Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
My favourite piracy links:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/01/29/3678851.htm

The music in the antipiracy ad is pirated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiciMY0koYM

Buckley makes a bunch of jokes about how dumb people can be about Intellectual property.

Now as a musician with a stake in getting part of the edifice that is music industry royalties I'm a little conflicted. None the less I have zero sympathy for the record companies that took 62% of every cent I ever made through them. Sucks to be you guys :shrug:. Personal sales see me getting 75% of the take and the difference between that and 5% (the very best I could get from a label) adds up fast.

EDIT - Look what I just found!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bonjn5_ieI

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Netflix is amazing, and everyone should get onto it.

That is all.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
If you have 90 minutes RiP!: A Remix Manifesto is a really interesting documentary that deals with copyright and IP laws and how they've changed for the benefit of corporations in the last fifty years.

Give it a bookmark as it's well worth checking out.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Cartoon posted:

Buckley makes a bunch of jokes about how dumb people can be about Intellectual property.

Now as a musician with a stake in getting part of the edifice that is music industry royalties I'm a little conflicted. None the less I have zero sympathy for the record companies that took 62% of every cent I ever made through them. Sucks to be you guys :shrug:. Personal sales see me getting 75% of the take and the difference between that and 5% (the very best I could get from a label) adds up fast.

I remember reading years ago, I wish I could remember the source, and correct me if I'm wrong, but 70% of all major recording artist's income comes from live performance, with the exception of artist who own huge merchandise lines (Jay-Z/Rocawear).

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 26, 2014

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I'm not sure if the footage in this link is timeline but whatever, it's horrible and we should marvel at how horrible it is

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/jun/25/scott-morrisons-urges-asylum-seekers-to-return?CMP=soc_568

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Amethyst posted:

I'm not sure if the footage in this link is timeline but whatever, it's horrible and we should marvel at how horrible it is

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/jun/25/scott-morrisons-urges-asylum-seekers-to-return?CMP=soc_568

I found this earlier and I'm now barred from all forms of contact to Scott Morrison.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/24/angus-campbell-believes-australia-is-consistently-generous-with-refugees

quote:

The military commander of Australia's people-smuggling crackdown, Lieutenant General Angus Campbell, believes Australia is seen as reasonable and generous in its treatment of refugees.

What a shock that a man whose job is to murder or facilitate murder thinks that not murdering is the height of compassion.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The fact that we literally have a Department of Immigration and Border Protection and no longer a Department of Immigration and Citizenship is remarkably telling, especially in my current situation.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Captain Pissweak posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/24/angus-campbell-believes-australia-is-consistently-generous-with-refugees

What a shock that a man whose job is to murder or facilitate murder thinks that not murdering is the height of compassion.

Come on man, Australia is seen as reasonable and generous in its treatment of refugees! I mean, the refugees coming to Australia think they will be treated pretty well! How could a nation with such wealth and prosperity not share it with a minuscule number of people fleeing crisis and genocide and simply hoping to find a place where they can live, work and hope for a life without the constant specter of death hovering over them? It's impossible for human beings to be that cruel! :suicide:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

The military commander of Australia's people-smuggling crackdown, Lieutenant General Angus Campbell, believes Australia is seen as reasonable and generous in its treatment of refugees, a misconception the government is doing their best to fix

Corrected that for LITERALLY WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Bompacho posted:

I remember reading years ago, I wish I could remember the source, and correct me if I'm wrong, but 70% of all major recording artist's income comes from live performance, with the exception of artist who own huge merchandise lines (Jay-Z/Rocawear).

Apparently these days acts are told not to expect money from the record sales and instead to make it from merchandising. In that book I recommended a little earlier this evening, several people in the industry interviewed point out that touring all the time is just not possible for most acts, and that they as artists need time out for creating new material. They also have a lot to say about the arguments people infringing on copyright use - while the actors and writers of television shows such as Game of Thrones get paid irrespective of whether one or a million people torrent the show, with music the copyright infringement directly hits not only record company's, but also the creators bottom lines as their royalties are primarily determined by total sales.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

quote:

Clive Palmer’s climate plan in doubt
PUBLISHED: 3 HOURS 54 MINUTES AGO | UPDATE: 0 HOUR 53 MINUTES AGO
http://www.afr.com/Page/Uuid/3c994d58-fcc0-11e3-9221-92063abb4fe6

The government may defeat Clive Palmer’s proposed emissions trading scheme when legislation to abolish the carbon tax is debated in July.

Such a rebuff to Mr Palmer would leave Australia without any major price mechanism – present or future – to reduce emissions, a situation described by climate groups as disastrous, but welcomed by business.

Mr Palmer has agreed his party will vote for the repeal of the carbon tax but has not made this support contingent on the establishment of a trading scheme.

The Australian Financial Review has been told Mr Palmer had wanted to link the two issues but could not get it past his three senators, Dio Wang, Glenn Lazarus and Jacqui Lambie.

It is also understood that former United States vice-president and climate change crusader, Al Gore, had wanted Mr Palmer to link the two issues. When Mr Palmer was unable to do so, Mr Gore only agreed to appear with him on Wednesday for the release of his climate change policy response if Mr Palmer agreed to block the government abolishing or watering down the Renewable Energy Target, or RET, until after 2016.

Government sources said given the Coalition does not support an emissions trading scheme as policy, it was therefore unlikely to back Mr Palmer’s plan, especially as there were no consequences for doing so.

It could use its lower house numbers to defeat any changes made in the Senate. When the new Senate sits on July 7, the Palmer United Party will vote to abolish the carbon tax but also block the government’s alternative direct action plan, an opt-in scheme in which polluters would be paid $2.5 billion from the budget to reduce emissions. Mr Palmer derided this as a waste of money and neither the Greens nor Labor support it.

His proposed ETS, even if it does survive, would have a zero price on carbon and be dormant until if or when Australia’s major trading partners – the US, Japan, Korea and China – joined Australia and the European Union in pricing carbon.

While Mr Palmer was optimistic the world was moving quickly towards such a consensus, a senior government source estimated nothing would happen until at least 2060, and the Climate Institute’s John Connor estimated the mid-2020s.

Despite abolishing the carbon tax and plumping for an ETS, Mr Palmer will join Labor and the Greens to stop the government abolishing the RET, the Clean Energy Finance Corporation, and the Climate Change Authority (CCA). His push to establish an emissions trading scheme will be linked to the CCA bill, one of 11 bills in the legislative package.

Another bill provides to block the increase in the tax-free threshold which was part of Labor’s original carbon tax compensation package.
Mr Palmer will join with Labor and the Greens in scuttling this measure, blowing another $1.5 billion hole in the federal government’s budget.

The Greens and Labor derided Mr Palmer’s proposed ETS as a stunt but Labor may yet support it once their own policy, an emissions trading scheme with a floating price linked to that of Europe, is defeated.

The government and business welcomed Mr Palmer’s pledge to abolish the carbon tax. One source said the government was happy to keep the RET, the CCA and the CEFC if it meant getting rid of the carbon tax. On Thursday night in the Lower House, the government removed the CEFC abolition from the carbon tax abolition package it was rushing through.

The only condition Mr Palmer put on the carbon tax abolition was that the energy price reductions for consumers be legislated.

Mr Abbott gave Mr Palmer an assurance when they had their first meeting in two years on Thursday morning, which Mr Palmer described as “ a meeting of the minds’’. Environment Minister Greg Hunt assured Mr Palmer in Parliament that “we are happy to enshrine in legislation guarantees over and above what we already intend’’.

With nothing but the RET left to aid emissions abatement, Mr Connor of the Climate Institute lamented the policy vacuum about to be created as “disastrous”. Mr Connor said the Coalition should support Mr Palmer’s ETS proposal because Mr Abbott had promised in opposition that the Coalition would “adjust their policies with evidence of international action”.

Baker & McKenzie Partner, emissions trading expert and CEFC board member Martijn Wilder said Mr Palmer’s decision would remove all obligations on polluters in Australia, and create “a degree of uncertainty as to where that leaves Australia”.

The Business Council of Australia continued to express its disdain for the RET, while Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive officer Kate Carnell was critical of the RET and ETS decisions.

While she welcomed Mr Palmer’s decision to axe the carbon tax, it was “worrying that PUP has signalled a new period of uncertainty over carbon by flagging support for some form of emissions trading scheme’’, she said.

The RET was an “enormously expensive policy failure”.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Another win for Australia and the environment!

quote:

Glencore tax bill on $15b income: zip, zilch, zero

Date June 27, 2014
http://www.smh.com.au/business/glencore-tax-bill-on-15b-income-zip-zilch-zero-20140626-3awg0.html

Australia's largest coalminer, Glencore, paid almost zero tax over the past three years, despite income of $15 billion, as it radically reduced its tax exposure by taking large, unnecessarily expensive loans from its associates overseas.

At up to 9 per cent, the interest rates on these $3.4 billion in loans were double what the company would have had to pay had it simply borrowed the money from the bank.

As it was claiming tax breaks in Australia on these inflated interest payments, the secretive Swiss-based multinational actually increased its lending to other related parties interest free. This may include its executives. Nobody from Glencore, which used to be called Xstrata, was available for comment despite repeated requests.

The aggressive tax avoidance tactics of Glencore Coal International Australia Pty Ltd have been identified in an independent analysis of the company's accounts for Fairfax Media by an expert in multinational financing.

Along with the blatant irregularities in its borrowing and lending, the study also found a hefty increase in Glencore's coal sales to related companies (up from 27 per cent to 46 per cent of total sales, with no explanation), indicative of transfer pricing - also known as profit-shifting - and an activity that appears to breach Section IVA of the Income Tax Assessment Act - the part that deals with schemes designed to comply technically with the law but whose ''dominant purpose'' is really to avoid tax.

''The reality is that the whole of the Glencore Xstrata Group is now run as a series of business units controlled by one company (Glencore Xstrata Plc, incorporated in the UK, listed on the London and other stock exchanges), with its registered office in Jersey (a tax haven) and its head office is in Baar (Switzerland),'' the report said.

''The truth is that Glencore Coal Investments Australia's operations in Australia are, because of the Group's business model, branch operations of the Swiss-domiciled parent entity, which uses the now dormant legal shell of an Australian body corporate in an attempt to hide the reality of its branch business in Australia.

''There also appears to be an increase in transfer pricing activity which may explain differences in revenues disclosed in the Australian accounts versus revenues reported as being from the same source in the group's consolidated accounts.''

The source of the analysis is a former multinational executive who is independent of Glencore and its commercial rivals, prefers to remain anonymous but is personally concerned at the rampant levels of tax evasion and tax avoidance by multinationals operating in Australia.

The focus on Glencore's tax is timely. Research from the Australia Institute this week identified $17.6 billion in government subsidies and assistance for the mining industry. As the third largest resources group in the country after BHP and Rio Tinto, Glencore is a beneficiary of this largesse.

The figures earlier in the story refer merely to the group's coal interests. Its nickel, copper and zinc assets are of a similar size to its coal operations and its presence in Queensland - where the Australia Institute's study highlighted $9.5 billion of taxpayer assistance - is enormous.

As is the trend among the new wave of digital giants, such as Google and Apple. Multinationals are increasingly likely to regard the payment of tax in Australia as an optional affair. The ramifications for the country's tax base are dire.

Glencore is an extreme case: founded as it is by US tax exile Marc Rich, controlled from a tax haven, and with a colourful history as a corporate maverick.

It is chaired by Swiss-based Ivan Glasenberg, who ranks No.5 on BRW's rich list announced this week, after lifting his wealth by $1.01 billion on the back of Glencore's rising share price.

In the past two years globally, this company has presided over 53 workplace deaths, a worse safety record than BHP and Rio Tinto.

It's a very long article so click the link to get the full story, the rest is well worth a read.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.
Best news I've seen all year:

Royal Commission into ASIC and the CBA recommended

http://www.smh.com.au/business/bank...0625-3asy6.html

quote:

A powerful Senate inquiry has called for the Commonwealth Bank of Australia to face a royal commission to investigate fraud, forgery and allegations of a cover-up inside its financial planning arm.

The between the lines bit is that ASIC will be investigated too. ASIC so hosed up the investigation that a do over Royal Commission into what the gently caress ASIC was thinking and what CBA did is now recommended.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Hypation posted:

The between the lines bit is that ASIC will be investigated too. ASIC so hosed up the investigation that a do over Royal Commission into what the gently caress ASIC was thinking and what CBA did is now recommended.

Yeah, the banking sector really needs less regulation right now.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Hypation posted:

I am a bit biased, but ASIC is the most hopeless entity on earth, and anything that might lead to serious reform or its destruction is welcome.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hey, TOML, I contacted the Ombudsman. They mentioned lodging a formal complaint with DIBP, which I've done, and depending on the result of this I'll get the Ombudsman involved (which means I bet I'll be getting them involved). But the agent I spoke to also mentioned a CDA claim which, by the sounds of it, is the best way to try and get the fees back from the DIBP - but I can't find any reference to it anywhere. Do you - or anyone in Auspol! - know anything about this?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Tones has ruled out a RC even as a Nationals senator has said we need a wide ranging RC into white collar crime. I wonder why Tones doesn't like the idea :allears:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Ler posted:

Palmer and the ETS

The question on my mind is whether Palmer is using his senators to keep his image intact. 'Hey guys, I tried, but well we're a democracy and the rest of the party said no!'.

I find it hard to believe a billionaire political party leader goes to his party to determine the direction on big issues after he has said publicly he will include an ETS as a condition on repealing the current system. He has said he doesn't want one in the past, I'm not inclined to believe he had a sudden change of heart and then backed down to three fresh politicians with questionable backgrounds in the party he runs.

I'm quickly learning to hate Palmer. He's looking a lot more like a far-righter with a veneer of populism. Let alone his somewhat vested interests - I mean how did we let someone with so much to gain from the political process into such a powerful political position? :psyduck:

Let's see what, if anything, happens with refugee 'processing'. If he's actually backing down to Jacqui Lambi already, though, I dread to think.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
He is still better than the ALP.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
the more I hear from Clive the more I think he's just a catalyst from where polling would tell the other parties to go policy-wise anyway. That's all his supposed populism is.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Sanguine posted:

The question on my mind is whether Palmer is using his senators to keep his image intact. 'Hey guys, I tried, but well we're a democracy and the rest of the party said no!'.

I find it hard to believe a billionaire political party leader goes to his party to determine the direction on big issues after he has said publicly he will include an ETS as a condition on repealing the current system. He has said he doesn't want one in the past, I'm not inclined to believe he had a sudden change of heart and then backed down to three fresh politicians with questionable backgrounds in the party he runs.

I'm quickly learning to hate Palmer. He's looking a lot more like a far-righter with a veneer of populism. Let alone his somewhat vested interests - I mean how did we let someone with so much to gain from the political process into such a powerful political position? :psyduck:

Let's see what, if anything, happens with refugee 'processing'. If he's actually backing down to Jacqui Lambi already, though, I dread to think.

Knew the bastard couldn't be trusted. This senate is going to be the government's best friend.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Clive Palmer is undoubtedly this country's second greatest hope.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Hey, TOML, I contacted the Ombudsman. They mentioned lodging a formal complaint with DIBP, which I've done, and depending on the result of this I'll get the Ombudsman involved (which means I bet I'll be getting them involved). But the agent I spoke to also mentioned a CDA claim which, by the sounds of it, is the best way to try and get the fees back from the DIBP - but I can't find any reference to it anywhere. Do you - or anyone in Auspol! - know anything about this?
It's the CDDA scheme - Compensation for detriment caused by defective administration. It's kind of a measure of last resort when a department has hosed up and there is no legal liability. It might help you get the fees back but won't help with the actual problem - that the visa was denied. The decision to award compensation under the scheme is discretionary and sort of unreviewable, but if you're having problems with it the Ombudsman can lean on the department if they're interested. The start of this fact sheet sums up the scheme pretty well, so is probably a good place to start:http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/docs/fact-sheets/FactSheet9_CDDA.pdf

There's also a pretty big report about the scheme with case studies here.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The forum's were down when this came up:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/morrison-backs-new-requirements-to-avoid-refoulement/5551254

quote:

Gov wants higher standards met for non-refoulement

Thursday 26 June 2014 7:51AM

The Federal Government has introduced legislation into Parliament that seeks to dramatically overhaul determinations for asylum seekers.

The Bill will require rejected rejected asylum seekers to prove a greater than 50 per cent chance that they will suffer harm in their home country, in order to avoid being sent back there.

Guest - Professor William Maley
Vice President of the Refugee Council of Australia

Not the abomination that is 'If only one out of every two sent back are tortured or killed that's AOK with us!' but the comments by Maley. You have to listen to the Audio but he made a great point that bears further coinage:

The calculus of death that the Tories spout in justifying STOP THE BOATS is a crock. Rather than 'preventing' those deaths we are just exporting the carnage with every likelihood that it will lead to more deaths. If the avenue of dangerous passage to Australia is closed then genuine refugees will be force into more dangerous pathways with more unscrupulous operators. Sure it isn't our SAR people ignoring their calls for help but the deaths will still mount.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

quote:

The Australian Financial Review has been told Mr Palmer had wanted to link the two issues but could not get it past his three senators, Dio Wang, Glenn Lazarus and Jacqui Lambie.

Ahahahahahahaha we're hosed. This triumvirate of bogans will side with Abbott on all of the worst legislation.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hyperbowl posted:

It's the CDDA scheme - Compensation for detriment caused by defective administration. It's kind of a measure of last resort when a department has hosed up and there is no legal liability. It might help you get the fees back but won't help with the actual problem - that the visa was denied. The decision to award compensation under the scheme is discretionary and sort of unreviewable, but if you're having problems with it the Ombudsman can lean on the department if they're interested. The start of this fact sheet sums up the scheme pretty well, so is probably a good place to start:http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/docs/fact-sheets/FactSheet9_CDDA.pdf

Thanks! Yeah, it wouldn't fix the core problem, but it would allow us to apply again without having to take another three thousand dollar hit. It wouldn't be perfect but, in my eyes, that's the least they can and should do. Just another avenue to explore.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Amethyst posted:

Ahahahahahahaha we're hosed. This triumvirate of bogans will side with Abbott on all of the worst legislation.

Not sure I'd call Dio Wang a bogan but yeah.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Only a matter of time until Lambie goes rogue.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

:stare:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
If anybody wants to listen to a libertarian idiot get taken to the cleaners, listen to a recording of Jon Faine's show this morning between about 9:30 and 10:30.

Every Friday Faine gets a token lefty and a token righty on to discuss the week's events and take calls. Usually, the token righty is John Roskam. Roskam was unavailable this week, failing to be discharged from the burn ward in time. In his place, was the IPA's junior lickspittle, James Patterson.

Patterson is nowhere near as skilled in peddling bullshit as Roskam. In a discussion on 457 visas, listeners were treated to a systemically dismantling of Patterson's argument, from host and caller alike. His voice got progressively whinier throughout the hour, clearly agitated at his audience's unwillingness to swallow the line that "457 visas don't cost jobs and if you think they do then you're a racist". Towards the end, when the discussion had moved on to the ascension of refugee Hieu Van Lee to governor of South Australia, Patterson decided to have another crack, arguing that if you think 457 visas are being abused, then surely you think Lee's appointment shouldn't have happened because he is a foreigner and has taken an Australian job. Patterson had demonstrated himself to be truly and utterly out of his intellectual depth, to the point where talkback radio callers were able to easily point out why he was wrong.

Glorious listening.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Haters Objector posted:

If anybody wants to listen to a libertarian idiot get taken to the cleaners, listen to a recording of Jon Faine's show this morning between about 9:30 and 10:30.

Every Friday Faine gets a token lefty and a token righty on to discuss the week's events and take calls. Usually, the token righty is John Roskam. Roskam was unavailable this week, failing to be discharged from the burn ward in time. In his place, was the IPA's junior lickspittle, James Patterson.

Patterson is nowhere near as skilled in peddling bullshit as Roskam. In a discussion on 457 visas, listeners were treated to a systemically dismantling of Patterson's argument, from host and caller alike. His voice got progressively whinier throughout the hour, clearly agitated at his audience's unwillingness to swallow the line that "457 visas don't cost jobs and if you think they do then you're a racist". Towards the end, when the discussion had moved on to the ascension of refugee Hieu Van Lee to governor of South Australia, Patterson decided to have another crack, arguing that if you think 457 visas are being abused, then surely you think Lee's appointment shouldn't have happened because he is a foreigner and has taken an Australian job. Patterson had demonstrated himself to be truly and utterly out of his intellectual depth, to the point where talkback radio callers were able to easily point out why he was wrong.

Glorious listening.

Is there a link for this for us westerners? I need something to cheer me up after hearing about 50% refoulment.... loving hell.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hypation posted:

I remember reading about this as it broke last year.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/cba-covered-up-misconduct-by-rogue-financial-planner-20130531-2nh9x.html

The latest response from the fellow in question is that he never had any formal training and no one ever told him that what he was doing was wrong.

I work for another of the big 4 and I sincerely doubt that he had no formal training - my organisation has yearly repeatable courses for all staff both on bank policy and what's required under law.

I would imagine that the CBA has similar requirements - and I would imagine that common sense would tell you that forging signatures is wrong.

Given the original article I read a year ago had the CBA allegedly asking for signed letters of offer from the customer, then when the clients said they couldn't locate it, the CBA produced new letters of offer they claimed were replicas of the original letters, only with clauses that allowed the wrong doings which were then withdrawn when the clients did actually produce the originals, I would imagine they knew all about it.

This being said, all of the above information was taken from Fairfax over a year ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

hyperbowl posted:

I'd never heard of this. Great thing to learn about.

Good luck Milks!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

hooman posted:

Is there a link for this for us westerners? I need something to cheer me up after hearing about 50% refoulment.... loving hell.

Yeah, I must hear this.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I thought the tribunal was like the courts and putting percentages in terms of probability was officially a no no, like how you would say more likely than not, a real chance, a significant chance, not trivial, beyond reasonable doubt etc but not oh there's a 27% chance

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hey, found the article

quote:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/profit-above-all-else-how-cba-lost-savings-and-hid-its-tracks-20130531-2nhde.html

On June 20, Nguyen was called into a meeting with senior management and Group Security, and confronted with his various wrongdoings. He was not sacked on the spot but allowed to go away and resign on July 6, citing illness. CBA advised his former clients only that he had resigned.

Concerned about the scale of the problem, CBA went into damage control. It set up Project Hartnett, with 10 case managers busily working on Nguyen's files, and others assigned to clean up the steaming pile of mess as the financial crisis wreaked havoc on the financial markets.

Documents reveal Nguyen had placed the Blanchs, along with many other clients, into high-risk investment products, contrary to instructions. As the financial crisis raged on, these investments went into free-fall.

It is here things started to get complicated for the Blanchs, and the bank.On July 23, 2009, two weeks after Nguyen had resigned, a letter appeared that set alarm bells ringing for the elderly couple. A client relations manager let it drop that they had invested in "high risk" investments. "After looking at your account, I can see that most of the options you are invested in are high-risk options," the letter said. The second bombshell was that some of their money had been placed without authorisation in a mystery high-risk global infrastructure product offered by CBA.

Gobsmacked by the contents of the letter, they went on a mission to get answers. Instead they received requests for their original documents. They refused.
Then a letter arrived that changed the Blanchs' world. It was sent by CFP's customer experience manager on October 21, 2009. It contradicted the previous letter and said a review of the file indicated they were "moderate risk" investors. The letter included a table that claimed to be from the original documents prepared by Nguyen. "Based on the above evidence, CFP believes Mr Nguyen did meet your stated aspirations, needs and objectives."

Trawling through the letter and document, they discovered the table was different from the one in the original document. The letter also said it could not confirm why a "portion of their investment had been placed in the FirstChoice Global Infrastructure option". But in light of the oversight, CBA made a "final" compensation offer to the Blanchs of $6777 as a sign of "goodwill", without CFP admitting any liability.

The Blanchs were now hell bent on getting the bank to produce documents, which arrived about a month later. They were markedly different from the original documents. "I was stunned," their daughter said. Nguyen had left the bank in July; yet the cover letter, which included his name, was dated September 7, 2009. New pages had been added to the document, including a new table of contents, new financial forecasts and footnotes with Nguyen's name had been removed.

The bank claimed the document was original, according to the Blanchs. One source said the changes had been tailored to retrospectively address various aspects of their complaint about the shortcomings of the advice they had actually received.

Once CFP realised the Blanchs had kept the original documents, one of its customer experience managers admitted to altering the Statement of Advice to "simplify things," minutes of a telephone conversation between the manager and Swan show.

The bank then offered to almost quadruple their compensation from $6777 to $25,000. Within three months, it was offering $95,000, but without admitting liability.

Desperate for the income, the Blanchs agreed to a settlement in July 2010. But the money did not compensate them for their pain and suffering. "This is the people's bank. We feel like we have been betrayed and lied to," Swan said. "Trying to get our money back was like prising it from a cold dead hand."

Their money now sits in a term deposit, but not with the CBA. "When we finally extracted the money and terminated the account, we were told we could invest in other products. I said, 'My god, how can you think we would do that? There aren't enough tranquilisers in the world to let me go there'," Swan said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/profit-above-all-else-how-cba-lost-savings-and-hid-its-tracks-20130531-2nhde.html#ixzz35niaK6aE

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Sir Shion posted:

Hey, found the article

Having worked at CBA, if you get called into a group security meeting you have hosed up BIG TIME.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Just did a job interview for a waitstaff position, here's hoping it goes to me and not one of the many 18 year old girls who applied for the bubbley personality requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Anidav posted:

Just did a job interview for a waitstaff position, here's hoping it goes to me and not one of the many 18 year old girls who applied for the bubbley personality requirement.

How much do they deduct from your pay if you the coffee you serve is slightly cooler than the optimal temp?

• Locked thread