Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Verman posted:

Holy poo poo are rental cars expensive in Seattle. Trying to put things together for our Cascades trip in august and apparently SEATAC tacks on a significant fee to make up for their lack of winter tourism so it looks like we will be taking the light rail into the city and picking up from there in order to save $450.

Mid SUV at the airport was around $700/week WITH coupons.
Mid SUV in the city was $250/week WITH coupons.

That's good to know. You're my weird mirror universe guy (live in Chicago, go up to the UP near Republic ) and we always seem to be taking similar trips (Rockies a few years ago, Cascades this year) so keep reporting in on my future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mastershakeman posted:

That's good to know. You're my weird mirror universe guy (live in Chicago, go up to the UP near Republic ) and we always seem to be taking similar trips (Rockies a few years ago, Cascades this year) so keep reporting in on my future!

When/where in the cascades are you going? Due to the suggestions in this thread, we are probably going to be heading into the Pasayten wilderness but we still have to pick a route. Our alternative options are Alpine lakes (often busy in summer) or North Cascades NP (limited # of permits + concrete itinerary).

I've been to Seattle several times but have only been able to day hike around Olympic NP, Snoqualmie, Rattle Snake Ridge? and one long amazing hike that nobody can remember where it was. I want to figure it out at some point. If I remember correctly it was south of Seattle a few hours and hiked up to an alpine lake. All I have are these photos - which were shot on film WAY back in 2004.

:gbsmith:

Verman fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 19, 2014

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Been hiking in Glacier.

Looking towards Iceberg Lake & Mt Wilbur etc from Crowfeet Mtn.

Crossing a snowy ridge to get to Sinopah summit, snow angle is 60° on either side and the runout goes for about 300 feet and ends at a cliff edge. Don't slip.

Saturday will be Flinsch & Rising Wolf, I did them last year but they're good early season hikes.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Shrinking Universe posted:

A bit late on the camera talk. I went for a 30km overnighter last weekend with my D600, 24mm F/2.8D (nice, light wide-angle), 70-300mm zoom (not so light zoom) and a tripod. All up about 6kg of camera gear. Last time I lugged that gear into the middle of nowhere (minus the tripod and zoom, took a Joby Focus Gorillapod instead) I got some sweet shots of the Milky Way.

That is beautiful.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Smoove J posted:

Crossing a snowy ridge to get to Sinopah summit, snow angle is 60° on either side and the runout goes for about 300 feet and ends at a cliff edge. Don't slip.
No offense but that's dumb as hell.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

evil_bunnY posted:

No offense but that's dumb as hell.

Agreed, it definitely got the adrenaline up.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Verman posted:

When/where in the cascades are you going? Due to the suggestions in this thread, we are probably going to be heading into the Pasayten wilderness but we still have to pick a route. Our alternative options are Alpine lakes (often busy in summer) or North Cascades NP (limited # of permits + concrete itinerary).

I've been to Seattle several times but have only been able to day hike around Olympic NP, Snoqualmie, Rattle Snake Ridge? and one long amazing hike that nobody can remember where it was. I want to figure it out at some point. If I remember correctly it was south of Seattle a few hours and hiked up to an alpine lake. All I have are these photos - which were shot on film WAY back in 2004.

:gbsmith:

My group got enchantment lake permits first weekend of October. We tried doing the north cascades two years ago, even bought plane tickets, but it fell apart.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
e;f;b

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Currently in a lodge on the peak of Mount Aka in Nagano, Japan, with 10 Japanese folks. Home-cooked dinner and breakfast included; Japan knows how to make mountain climbing easy.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Here's the view from Flinsh. There was lots of snow on the way up, I'm gonna need to carry my snowshoes for the next month. That big one in the center is Mt Stimson.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Goddamn that's a lot of snow for the end of June.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hiked 16 miles through a state park today. I have to pull the photos off my camera one day. Note to self - light is right.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Spent the weekend in Yosemite National Park.

It was awesome! I put off my visit for years because it's the most popular park, but I avoided the Valley (where the mall and god-knows-what-else is, ugh) and had a wonderful experience. I highly recommend a trail called Mono Pass, a moderate 5-mile hike that passes through meadows, streams, and forests to a spectacular view of Mono Lake.

At Hetch Hetchy, I heard rustling in the manzanita bushes 10 feet away from me. Then I heard a huffing noise, like a happy dog. It was not! Yup - a very tame bear feasting on berries. I slowly backed away and watched him wander off to another bush without even seeming to notice me - it was exhilarating.

Again, great park. You don't need to see the main attractions like Half Dome. There's plenty of great sights, wilderness and trails without people.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Telesphorus posted:

Spent the weekend in Yosemite National Park.

Awesome, I"m pretty excited for my trip coming up in a little over a month, though I won't get to spend a lot of time in Yosemite. Probably half a day in the Valley when I get in, then a full day around Tuolumne Meadows, and then I start hiking the JMT the day after starting at the Lyell Canyon trailhead. I wish I could have gotten a Happy Isles permit so I could see the country inbetween, even if it is a busy area, but oh well. Sometime in the future I'll have to try to get back out there to see the areas that aren't as crowded.

Kind of bummed it'll probably be a smokey summer when I'm hiking but what can you do, maybe I'll get lucky and the fires won't be bad or there will be some big rains to clear thing sout.

Also wondering if this will be my first backpacking trip where I see a bear, but I guess I'll find out...

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I have a MSR international white gas stove, but I have been debating using an alcohol stove (V8 or supercat) and was wondering if anyone here has experience with alcohol stoves IRL?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I've got a week of time for some hiking and camping in WA mid july. The northern cascades and the sahale glacier camp looks pretty spectacular. Anyone have experience there?

I've never been mountain hiking out west though, only experience in the Great Smokies and Juan De Fuca trail on Vancouver Island, so I am open to suggestions. Ideally hikes with really nice views and hike in 1 day, sleep, hike out next. I'll be going solo with my backcountry gear. The week before I'll be doing the same in BC and the week after up in the Yukon near Dawson City (tombstone park).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Any Colorado people want to go hiking on Monday or Tuesday? I've got some demo great that needs to get out through its paces.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ropes4u posted:

I have a MSR international white gas stove, but I have been debating using an alcohol stove (V8 or supercat) and was wondering if anyone here has experience with alcohol stoves IRL?

I have a white fuel Jetboil that I love, but I've got a couple of friends that have alcohol stoves and they really like them. They say they're very lightweight and reliable. They are very barebones, so you want to practice with it before heading out into the woods with friends (one buddy of mine scared the crap out of me trying to light his stove and the entire woods on fire). Their main drawback is poor cold weather performance, but most recreational campers don't go out in winter anyway.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Alcohol stoves loving suck for hikes that are longer than 1-2 days. I had a mini Trangia for years, I tried to like it, I really did. I got sick of it taking 10 minutes to boil a cup of water, 15 at high altitudes. I got sick of having to try and refuel the tiny stove when it was hot and ran dry while cooking. I got sick of carrying a litre of methylhydrate on long trips.

I caved and bought an Optimus Crux, a stove which weighs less than half that of the Trangia itself before fuel is counted. :v:

For my own question, whats the skinny on boots these days? I'm rocking some La Sportiva Thunder GTX or something, but they're getting pretty aged and after doing The Stein this summer are likely going to be retired mainly due to slipping on rock while scrambling and weighing nearly 2kg between them. I'm planning to through-hike the Janapar and the Lycian Way next year, any suggestions for boots that'll go the distance while not being made of lead and ovens on my feet? I was thinking a low top like the Patagonia Drifter A/C, or something with a mid-top.

Rime fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 26, 2014

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I used an alcohol stove on the AT and loved it. I'm never really in a hurry while I'm in the wilderness, so I don't care if it takes a bit longer to boil water, and I never cook anything that takes more than an ounce of alcohol to cook. My stove is made from a soda can, so it weighs almost nothing.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I like alcohol stoves, they're very quiet.

For boots, I like the Asolo TPS 520 GV, I saw some LL Bean boots a year ago but I can't remember their name. (edit, probably these http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/14774)

I just got a new pack, I'm leading more hikes and I feel the need to carry extra stuff in case someone I'm with forgets something and/or the unthinkable happens. Went with the Trion Guide 35+7, it's really great. No hikes this week, gotta take some kids to pole vault camp!

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 26, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I prefer my alcohol stove by far unless I'm in a blizzard or something. It's so simple to use, far less parts, and if you happen to spill fuel (which I seem to do frequently) your stuff won't stink like gas.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thanks everyone I think I will build some more alcohol stoves and give them a shot.

For shoes I like Merrell Moabs but I prefer ankle protection cause I'm an old dude.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Summitted Diamond Peak yesterday. It's the 4th tallest mountain in Idaho at 12,197 feet. Weather conditions were somewhat suspect when I started. A huge thunderstorm had just moved through the range and dropped a fresh dusting of powder at the top. There were only two other people out there and they decided to bail like 20 minutes in. I drove 4 hours for this so I figured I could at least get up the base a little before deciding things were going to suck enough for me to turn around.

Shrouded in clouds

The Riddler, so named for all the bendy rock

Things cleared up!

Lost River Range, the middle peak is Mt Borah

All in all a gorgeous day and those other guys definitely missed out. Not complaining though cause it meant I had the whole mountain to myself

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I'm gonna try my hand at Mt James this week for starters, hopefully the snow won't be a problem and even if it is I'm gonna do it.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-james/420105

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Full of the piss and vinegar that only a 4 day weekend can create, I wrangled a friend with a car into joining a trip up to Joffre Lakes for an overnight of Mountaineering. Since the weather forecast was for rain until Sunday and then 30+, I figured that plenty of people would go up Saturday, and head back Sunday, leaving the campgrounds free if we went Sunday & Monday. I was correct, and snagged the sick peninsula campsite. Plan was to explore the environs on the day of arrival, and then summit Tszil & Slalok or Taylor the following day.

Slalok from the Middle Joffre

The Matier Glacier, with campground visible in lower right behind tree

Couldn't get to the foot of the Matier due to a steep cornice above a gully and my lack of an ice-axe. While the 200' slide wouldn't kill you, you wouldn't be walking out. :(

Paused for lunch and a breather above camp, at about 5800 feet.

Nice waterfall on the foot of Slalok.

Sick sunset over what I believe to be Cayoosh mountain

Day 2: Flank of Slalok visible on the far upper left, Tszil in the center left, and Taylor on the right. The ridge below Taylor is the route up the col. In places this ridge is less than a foot wide, with a 400' drop on either side. :stare:

Tarns at the top of the Tszil-Taylor col. The snow below the center ridge was too crusty to ascend without an axe or spikes, foiling a direct ascent, and so steep that you'd pick up speed fast if you slipped.

I attempted to route around the bottom of Taylor through the boulder field, and then up to the ridge, but it got messy fast (that big one is the size of a house) and I noticed my watch had stopped (buddy had never scrambled before and stayed at the tarns) so I turned back. Foiled for the second time by rotten snow! :negative:

Crossing the foot of the Tszil glacier in preparation for...

Glissading! Because the best way to dscend several kilometers of steep glacier is to slide down it on your rear end and hope you don't fall in a crevasse! Sure beats the ridge.

And some alpine goodness on the way down, with the Matier glacier and Mount Joffre in the background.

Got back to camp, packed up, and hiked back out to the car, which made for a total descent of 7000 feet from the top of the col in one push (my sinuses loathe me). While I failed to achieve my summit goals, still a badass weekend and a good shake-down of all my gear in advance of The Stein later in the summer. I can confirm that the Capture Clip Pro (thanks Mr. Despair!) is one of the best pieces of gear I've bought in years, holy crap does it rock.

Definitely need new boots, I couldn't figure out why I was slipping so much, and then checked my tread when I got to the car and discovered that even vibram lugs go smooth after enough years. :v:

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 1, 2014

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Dang it! Those are great Joffre photos! I haven't had a chance to post mine.

Have they fixed the outhouse door yet?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Thanks!

The one at the lake campsite was fine. The one in the unmarked old glade campsite on the way to Tszil looked like a rape shack with no door at all.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So outfitting/gear-whore post here, just a warning.

I recently found a friend who can get me a pretty decent discount on dead-bird gear, the two things I've been eye-balling are a new daypack and a lightweight packable hardshell that I could use for wet-weather hikes in the pacific northwest as well as for snow-boarding. It's less critical that it serves the purpose for snowboarding as I have a Mountain Hardwear shell that is heavier duty with a waist gaiter and all that jazz but the hood won't fit over my helmet which is kind of frustrating.

I'm also looking at the Leaf Khard 30 backpack. I really like how it's fully velcro lined for adding pouches to the interior w/ food, layers, first aid, etc.
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&model=Khard-30

Can anyone give me any recommendations on which arc'teryx shells I should be looking for? still a little unclear about the differences between the alpha & beta lines. seems like either could suit my needs, I'll probably just end up heading down to REI and trying them all on but would love any anecdotes people have of ownership. Chances are I'd be wearing it over my patagonia down-sweater for insulation most of the time, or my arc'teryx epsilon sv soft-shell.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

MMD3 posted:

I recently found a friend who can get me a pretty decent discount on dead-bird gear, the two things I've been eye-balling are a new daypack and a lightweight packable hardshell that I could use for wet-weather hikes in the pacific northwest as well as for snow-boarding. It's less critical that it serves the purpose for snowboarding as I have a Mountain Hardwear shell that is heavier duty with a waist gaiter and all that jazz but the hood won't fit over my helmet which is kind of frustrating.

Can anyone give me any recommendations on which arc'teryx shells I should be looking for?

You probably want to look at the Traverse line, which is meant for hiking/backpacking. Any GoreTex jacket will work for snowboarding, but like with your Mountain Hardwear jacket, some features might fall short of what you'd want if you had a jacket solely for snowboarding. The traverse jackets will be lightweight and packable, whereas snowboarding jackets are not.

Let me know if you want more help. I love me some dead birds as well :)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Reformed Tomboy posted:

You probably want to look at the Traverse line, which is meant for hiking/backpacking. Any GoreTex jacket will work for snowboarding, but like with your Mountain Hardwear jacket, some features might fall short of what you'd want if you had a jacket solely for snowboarding. The traverse jackets will be lightweight and packable, whereas snowboarding jackets are not.

Let me know if you want more help. I love me some dead birds as well :)

Good advice, thanks!

looking like I'll probably want a Beta SL or Beta LT... not sure if the Beta AR would be more jacket than I need, it might be more in line with the Mt Hardwear jacket i have which is this one: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mountain-hardwear-snowpocalypse-dryq-elite-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~4486d/

I'll try to find them at REI hopefully to check them out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I finally got out on Sunday. I don't drive right now, and I always work weekends when my husband is free, but my boss screwed up a time off request so I had Sunday free! I did a short jaunt up to a place called C-Level Cirque, near Banff on the east slope of Cascade Mountain. Cascade is one of our iconic peaks and if you've seen pictures of Banff, you've seen pictures of it because the town is built at it's base.

We chose a little hike instead of a summit because a lot of peaks aren't in condition yet, and I had just spent the last three days going to a bachelorette/drunk BBQ/spent 16 hours shooting a wedding then getting drunk again so I was not fit for anything big.

The cirque is only 450m/1500' vertical from the parking lot, really easy to get to. If anyone's in Banff and looking for a hangover hike I suggest it. There's also some neat coal mining history on the way.

Old mining building by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Modern art by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Ventilation shaft by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

C-Level Cirque by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

On the snow by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Approaching the waterfall by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

The Bow Valley from C-Level Cirque by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

It was also very overcast, drizzling, and only about 10C/50F. Laying down on the snow in a tanktop for SnapChat purposes with my friends was a little chilly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MMD3 posted:

So outfitting/gear-whore post here, just a warning.

I'm also looking at the Leaf Khard 30 backpack. I really like how it's fully velcro lined for adding pouches to the interior w/ food, layers, first aid, etc.
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&model=Khard-30

Can anyone give me any recommendations on which arc'teryx shells I should be looking for? still a little unclear about the differences between the alpha & beta lines. seems like either could suit my needs, I'll probably just end up heading down to REI and trying them all on but would love any anecdotes people have of ownership. Chances are I'd be wearing it over my patagonia down-sweater for insulation most of the time, or my arc'teryx epsilon sv soft-shell.
Beta lt hybrid (shells without pit zips will always be miserable). Or an alpha lt.

Beta have a high collar that stays up when you drop the hood (they call it a drop hood), and pocket zips that go from nipple to hipbone.
Alpha have storm collar/hoods: it's easier to layer hooded insulation, and the collar comes higher when zipped up. They have crossover chest pockets (easier to get to when kited up).
Neither of these will be super great for boarding, but they're great lightweight-ish shells that won't make you miserable when you need them.

The khard packs are great, but they're designed to go over a plate carrier so the strap are really narrow.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'd be careful about using the same jacket for snowboarding and hiking unless you're getting that gear especially cheap. Personally, I'd just end up with a jacket that isn't ideal for either... I want a different hood, I want different fits, I want different pockets, I want different weights (or rather, I care less about weight when riding). A snowboarding jacket can have bells and whistles that a backpacking jacket can't/shouldn't. I'd probably err on buying gear more suited to hiking that can also function for snowboarding (which is what people are already recommending) but I think you're actually best off finding the jacket that's perfect for your hikes...

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

FWIW, I use a Theta AR as my ski jacket (backcountry touring) and as a wet-weather hiking jacket. And for going to the office in the rain. I got it over the beta because it's longer (which helps make up for not having a powder skirt) and had a better color in-stock. The new Gore Pro is pretty nice stuff, so an AR piece wouldn't be wrong if you're okay with the weight.

Though, I'm thinking about also getting an Alpha LT as a packable carry-along for days that should be dry.

That pack is nice, but it's part of the military line, so it may not actually be available through your friend's deal.

One last thing: Arc'teryx has a page on their site that explains the naming scheme. So that and the 'line' there in will give you a little better off an idea of what the jackets are intended for.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 2, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

evil_bunnY posted:

Beta lt hybrid (shells without pit zips will always be miserable). Or an alpha lt.

Beta have a high collar that stays up when you drop the hood (they call it a drop hood), and pocket zips that go from nipple to hipbone.
Alpha have storm collar/hoods: it's easier to layer hooded insulation, and the collar comes higher when zipped up. They have crossover chest pockets (easier to get to when kited up).
Neither of these will be super great for boarding, but they're great lightweight-ish shells that won't make you miserable when you need them.

The khard packs are great, but they're designed to go over a plate carrier so the strap are really narrow.

good call.. pit zips are certainly a compelling reason to go with the hybrid.... I didn't realize that was a differentiator between the two, hadn't looked at the hybrid closely enough. I'm alright w/ narrow straps as I'd just be using it for day-hikes & around town use. That's why I'd want the 30 rather than the 45. Nice to throw lunch, layers, map/gps, first aid kit, headlamp, water in and just get going.

disheveled posted:

I'd be careful about using the same jacket for snowboarding and hiking unless you're getting that gear especially cheap. Personally, I'd just end up with a jacket that isn't ideal for either... I want a different hood, I want different fits, I want different pockets, I want different weights (or rather, I care less about weight when riding). A snowboarding jacket can have bells and whistles that a backpacking jacket can't/shouldn't. I'd probably err on buying gear more suited to hiking that can also function for snowboarding (which is what people are already recommending) but I think you're actually best off finding the jacket that's perfect for your hikes...

yeah, this makes sense, I'd just keep my Mtn Hardwear jacket for dedicated snowboard use then. I've kind of been hating it for spring rainy weather because it's a lot bulkier than I need a general raincoat to be but it is a pretty good for snowboarding. It'd be nice to have something lighter weight for cross-country/snow-shoeing as well though as we typically do that on sunnier days where we'll want to shed layers easily, the soft-shell I have works pretty well but it can wet through if it begins snowing heavily.

Speleothing posted:

FWIW, I use a Theta AR as my ski jacket (backcountry touring) and as a wet-weather hiking jacket. And for going to the office in the rain. I got it over the beta because it's longer (which helps make up for not having a powder skirt) and had a better color in-stock. The new Gore Pro is pretty nice stuff, so an AR piece wouldn't be wrong if you're okay with the weight.

Though, I'm thinking about also getting an Alpha LT as a packable carry-along for days that should be dry.

That pack is nice, but it's part of the military line, so it may not actually be available through your friend's deal.

One last thing: Arc'teryx has a page on their site that explains the naming scheme. So that and the 'line' there in will give you a little better off an idea of what the jackets are intended for.

Can anyone tell me why there's a $150 price difference between the Beta LT & the Beta LT Hybrid? Is it purely the Goretex Pro fabric? I would think the pit zips would actually make the Hybrid more expensive.

My friend is military, green beret, so I think that's the only reason he gets a decent deal. It's pretty difficult tracking down someone with a dead bird pro-deal.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Gore Pro is a much higher quality fabric and membrane than the regular or the paclite.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone tell me why there's a $150 price difference between the Beta LT & the Beta LT Hybrid? Is it purely the Goretex Pro fabric? I would think the pit zips would actually make the Hybrid more expensive.
Probably the membrane yeah. The face fabric is ripstop on the hybrid too.

Speleothing posted:

Gore Pro is a much higher quality fabric and membrane than the regular or the paclite.
The membrane has nothing to do with the face fabric.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 2, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Speleothing posted:

hmmmm, then why don't they make a version of the Beta LT w/ pit zips? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Probably the membrane yeah. The face fabric is ripstop on the hybrid too.

The membrane has nothing to do with the face fabric.

Gore specifies certain minimum qualities of face fabric that can be paired with its membranes.

The equivalent jackets with pit zips would be the Beta AR or the Alpha LT, which do cost more. I would just stick with the Hybrid or the LT and not worry about it to much.