Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So is Clive Palmer our enemy or friend? Is he a frenemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
When I visited my dad recently it was the first time I'd ever met his girlfriend. In our first conversation she told me she hates refugees, in our second conversation she told me that she hates the Japanese. They live in the Shire though so I guess I should have been expecting it.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Frenemy, yeah. He's doing the right things for the wrong reasons, which I suppose is better than doing the wrong thing.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Scylo posted:

When I visited my dad recently it was the first time I'd ever met his girlfriend. In our first conversation she told me she hates refugees, in our second conversation she told me that she hates the Japanese. They live in the Shire though so I guess I should have been expecting it.

Should tell her the Nazis considered them honourary aryans, she'll probably change her tune.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Wayne Swan wrote an interesting article after getting kicked out of parliament for calling Abbott a liar.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/02/joe-hockeys-budget-is-an-assault-on-social-justice

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Anidav posted:

Frenemy - he's making the Gov look like an utter arse in the international circuit, while covering his own. He plays to his own interest and covers it up with spectacle.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

UWA Circulated News email posted:

UWA anticipated the budget would contain some measures to allow universities across the country to become more globally competitive and provide more choice to students.
:suicide:

The university sector, valiant defenders of the rights of the rich and privileged.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

hooman posted:

:suicide:

The university sector, valiant defenders of the rights of the rich and privileged.

Sandstone unis don't count because they think that they'd all be the Aussie Harvard if they weren't being held back by things such as affordable and non-exclusive fees.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Wheezle posted:

3 days without auspol and Al Gore is announcing things with Clive Palmer.

Well, we had to find something to do right?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://gawker.com/australian-cafe-was-docking-pay-if-you-cooked-not-cris-1596267714

quote:

The Fair Work Ombudsman issued the business with on-the-spot fines totalling $7650 and a letter of caution placing it on notice for any further contraventions.

Well at least the punishment fits the crime, right? People should be locked up.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

Do you guys want some poo poo opinions from a garbage newspaper?

Probably not, but I don't care. I read them and now you have to.

Dodor of Dandenong

*etc.*

The Australian had a lovely comment accusing :siren:Muslims:siren: of secretly loving ISIS because they weren't on the streets protesting against the violence in Iraq. Also that we should restrict all muslim immigration for the safety of our beautiful western paradise of freedom+liberty+democracy :australia:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

http://gawker.com/australian-cafe-was-docking-pay-if-you-cooked-not-cris-1596267714

Publish the name of the cafe so people can throw bricks through the window exercise their right of boycott as consumers.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I think the Australian article it linked to named it, but I didn't want to click on it.

I wonder if I could go eat there then tell the owner I was deducting money from the check because of xxxx

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

open24hours posted:

At least some people are being hit for loving over workers. There's a link in the comments to an article from yesterday's herald sun about the owner of two La Porchetta franchises being fined $334,000 for paying staff with pizza and coke instead of cash.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...3-1226966256816

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Uh the head of Thailand's new military junta getting (predictably) pissy because we called for the restoration of democracy does not count as a foreign relations fuckup fyi.

They still very much want our planeloads of bogans and sex tourists touching down in Phuket and Bangkok.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Nibbles141 posted:

I think the Australian article it linked to named it, but I didn't want to click on it.

I wonder if I could go eat there then tell the owner I was deducting money from the check because of xxxx

The Australian only mentioned which suburb in Perth it was in. Unless it is called "The Subiaco Cafe"

I tried to use urbanspoon to work out who it was based on the menu but could only get 2/3 menu items and the place wasn't technically a cafe.

Negligent posted:

Uh the head of Thailand's new military junta getting (predictably) pissy because we called for the restoration of democracy does not count as a foreign relations fuckup fyi.

They still very much want our planeloads of bogans and sex tourists touching down in Phuket and Bangkok.

Good point about the junta. I wasn't saying it was the wrong thing to call for democracy, just highlighting incidents where we are currently not well liked.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 26, 2014

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Speaking of being hosed over, my work has told me that the reason I am paid less than my male colleague is "labour market conditions".

I don't think there is any rational response to that.

I have tried to be reasonable, but now I am looking at my options. :ohdear:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

froglet posted:

Speaking of being hosed over, my work has told me that the reason I am paid less than my male colleague is "labour market conditions".

I hope those options include:

1) union
2) Fair Work Ombudsman
3) Sex Discrimination Commissioner (i.e. complain to the Australian Human Rights Commission)
4) lawyer

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

froglet posted:

That's a cute way of saying "because we think we can get away with it"

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Those On My Left posted:

I hope those options include:

1) union
2) Fair Work Ombudsman
3) Sex Discrimination Commissioner (i.e. complain to the Australian Human Rights Commission)
4) lawyer

I've been to Professionals Australia and they weren't exactly helpful so I'm now wondering if I should go to the sex discrimination commissioner or to fair work next.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

froglet posted:

I've been to Professionals Australia and they weren't exactly helpful so I'm now wondering if I should go to the sex discrimination commissioner or to fair work next.

No reason you can't do both! Personally I would do Fair Work first but I would discuss with them making a complaint to the AHRC (which is what you do to get it into the Sex Discrimination Commissioner's jurisdiction).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Those On My Left posted:

No reason you can't do both! Personally I would do Fair Work first but I would discuss with them making a complaint to the AHRC (which is what you do to get it into the Sex Discrimination Commissioner's jurisdiction).

The real kicker in all this is that I've been told my best bet to get a pay rise is to "shine" and work really reaaaally hard and work towards a promotion.

I am not joking.

They seriously think I should work harder. For less money than my male colleagues. On the off chance they are as good as their word and reward hard work.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Might as well start looking for a new job.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The Usual Suspect posted:

26 Jun 2014 The Australian PATRICIA KARVELAS

Forrest’s womb-to-work strategy

MINING magnate Andrew Forrest has delivered the Abbott government a 230-page blueprint that calls for radical, far-reaching changes to the nation’s indigenous jobs strategy and the rollout of new integrated childhood services that target kids from conception to the age of three years. The chairman of Tony Abbott’s indigenous employment review calls for 200 communities to be targeted with the goal of transforming the lives of children and ensuring they are able to go into jobs, education or training when they come of age.

Mr Forrest’s recommendations include denying young indigenous people access to welfare if they drop out of school and allowing Aborigines to keep subsidised housing in remote communities if they take jobs. Sources who had been briefed on the report said it warned that investments from all levels of government must be focused on the prenatal to preschool level. It calls for collocation and coordination of health, nutrition and other support services in schools or nearby in community hubs, with a single point of “accountability” on how children are progressing to ensure they do not fall behind and spend a lifetime on welfare, with poor outcomes. The report says fetal alcohol syndrome is a huge problem that must be addressed in an intensive way because many children are behind before they start participating in school.

The Australian has learned that the blueprint says there needs to be a stronger focus on improving school attendance and reducing truancy, beyond the approach already introduced by the Abbott government. It also calls for governments to stop funding TAFE and other courses that do not lead to “real” jobs. It is understood that Mr Forrest wants to expand a model he is funding in Western Australia called the Challis Early Childhood Education Centre. Located on the grounds of the Challis Primary School in Armadale, the centre provides innovative developmental support, based on international and local research, to children three years old and younger and their parents. Children participating in the program have had an unprecedented improvement in their Australian Early Development Index results.

Mr Forrest’s report says the system does not need more money but rather an overhaul of the way current spending is allocated, to reorientate services to early years and then to meaningful education that delivers job placements. In an interview with The Australian, Mr Forrest said he wanted the government to adopt the entire report and not cherrypick sections, because a piecemeal approach had comprehensively failed. The Fortescue Metals Group chairman and founder of the Generation-One indigenous jobs initiative would not discuss specific recommendations but said he believed the Prime Minister understood this was one of the most important issues facing the country.
“If they want to create parity in Australia, then this is a set of measures which will preserve the nation’s capital, which will save the nation’s money, but bring the disparity to an end,” Mr Forrest said. He said he had taken the Prime Minister’s indigenous council through the report’s findings and believed its members’ “level of understanding was very high”.

“This is not a piecemeal approach,” he said. “When I was asked to do this, it was employment and training specific. Then I was asked to do welfare and then I went back and said any measure which I bring in without a holistic approach will wind up the same as all the other measures and only making a marginal impact and costing the taxpayer.”
He said the measures were not high-cost and, if adopted, “this saves the nation’s capital”.

The Prime Minister had already read the report (Edit: NTATA read a report? Noe I know they are making it up).

Mr Forrest uses the report to urge that the government roll out more of his Vocational, Training and Employment Centres that link training to identified and committed jobs.
The report says the VET system, including TAFE, is too slow at adapting to what employers need. The report says that “training for training’s sake” is still central to the system and there must be a new model as “billions” of dollars have been wasted training people .

Mentions of Culture and Agency? 0.00

Exaggerated claim about levels of TAFE funding? CHECK.

Advocating the abolishion of TAFE funding? CHECK.

I hope you missed this.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Why the gently caress are we treating what a mining company owner says about childhood welfare with anything but derision? This is beyond even the "rich people know how to economics" wealth-worship you normally see and straight up into "rich people are polymath ubermenschen."

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I've missed the rollercoaster of shame/anger/nausea of being Australian, yes.

Also, Jesus Christ milky, so sorry for you. :(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I assume people attending these new private education / training centres would be be eligible for the new HECS loans?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Tommofork posted:

I've missed the rollercoaster of shame/anger/nausea of being Australian, yes.

Also, Jesus Christ milky, so sorry for you. :(

It's frustrating. DIBP says to go to the Tribunal, Tribunal says she has to be in the country to appeal (and yet their form doesn't make that explicit and in fact mentions that only the person applying for the review, who is different on the form to who the the visa applicant is, needs to be in the country) and that any questioning of it is outside their jurisdiction. I wish I could find and quote the form. I rang the person from the Tribunal who notified my girlfriend of the refusal and gave her a bit of a tongue-lashing. It's like: we've done everything right, who do we go to if whoever the case officer was screwed up?

No useful information. "It's outside our jurisdiction" over and over. My girlfriend emailed the case officer back when it was first refused and said, hey, I actually did give you valid information, and all they said was 'hey, we've passed it on to the manager, you'll hear something in ten business days'. Then nothing. When she contacted them again, it was the same thing - passed on to a manager and then nothing.

You know what's funny, though? If I search this case officer's name on Google, I can find other angry people.

I used to work for loving Flybuys and I would have lost my job if this was how I treated people's concerns - and that was for meaningless bullshit reward points that affected nothing in the grand scheme of things, not people's lives.

Sure, we could probably just lodge another application but that stuff isn't cheap. It really isn't. Neither is a lawyer.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Oh, here it is.

quote:

The tribunal can only accept an application for review made by a person who has the right to apply for review. In some cases the only person who can apply for review is the visa applicant or former visa holder, in other cases it can only be the sponsor or a close relative. In some cases the review applicant must be within Australia at the time of decision or at the time the application for review is lodged, or both.  The tribunal cannot provide advice on individual circumstances, however you may seek advice on these issues from a registered migration agent or other registered provider of immigration assistance.

Notice the difference between the visa applicant (girlfriend) and review applicant (her brother). Notice that there is nothing that mentions the visa applicant must be in the country. All the tribunal does is read written documents that are given to them - that's it. There's no need for someone to be there in person when the whole thing is literally an online form.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 26, 2014

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
A local is attempting to get the AEC to release the source code for the Senate counting system, the importance being everything that comes out from below the lines votes is dependant on the correctness of this application.

AEC is declining, claiming trade-secrecy, so he's taking it to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and that costs money. He's running a Pozible campaign at http://www.pozible.com/project/183015 if anyone would like to chip in and help him get the best representation possible for the case.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

froglet posted:

Oh bugger, I just put in an application to join them after lurking auspol and a round of layoffs at work. :ohdear:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

You know what's funny, though? If I search this case officer's name on Google, I can find other angry people.

I used to work for loving Flybuys and I would have lost my job if this was how I treated people's concerns - and that was for meaningless bullshit reward points that affected nothing in the grand scheme of things, not people's lives.

Sure, we could probably just lodge another application but that stuff isn't cheap. It really isn't. Neither is a lawyer.

Milky, I know you're probably sick to loving death of complaining, but I honestly think the Commonwealth Ombudsman might be able to help you out here:

http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/pages/making-a-complaint/

Definitely give them a call and have a chat. In fact, I'd recommend you do this before going to a lawyer.

e: to clarify, this isn't just complaining so that you get this guy in trouble. The Ombudsman may be able to help you actually achieve a result.

If you do need to go to a lawyer, use this site: http://www.liv.asn.au/Referral

Here's why:

quote:

All law firms included in the Find Your Lawyer Referral Service provide a 30-minute enquiry interview free of charge. You can use this interview to determine with the solicitor the nature of the legal issue, discuss the available options and receive an estimate of costs to proceed with the matter. If you request the solicitor to undertake any legal work on your behalf (e.g. reading contracts, writing letters etc) the solicitor’s normal fees will apply. Please be sure to discuss these costs before any work is completed on your behalf.

So sorry you're going through this dude. :(

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Those On My Left posted:

Milky, I know you're probably sick to loving death of complaining, but I honestly think the Commonwealth Ombudsman might be able to help you out here:

http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/pages/making-a-complaint/

Definitely give them a call and have a chat. In fact, I'd recommend you do this before going to a lawyer.

e: to clarify, this isn't just complaining so that you get this guy in trouble. The Ombudsman may be able to help you actually achieve a result.

If you do need to go to a lawyer, use this site: http://www.liv.asn.au/Referral

Here's why:

So sorry you're going through this dude. :(

Thanks, TOML. I'll definitely see about getting the Ombudsman in on this.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Thanks, TOML. I'll definitely see about getting the Ombudsman in on this.

Another option is always your local member of federal parliament.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Actual advice I once received from a practicing lawyer: write your MP and/or the Ministers office about any problem you have with a government department. Mention names. It's the only thing that can put the wind up a permanent public servant.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QtbRczmKNU

New Clarke and Dawe - The Title of This Item Was Deemed to be Freighted and Has Been Removed.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The minister for that department is Scott "baby killer" Morrison, I'm not sure that will help.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

norp posted:

The minister for that department is Scott "baby killer" Morrison, I'm not sure that will help.

My girlfriend's brother suggested writing to him. I'm far more likely to think that he's got some secret 'no brown names' policy than anything helpful.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Night Shade posted:

Oh bugger, I just put in an application to join them after lurking auspol and a round of layoffs at work. :ohdear:

Don't get me wrong, they did want to help but they were a bit limited in what they could offer. They did help by going through my contract, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If you write in to an MP's office and give them details of your issue there's like a 80% chance they will ask the department what's up. The response might be 'well mr moor hosed up his application, gg no re' but they will at least look into it.

• Locked thread