than usual?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The latter. Like so many similar situations, it all comes back to people confusing depicting something with advocating it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Soccer makes no sense. I just saw that Bosnia was already eliminated but still got to play a game (and won it).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

The latter. It all comes back to people confusing depicting something with advocating it.

I do like that there's a part where he Vasquez basically directly calls anyone that wants to be like Johnny an idiot (having him literally say "I'm the villain in this loving story"), yet it didn't really have an effect on the fanbase.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I do like that there's a part where he Vasquez basically directly calls anyone that wants to be like Johnny an idiot (having him literally say "I'm the villain in this loving story"), yet it didn't really have an effect on the fanbase.

I can't fully agree with that because I've seen so many people make the same comment you just made.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

effectual posted:

Soccer makes no sense. I just saw that Bosnia was already eliminated but still got to play a game (and won it).

Bosnia was my dark horse choice and if they did not get completely hosed by the ref for their last match they would still have a chance. :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Was it a radar cap

Did the iPod start a Regular Show-type scenario where you're slowly turning into Boogeystein

No!!!!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Vasquez isn't as great as his fanboys think, but he hates them so who cares.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I can't fully agree with that because I've seen so many people make the same comment you just made.

Mark Millar spent an eight issue miniseries saying that he hates the people who like Mark Millar Comix and yet everyone raves about how hardcore Kick-rear end is. People are idiots. For everyone who gets it, there's ten who don't.

More slices of life: I ordered all eight volumes of Pluto last week (Urasawa and Tezuka on the same book put it in me all the way). Six of them came in today. None of those six were number one. I am sad. I did however get the other two Frank Miller Batman books, so I can finally do that big dumb thing.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 26, 2014

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
At trivia tonight I completely blanked on the stars of both Nosferatu and The Last Temptation of Christ. Made the difference between winning and losing, looks like. Dammit.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

User-Friendly posted:

At trivia tonight I completely blanked on the stars of both Nosferatu and The Last Temptation of Christ. Made the difference between winning and losing, looks like. Dammit.

How can you forget Max Terror?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Oh God oh God thank God this is back....we need a backup get together place.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

effectual posted:

It's the group stage, think of it like the regular season. The teams with the best 'record' will advance.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I was going to play devil's advocate with JTHM and people liking Johnny too much (I felt like JCV was trying to get across that he's an irredeemable monster but kind of failed and made him pretty sympathetic), but it's actually really hard to get a coherent read on the character in any direction because of how inconsistently he's written. The comic can't decide whether he's Literally Jeffery Dahmer, a tortured yet ultimately good person, or a smug rear end who thinks he's always the smartest guy in the room (when he typically isn't), and so it just kind of bounces between all three.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Sorry I am going to pick on you, but does anyone else get completely lost when people use acronyms all the time? I have noticed CineD using them aggressively in the past 6 months. I end up rereading genchat half the time just to figure out what the acronyms are and sometimes I never find out. Maybe I am alone in this.

Edit: This is not the best example, but earlier people were using AYNIK for Edge of Tomorrow and I was really confused. Things like that just completely throw me for a loop.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 26, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, that's fair, I just get douche-chills writing out the title of that comic and the name of its creator.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, that's fair, I just get douche-chills writing out the title of that comic and the name of its creator.

Huh?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TrixRabbi posted:

On Purge night I am going to spam the forums with emoticons and not get banned.

On Purge Night we will see the goop on everyone's keyboards. Followed by mass suicide.

LesterGroans posted:

The forums are down for a couple days and it kills Eli Wallach and drives Gary Oldman insane :(

I suggest a mass Dear Richarding. Who's with me?

MisterBibs posted:

So a friend of mine had her car parked someplace where people were putting fliers on cars.

It rained.

Evidently the type/brand/whatever of fliers the place used glued/fused the drat thing to her car window.

At least she knows where to send the bill for the replacement glass.

I recognize Rick Baker, fat Billy, and Dick Miller. Who are the other two?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Hey CD. We need to talk about Bill Paxton.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

DNS posted:

Somehow Bill Paxton has become an enjoyable person to see in films, but only in like the past three years or so.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
^^^This would be true if it weren't everything else he's done. Also, Frailty. How you gonna hate on Frailty?

DNS posted:

I agree. Bill Paxton is awesome. I got all excited when he showed up in Edge of Tomorrow.

Also if you guys haven't already, go see Edge of Tomorrow. It's one of the year's best.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Shane Black is writing and directing a Predator movie with his Monster Squad partner. Predator, written by Black and Dekker. All is right again with the world.

This is the best news. MS and Predator the best movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Gary Oldman says he can't stand The Fifth Element. What a clown.

• Locked thread