Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

OssiansFolly posted:

VVVVV That link has the 5 PW, but everything promo-wise is showing Garruk...has there been any confirmation or anything that he WILL be a PW in M15?

probably not but if he is i am hoping for a colorless or green black version.
Or maybe Jace isn't showing up, but that's wishful thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Rosewater confirmed on his blog that M15 has six planeswalkers and that Garruk is in the set.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

OssiansFolly posted:

Okay, so I happened to come across an Eternal Bargain deck and a Mind Seize deck at Target yesterday. The top of the deck cartons had a small cut from the vendor opening the box with a knife (it got me 20% off). Do you think this will impact the value of this if I decide to hold onto it sealed? If so I am going to open it and strip it down for sale.

I would imagine it would hurt the value in that anyone who's going to be looking for a sealed one years from now is probably going to be a collector looking for a high quality one to keep sealed. It'll probably still increase in value a few years from now but you'll run into buyers who have a wealth of options when they decide they're going to drop double or triple MSRP for it since lots of other players/finance types already had the idea to sit on a ton of sealed product with the anticipation that they'll be worth something later. You'll probably have an easier time moving the 3-4 singles per deck that are worth anything. That's not to say that now is the best time to strip them down and sell them, the prices on the chase singles will probably start to creep up again once WotC stops shipping new decks to stores.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
M15 is looking pretty powerful from the spoilers so far. Really digging everything, including the story/flavor.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Gyshall posted:

M15 is looking pretty powerful from the spoilers so far. Really digging everything, including the story/flavor.

Agreed. I like that there are a few cards that hint at some twistier strategies that might become viable, I'm quite bored with decks I can write a computer program to play in Standard right now.

The new wording on Convoke is weird to me, though. I just noticed it last night. I don't think the old wording was bad, but I do think saying "your creatures can help cast this spell" sounds really odd.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm hoping something in M15 makes Firemane Avenger playable before rotation. That card is rad and I'm so sad I never found a good deck for it. Maybe with the Convoke / tokens thing in M15 some Battalion creatures will get a last hurrah.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

neetengie posted:

I love how most of the people in my LGS don't like how Standard looks so far, some might take a break if NotMongolia is a bad block. I actually might play some Standard on MODO if NotMongolia looks good.

Theros kind of blew as a block so I don't really blame them.

M15 looks so much better so far.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

OssiansFolly posted:

I don't know...I am looking at these cards and thinking I may play MORE Standard. I had my fun with Murdergoats, but a lot of the upcoming M15 is making me want to play Standard for once.

VVVVV That link has the 5 PW, but everything promo-wise is showing Garruk...has there been any confirmation or anything that he WILL be a PW in M15?

The arcana post showing off Vess specifically states Garruk is a card in the set.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

neetengie posted:

probably not but if he is i am hoping for a colorless or green black version.
Or maybe Jace isn't showing up, but that's wishful thinking

Well if I recall it was someone here that linked about WotC stating Garruk was going back to his GB roots since it is actually how he is supposed to be. One can only hope Jace doesn't show up!

BXCX posted:

I would imagine it would hurt the value in that anyone who's going to be looking for a sealed one years from now is probably going to be a collector looking for a high quality one to keep sealed. It'll probably still increase in value a few years from now but you'll run into buyers who have a wealth of options when they decide they're going to drop double or triple MSRP for it since lots of other players/finance types already had the idea to sit on a ton of sealed product with the anticipation that they'll be worth something later. You'll probably have an easier time moving the 3-4 singles per deck that are worth anything. That's not to say that now is the best time to strip them down and sell them, the prices on the chase singles will probably start to creep up again once WotC stops shipping new decks to stores.

Hmm I wonder if I could take this back in to Target and ask for a replacement...I got a kid to go into the back vendor area before and find me one in the past, so maybe I can do a trade and pay the difference for the damaged product.

Angry Grimace posted:

The arcana post showing off Vess specifically states Garruk is a card in the set.

Okay I must have missed that. I've been looking and haven't seen anything solid, but seeing a GB Garruk would be nice this go 'round.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What does everyone mean when they say Garruk's GB roots? I thought he started out as Green, got corrupted by Lilliana, and then was reprinted again in M14 as a green walker when he should have been GB the whole time? Is that correct?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wish we'd just gotten a Primal Hunter reprint, that card was fun has hell and would be crazy good in green devotion.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gyshall posted:

What does everyone mean when they say Garruk's GB roots? I thought he started out as Green, got corrupted by Lilliana, and then was reprinted again in M14 as a green walker when he should have been GB the whole time? Is that correct?

They mean that it made no sense that Caller of Beasts was printed as mono green when he was supposed to be under a black mana curse.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

OssiansFolly posted:

Hmm I wonder if I could take this back in to Target and ask for a replacement...I got a kid to go into the back vendor area before and find me one in the past, so maybe I can do a trade and pay the difference for the damaged product.

If the employees are willing to do this, they have extras of Mind Seize/Eternal Bargain left, and you're committed to sealed product as an investment piece that's a possibility. Keep in mind that the Commander 2013 decks were printed way more than the original Commander decks and that the mtgfinance boom has gained a lot of steam in the time between then and now, so there's a lot more people willing to sit on product. Looking at eBay completed sales there's fair number of the original Commander decks that get sold as sealed when they're still wrapped in cellophane but out of the box, but they are at a lower price point. I'd personally rather have the decks I paid $24 each for and break them apart for singles down the road over sitting on a pile of sealed precons, but if you don't mind having the money tied up for 3+ years the NM sealed product is going to be less of a hassle to sell when the time comes.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

They mean that it made no sense that Caller of Beasts was printed as mono green when he was supposed to be under a black mana curse.

I don't think M10-M13 were particularly in continuity, as compared to M14.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Hmm, what if Garruk loses his spark as a result of the Veil? It would leave room for Karn and we wouldn't double up on colored Planeswalkers.

Edit - that would make a lot of sense if they decide to sync up each Planeswalker with an associated plane. Jace/Ravnica, Chandra/Shandalar, Ajani/Theros, Nissa/Zendikar, Lilianna/Innistrad all seem to fit.

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 26, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I hope the red Legendary is Squee :allears: EDIT: I've long since taken apart MURDERGOATS but it would be a great replacement for Molten Birth, if necessary. I also wonder how Convoke will affect the deck.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

BXCX posted:

If the employees are willing to do this, they have extras of Mind Seize/Eternal Bargain left, and you're committed to sealed product as an investment piece that's a possibility. Keep in mind that the Commander 2013 decks were printed way more than the original Commander decks and that the mtgfinance boom has gained a lot of steam in the time between then and now, so there's a lot more people willing to sit on product. Looking at eBay completed sales there's fair number of the original Commander decks that get sold as sealed when they're still wrapped in cellophane but out of the box, but they are at a lower price point. I'd personally rather have the decks I paid $24 each for and break them apart for singles down the road over sitting on a pile of sealed precons, but if you don't mind having the money tied up for 3+ years the NM sealed product is going to be less of a hassle to sell when the time comes.

Ok thanks for the advice. I will likely do this.

Gyshall posted:

Basically what was already said...he SHOULD be GB since he is a Green Walker but tainted by Liliana with Black. So he SHOULD be GB and I think WotC came out and said they want to return to that.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Eddie Whitson posted:

I don't think M10-M13 were particularly in continuity, as compared to M14.

I think that it just dawned on them that continuity is a thing. They realized planeswalkers are characters with identities and stories, and you can't just make swamp lovin Liliana and Good Bad Good Garruk with no reason. I think going forward Planeswalkers are going to follow events more closely, and their abilities will be defined by their character better, not just their color.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Preeminent Captain is in M15. Soldier Tribal anyone? Lavinia and Palisade Giant seem like fun targets.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Samael posted:

Preeminent Captain is in M15. Soldier Tribal anyone? Lavinia and Palisade Giant seem like fun targets.

Between Preeminent Captain and whelming wave, I think WOTC needs to fire whoever names these cards.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Entropic posted:

So how did they ever get a Hornet Queen reprint past Maro?
What does MaRo have against Hornet Queen? And what would it matter if he does? He's not the grand poobah at Wizards, I don't think.

Gyshall posted:

He very technically was GB as Garruk Relentless/Veil-Cursed. Then he got better for a second due to the Cursemute on Innistrad, but it didn't stick. Now he's gone full black.

He's also been partially spoiled and I don't know why nobody has posted this yet.

Found here

Wait, rereading the article makes it sound like this is some kind of bogus bullshit "You play as a Garruk" style game. False alarm.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Veyrall posted:

What does MaRo have against Hornet Queen? And what would it matter if he does? He's not the grand poobah at Wizards, I don't think.
He very technically was GB as Garruk Relentless/Veil-Cursed. Then he got better for a second due to the Cursemute on Innistrad, but it didn't stick. Now he's gone full black.

He's also been partially spoiled and I don't know why nobody has posted this yet.

Found here

Wait, rereading the article makes it sound like this is some kind of bogus bullshit "You play as a Garruk" style game. False alarm.

Twenty loyalty didn't clue you in?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Veyrall posted:

It flies. Green's not supposed to get flying creatures and he's the the guardian of the color pie.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

What a Judas posted:

Twenty loyalty didn't clue you in?
Nope.

I assumed it was just due to some really absurd mana cost (which I would have noticed the lack of if I'd looked at the card harder). Honestly, I just assumed it was bad and stopped reading.

Entropic posted:

It flies. Green's not supposed to get flying creatures and he's the the guardian of the color pie.
Ahh. I guess I kinda understand that, but it seems really pedantic.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Veyrall posted:

As head designer, Maro is basically the keeper of the color pie. He doesn't work on the core sets because his time is already taken up elsewhere. Color pie breaks happen in the core set more often than expert expansions for this reason.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Maybe he just really hates hornets? Hornet Sting earned his ire as well.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The color pie is dumb.
A green creature having flying isn't the end of magic, :spergin:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Entropic posted:

What about Birds of Paradise?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gyshall posted:

Never heard of it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gyshall posted:

:can:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Gyshall posted:

If it were designed nowadays it wouldn't fly and would either tap for G only or else untap a basic land.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Insects are usually green (most insects) or black (insects associated with poison or decomposition), right? (Or occasionally red for things like fire ants.) Which color are non-poisonous flying insects meant to be without upsetting the almighty color pie?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gyshall posted:

Terrible colour pie violation, green shouldn't be able to take extra turns.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Veyrall posted:

If it were designed nowadays it wouldn't fly and would either tap for G only or else untap a basic land.

So a bird is just a shittier Llanowar or Arbor Elf in This Brave New World.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gyshall posted:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The more I see the card frame redesign, the less I like it. The black border used to be a neutral element, now it's part of the design. I think it imparts a slightly too modern character in the cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Terrible colour pie violation, green shouldn't be able to take extra turns.

Oh yeah?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Insects are usually green (most insects) or black (insects associated with poison or decomposition), right? (Or occasionally red for things like fire ants.) Which color are non-poisonous flying insects meant to be without upsetting the almighty color pie?

In what sense are deathtouching hornets not poisonous?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

LordSaturn posted:

In what sense are deathtouching hornets not poisonous?

While the hornets poison is incredibly deadly it's actually unable to pierce the skin of any supertype Creatures and as such violates the color pie :eng101:

• Locked thread