Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I wonder how long it's going to stay open - I'd love to sign up for this so I'm doing more than just Zerys/CC but I am on vacation at the moment, so my computer access is somewhat limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Speaking of Writer's Domain, how tough is their grammar test? I just put a writing sample through, but I'm worried that my grammar knowledge is going to be just rusty enough to screw me (or just not be the style that they want).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Speaking of Writer's Domain, how tough is their grammar test? I just put a writing sample through, but I'm worried that my grammar knowledge is going to be just rusty enough to screw me (or just not be the style that they want).

It wasn't very hard. You have 15 minutes. Just quickly do all the ones you're sure of and search Google for the answers on the remainder. I got a 97% and you need an 85% to pass.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The grammar test is multiple choice questions. I'd recommend a refresher on "it's" and there/their/they're if you're not familiar and you should be fine with everything else.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Has anyone else in DT not been getting much work this past week? I finally got some, but it's like 30 minutes of footage for the whole weekend.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

Has anyone else in DT not been getting much work this past week? I finally got some, but it's like 30 minutes of footage for the whole weekend.

For the start of the week, yeah. Today I've got 48 minutes I want done and then however much of tomorrow's 69 minutes (One big file) or Monday's 75 minutes (A shitload of little files) I can finish. Probably the little ones.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

I heard it was nothing but huge files this week, so if you were asking for 30 minutes at a time, I don't think they had anything to give (which happened to me). And then the weekend work was the kind of stuff that really drags down your earnings per hour. Super format heavy work that weighed in at 15 solid pages from a 25 minute file, followed by Q/A double full verbatim. It's just one of those things when last week I made about 64 bucks for an 18 page 85 minute monster, and then I only get ~$17 for 15 pages of super fast dialogue filled with one word answers requiring a time stamp.

I did complete everything about 30-40% faster than normal with Dragon though. That thing is definitely pulling some weight.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Well they loaded me up. I did two hours today plus I have another hour due Monday.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Look on the bright side, decent money. Two hours of footage has got to be close to $100, maybe more depending on the rate.

E: A new day. I got to transcribe a man skinning a bear. It's a more... involved process than you'd imagine. I got to hear a grown man snap a dead bear's forearm bones in half because he couldn't cut the joint out.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 22, 2014

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Well that sounds better than the usual reality TV.

It has been a good week at DT. I've done two rush jobs plus the usual stuff and I'm looking at a $350+ invoice.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I did one rush and would have done a second but it would have either been too much time too fast, or require me to know how to do something I don't know how to do yet.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Asking for my fiance - what are some writing sites that are open the UK residents, besides Zerys? A lot of these sites, if they aren't US-only, are closed to UK applicants for whatever reason. (For example: Writer's Domain.)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Got in on WD.

First article was a failure. I understand they use canned responses, but it feels like I'm talking to a robot with no understanding of the industry the keyword related to—especially after asking for clarification from support.

(yes I spent hours reading their forums and blogs before attempting an article.)

But, once the work on Zerys dies down, I'll try again.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I got through the Textbroker application process fairly painlessly and now I'm petrified that I'm going to gently caress up my initial 4 star rating with my 5 probationary articles. I accepted an order where the keywords were "ridge capping brisbane", did some research on ridge caps, and quickly realized I have no clue how to connect the final step of shingling a roof to the city of Brisbane using any connecting words. I had to release the article and am back to staring at the list more hesitant than ever. :negative:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

FadedReality posted:

I got through the Textbroker application process fairly painlessly and now I'm petrified that I'm going to gently caress up my initial 4 star rating with my 5 probationary articles. I accepted an order where the keywords were "ridge capping brisbane", did some research on ridge caps, and quickly realized I have no clue how to connect the final step of shingling a roof to the city of Brisbane using any connecting words. I had to release the article and am back to staring at the list more hesitant than ever. :negative:

If the client has a hard keyword requirement and uses the automatic keyword check, you would actually need to use the exact phrase regardless of whether it makes sense. The editors know this; you wouldn't be marked down for it.

Aside from that, just slam it in there. "If you need a roofing service that offers top-quality installation, shingle work, and ridge capping in Brisbane, contact Harry Ballbag Negligent Roof rear end in a top hat Services today!"

As far as your rating goes, it is a waiting game. I've written 40 articles since I started last month. About 7 of them have actually been reviewed, and that's only because one of my direct order clients contacted TB and asked them to expedite the review process so that they could continue to send me direct orders. It's entirely possible that the other articles will eventually be rated and I'll go down to 3 stars. If this happens I'm probably boned, since a 4-star rating is necessary for the managed team I write for. After having access to a pool pf $12 articles, it would be really hard to go back to generating the same amount of content for half the pay.

titties fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 26, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
There's nothing finer than getting assigned to a show you enjoy working with and seeing the interviewees getting better at hitting their lines with each episode you work on.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I have a funny dragon error to report:
"We are going to be together forever," turns into "we are going to beef together forever."

Dutch ovens are love, brothers and sisters.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Dragon consistently insists that any time I say "he" I mean "she".

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How do y'all handle tax stuff?

I started to do some side writing/programming work on oDesk apart from my day job, and I noticed I have to give tax information in order to get paid. I started searching around and went down a horrible rabbithole of llc vs sole proprietorship etc.

Basically I'm probably going to be making small amounts of money freelancing, but I miiight end up doing it full-time down the line if it works out. Is it worth the effort to start an llc? What are the pros/cons?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Shima Honnou posted:

Dragon consistently insists that any time I say "he" I mean "she".

Have you used the vocabulary editor to retrain both words and run Audio -> Launch Accuracy Tuning?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Internet Friend posted:

Have you used the vocabulary editor to retrain both words and run Audio -> Launch Accuracy Tuning?

Not yet since I don't know how to actually do that stuff. Lately I've been getting files with speakers that I'd rather do by hand because of their accent or word choices anyway.

Careful Drums posted:

How do y'all handle tax stuff?

I started to do some side writing/programming work on oDesk apart from my day job, and I noticed I have to give tax information in order to get paid. I started searching around and went down a horrible rabbithole of llc vs sole proprietorship etc.

Basically I'm probably going to be making small amounts of money freelancing, but I miiight end up doing it full-time down the line if it works out. Is it worth the effort to start an llc? What are the pros/cons?

At present, self-employment pay is my sole source of income, so I need to learn how to do the taxes as well. All I've been able to find is that they're apparently quarterly, but I never got an answer when I asked and the internet didn't really reveal anything. I just assume someone will send me something in the mail eventually telling me it's time. I've been setting aside just over 22% of every check (Along with $300 to make sure that my shiny new savings account that I'm keeping my tax money in doesn't get drawn for maintenance ever), since I don't know if I only have to pay the federal government or if state/city are going to get in on it as well at some point.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 27, 2014

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

At present, self-employment pay is my sole source of income, so I need to learn how to do the taxes as well. All I've been able to find is that they're apparently quarterly, but I never got an answer when I asked and the internet didn't really reveal anything. I just assume someone will send me something in the mail eventually telling me it's time. I've been setting aside just over 22% of every check (Along with $300 to make sure that my shiny new savings account that I'm keeping my tax money in doesn't get drawn for maintenance ever), since I don't know if I only have to pay the federal government or if state/city are going to get in on it as well at some point.

The IRS has more info than you could ever want on self-employment taxes, including info on quarterly payments:

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Self-Employed-Individuals-Tax-Center

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Shima Honnou posted:

Not yet since I don't know how to actually do that stuff. Lately I've been getting files with speakers that I'd rather do by hand because of their accent or word choices anyway.

Vocabulary -> Open Vocabulary Editor..., type in the problem word, press Train and follow the prompts. This should have an immediate effect on accuracy.

Audio -> Launch Accuracy Tuning takes whatever data it's collecting from the corrections you make and does... something that takes a long time and improves its recognition. This should happen by default every Monday at 2 AM but you can do it manually if you're making lots of corrections.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Internet Friend posted:

Vocabulary -> Open Vocabulary Editor..., type in the problem word, press Train and follow the prompts. This should have an immediate effect on accuracy.

Audio -> Launch Accuracy Tuning takes whatever data it's collecting from the corrections you make and does... something that takes a long time and improves its recognition. This should happen by default every Monday at 2 AM but you can do it manually if you're making lots of corrections.

Alright, good to know. I'll give it a go next time I've got a file that I'm willing to voice.

AuntBuck posted:

The IRS has more info than you could ever want on self-employment taxes, including info on quarterly payments:

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Self-Employed-Individuals-Tax-Center

If I'm reading this crap right, I do Form 1040 and 1040 Schedule SE on Tax Day and that should be that? (For Federal, at least)

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

If I'm reading this crap right, I do Form 1040 and 1040 Schedule SE on Tax Day and that should be that? (For Federal, at least)

As far as paperwork, yes. If you're going to owe over a certain amount of taxes come April (I think it's $1,000 but don't quote me) then you need to make the quarterly tax payments or you will end up owing a small fine, so just be aware of that. The IRS is not going to tell you what to do or send any notices until after you file taxes. If you owe money and don't pay it they will of course be in touch.

Taxes are just one of those things where everybody's situation is different and I don't think anybody's really comfortable giving advice.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'm lazy and pay once a year. DT sends a 1099 at the end of the year. I'm a poor student so I only had to pay FICA taxes for 2013 because of tax credits and other deductions. I did a 1040 and Sch C at the end of the year. Schedule C is what you fill out for self-employment. The quarterly payments you are talking about are based upon estimates and if you paid too much you'll get a refund or if you paid too little each quarter you'll have to make it up at the end of the year. Anyway if you're actually making decent money file quarterly or you'll get a fine. No idea how much but I don't think it'll break the bank. I'm an accountant in grad school with a few hundred hours of tax work experience.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Based on the past 3 invoices and this week's invoice, in a 4 week period I make enough from DT to owe just around $180 in Federal taxes, so I'll most likely need to have to do the quarterlies if I continue earning at this rate.

EDIT:

Internet Friend posted:

Well, I did this, and it definitely did have an effect on my accuracy. Dragon now refuses to recognize whenever I say "he" or "she" now, either asking me to say it again after a significant (5-10 second) pause, or giving me something like "the" or, bizarrely, "salt" instead of "he". So, is there a way to reset the training for a specific word :v:

EDIT2: And then Dragon stopped working and I had to force close it. Now it's working, at least.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 28, 2014

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

This poo poo is getting dumb.

(oops I cropped too much, the left column is when it was submitted, the right column is when it will auto-approve)

I will likely get 5 stars on all these articles. The client looks at them, then the 2 week timer is reset. As I understand it, they've already paid for the articles, so just approve the drat things.

*Yes I know, work one month out yadayadayada.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm interested in trying the online call center gig, but Liveops isn't currently hiring in my state. Any other reputable outfits to look at? Or, contrariwise, ones to avoid like the plague?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Guess we're entering another slow period week at DT, no assignments given yesterday (Last one due was due yesterday) or today. Hurry up, reality TV, and let me transcribe you for money.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Funny, I've had work coming out the fuckin' rear end for the past two weeks and not enough available minutes on my entire transcription team to cover it all...!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Just need 4 more months of experience and I'll be set to try out for your team!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

That's almost always how it is. One of my clients has work coming out her ears, while another is running along at a pretty standard clip and the third is pretty much dead in the water.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Well, it makes sense for DT, 43 people signed up for yesterday, but yeah, it does get annoying when so many emails are coming out saying sign up for this much work please, we have loads coming in, and then poof! Nothin'.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I actually haven't gotten any "We've got a lot of work, more people sign up for this poo poo!" email in a while. I did get some rush notifications last week and was even able to snag one of those jobs, though.

Still, sucks. Guess the shows are recording this week and we'll have some new footage to work with later on/next week.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Am I to take it by the lack of responses that no one has an answer for:

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm interested in trying the online call center gig, but Liveops isn't currently hiring in my state. Any other reputable outfits to look at? Or, contrariwise, ones to avoid like the plague?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah basically. I haven't heard of any others, but if anyone has one to chime in with, I'm all ears. I have a non-goon friend looking for some too, she's not in a situation where she can afford a background check on a maybe for a job.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Hm, an hour of media where all the questions and any dead air have been removed, resulting in a TC jump every few seconds? Oh, and it pays at the bottom out base rate? Yeah, please reassign that poo poo, please.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
DT folks, fair warning, I asked Sally how the weekend is looking, and she's saying "so far, pretty light." accept your assignments accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The whole week at DT's been pretty light.