Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

closeted republican posted:

3 may be worse than SR2 and SR4, but it does have the most fun and coolest military vehicles in the series. The VTOL and Crusader tank are rad as gently caress and blow away the Zin's vehicles in SR4.

The Crusader would have been even better if you could control the turret with the mouse independent of steering. Maybe I'm just too used to playing World of Tanks, but that poo poo pissed me off major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

subhelios posted:

The Crusader would have been even better if you could control the turret with the mouse independent of steering. Maybe I'm just too used to playing World of Tanks, but that poo poo pissed me off major.

The tank controls in SR3 and 4 are just awful. I can't imagine why they would make them work that way.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Tiggum posted:

The tank controls in SR3 and 4 are just awful. I can't imagine why they would make them work that way.

Somehow, no matter what, if I'm driving a tank in SR3/4, after about a minute or so of janky control, I'm driving the tank backwards. It's okay, though, because even though it'd be a massive pain to try to reorient myself properly in the drat thing, once I am backwards, I find it's a bit easier to control.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

closeted republican posted:

3 may be worse than SR2 and SR4, but it does have the most fun and coolest military vehicles in the series. The VTOL and Crusader tank are rad as gently caress and blow away the Zin's vehicles in SR4.

I dunno, I have a certain fondness for the Chrome Void. Classy mofo.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm really glad I came to the series when I did and played 3, then 4, then 2. 3 is objectively a great game experience compared to most games. 4 was better than 3. And then 2 is one of the greatest game worlds ever made, which might not be possible to recreate without a 9-digit budget in the current generation.

It would be great if they could find a way to drop fidelity in exchange for more to do, but I fear that even a great publisher wouldn't take that risk... and these guys work for Deep Silver.

On the other hand, maybe the best sign of all is that we know they're working on something but we haven't heard anything. The more time they can give Volition the better.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tricky Ed posted:

I'm really glad I came to the series when I did and played 3, then 4, then 2. 3 is objectively a great game experience compared to most games. 4 was better than 3. And then 2 is one of the greatest game worlds ever made, which might not be possible to recreate without a 9-digit budget in the current generation.

It would be great if they could find a way to drop fidelity in exchange for more to do, but I fear that even a great publisher wouldn't take that risk... and these guys work for Deep Silver.

On the other hand, maybe the best sign of all is that we know they're working on something but we haven't heard anything. The more time they can give Volition the better.

I honestly think they could re-create a world as good as 2 with the budgets they're working with now. You have to remember that a significant chunk of the expense in developing SR3 was building a brand new engine for it, and 4 ended up being developed at a very turbulent time for Volition so they probably didn't want to invest in anything too huge because their future was so uncertain at that point (hence the re-use of Steelport with very minor changes rather than a brand new city). With the all that stuff behind them, I wouldn't be surprised if go for something much more along the lines of SR2 in terms of scale. Remember that SR2 had assets from SR1 to build off of, but everything for SR3 basically had to be built brand new, or at the very least HEAVILY modified from SR2 assets. I think that's a big reason why Steelport feels kind of generic compared to SR2 Stilwater, where each neighbourhood had a much more distinct feel to it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even apart from world size and distinctness of areas, SR2 just plain had a lot more attention to detail paid to it. Character customization, secret areas, cutscenes (both quantity and quality), NPC idle animations, radio stations (the pirate station's reception getting patchy the further you are from the university, station takeovers...), the list goes on.

I'm trying to get a friend of mine into the series via co-op, but had to send her into SR2 on her own because of the server thing. I'm hovering somewhere between envy and apprehension that she might consider SR3 too much of a step backwards.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I might give SR2 a go after I play SR4; does it have any modernisation mods, HDifying textures or whatnot? I've been spoiled by Elder Scrolls and people replacing the entire game of Morrowind.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I might give SR2 a go after I play SR4; does it have any modernisation mods, HDifying textures or whatnot? I've been spoiled by Elder Scrolls and people replacing the entire game of Morrowind.

Probably not; it runs poorly enough as it is and I can't imagine adding hi-res textures would be a good idea.

Get Gentlemen of the Row though, and the speed hack unless you're still on WinXP for some reason.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One thing that sort of bugged me about SR3 is that your first impression of Steelport is that sleazy alley. That's just an amazing little chunk of space and I started with the impression "Oh my GOD! Steelport is going to be crazy!"

But the rest of the city was pretty blah. What a letdown.

Still loved the game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Krowley posted:

Probably not; it runs poorly enough as it is and I can't imagine adding hi-res textures would be a good idea.

Get Gentlemen of the Row though, and the speed hack unless you're still on WinXP for some reason.

The speed hack is also unnecessary on Windows 8.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

^ ^ ^ Grumble.

Krowley posted:

The speedhack is, oddly enough, only reliably needed on Windows 7. Vista still used XP's system timers (though they may have gotten changed for 7's late in its life) and 8 fixed the timer problems from 7.

Also Powertools is apparently not XP compatible, but XP is finally finally dead so who gives a poo poo.

Then again it's forgivable that you'd think the only OSes Microsoft made in the past decade or so are XP and 7.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One thing that sort of bugged me about SR3 is that your first impression of Steelport is that sleazy alley. That's just an amazing little chunk of space and I started with the impression "Oh my GOD! Steelport is going to be crazy!"

Is that the red-neon sex alleyway under the highway with a gateway in SR4? Because I ran across that and was 'wow this is amazing and way better done than the rest of the game' and kinda wondered about it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MikeJF posted:

Is that the red-neon sex alleyway under the highway with a gateway in SR4? Because I ran across that and was 'wow this is amazing and way better done than the rest of the game' and kinda wondered about it.

Yeah, you start the game at one end of that alley and steal a car at the other end.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

The first legit upgrade reason I've heard.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
Let's get this shit started!

Coughing Hobo posted:

That's true for most players. Some do still have the speedup bug on Win 8.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Krowley posted:

The first legit upgrade reason I've heard.

Don't.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

This. I picked up 8 on release when it was really cheap because I'm a stupid rear end in a top hat, and even now it's pretty crappy. Also, good luck if you want to play the first Dark Souls. :arghfist::saddowns:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
First dark souls runs fine here. You just have to grab a gfwl installer from Microsoft's site as the version bundled with steam games is out of date.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

This. I picked up 8 on release when it was really cheap because I'm a stupid rear end in a top hat, and even now it's pretty crappy.
I don't understand the complaints about Win8. I stuck with XP because of how much I hated Vista and 7, and with 8 they finally managed to improve on XP. The Start screen is actually useful (unlike the Start menu) and everything is really intuitive and easy to use. The Win8 style apps are garbage (largely because they always run full-screen), but you can still use all the old style programs without any problems.

I hate the stupid interface changes they made to it with 8.1 though. I haven't noticed a lot of difference, but bringing back the Start button is annoying and pointless and now the Start screen has a little arrow you have to click to go to All Programs instead of just right-clicking anywhere. And ever since that update I can't get the on-screen keyboard icon off the taskbar.

All that said, I use Linux Mint as my main OS and no Windows OS even comes close to being as good as it.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Because they tried (and failed) to blend a tablet OS and a desktop OS into one pointless product. W7 is pretty solid and the interface behaves mostly like windows has done since the mid-nineties, so there's 0 reason to upgrade beyond just techy pissing contestry.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand the complaints about Win8. I stuck with XP because of how much I hated Vista and 7, and with 8 they finally managed to improve on XP. The Start screen is actually useful (unlike the Start menu) and everything is really intuitive and easy to use. The Win8 style apps are garbage (largely because they always run full-screen), but you can still use all the old style programs without any problems.

Yes, you didn't hate 7. All the good bits in 8 are 7. You should have just used 7 all along.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Megazver posted:

Yes, you didn't hate 7. All the good bits in 8 are 7. You should have just used 7 all along.

Nope, I've tried it, it's awful. Windows 8 was immediately easy to use and just seems to work fine without any messing around. Every single thing I've tried to do in Windows 7 has been inconvenient and irritating. And it doesn't have the Start screen which, as I said, is a genuine improvement on the Start menu.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

If this the wrong thread for this, then apologies in advance. I'd like to give SR2 a try, since I've never played it. However, the game always immediately crashes when loading up. I don't even get so much as a title screen, logo splashes, nothing. Running Win7. Any suggestions? I've tried cache verification, uninstall/reinstall, the works. No mods installed yet.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaethela posted:

If this the wrong thread for this, then apologies in advance. I'd like to give SR2 a try, since I've never played it. However, the game always immediately crashes when loading up. I don't even get so much as a title screen, logo splashes, nothing. Running Win7. Any suggestions? I've tried cache verification, uninstall/reinstall, the works. No mods installed yet.

Try installing the Gentlemen of the Row mod. Some people can't even launch the game without it.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
Let's get this shit started!

Kaethela posted:

The SR2 PC FAQ I wrote up has some troubleshooting steps you can try:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715922

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DLC: before I go into the endgame mission sequence, or after I finish the game?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Afterwards. Neither of them is integrated with the story.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

IdolNinja posted:

The SR2 PC FAQ I wrote up has some troubleshooting steps you can try:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715922

Disabling my second monitor fixed it. No idea why that would cause an issue, but whatever. Thank you!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently I've got the touch.

I've got the power.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Saints Save Christmas for $3.49, or the season pass for $4.99. I really don't give a poo poo about Enter The Dominatrix, though. Should I just get the Christmas DLC?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

MikeJF posted:

I've got the power.

YEAH!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Enter the Dominatrix is kind of amusing, but your call, and it'd almost be worth paying extra for it later if you feel like it just to not get the Zin sodomy rocket thing. :barf:

Then again, you can just switch off stuff in the DLC tab of a Steam game's properties now, so you can end up with it and still never see it. Okay I think I talked myself into talking you into spending the extra buck fifty on the Season Pass again.

MikeJF posted:

I've got the power.

When all hell's breakin' loose, you'll be ridin' the eye of the storm.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Saints Save Christmas for $3.49, or the season pass for $4.99. I really don't give a poo poo about Enter The Dominatrix, though. Should I just get the Christmas DLC?

Get the pass.

Either way, Saving Christmas is totally with it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

I've played through both for the first time a few days ago. Eh, EtD is worth a buck.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I thought Enter the Dominatrix was silly and fun. The Christmas one is only good if you actually like "and Christmas opened his heart to make him believe in Santa" stories.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, it's good if you like those kind of stories filtered through the Saints Row lens, which if you're playing Saints Row IV is fairly likely.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Honestly between Saints Save Christmas and "I'm getting my best friend back." I thought SR4 had more heart than a lot of games.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Saint's Row IV National Treasure edition announced

http://gematsu.com/2014/06/saints-row-iv-national-treasure-edition-coming-mid-july

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Oh look, I now have a reason to play though the game again on the PS3, which means my GoTG edition can remain where it is on my desk, and not have to be opened up if I get a craving to play SR4 again.

• Locked thread