Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

• The Dinobots don't have much screentime and don't have any actual personality, and are never given names (or even called "Dinobots").
Even Grimlock? Do the Dinobots have any lines?

Anyway, I too have joined the Scoria club. He's so shiny he's impossible to photograph well, but he's otherwise awesome aside from a few tolerance issues that aren't too bad. I won't be flipping his frill back in robot mode the way the instructions recommend though because I feel really nervous about putting that much pressure on chromed plastic. Some people on TFW2005 are reporting loose arms and dino jaws that can't even hold up their own weight, fortunately mine doesn't have any of those problems.

Also I'm not if this has been posted in this thread before:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's like it was written by an actual dinobot :)

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm just wondering but for the plethora of classics molds being repainted for AOE, is it true that some are packaged with instructions labeled with the generations line?

I'm curious if this is just plain laziness or does this also mean a bunch of stuff is under generations. Because I'm ok with the classics Prime mold in 1984 colors being an official generations release.

All of the AoE mainline (non-simplified) figures are Generations. Says so right on the sides of the packages.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Knormal posted:

Even Grimlock? Do the Dinobots have any lines?

Nope, none of them say a thing. They might get some characterization in the next one, though!

Also, only four appear - Grimlock, Slug, Scorn, and Strafe.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Some thoughts on the film:

I was hoping to see more transformations in the film and was disappointed. I don't think Crosshairs, Drift, or Hound ever transformed on-screen. Seeing the dinobots transform for the first time was awesome and when Optimus transformed during his beat-up form in the desert it was cool. The human-made transformers didn't "transform" in the traditional sense, they kinda separated into floating metal cubes and remerged into robot mode.

Frank Welker as Galvatron sounded fantastic! It was very TF:Prime Megatron.

The rescanning of Optimus and Bumblebee didn't quite happen how I expected since the robot modes are so unlike anything else, it was kinda "oh hey a cool car/truck driving by I'll scan it" and was very quick.

And what happened to the dancing scene shown in the commercials??

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 27, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I picked up Drift via Amazon as suggested by Xenomrph and I'm really digging him. Transformation is quick and fun and he just looks drat good. I hate the yellow of his swords though and I don't get why the back part (airbrake and back bumper) are black plastic instead of the blue like the rest of the car. Oh, and why the hell they gave him silver paint in the rims. That's pretty strange. Overall drat pleased and I can't wait for that pack to get the better deco of him.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

What a long movie, I have to go back to my home planet now.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I like strafe he is good

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

That movie was hot garbage from beginning to end. The writing is exactly what you'd expect from Bay, the cinematography is like Michael J Fox is filming it while riding a scooter down an unpaved road, there's a near-constant "poo poo floating/flying around in the air" filter that at times makes no sense, there are all the plot and continuity holes you'd probably expect, the pacing is an absolute trainwreck, and it's easily 45 minutes longer than necessary. Those are the nicest things I can say about it.

Oh, and Optimus jumps straight on through the 'sociopath' barrier in this one. There's half a dozen instances of him just screaming I'LL KILL YOU, he beats up an innocent human within 10 minutes of appearing, he temporarily enslaves the Dinobots by threatening to murder Grimlock if they don't follow him, and oh yeah - he straight up murders a human.

Okay, there is ONE good thing. Galvatron is very clearly stated to be Megatron in a new body, and they don't kill him. Not only that, but a whole bunch of his Decepticons/Vehicons/clones/whatever survive as well. He promises to face Prime again - but then Prime reveals he has space-worthy jet boots and takes this movie's plot mcguffin and abandons the planet. Even though he knows he's leaving a tiny band of dysfunctional rear end in a top hat Autobots alone against Megatron and company. Seriously, he knows Megatron is back but doesn't care even a little. And ALL the Autobots are giant assholes who regularly threaten/try to murder one another.

There's a lot of hamfisted references to the 'creators' of the Transformers being responsible for all this. At the very beginning of the film you see a very brief glance of part of one of them, I think, and it looks like some kind of techno-organic bullshit.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

GrimGypsy posted:

That movie was hot garbage from beginning to end. The writing is exactly what you'd expect from Bay, the cinematography is like Michael J Fox is filming it while riding a scooter down an unpaved road, there's a near-constant "poo poo floating/flying around in the air" filter that at times makes no sense, there are all the plot and continuity holes you'd probably expect, the pacing is an absolute trainwreck, and it's easily 45 minutes longer than necessary. Those are the nicest things I can say about it.

Oh, and Optimus jumps straight on through the 'sociopath' barrier in this one. There's half a dozen instances of him just screaming I'LL KILL YOU, he beats up an innocent human within 10 minutes of appearing, he temporarily enslaves the Dinobots by threatening to murder Grimlock if they don't follow him, and oh yeah - he straight up murders a human.

Okay, there is ONE good thing. Galvatron is very clearly stated to be Megatron in a new body, and they don't kill him. Not only that, but a whole bunch of his Decepticons/Vehicons/clones/whatever survive as well. He promises to face Prime again - but then Prime reveals he has space-worthy jet boots and takes this movie's plot mcguffin and abandons the planet. Even though he knows he's leaving a tiny band of dysfunctional rear end in a top hat Autobots alone against Megatron and company. Seriously, he knows Megatron is back but doesn't care even a little. And ALL the Autobots are giant assholes who regularly threaten/try to murder one another.

There's a lot of hamfisted references to the 'creators' of the Transformers being responsible for all this. At the very beginning of the film you see a very brief glance of part of one of them, I think, and it looks like some kind of techno-organic bullshit.

God dammit. I think I'll be skipping this one after all. I know it's totally weeaboo of me but I can't deal with what they've done to Optimus Prime's characterization. He supposed to be the wise and peace-seeking leader not the loving Punisher.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Omitting experiences from your life based on your disappointment in what they were "supposed" to be (without even experiencing them yourself) is such an odd way to live to me. I don't get it.

Obviously errybody is free to do whatever makes them happy; but, all I have in terms of expectations when approaching fiction isn't outside of, "okay, what is this trying to do?"

This whole approach of things from the form->down instead of the shape->up just sounds like an endlessly frustrating way to live.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Haha, what in the living hell did I just watch? Bay couldn't make a coherent film if his life depended on it.

DoctorWhat posted:

Nope, none of them say a thing. They might get some characterization in the next one, though!

Also, only four appear - Grimlock, Slug, Scorn, and Strafe.

They have one line. On the bridge when they transform one of them, presumably Grimlock, says "We hold the bridge here" or something like that.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 27, 2014

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I thought it was Crosshairs that said that.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

SpikeMcclane posted:

I thought it was Crosshairs that said that.

Honestly I couldn't quite tell, but they showed Grimlock the whole time it was being said, and Crosshairs kept driving.

Zombiejack
Jan 16, 2006
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

GrimGypsy posted:

and oh yeah - he straight up murders a human.

Oddly enough this has always been a beef with the michael bay films is that human cast rarely appear to be in any real danger as the body count of Giant armor plated robots piles up. I object to it being Prime who does that but it's nice to see someone getting killed because they got involved with race which can kill a human with a single finger
Also what's the context of this?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

All of the AoE mainline (non-simplified) figures are Generations. Says so right on the sides of the packages.

No those are the movie generations, it even says Series M4(Movie 4) and has a different numbering system. I mean stuff like the Prime Grimlock 2 pack or the Optimus Evolution Pack which are the Classics/Generations figures.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Zombiejack posted:

Oddly enough this has always been a beef with the michael bay films is that human cast rarely appear to be in any real danger as the body count of Giant armor plated robots piles up. I object to it being Prime who does that but it's nice to see someone getting killed because they got involved with race which can kill a human with a single finger
Also what's the context of this?

Near the beginning of the film, when it becomes obvious that someone is working with Lockdown to hunt down Autobots, Optimus says that whoever the human is behind it all "will die." Seriously, he says he's going to hunt down and kill the person behind it. The person turns out to be CIA operative Kelsey Grammer, who has a character name but I have no idea what it was. Sure enough at the very end of the film, Kelsey Grammer threatens our hero CADE YEAGER with a pistol and as he makes his big "serving my country" speech, Optimus takes a break from fighting with Lockdown to blow him away with a cannon blast. Not even an exaggeration here. He turns, fires, blows Frasier the gently caress away and you see his broken, burnt body laying on the ground in the next shot. 2 1/2 hours into a movie filled with horrific, morally repugnant behavior from the supposed "good guys," that still made my jaw drop.

In fact, the last five minutes or so of the film are mind-shreddingly strange and insane, even by Bayformers standards. After one-shotting Frasier, Optimus is saved by the humans using a tow truck to pull his sword out of his chest, which he then uses to stab Lockdown in the back and then cut him in half, after which he says, "Honor to the end," which makes absolutely no sense in any context whatsoever given what has happened in the film. Then everybody gathers by the riverside where cops pull guns on all the Autobots, but decide not to shoot for some reason. Marky Mark and family hug but comment that their house blew up, then tech billionaire Stanley "Totally Not Steve Jobs" Tucci, who has had a Heel/Face turn in the second half of the movie, says he'll fix that for them. Optimus then tells the Dinobots they're free, and the Dinobots promptly scamper (seriously, it's the only word for it) off into China somewhere while everyone watches them go. Then Prime tells the other Autobots to defend Earth, because he's taking the Seed bomb thing into space to find the Transformers' creators and put an end to whatever is going on with them putting a bounty on Prime's head. Optimus then rockets off into space with jet boots and makes a nonsensical speech about how he's coming for them, looking for all the world like Michael Bay's take on Poochie's departure from the Itchy & Scratchy show. I guess we'll have to wait until TF5 to find out if Optimus died on the way back to his home planet.

The Taint Reaper posted:

No those are the movie generations, it even says Series M4(Movie 4) and has a different numbering system. I mean stuff like the Prime Grimlock 2 pack or the Optimus Evolution Pack which are the Classics/Generations figures.

That's one mighty fine hair you're splitting there. I defer to CyRaptor on the issue.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

That's one mighty fine hair you're splitting there. I defer to CyRaptor on the issue.

I'm asking if they come with the unchanged Generations instructions that their original non-movie generations versions came with.

Also Whirl is officially unofficially a quad-changer. This is something that takara made an official transformation for Cloud Shockwave. It works with Ruination as a weapon and will probably also work with Voyager Roadbuster.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Poor Shockwave, Megatron doesn't look like a guy who uses a lot of lube. :stare:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I enjoyed the movie. The only real problem I had was it started to feel LONG which is never a good thing.

It was helped substancially by having a generally likable cast. How could you hate Mark Wahlberg? (or those arms?) I was surprised that they had two pretty upsetting deaths right at the beginning of the movie. Ratchet was sad just because he just kept saying "I'm an Autobot, why are you doing this? :( But I was especially surprised they killed off the comic relief Luke right away, I guess it worked in making people think nobody is safe since they did spend a fair amount of time developing him and his relationship to Cade.

It was fine. We've been through this three times so it isn't like I had some grand expectations. Though the Dinobots almost felt like a last minute addition to the movie. They were cool but they were in it for maybe 30 minutes max?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Doctor posted:

Poor Shockwave, Megatron doesn't look like a guy who uses a lot of lube. :stare:

It's ok, he can probably be held like an arm cannon by Leader Megatron.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 27, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Keldroc posted:

So is anyone still imagining he's not Vaerai or are we all just quietly sighing as the crazy person yells on the bus here?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

With the ending of Age of Extinction, I'm hoping that the next movie's Optimus Prime will basically be Star Saber.

Lockdown is a robot that turns into a car but is as tall as Optimus in robot mode, just like his toys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The MSJ posted:

Lockdown is a robot that turns into a car but is as tall as Optimus in robot mode, just like his toys.

Something something mass shifting.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

therealjon_ posted:

It was fine. We've been through this three times so it isn't like I had some grand expectations.[/spoiler]

How about expectations of non-repulsive behavior from the characters we're supposed to root for? The Autobots were all violent, unpleasant, borderline sociopaths, even to each other. Prime straight up murders a guy, and he almost certainly kills some of the Graveyard Wind guys at the barn. I mean, even leaving aside the incoherent editing (Why are so many scenes and shots near the beginning so incomplete feeling? Why do character positions and situations drastically change literally between shots so many times?) and the inexcusable length of the drat thing (it's easily 45 minutes too long, and for no good reason), can we really not expect better from supposed heroes?

I had hoped that the departure of Orci would lessen the abhorrent morality the last two movies had put on display, but if anything AoE is worse in that department. I think it was very much not fine, in ways I really didn't expect it to be not fine.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

But the dude he murdered basically led the initiative to brutally murder and melt down his friends, and had he not killed him he would have killed Cade.

Not to say he hasn't done lovely stuff in the past but I'm not sure if that murder is one if say was a bad one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Besides, movies are allowed to have unpleasant characters in them, even in "heroic" roles.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Guys, I'm pretty sure in these movies the Autobots are straight up the bad guys. You can't blame the humans for wanting to shoot them on sight. Frasier Crane is practically the film's hero.

I kind of want a G1 \ Movie crossover where G1 Optimus thinks movie Optimus is cool at first, but is horrified by his actions and gradually realizes he's an evil maniac and has to stop him from enslaving the human race or something. That's my personal fanfiction that just exists in my brain.

Also after being beaten movie Optimus goes even more insane, decides to paint himself black and teal and BAM, Nemesis Prime.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Those spoilers sound so loving funny and insane that I kind of want to see it, in a 'cinema-going equivalent of a hatefuck' sort of way.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

therealjon_ posted:

But the dude he murdered basically led the initiative to brutally murder and melt down his friends, and had he not killed him he would have killed Cade.

Not to say he hasn't done lovely stuff in the past but I'm not sure if that murder is one if say was a bad one.

It's a horrifically uneven matchup and it's dramatically unsatisfying, and the right call would have been to capture and expose the guy publicly (something that is actually foreshadowed by Stanley Tucci's character early in the Beijing scenes) or have Cade defeat him. Having Prime do it is like swatting a fly with a Buick in terms of dramatic stakes, plus it causes Optimus to cross a very defined line into murdering human beings. Doesn't really matter what they did, especially considering it's all a result of the war that he and his kind brought to Earth in the first place. This is a problem with Prime's behavior and mental state throughout the film, especially his constant blaming of the entire human race for his problems, many of which could have been avoided if he hadn't let Chicago get nailed by Sentinel rather than just going to Chicago and stopping him first instead of pulling the fake death move, but also who the hell is he, of all sentient beings, to be throwing an entire race under the bus for the abhorrent actions of a few individuals? Hmm...what does that sound like? Oh yeah, do you remember a guy called Megatron? Are the humans persecuting you perhaps judging your entire kind by his actions and the actions of his followers? It's out of character even for movie Prime to think this way, in large part because it's an incredibly juvenile and short-sighted way to think about it.

Several times in the film he says "Okay, we do this and then we are the hell out of here, gently caress the humans!" but all this is happening because of Transformers' presence on Earth. Even the Bay Prime has always owned the responsibility the Autobots have to clean up their mess on Earth. Even if the other Autobots want to get the gently caress out of Dodge (very reasonable attitude for soldiers on the ground considering the situation), it's Optimus' role to change their minds and explain why it's their duty to get the job done. It's incredibly weird scriptwriting, and it's like they didn't even think their characters' mental states through very much. If they really wanted to have Prime be at this rock bottom angry level, it would have helped if A) He wasn't borderline psychotic in the last two films already and B) We saw exactly how the Autobots went from triumph in Chicago to being separated and hunted later on. Where are the former N.E.S.T. guys? Where are the government liasons they worked with? Where's Sam? Was Prime betrayed? I know these are silly questions to ask of a Michael Bay sequel, but that doesn't make them irrelevant ones.

DoctorWhat posted:

Besides, movies are allowed to have unpleasant characters in them, even in "heroic" roles.

Normally movies that do that are trying to say something with those unpleasant characters, or at least promote a theme of some kind that requires an unpleasant character to help illustrate it. AoE has no such themes beyond the usual bland "you gotta believe" aphorisms, and none of that explains why the Autobots keep pointing their weapons at one another at the drop of a hat. What you're saying is something you can use to defend the inclusion of repulsive characters in a complex and layered story. When you just have unpleasant characters in a script that has no reason for them to behave that way, you just have bad writing.

Sentinel Red posted:

Those spoilers sound so loving funny and insane that I kind of want to see it, in a 'cinema-going equivalent of a hatefuck' sort of way.

I totally get why they would have that effect, but seriously, don't. Wait until you can watch it on your couch and take breaks at appropriate times. It is so loving long. It drags far, far worse than the other three. Overall it's probably better than Revenge of the Fallen, though.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 27, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

News about continuing amoral savagery in AOE

I remember feeling pretty horrible after watching at least 2-3 people get killed while begging for mercy at the end of DOTM, and hearing this news is just really, really sad. How did parents get Joe Camel bumped off, but they are super cool with taking their kids to these movies? "There's no problem you can't murder your way out of!" *The more you know*

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I remember feeling pretty horrible after watching at least 2-3 people get killed while begging for mercy at the end of DOTM, and hearing this news is just really, really sad. How did parents get Joe Camel bumped off, but they are super cool with taking their kids to these movies? "There's no problem you can't murder your way out of!" *The more you know*

Bay takes the robot gore porn to some new levels in this one, including making you watch Ratchet die slowly and painfully while begging for mercy a couple of times (live and then on video replay), and later watching as his head is melted down for the raw rare earth metal it's made out of, which is called, I poo poo you not, "Transformium."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

Bay takes the robot gore porn to some new levels in this one, including making you watch Ratchet die slowly and painfully while begging for mercy a couple of times (live and then on video replay), and later watching as his head is melted down for the raw rare earth metal it's made out of, which is called, I poo poo you not, "Transformium."

The humans name it Transformium for marketing reasons.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The nice thing is, Pacific Rim 2 was greenlit the day after AOE premiered. And it should be out around the same time as the fifth movie.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

The humans name it Transformium for marketing reasons.

And they named the magic metal in Avatar "unobtanium" as a science in-joke. That doesn't make either name less ridiculous.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

I don't want to go SuperMechaGodzilla on this movie (and the series as a whole) but it really does seem like Bay has been unsuccessfully trolling since about halfway through DOTM. Is there a point when people will be upset about this poo poo being marketed in a movie to kids?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

Where's Sam?

Bumblebee got tired of watching him get his as kicked outside bars and ditched him.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I don't want to go SuperMechaGodzilla on this movie (and the series as a whole) but it really does seem like Bay has been unsuccessfully trolling since about halfway through DOTM. Is there a point when people will be upset about this poo poo being marketed in a movie to kids?

You'd think, but I guess not or it probably would have happened by now. There are actually a couple of very graphic (for PG-13) human deaths in the film that surprised me, as usually that's reserved for the robots.

Rhyno posted:

Bumblebee got tired of watching him get his as kicked outside bars and ditched him.

Right before the movie started I did see some tweets about LeBeef being dragged out of a Broadway show in tears and handcuffs. Can't blame Bee for ditching that drama.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

It honestly does kind of bother me a little that movie Optimus is being marketed as a hero and role model to children and they have him on push stuffed dolls and lunchboxes.

Hey kids, the Heroic Jason Vorhees (TM) murders the horrible, immoral college kids because they are having sex outside of wedlock unlike how God had intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Am I still the only one annoyed with Cullen for being complicit in poisoning kids' minds for a paycheck? I am? Ok great good talk.