Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
After watching Smash at EVO, I'm okay with competitive Smash even if the players themselves are mostly weird and/or creepy, but it's pretty fun to watch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've never understood the absolute defense of Melee over Brawl anyway. I mean I can totally get why people that are way into fighting games put Street Fighter or Guilty Gear etc over Smash, for the same reason why big RPG people like me turn our nose up at Mass Effect and poo poo like that, but Smash games have always seemed basically the same but with more and more diverse rosters (Melee's mostly clones but Brawl's full of more diverse movesets for example).

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

I've never understood the absolute defense of Melee over Brawl anyway. I mean I can totally get why people that are way into fighting games put Street Fighter or Guilty Gear etc over Smash, for the same reason why big RPG people like me turn our nose up at Mass Effect and poo poo like that, but Smash games have always seemed basically the same but with more and more diverse rosters (Melee's mostly clones but Brawl's full of more diverse movesets for example).

I like Brawl a lot as a party game, but tripping randomly to punish wavedashers disproportionately, rather than I dunno, coding out wavedashing, sucks big time. It hurts everyone, just serious players more so, and was a really bad design choice.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It does not hurt me.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

It does not hurt me.

Same, there's competitive Rock Paper Scissors, saying that there is a change to smash that can destroy the tournament communities is just naïve. As long as people still like Nintendo characters there will still be people that want to play Smash competitively. Hell, Nintendo has even included the "For Glory" mode that makes every stage final destination and making GameCube controllers again just for people that give a gently caress about that garbage.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Al-Saqr posted:

hahaha the thunderous music that played when Liam goes berserk in rage against Square Enix over Type Zero, hahaha.

The best part is Matt trying to get a word in beforehand and Pat basically telling him, "Naw, just let him wear himself out."

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Man, lately it's like Liam purposefully just quietly waits until there's a topic the other 3 agree on just to righteously take the opposite stance and then whine about why they're all wrong.

I've only noticed it real bad in the last couple podcasts but drat it's annoying when people do that.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Liam is a huge chode and is pretty terrible yes.

Nuzlocke though, now that's suffering, for everyone involved. You can watch Matt and Woolie slowly get grounded down as each episode is uploaded. It's almost perverse in its complete tedium.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I remember Woolie said in Retsutalk that he doesn't like unfinished LPs.
So he ain't dropping the Nuzlocke, you guys. Papa Woolie's got them principles.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I love Pokemon but there are chunks of every game that are just terrible slogs that in game design terms are basically meant to ensure your team is at a good level for what's coming and all, but in player terms are just dull. Basically everything they're doing now to the next gym is that chunk of the original.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just hope Pat and Liam play Barkley 2 whenever that comes out, because they turned out to be such a perfect pair to play Barkley 1.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
When I saw Barkley was Pat/Liam I was like "nooooooo" then it turned out to be one of their best LP's.

(but maybe it would have been EVEN BETTER with pat/matt?? who knows)

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wanna see what Matt and Woolie think about Barkley.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

AXE COP posted:

When I saw Barkley was Pat/Liam I was like "nooooooo" then it turned out to be one of their best LP's.

(but maybe it would have been EVEN BETTER with pat/matt?? who knows)

It was really great, but nothing will ever beat the Sadness Trilogy of David Cage games in my mind. I'm still talking about the underwater Chinese ghost base.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The amount of audible sighs during the Smash Bros. discussion is magical. You don't understand it isn't exactly like Melee so it's bullshit. Why aren't they concentrating on making things TOURNAMENT VIABLE.

The Barkley LP was magical though. Podcast Liam and LP Liam seem to be two different beasts. One is argumentative as gently caress and grinds down discussion and the other is GARGOYLES A-WOO-WOO.

EDIT: hold up I just made it to the Type 0 part this is AMAZING.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 18, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Liam losing his goddamn mind over Type-0, or any SE shenanigans really, is always great.

One thing I'm not clear on because I've always ignored T0 since I assumed we'd never get it: Liam mentioned some time ago that we were getting something called Agito (bring back the code name, sure that makes sense SE) but it was just some poo poo version of Type 0 and not the real game. Now they're saying we're getting Type-0 for real, but all I see from E3 is something called Agito.

Either way, it seems to be Final Fantasy Persona which I am so on board with.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Agito is the mobile prequel to type0.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
TheSw1tcher just hit it's 1000th Youtube video. Daaaamn.

It's the start of Matt 'n' Liam playing Sword of the Berzerk.

...do we talk about the videos here, or just the podcasts?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty sure it's a general thread. I mean it's the same with the giantbomb thread.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
holy poo poo they're playing that Dreamcast berserk game I randomly bought and powered through (it's loving hard) completely unaware of the manga it was based on for years afterwards. I was completely horrified to find out the real nature of what Berserk actually was.

It's a cool and hard game though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm sad it's not the REAL Berserk game but Arc of the Millennium Falcon is JP only so even though they got that mailbag copy I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't bother.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Al-Saqr posted:

holy poo poo they're playing that Dreamcast berserk game I randomly bought and powered through (it's loving hard) completely unaware of the manga it was based on for years afterwards. I was completely horrified to find out the real nature of what Berserk actually was.

It's a cool and hard game though.

Is this some kind of goony "oh god something I liked turned out to be based on ANIME my life is over" weirdo reaction, or more because you decided to read the manga afterward and found out that Berserk is hosed up

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Berserk is pretty loving boss.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
These are not mutually exclusive statements!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The Berserk PS2 game got an english patch like last year sometime. Be cool if they checked it out.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Remember when Guts cut a lightning storm in half while riding on a flying minotaur thing?

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 20, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Is this some kind of goony "oh god something I liked turned out to be based on ANIME my life is over" weirdo reaction, or more because you decided to read the manga afterward and found out that Berserk is hosed up

It's because someone handed me a whole bunch of volumes for the manga and I got to find out found out how crazy awesome/hosed up it really was.

How dare you sir, howDARE you question my anime nerd credentials.

*smack*

Pistols at dawn or forgo your Honor!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 20, 2014

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

CJacobs posted:

Berserk is pretty loving boss.

It is in fact NOT for jerks.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Berserk is on the short list of anime & manga that it's socially acceptable for literally anyone of any age (apart from babbys I guess) to enjoy.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Or have a little confidence and just like what you like instead of qualifying your own interests to a bunch of worthless strangers on the internet.

That's something I find charming about this podcast/youtube channel, the boys are basically all "gently caress you, I like these things".

Edit: which is something I actually dig about Liam. I said earlier I find him kind of annoying in the podcast when he's being super contrarian because it comes across to me so calculated and disingenuous. But as far as him being a big ol anime fan, it's whatever. He likes what he likes, knows its shortcomings and isn't ashamed of it and I can actually respect that. It's hard to explain.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 20, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Or have a little confidence and just like what you like instead of qualifying your own interests to a bunch of worthless strangers on the internet.

That's something I find charming about this podcast/youtube channel, the boys are basically all "gently caress you, I like these things".

Edit: which is something I actually dig about Liam. I said earlier I find him kind of annoying in the podcast when he's being super contrarian because it comes across to me so calculated and disingenuous. But as far as him being a big ol anime fan, it's whatever. He likes what he likes, knows its shortcomings and isn't ashamed of it and I can actually respect that. It's hard to explain.

I think that makes sense. Someone who straight up admits to their guilty pleasures and recognizes their faults is easier to discuss with than someone who just denies claims or pushes them aside ("You just don't understand why it's good" etc etc). As long as the guilty pleasures aren't too damning.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HGH posted:

As long as the guilty pleasures aren't too damning.
He likes Oreimo which is fairly damning

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.
Woah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Xf2igqtII

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

This is great, but i feel like it's playing things a little too straight and didnt have enough comedic hooks to really make me super excited, it's kinda missing that 'spark' Barkley had and the gang are acting and talking far too normally than they wouldve. if you're trying to make a game that parodies them, make them ultra doofuses, not straight faced heroes.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

beep by grandpa posted:

Man, lately it's like Liam purposefully just quietly waits until there's a topic the other 3 agree on just to righteously take the opposite stance and then whine about why they're all wrong.

I've only noticed it real bad in the last couple podcasts but drat it's annoying when people do that.

To be fair, you pretty much have to do that when you're on a skype call with a bunch of people in the same room. You can also hear everyone completely talk over him a couple of times.

That said his devil's advocate act is pretty grating, he's much better when he's being genuinely excited/angry about things.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No Woolie, Vanessa IS cooler than Rick Strowd, it's not a hard choice. :colbert:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Resident Evil 4 is up there in terms of my favorite runs, I'll be sad when it's gone (after they finish the Ada missions).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beFjQtDKw9I

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

It's weird how I used to love the bad game videos and LPs and would be bored by them playing good games, but now I've found myself loving RE4 and being pretty bored with Sword of the Berserk. I feel like their hope - game - re sign commentary has really leveled up.

I still love and need Cryme Tyme, though.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

hoobajoo posted:

I still love and need Cryme Tyme, though.

I actually played 25 To Life years ago and got a little farther than they did. It plays even worse then they showed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Was playing Shovel Knight, which just released today, and hey look who it is.