Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Spiderdrake posted:

Outside of the paint he looks kinda cool, engineering wise, for doing shellforming in a different way. How is he from that perspective?

He's under my desk, receipt on top of the unopened box. Same with Hound. The AOE figures have been extremely hit-and-miss for me. I used to be able to read TFW2005 reviews, then read this thread, and rarely buy a TF I dislike. But either I'm getting pickier or everyone else is getting less picky, because well-reviewed guys like Crosshairs and Evasion Prime have really not tickled me. So I'm hesitant to open any more voyagers, but I also have a hard time passing them up. So I dunno, 50/50 chance they'll get returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Why cookie Rocket posted:

He's under my desk, receipt on top of the unopened box. Same with Hound. The AOE figures have been extremely hit-and-miss for me. I used to be able to read TFW2005 reviews, then read this thread, and rarely buy a TF I dislike. But either I'm getting pickier or everyone else is getting less picky, because well-reviewed guys like Crosshairs and Evasion Prime have really not tickled me. So I'm hesitant to open any more voyagers, but I also have a hard time passing them up. So I dunno, 50/50 chance they'll get returned.

I liked Hound enough, but didn't get Galvatron due to what I call unpainted greyish plastic syndrome. There are so few Voyagers I usually collect them all regardless, I'll see him in a store and decide.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So I dunno, 50/50 chance they'll get returned.
Take one for team cares-about-engineering and crack it open! Or don't, since that is wasteful.

One thing I'm disappointed with vis-a-vis this botcon which does relate is I was hoping to get a clearer picture of what they're going to repaint in this line. That Galvatron could make a pretty cool looking retool of several characters. I don't mind if they go a little silly, it is time to quarterback up ol' Huffer!

This interview is really good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0uG8JszvCs

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I saw the movie and I think Bay is a genius auteur.

Did you mean genius autist? I think you meant autist.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

AoE Galvatron is a rather cool figure. The engineering is interesting on how he's a shellformer, but he folds up pretty nice and his shell collapses entirely into the backpack. It's actually pretty fun and kinda simple, given how it's mostly just unfolding/folding the backpack and folding/unfolding the arms and legs for the most part. Weapon isn't a bad deal, although it'd be nice if he had somewhere that wasn't completely stupid looking to store it in truck mode (ie on top of the cab). The truck mode looks nice, and the actual robot mode sculpt is rather nice.

But he's just screaming for more paint apps. The ones he does have look nice, but he really needs something to set off the rest of the nice sculpted detail from the dull grey unpainted plastic.

I really like this guy, but Hound is the better of the two. If the paint apps(or lackthereof) aren't much of an issue, then he's worth checking out, I'd say.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The thing that really bothers me about Galvatron, other than the horrifying gray, is how high the knees are (thankfully he has great ankles). Other than that I was honestly surprised at how well they pulled the whole shellforming thing since the backpack is surprisingly small for being like half of the truck.

Ghost Hat
Jun 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I drew Swerve last night. Thought I would share it.

MTMTE was great as always. Windblade I kind of figured Starscream was a red herring, but I'm wondering how they are going to wrap things up with just one more part. Apparently the sales were good enough to warrant another mini-series in 2015 though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Rise of the Dark Spark is a decent expansion/prequel to Fall of Cybertron with okay enough Bayformers story bookends. It plays like Fall, which is great, and you switch characters and factions more than Fall (characters more than factions, for coherent narrative, etc.) so that's also pretty neat.

I'm sad to see PvP go, but it was also a wretched hive of scum and villainy that Half Moon couldn't seem to fix properly, at least on console. Cheaters got MAD when it got harder to cheat in Fall. And also they hate balance. (Which is why Mech Assault 2 flopped, poor baby couldn't just sit in the Ragnarok, so sad. What's teamwork, precious? Can we eat it?)

Escalation is nice. Not really as fun as PvP, but playing with some buddies is always cool.

There's kind of a weird system in place to unlock bots/abilities/weapons in all modes similar to Mass Effect 3 or (so I hear) Battlefield. When you level up or perform specific actions like getting a kill streak multiplier, a bunch of kills with a specific weapon, or a cheevo you get a "gear box" of various metal types. The silver one is better than an iron one, etc. Opening the gear box gives you on average one bot, one weapon, and one ability, as well as a couple consumables. Bots and abilities you already have are converted to consumables, and weapons give you an upgrade to use on an open slot on said weapon.

You have to use whatever you can pick up otherwise, the vendor machines will only give you what you have cards for. There is no money in this game.

In Escalation you can pick your favored bot (you start with Prime and Megatron unlocked) what ability your bot has if you don't like the standard one for that bot (you can make a team where everyone heals or cools down the ability timers for maximum survivability) your regular and heavy weapons (you only start out with the neutron machine gun) what difficulty modifiers you want to use and what TECH consumables you want to bring in. There are three slots for TECH.

I'm having a pretty good time with the game. If any Goons want to play on the XBone that would be neat, just ask.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Anyone having any luck finding Tailgate and Skrapnel? I haven't seen hide nor hair of them especially with the glut of AoE stuff in the mix currently. Also, any word on Windblade/Rattrap?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have an extra tailgate and skrapnel in packages from my bbts order, but I prefer to deal in private messages if someone wants them.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
Caught the movie last night. Ugh.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

strangehamster posted:

I liked Hound enough, but didn't get Galvatron due to what I call unpainted greyish plastic syndrome. There are so few Voyagers I usually collect them all regardless, I'll see him in a store and decide.

I would be certain about keeping Hound if I could figure out a good replacement head and replacement forearms. He'd basically just be a bitchin Generations toy at that point.

Secht posted:

Caught the movie last night. Ugh.

Could we get some spoilertaggeed highlights (lowlights)?

I finally got off my rear end and tried casting for the first time. Not as scary as I thought it'd be, but there's definitely a learning curve I haven't crested yet. My first project was casting Botcon 2006 Cheetor's head for a buddy's G1 Drift custom:

Also I am finally trying the trick where you can restore a G1 figure's colors with a hydrogen peroxide bath. There's a G1 Jaguar chilling in a baking dish of it on my back porch. So far it works pretty well, though it seems to be taking days to really get back to the right color. If anyone has questions on either of these new little projects I am happy to share my very limited experience to date.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Jeremy Jahns review makes it sound basically identical to Dark of the Moon.

Although he seemed absolutely enraged about the dinobots.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, that G1 Drift! I don't recognize what he was originally. If you want to talk about your projects, I wouldn't mind, I don't have any specific questions outside of what that toy was originally.

And yeah, someone needs to spoiler-tag up some movie for those interested.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Also I am finally trying the trick where you can restore a G1 figure's colors with a hydrogen peroxide bath. There's a G1 Jaguar chilling in a baking dish of it on my back porch. So far it works pretty well, though it seems to be taking days to really get back to the right color. If anyone has questions on either of these new little projects I am happy to share my very limited experience to date.

I am interested in how this turns out because my G1 Jetfire is one set of black spots away from cosplaying as Cheetor for the rest of his life.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Wow, that G1 Drift! I don't recognize what he was originally. If you want to talk about your projects, I wouldn't mind, I don't have any specific questions outside of what that toy was originally.

I think he was some kind of late G1 euro-exclusive car. I just cast the head and shipped it, I don't really know much else TBH.

I have way too many projects. Always. After I finish a custom Gangrel (wrestler) figure, I need to get back to my custom Jhiaxus (using the body of Universe Silverbolt), Classics Jaruga (from Classics Hound), and MOTUC Sorceress (from that weird all-white version of her). Oh and finish touching up classics Carnivac, whith I don't think I inflicted on you guys yet:

(All those holes in my coffee table are from pin removal, having a junker coffee table rules.)

Keldroc posted:

I am interested in how this turns out because my G1 Jetfire is one set of black spots away from cosplaying as Cheetor for the rest of his life.

So far it's working like a charm. I am using standard 3% HP from target and it didn't even put a dent in Jaruga's paint apps. I assume you understand it'll ruin stickers, as it's a liquid. :) For some reason you need to store the bathing beauty in direct (as possible) sunlight. I am using a glass baking dish with saran wrap under what passes for directly sunlight in seattle and after 2.5 days it's VERY improved, almost back to the original colors (by comparing to internal components).

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 26, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

I think he was some kind of late G1 euro-exclusive car. I just cast the head and shipped it, I don't really know much else TBH.

I have way too many projects. Always. After I finish a custom Gangrel (wrestler) figure, I need to get back to my custom Jhiaxus (using the body of Universe Silverbolt), Classics Jaruga (from Classics Hound), and MOTUC Sorceress (from that weird all-white version of her). Oh and finish touching up classics Carnivac, whith I don't think I inflicted on you guys yet:

(All those holes in my coffee table are from pin removal, having a junker coffee table rules.)

Your customs look good and you should post them more often. I remember you doing a Longtooth from a Botcon Landshark years and years ago.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Rage posted:

Did you mean genius autist? I think you meant autist.

If Bay is anything, it's not autistic.

But jokes aside, I actually found TF4 to be very watchable if a bit overlong. Characterization was strong for all the humans and the vast majority of the robots (basically all of them except the drones and Dinobots) and the cinematography, while still a bit XTREME!!!, was a lot more considered.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Your customs look good and you should post them more often. I remember you doing a Longtooth from a Botcon Landshark years and years ago.

I will take any excuse to repost that Longtooth, he's the silliest thing.

And here's a few other things I don't loathe:

Mmm-mm, polish that turd.

Can't wait to throw this away if they ever make a good blue deluxe helicopter mold.

I don't know why either.

I really really like G1 Countdown's head.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 26, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Can't wait to throw this away if they ever make a good blue deluxe helicopter mold.

That's the best mold out of the entire Bruticus set and you all know it. Best limb modes (even with the weird hand), decent articulation, good proportions. If his arms were a little better and the copter blades went somewhere it'd be almost perfect.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So were there anymore pictures of Generations Superion put up or is it still just the silhouette? Because he looks bulky and chunky which is not a bad thing because that means combiners may be properly proportioned from here on out.

That and it looks like Silverbolt may actually be a voyager if they're aiming for the same size of Bruticus.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I would be certain about keeping Hound if I could figure out a good replacement head and replacement forearms. He'd basically just be a bitchin Generations toy at that point.

Could we get some spoilertaggeed highlights (lowlights)?

I finally got off my rear end and tried casting for the first time. Not as scary as I thought it'd be, but there's definitely a learning curve I haven't crested yet. My first project was casting Botcon 2006 Cheetor's head for a buddy's G1 Drift custom:

I'm in the middle of doing this with a G1 Snapdragon. I took him to bits and had the yellowed grey parts in the sun in a bowl half full of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide covered with clingfilm for 4 days. Went some of the way, as in made a good difference in the yellowing, but I'm going to do the same again with 9% HP bath, see what more it does, didn't go all the way but that might be my fault in not making it airtight.
For comparison I had the original grey under the stickers I removed (I want to reprolabel him).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Goldskull posted:

I'm in the middle of doing this with a G1 Snapdragon. I took him to bits and had the yellowed grey parts in the sun in a bowl half full of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide covered with clingfilm for 4 days. Went some of the way, as in made a good difference in the yellowing, but I'm going to do the same again with 9% HP bath, see what more it does, didn't go all the way but that might be my fault in not making it airtight.
For comparison I had the original grey under the stickers I removed (I want to reprolabel him).

Please let me how how the higher concerntration solution goes. I wanted to start low (especially with a piece from Victory, good god the prices).

vkeios
May 7, 2007

You guys might want to consider the Retrobright formula, the gel type might be real handy for avoiding painted plastic and stickers. Also in general, for anyone on the fence; hydrogen peroxide in low doses should be pretty safe, people been slapping it on older plastic than transformers for a while.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Please let me how how the higher concerntration solution goes. I wanted to start low (especially with a piece from Victory, good god the prices).

I will do, I'm going to set it going on Saturday morning, and I'll put some photos up on the differences going on as well.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

And yeah, someone needs to spoiler-tag up some movie for those interested.

In case you still want to know, it's G1 Boss.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm just wondering but for the plethora of classics molds being repainted for AOE, is it true that some are packaged with instructions labeled with the generations line?

I'm curious if this is just plain laziness or does this also mean a bunch of stuff is under generations. Because I'm ok with the classics Prime mold in 1984 colors being an official generations release.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm just wondering but for the plethora of classics molds being repainted for AOE, is it true that some are packaged with instructions labeled with the generations line?

I'm curious if this is just plain laziness or does this also mean a bunch of stuff is under generations. Because I'm ok with the classics Prime mold in 1984 colors being an official generations release.

You are literally the only person on Earth who cares about this poo poo.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
This bad motherfucker showed up today

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

This bad motherfucker showed up today

Goddamn that looks amazing

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

The Rage posted:

Goddamn that looks amazing

It does. Aside from a couple tight/scary transformation parts it is fantastic. The back leg transformation is pretty slick.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really want to hear some best/worst tidbits from the new movie, so if you've seen it, go hog wild please. :allears:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Roadbuster and Skybyte are showing up in Asia, it seems. Both look sweet.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Captain Invictus posted:

I really want to hear some best/worst tidbits from the new movie, so if you've seen it, go hog wild please. :allears:

I'm gonna see that movie and be so drat disappointed in an hour!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

BEST:
  • There's a ... I don't want to say perverse because of the irony involved ... level of attention given to NOT framing the camera around tits'n'rear end despite NUMEROUS OPPORTUNITIES. Like, one line of dialogue has Marky Mark bemoaning the shortness of his daughter's jeans (the pockets hang below the cut), and there's a shot of her pants that crops her rear end entirely out of the frame. It's not a bad thing, quite the opposite, but it's constant and really out of character for Bay. Overall, AoE really isn't, like, offensive (except for Drift, maybe, and he's supposed to be a weeaboo.)

• All the characters, human and robot (except for the drones) have actual characterization, motivation, and interactions. Not only that, they aren't horribly grating.

• All the action sequences, despite the very active camera, are comprehensible and the fights are easy to follow. One brief sequence was, like, super-duper Dark Souls.

WORST
  • The Dinobots don't have much screentime and don't have any actual personality, and are never given names (or even called "Dinobots").

• Several plot beats are shamelessly ripped off from The Iron Giant.

• There are more sunsets in this movie than there are named Decepticons.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

strangehamster posted:

Maybe you shouldn't, since you'll have another hour and a half to really regret it!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

[*] All the characters, human and robot (except for the drones) have actual characterization, motivation, and interactions. Not only that, they aren't horribly grating.

Well, one review out there actually complained that there wasn't much "human screentime" because they gave the robots too much development. They cited this as a bad thing.

I might actually go and see this at the cinema, this time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

Well, one review out there actually complained that there wasn't much "human screentime" because they gave the robots too much development. They cited this as a bad thing.

I might actually go and see this at the cinema, this time.

The Autobots, plus Lockdown and, to a lesser extent, Galvatron are great in this movie. I mean, they're violent as ever in the Bayverse, but there's actual team dynamics and stuff. Nothing groundbreaking, but well-implemented.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

strangehamster posted:

Me too. Well 20 minutes now. Bad choice buddies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

SpikeMcclane posted:

Me too. Well 20 minutes now. Bad choice buddies!

I'm doing it in 3D! I paid extra for that?!? Aka Spiderdrake migraine pals.

Current commercial status: mayonnaise, compact SUV, deodorant