Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

theadder posted:

They changed the NDA:

Further, Apple agrees that You will not be bound by the foregoing confidentiality terms with regard to technical information about pre-release Apple Software and services disclosed by Apple at WWDC (Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference), except that You may not post screen shots, write public reviews or redistribute any pre-release Apple Software or services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Arrowsmith posted:

If it hasn't been asked already, is it against NDA to say if TRIM Enabler still works?

It does with a little bit of configuration.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Who the gently caress cares about NDAs I mean seriously.

Anyway good news about the TRIM and other kexts, I hope that makes it into the final release.
I doubt my RAID card manufacturer will release a signed driver.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Edit: never mind

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 16, 2014

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
And 10.10 Developer Preview 2 is out.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

A question for those running the 10.10 beta.

If you redirect your system audio via AirPlay, there's a 2 second delay. This causes problems with video. iTunes and QuickTime compensate for it by delaying the video 2 seconds as well. However, if you're trying to stream Netflix or Hulu, you're out of luck.

Now with the new Safari with Yosemite, they are claiming you can watch Netflix (and presumably Hulu) without a plugin. If you stream Netflix via Safari without Silverlight, and redirect the system audio via AirPlay, does Safari compensate for the 2 second delay?

I know Rogue Amoeba makes an app to deal with this, but I'm hoping lack of plugins fixes this.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
My friend was just showing me something in google street view and I noticed how drat smooth street view was behaving.... Then I noticed he was using Firefox. So I fired up chrome and safari too, and street view was smooth as butter in chrome also, while being its usual lovely, stuttery self in safari. I tested this with both Mavericks and Yosemite.

Anyone else notice this? The difference is huge.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 18, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Do you have WebGL enabled? Have to go into Safari preferences and enable the Develop menu on the Advanced tab, then toggle Enable WebGL in the Develop menu.

It's probably about time they enabled it by default, isn't it?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

carry on then posted:

Do you have WebGL enabled? Have to go into Safari preferences and enable the Develop menu on the Advanced tab, then toggle Enable WebGL in the Develop menu.

Well gently caress. That's my something for today.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

carry on then posted:

It will be in Yosemite (and/or next Safari).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

carry on then posted:

WebGL is the kind of thing which is easy to implement in a naive way, but very hard to implement without exposing giant security holes. I don't begrudge them the long gestation time at all.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
I'm having this odd intermittent issue with my macbook pro (late-2012 retina, 10.9.3). It has only happened a few times since I got it a month or so ago. Before it has only been small areas, or certain elements like the title bar in chrome, and moving whatever window it was happening to would usually resolve it. This time it was a bit worse, and I couldn't get any of it to go away without a reboot. Googling for similar issues seems a bit difficult, just getting results for yellow tinted displays or a yellow flash on boot or similar. New to the mac world and my mac friends haven't seen anything like it before. Any ideas?

This one just happened as I unlocked it. I had fusion, chrome, evernote, and adium running (plus a couple term sessions).

excuse the lovely pic, camera on my iphone blows for whatever reason.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is there a way to disable tooltips in Excel:Mac?

I need to record a screencast of an excel app with a lot of links/buttons and the tooltips popping up left and right are interfering.

Apparently there is an option for disabling tooltips in Excel for Windows, but I can't find the corresponding switch on a Mac.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I upgraded my mother's iMac to 10.9 this morning, but I'm not getting the option in the app store to download the iMovie update for free. Is this something I'll have to contact apple support for?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I upgraded my mother's iMac to 10.9 this morning, but I'm not getting the option in the app store to download the iMovie update for free. Is this something I'll have to contact apple support for?

Was it ever attached to her Apple ID?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Her apple ID was definitely attached to her account in 10.8, not sure if earlier.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Her apple ID was definitely attached to her account in 10.8, not sure if earlier.

No I mean iMovie.

I think for a time when the App Store launched, Apple let you update even pirated versions of iMovie and then would attach them to your account, but I don't think they do that anymore. I know my friend had a really old version of iMovie and recently wanted to update it and the App Store just wanted her to buy it again.

You'll have to call Apple I think...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

carry on then posted:

japtor posted:

It will be in Yosemite (and/or next Safari).

I just tried it with WebGL enabled and it made no difference; still stuttery. And as I mentioned, I tried it in Yosemite already (I just double-checked and there's no WebGL option in the develop menu so I'm assuming japtor is right). Strange that there's such a huge performance disparity.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

It looks like the yellow is in areas where there's some non-opaque compositing going on - window shadows and the menu bar (I bet if you turn off menu bar translucency that portion works correctly). I've never seen it before though. Possibly something hosed up with your graphics card or maybe the driver. Open Spotlight, type "console" and open the Console app next time this happens; it's possible you'll see a shitload of errors being spewed to it.

Without more info, the first thing I'd do is reinstall the 10.9.3 combo update and see if that fixes it (assuming you're running Mavericks).

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

It looks like the yellow is in areas where there's some non-opaque compositing going on - window shadows and the menu bar (I bet if you turn off menu bar translucency that portion works correctly). I've never seen it before though. Possibly something hosed up with your graphics card or maybe the driver. Open Spotlight, type "console" and open the Console app next time this happens; it's possible you'll see a shitload of errors being spewed to it.

Without more info, the first thing I'd do is reinstall the 10.9.3 combo update and see if that fixes it (assuming you're running Mavericks).

Thanks, I'll remember that next time it happens. I am running mavericks, but I think I'm going to do a fresh install anyways. Been meaning to since I got it (company laptop), just haven't had the time.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

It depends on how old the iMac is. If it's new enough where iMovie came from the app store for free, then you get '13 for free. If it came on disk, then you do not get '13 for free.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Choadmaster posted:

I just tried it with WebGL enabled and it made no difference; still stuttery. And as I mentioned, I tried it in Yosemite already (I just double-checked and there's no WebGL option in the develop menu so I'm assuming japtor is right). Strange that there's such a huge performance disparity.

Odd, I'm not seeing the disparity (I had WebGL enabled in Safari for that video.) They're all a little stuttery, and Safari may be a little worse than others, but not massively different. Are you sure Lite mode isn't still on? There should be some text to that effect in the lower right of Google maps.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Hey, you're right. Never heard of this lite mode, but it looks like Google maps just defaults to it in Safari whether or not WebGL is enabled. If I force 3D mode it works as well as the other two browsers.

Mystery solved, thanks!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Finally got a magic mouse but have a slight annoyance, hopefully someone can offer advice!

I'm using chrome, and when using one finger scroll left or right to go back/forwards page I get a nice animation to show I'm about to make the page change.

But I'd like it to use two fingers, and the problem is when you do this in chrome it just flings you back/forwards a page with no visual feedback.

Is there a way to get the animation using two fingers?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
(Now in the right thread.)
So I noticed VMWare Fusion 6 upgrades are on sale. Is the performance boost over 5 worth $35 if I wanted to try to play games with it?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Experto Crede posted:

Finally got a magic mouse but have a slight annoyance, hopefully someone can offer advice!

I'm using chrome, and when using one finger scroll left or right to go back/forwards page I get a nice animation to show I'm about to make the page change.

But I'd like it to use two fingers, and the problem is when you do this in chrome it just flings you back/forwards a page with no visual feedback.

Is there a way to get the animation using two fingers?

It sounds like Chrome does forward and back of you try to scroll left or right as a touch gesture. With two fingers, it gets sent the back event, I believe, and really can't see it coming before it happens.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just migrating from a Thinkpad to an Air, networking is fruity. This isn't Linux so I'm trying to avoid all the command line hassle and managed to do so on Windows:

1) OpenVPN connectivity: OpenVPN themselves have a reasonable UI on Windows now, nothing for OSX though. I worked through TunnelBlick and managed to achieve success. Pretty ugly utility and confusing settings, the openvpn configuration file is easier.

2) PPPD for the Queen of insecurity. Every platform and their dog has this built in, OSX connects and works well as the next. Custom routing is ugly. I have a file /etc/ppp/peers/MyConnection that turns off default routing and provides a name that is fed into /etc/ppp/ip-up which can be used to plumb the necessary custom routes.

/etc/ppp/peers/Atlanta posted:

nodefaultroute
ipparam atlanta

/etc/ppp/ip-up posted:

#!/bin/sh
# When the ppp link comes up, this script is called with the following
# parameters
# $1 the interface name used by pppd (e.g. ppp3)
# $2 the tty device name
# $3 the tty device speed
# $4 the local IP address for the interface
# $5 the remote IP address
# $6 the parameter specified by the 'ipparam' option to pppd
#
case "$6" in
atlanta)
/sbin/route add -net 10.35.8 -interface $1
/sbin/route add -net 10.208 -interface $1
/sbin/route add -net 10.0 -interface $1
/sbin/route add -net 10.6 -interface $1
;;
*)
esac
exit 0

3) Cisco SSL VPN aka AnyConnect is a complete square banana. Cisco appeared to have admitted defeat with OSX 10.9 and given up. Initiation of the VPN the first time is frequently through a web interface and Apple makes this amazingly inconvenient by refusing to popup a certificate selection box.

Installing Parallels can bring up Ubuntu and achieve similar stellar delights. Google takes the lead with no support for NP plugins so Java plugins don't work in almost any shape or form. Getting Java to work in Firefox is a bit odd and in the end doesn't yield the Cisco applet doing anything constructive.

Saviour at hand, apparently there is a tool OpenConnect which is a open source super star for getting Cisco SSL VPN working. Similar amazing delectation with Shrewsoft's Cisco IPSEC client. There is a Gnome plugin for NetworkManager but the options are all a bit low level and unhelpful for the novice user. On the command though the command "openconnect" works a treat and connects through wonderfully. Run with sufficient rights and you will get routing and presumably DNS.

So back to OSX to find if some helpful sole has wrapped OpenConnect in a utility. Behold ChungwaSoft Shimo self titled "Elegant Software" with yet again one of the most non-elegant pieces of software on the planet with a unusual developer who just points at Apple Script to the answer for everything. If I don't want to use OpenConnect on the command line why would I want to write custom Apple Script to automate network routing in this software?

It works but 30 euros warrants some elegance for a dumb wrapper. Are there better options available?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you sure you're running the latest AnyConnect client?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I don't know what most of that jibber jabber was about but for #1 Viscosity is a $9 OpenVPN app with a decent UI.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Caged posted:

Are you sure you're running the latest AnyConnect client?

Mmm, the 5160 release supposedly removes all the instability problems. Doesn't fix the inability to auto load the client through a web page. Thanks.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Lawen posted:

I don't know what most of that jibber jabber was about but for #1 Viscosity is a $9 OpenVPN app with a decent UI.

Thanks, yes my post looks like a blog entry :doh: I'll try Viscosity now that I have the AnyConnect working. It is convenient that Shimo has all VPNs under one interface, just wish it would have been the native OSX VPN interface.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

bimmian posted:

I'm having this odd intermittent issue with my macbook pro (late-2012 retina, 10.9.3). It has only happened a few times since I got it a month or so ago. Before it has only been small areas, or certain elements like the title bar in chrome, and moving whatever window it was happening to would usually resolve it. This time it was a bit worse, and I couldn't get any of it to go away without a reboot. Googling for similar issues seems a bit difficult, just getting results for yellow tinted displays or a yellow flash on boot or similar. New to the mac world and my mac friends haven't seen anything like it before. Any ideas?

This one just happened as I unlocked it. I had fusion, chrome, evernote, and adium running (plus a couple term sessions).

excuse the lovely pic, camera on my iphone blows for whatever reason.

Switch to greenPOS.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know of a tool that can take retina screenshots on a non-retina Mac?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I would like to take retina resolution screenshots of web sites for a portfolio, but I don't currently own a retina Mac.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I believe you can enable HiDPI mode through some hacks even if you don't have a Retina display. I'm on my phone or I'd be more helpful.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I believe you can enable HiDPI mode through some hacks even if you don't have a Retina display. I'm on my phone or I'd be more helpful.

Yeah, I was hoping for an app that would just do that without me having to mess with all that. Plus I figure pixel-doubling my 1920x1200 screen would not leave much usable space for screenshots?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Take a trip to the Apple store and discreetly do it on a demo machine? :v:

I don't know of anything else you can do besides enable HiDPI and take the cramped pictures, I think.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

carry on then posted:

Take a trip to the Apple store and discreetly do it on a demo machine? :v:

I don't know of anything else you can do besides enable HiDPI and take the cramped pictures, I think.

I suspect any app that's going to adjust the resolution or enable HiDPI is going to need the admin password, something I suspect he won't have for the apple store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Kingnothing posted:

I suspect any app that's going to adjust the resolution or enable HiDPI is going to need the admin password, something I suspect he won't have for the apple store.

I think he meant take the screenshot on an actual rMBP.