Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

the Orb of Zot posted:

They also have an A1D1 version of paralyze that if it hits also summons 3 black hawks (thankfully Tham 6)

Caelum gets this too though

Also thaum 6 is super low, thats like, early midgame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

mlyp

what's wrong with it beyond this slow to recruit bug or w/e?
They were trying to do something to fix some unspecified issue with StR commanders and their interaction with insufficient resources, appears to have broke the whole thing.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I mentioned this in my last post but it deserves it's own just because of how horrifically overpowered it is even by Ragha's standards.

A seducer with magic paths best described as loving insane, capable of scaling walls and seducing people in besieged forts (and probably murdering them easily if they don't), able to break you into blood by itself, with a death staff able to summon MORE of itself...

Oh, and Caelum can summon them too. In all 3 eras. You can have that Azi (i.e. the 3 headed dragon that Caelum also gets for a pretender option) rampage around early game and then once that stops being viable you can just turn him into a summoner for this thing.

Conjuration 5, 15 death gems (only 3 more than a bane lord!), D3F1.

And then there's this.

30 Astral Pearls, S3.

This is not a mod. This is vanilla.

What. The. gently caress.

EDIT: Turns out that the first thing I linked was supposed to be summoned from the 40 death gem conj 6 spell and instead got bugged to show up here instead. The thing you're supposed to get is basically a succubus for 15 death gems that can also be a spy, no magic paths or anything crazy like that.

Still doesn't excuse the latter one though

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 27, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
holy fuckin lol what the christ is illwinter smoking

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing Heat-3 is going to be the popular build, given it shuts down a lot of undead factions' auras, they get an extra Fire gem per temple (for 800g - I don't think we're going to see some kind of Transmution New Meta), and you can use mass Fire magic really safely around your FR15 troops.

Also the Cold sacred is 9hp, 40 resource garbage, and if you need it, reducing heat with Wolven Winter is way easier than Breath of the Desert, which makes the choice easier.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
It's the little things that are really impressive. Like, sure making a summonable D mage assassin is ballsy by itself, but giving it scale walls.....

Or a flying thug chasis with access to both astral and air buffs - nah, better give it holy 3 and sacred just to make sure.

edit: hahaha am I remembering my icons correctly and that zero point water elem guy is also a gem gen?

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 26, 2014

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I fully admit to being a scrub, but can somebody tell me why the Fravashi is so good? It looks 'pretty good' to me, which is about where it should be for thirty astral pearls. I mean, astrals are kinda easy to get, but thirty is still a notable chunk. The paths let it be good at support, but it doesn't look as good as some other stuff as a thug, so the holy seems like it's a fallback measure.

Am I way off here? Inform me.

edit: Also, the pretender chassis on the previous page are pretty cool, but I had understood that low Astral on a Pretender is basically a deathwish, idiotic, suicide move, as anybody who notices it will Mage Duel him as soon as they notice. Wrong again?

John Lee fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 26, 2014

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

John Lee posted:

I fully admit to being a scrub, but can somebody tell me why the Fravashi is so good? It looks 'pretty good' to me, which is about where it should be for thirty astral pearls. I mean, astrals are kinda easy to get, but thirty is still a notable chunk. The paths let it be good at support, but it doesn't look as good as some other stuff as a thug, so the holy seems like it's a fallback measure.

edit: Also, the pretender chassis on the previous page are pretty cool, but I had understood that low Astral on a Pretender is basically a deathwish, idiotic, suicide move, as anybody who notices it will Mage Duel him as soon as they notice. Wrong again?

Compare it to a golem, who is the same price and research tier but isn't sacred, can't mistform, has significantly worse attack/def, can't fly, and needs a starshine cap to teleport (Fravashi can cloud trapeze). The only thing the golem has is +40 hp (keep in mind golems can't regen hp using items) and 0 encumbrance vs 1. Being mindless is situationally useful but the whole no-retreat thing often just leads to your fully kitted golem dying to 50 turns of skelespam.

Those pretenders are just showing their base magic paths. Anyone will take Astral magic up a few points to compensate. Again, compare them against the other 0 point pretenders and you'll quickly notice a very big difference.

Has anyone tested out "Unclaiming of thrones now happens before victory and before income" - does this mean teleporting onto thrones and claiming them for a win no longer guarantees victory? Or does the battle step still happen after victory + throne claiming in turn order and "unclaiming" is some specific situational thing?

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 26, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

John Lee posted:

I fully admit to being a scrub, but can somebody tell me why the Fravashi is so good?
OK it has:

Ethereality (meaning 3/4 miss chance to non-magic damage that would otherwise hit).
Lots of Fire Resist (meaning immunity to Flaming Arrows, a normally good way to get magic damage, and heat in general).
Awe, which is a big deal because most non-spell Magic damage is hand to hand, which Awe shuts down at least a bit.
Four flying MA (unlike land MA, you can attack any province within that range)
Ability to take thrones.
Nearly no natural encumbrance.
Great base stats.
Astral to cast just about any Air or Holy spell you want in communion that you can't already, plus it can keep summoning more of itself with a Starshine Cap, provided you have the gems for it.

quote:

Which is why you boost it during creation.

I'm guessing the unclaiming thing is to do with dead factions' scales or something?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

John Lee posted:

There are a lot of national summons that are very similar to the Fravashi in the 25-35 pearl range, and the Fravashi is just a little bit better than all of them

e: the 15-gem pairika is absolutely insane though

Samog fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 26, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Remember guys that Ragha has to compete with poo poo like LA Mictlan and Bogarus and LA Ulm and Gath. They need to be pretty powerful and have some things that make you go "Whoa!" when you look at them because there are a lot of bullshit powerful nations in LA.

People are also really overreacting to the pretenders; remember guys you can't make your pretender immune to everything anymore. The Ahuras will be great raiders and early game SC's but mid and lategame they're just going to die like any other unsupported SC.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
i disagree

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Remember guys that Ragha has to compete with poo poo like LA Mictlan and Bogarus and LA Ulm and Gath. They need to be pretty powerful and have some things that make you go "Whoa!" when you look at them because there are a lot of bullshit powerful nations in LA.
Ragha actually has pretty comparable research output to Bogarus, because it gets 13rp mages (with significantly better combat paths) in hot and cold provinces, and they can take another 120 points of scales by going Heat-3 (prostrat) or Cold-3 (scrub tier) as well as Drain to ensure it gets the "right" recruitment.

They're competing with a couple of really strong factions, but also the factions like Pan. Ragha also kinda supplants LA Abysia by having most of the same themes on its Turans, but better troops (including an Abysian mammoth to go with the Abysian Sauromatian cavalry and Caelan raiding troops, plus Ultra Wind Riders), better mages in nearly every respect, and much more magic and pretender diversity.

Oh yeah, the other thing - you know those Fravashi guys we called bullshit? Sometimes a lesser form of them just shows up in battles involving your mages! (they're the Guardian Spirit people were speculating about)

An Overpowered Faction.

quote:

People are also really overreacting to the pretenders; remember guys you can't make your pretender immune to everything anymore.
You never could!

quote:

The Ahuras will be great raiders and early game SC's but mid and lategame they're just going to die like any other unsupported SC.
None of them have less than 2 paths, and they currently cost no points, so you can just use them as excellent RP platforms when things start to get hairy. You'd have to do it with a dragon, and their output is worse, so whatever.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, so that's the Guardian Spirit thing! I was curious about it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My prophet managed to summon one of those fravashis in the middle of a battle and then went on to cast random spells he shouldn't have had access to, like phantasmal warrior. Repeatedly. He was not a mage. :wtc:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Suggests they work off an independent spell list.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I got the guardian spirit as Caelum. Caelum is pretty fun now.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Dang these changes are pretty cool. What about early and middle era Caelum? How are they looking in general now?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

How are u posted:

Dang these changes are pretty cool. What about early and middle era Caelum? How are they looking in general now?

These changes arent cool

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The A1S1 Fravashi btw is spawned by Caelum's Prophet; their Prophet makes an A1S1 Fravashi at the start of every combat. He is of course always unscripted so good luck getting him to do anything useful.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

The A1S1 Fravashi btw is spawned by Caelum's Prophet; their Prophet makes an A1S1 Fravashi at the start of every combat. He is of course always unscripted so good luck getting him to do anything useful.
Free Awed 35hp ethereal monster with a magic attack, 15 shock/fire resist and its own spell table, pfft, basically worthless.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

jBrereton posted:

Free Awed 35hp ethereal monster with a magic attack, 15 shock/fire resist and its own spell table, pfft, basically worthless.

I said good luck my good sir! And good day!

I'm sure he will do something useful. Like attacking the enemy. So what if his actions won't be super efficient and maybe he will die in the process. He a free battle-only spawn, you can't keep it even if he survives at the end!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dev says:

quote:

0 on the Ahuras seems rather low =)
Consider it a gift to those who bravely start MP games with Ragha before there are opinions on them.
And the forgebonus on the icecrafters is not intended IIRC.
And the gryphon should be armored. EDIT: ah, it's just the sprite that is missing.

The balancing on Ragha in regards to the heat/cold recruitment is probably a bit whacky. Since the nation is quite different from earlier nations I do not expect it to be balanced yet, so any input is good.
I'm not sure about the Zhayedan cost. I used the Hunter spider as input, and Niefel Giant as something that likely should be more expensive and ended up at 125.

I have been a bit short on testing time and JK is always eager to release stuff (if it was up to me it would probably take a couple of weeks more before the patch was released :) ), so some balancing is probably needed.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
What exactly did they change about Abysia apart from getting new pretenders? I thought they were going to get some sort of change/buff?

I was surprised by the EA Caelum changes, a scales build is looking pretty interesting (yay for theory-crafting!)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I kept on hearing about Abysia changes myself, but I never could find a concrete message about it- all I've found are two new pretenders and convenient access to the Fire Spirit a (generic) conjuration six summon that is a bit redundant w/regards to Abysia.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TRILLWINTER

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

As a matter of proper etiquette: Thanks to the people who replied to me, your opinions were very useful!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hmmm I'm seeing a lot of people bitching about a perceived overpowered nation that hasn't been playtested at all and most importantly who are forgetting about the single most important strategy in Dominions: diplomacy.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

Except it doesn't use its magic attack it just sits at the back and casts star fires all day. Yaaay.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How are u posted:

Hmmm I'm seeing a lot of people bitching about a perceived overpowered nation that hasn't been playtested at all and most importantly who are forgetting about the single most important strategy in Dominions: diplomacy.

Ehhh that's a bit too close to say that it doesn't matter if they release a OP nation because it will be solved through diplomacy. I.e. producing a MA Ermor-like situation where all players gang up on him because they knew it's OP, which counters the unbalance naturally.

But, following that line of thought, balance doesn't matter at all in the game!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Except the reality is that nobody has played a real game with Ragha yet so we don't know if they're OP or not, not really. It'll take months and actual playtesting (as opposed to sitting in our armchairs decrying the rise of rock and roll power of Ragha) to be sure.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Someone start a game and let me play Ragha, if I win bam we know it's op.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Gath temples need to generate blood slaves. :colbert:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Neruz posted:

Except the reality is that nobody has played a real game with Ragha yet so we don't know if they're OP or not, not really. It'll take months and actual playtesting (as opposed to sitting in our armchairs decrying the rise of rock and roll power of Ragha) to be sure.

They should be replaced by size 1 dwarven Ermored armored militia freespawn and used in a newbie game. I mean, we can't know if it's overpowered until we've seen it in action, right?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

my dad posted:

They should be replaced by size 1 dwarven Ermored armored militia freespawn and used in a newbie game. I mean, we can't know if it's overpowered until we've seen it in action, right?

Oh ho ho you're such a card.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
The 0 cost pretenders sound like a work-in-progress and personally I don't think the fire gem temples are necessarily game breaking unless there really exists some kind of temple->boosted transmutation cycle that leads to really good returns (based on my one time trying out transmutation, this seems unlikely).

That Pairaika is better than a freaking Tlahuelpuchi though, which is really saying something. And on top of that, Tlahuelpuchi are one research level higher. Meanwhile, I love national variation as much as the next guy but poor Lilots are 25 N gems.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 27, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

F9 pretender builds can get quite a lot of gold per gem. 20+2x(fire-2) per gem for transmute fire, double if you use the master alchemist chassis. That's up to about 70 per gem if you really work at it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dis astranagant posted:

F9 pretender builds can get quite a lot of gold per gem. 20+2x(fire-2) per gem for transmute fire, double if you use the master alchemist chassis. That's up to about 70 per gem if you really work at it.

So a Ragha temple would take around 12 turns to pay itself back with a dedicated fire alchemy build. (Ragha's temples cost 800 gold)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks like Ragha doesn't get master alchemist so make that 2 years. 18 months if you're using a mod that de-artifacts Alchemist's Stone.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
aka will never be worth it

• Locked thread