Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Kasonic posted:

Is Ob Nihilus strong enough to include in Modern against decks running multiple fetches? That's a serious effect.

You would need a way to cheat it out. By the time you get to six mana, your opponent probably has all the land they need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

On the Sadistic card chat earlier, it's the playable character Eve from The Binding of Isaac. By losing HP, she gets a bonus to her offensive ability and survivability. And just like Eve, she's pretty crap.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sarcastro posted:

"Their" library.
Spoiler season, where we all get excited and lose the ability to actually read cards. It's tradition.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any word on how long Wizards is sticking to 12AM PST reveals? Just this week?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Trick had said that he was aiming to have it fixed yesterday but obviously that didn't happen.

It a technical issue associated with the new site rather than a deliberate adoption.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I wish New Ob Nix worked with stuff like Slaughter Games and Reap Intellect. The jankiest Grixis Control Deck.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I think the official word is that 9PM PST articles will be coming back "soon."

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
What if in a WB tokens deck you use that reanimation spell to get...something. Any big fatty. Would seem neat.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I'm surprised David Sirlin of all people designed such a scrub-tier card. It won't be played in standard, and for that, he should be ashamed :colbert:.
Even more than balancing games, he likes weird rock-paper-scissors scenarios. I bet his original card had three choices.

EDIT: He talks about this. Not specifically this card, but:

David Sirlin posted:

Game Balance Myth 2: Sirlin only cares about balance.

From the outside, I can see why someone would think that because I work on games that require a lot of balance work. But the testers who work with me would laugh at this. I'm the one always pushing back on balance changes because other things are more important: good flavor (mechanics expressing the right personality), good dynamics, and elegance. I want fewer words, fewer elements, things to be as simple as we can get away with, and for characters to feel right. If you allow balance to rank higher than those things, you get a terrible feeling game. If you make only balance changes that respect all those constraints, it's hard work, but you can still have a balanced game.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Will this super standard be the first time three different versions of a walker have been playable in the same standard?

There were three Garruks last Super Standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Eddie Whitson posted:

You're about to have lots of options in Cat Men and/or Gary Stu timemages.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Official version with text in.

Mothership is broken again! The articles for today aren't being listed.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Eddie Whitson posted:

And there were three Jaces in 2012.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

You're about to have lots of options in Cat Men and/or Gary Stu timemages.

I hope getting everyone to speculate about Fetches was just a ploy to surprise people with the REAL reveal: a reprint of JtMS in M15.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I liked the name Ajani The Steadfast better...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ask Me For Warez posted:

And there were three Jaces in 2012.

I think JTMS was banned before M13 came out though.

Or is there another Jace I'm not thinking of?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Bugsy posted:

That might might be playable in modern tron, 5(11) is a lot to protect your lands but it might seen play.

Probably not, it gets hit by Path to Exile all the same, and it's really only Sowing Salt that's a problem.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bugsy posted:

That might might be playable in modern tron, 5(11) is a lot to protect your lands but it might seen play.

By the time you have 5 mana you've usually either won or lost with tron. This isn't better than either wurmcoil engine or sundering Titan.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Ob nixilis is hate for Maze's end.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
Who did WotC hire for webmaster, Radium?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Ob nixilis is hate for Maze's end.

It's about time we got an answer for such an oppressive deck. Hopefully standard can finally be fun again.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

There are a hell of a lot of activated abilities on creatures in this set. Is WotC softening its stance on on-board tricks?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
As the immortal Rich Evans once said, "What?" A new Avacyn? Ooookay.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

There are a hell of a lot of activated abilities on creatures in this set. Is WotC softening its stance on on-board tricks?

That's really good. A 5/4 flying vigilance for 5. Mono white devotion anyone?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zorak posted:

My first thought was, "hey maybe there will be a new Griselbrand also." Then I remembered he's dead.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zorak posted:

Honestly, I think it's pretty cool to see legendary creatures pop up in new forms in the core set. Ob Nixilis is still alive, kicking, and gathering power (Doug Beyer pointed out that the wings are a new development), Avacyn is still doing her thing. The same thing goes for Planeswalkers--we get to see Ajani in the wake of Elspeth's death, Garruk cursed by the veil, Jace as the Guildpact, and Nissa acting as part of the 'un-gently caress Zendikar' brigade (in a way that's very Zendikar-y). I hope we see more of this kind of thing in core sets.

Hey, more story! Interesting little tidbit about the hedrons. Also a pretty decent card; total boardwipe that you can fire off on your opponent's turn.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 26, 2014

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Zorak posted:

As the immortal Rich Evans once said, "WhaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAT?"

I'm not sure I get it either. I guess M15's theme is "MtG's Greatest Hits Remixed"?

As far as the large amount of on board tricks we've been seeing, keep in mind that most of the cards that have been previewed have been either rare or mythic, and those don't really have any limit to their complexity. Remember, New World Order is almost entirely limited to the common slot.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

Honestly, I think it's pretty cool to see legendary creatures pop up in new forms in the core set. Ob Nixilis is still alive, kicking, and gathering power (Doug Beyer pointed out that the wings are a new development), Avacyn is still doing her thing. The same thing goes for Planeswalkers--we get to see Ajani in the wake of Elspeth's death, Garruk cursed by the veil, Jace as the Guildpact, and Nissa acting as part of the 'un-gently caress Zendikar' brigade (in a way that's very Zendikar-y). I hope we see more of this kind of thing in core sets.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's not cool, it's just sort of an oddly specific choice to have Angel Mom show up. Ob Nixilis has an ongoing plotline at least.

e: Presumably she factors into the Duels 2015 plotline?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Promoted Pawn posted:

I'm not sure I get it either. I guess M15's theme is "MtG's Greatest Hits Remixed"?

As far as the large amount of on board tricks we've been seeing, keep in mind that most of the cards that have been previewed have been either rare or mythic, and those don't really have any limit to their complexity. Remember, New World Order is almost entirely limited to the common slot.

There was a cycle of uncommons in the Limited Resources article too. Obviously it's never going back to Lorwyn-levels but it seems like an uptick compared to recent years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

Hey, more story! Interesting little tidbit about the hedrons. Also a pretty decent card; total boardwipe that you can fire off on your opponent's turn.

Ummm slightly worse Oblivion Stone.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Zorak posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying it's not cool, it's just sort of an oddly specific choice to have Angel Mom show up. Ob Nixilis has an ongoing plotline at least.

Not oddly specific when the entire set seems to be based around 2009-2013 (post-Duels era, not coincidentally) nostalgia.

I noticed the on-board tricks being ramped up too, even at common/uncommon. I'm sure Maro will comment on that, it's obviously a conscious direction.

apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?
Probably a cycle of new versions of legendaries from different planes. Elderly Squee incoming!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
It has a Hedron in the art, it deserves some brownie points at least :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Going back to Nissa for a moment, according to that Uncharted Realms she is no longer Elf Hitler, and I don't know if we're better or worse off that way.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

C-Euro posted:

Going back to Nissa for a moment, according to that Uncharted Realms she is no longer Elf Hitler, and I don't know if we're better or worse off that way.

I kinda want her to get corrupted by Phyrexia, in part of a bargain to save Zendikar from the Eldrazi. Just for the awful pun:

Nissa, the Traitor. :getin:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Most of the new M15 activated abilities take a lot of mana, so most gameplay decisions will be based around picking one from your total options instead of figuring out all the combinations you can use.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I wonder if Mono White Devotion could be a thing with Angel Mom 2, Elspeth, Heliod, Brimaz, etc., not to mention all the exile cards and stuff like Brave the Elements.

whydirt posted:

Most of the new M15 activated abilities take a lot of mana, so most gameplay decisions will be based around picking one from your total options instead of figuring out all the combinations you can use.

If you actually got Avacyn to stick to the board, you could probably get a lot of that mana off of Nykthos.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

I wonder if Mono White Devotion could be a thing with Angel Mom 2, Elspeth, Heliod, Brimaz, etc., not to mention all the exile cards and stuff like Brave the Elements.

If you actually got Avacyn to stick to the board, you could probably get a lot of that mana off of Nykthos.

Needs something that actually takes advantage of said devotion, or at the very least a mana sink you can combine with Nykthos. Not that I'd complain if someone made MWD work.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
:siren: The Version 3 Magic Online client is set to be turned off on July 16th :siren:

also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Needs something that actually takes advantage of said devotion, or at the very least a mana sink you can combine with Nykthos. Not that I'd complain if someone made MWD work.

Heliod token army. And of course, Heliod himself.

• Locked thread