Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i want to avoid dependencies as much as possible cause this is for a javaagent which is why i looked at jaxb at all. probably i hosed up the schema

xjc still generates poo poo code though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
protobuf is a really convoluted method of passing butt = 1

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the bug i reported is a big deal lol gently caress all yall someone else do my work

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

i want to avoid dependencies as much as possible cause this is for a javaagent which is why i looked at jaxb at all. probably i hosed up the schema

i get vs to generate an xsd from the xml then have xsd.exe make a class

still sucks dick tho

yaml4life gently caress json

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i tried protobufs for a thing once and they were really slow to parse, like barely any faster than xml. i was probably doing something wrong i guess? but if it's that easy to do them wrong then they're probably bad anyway.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

i tried protobufs for a thing once and they were really slow to parse, like barely any faster than xml. i was probably doing something wrong i guess? but if it's that easy to do them wrong then they're probably bad anyway.

Weird, I've never benchmarked them for speed so the only thing I've got to go on is this: https://code.google.com/p/thrift-protobuf-compare/wiki/Benchmarking

We're mostly concerned with the serialized size of the messages and the libraries we need to include to use them.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Soricidus posted:

if you made a big blob of tiny strings maybe. protobufs are for the string haters club

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Soricidus posted:

cap'n proto and then mmap

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

if you need it i guess, but blitting pseudo-C structs in 2014 seems like a an allegic reaction to bloat

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

actually, nvm, good joak

quote:

The encoding allows bytes other than the last to be zero, but some applications (especially ones written in languages that use NUL-terminated strings) may truncate at the first zero.

ahahahahha

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Brain Candy posted:

if you need it i guess, but blitting pseudo-C structs in 2014 seems like a an allegic reaction to bloat

some googe guys just released flatbuffers too, so i guess it's a thing some people need somewhere

protocol buffers are plenty fast for most use cases though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

atleast use this: http://cxf.apache.org/cxf-xjc-plugin.html to generate the source cause its gonna make it easy to repeat your results.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

atleast use this: http://cxf.apache.org/cxf-xjc-plugin.html to generate the source cause its gonna make it easy to repeat your results.

i'm using some other xjc plugin but yeah. never check in generated code

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i cast protocol buffs on myself

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i also used them as a faster smaller alternative to .NET serialization and i have no regrets!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Share Bear posted:

the bug i reported is a big deal lol gently caress all yall someone else do my work

wait, is this related to the earlier JavaScript thing?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
bumping this thread so some idiot knows where it is

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
butts

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

bumping this thread so some idiot knows where it is

i'm the idiot

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

honored to have you posting in my thread :worship:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

LARD LORD posted:

i'm the idiot

i switched to writing the matasano crypto challenges, the first one was okay, second is a little slower going

probably some really hideous stuff going on here http://pastebin.com/asRmBHSS

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 27, 2014

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
dat brace style

i like the look of your code ( i didn't read it though ) it looks like good code

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i hate any problem that involes mapping values to to other values that's not a problem it's typing

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
well the idea is that the first few problems are library building busy work and then you get into hard stuff later, I'm finding it good practice since I've never written anything below JavaScript before

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
did this get poste here? it's a nice little script injection 101

https://xss-game.appspot.com/

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i hate any problem that involes mapping values to to other values that's not a problem it's typing
yeah its the only disadvantage of using stored procs instead of an orm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im the atypical usage of ++/-- as prefixes instead of suffixes

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Bloody posted:

im the atypical usage of ++/-- as prefixes instead of suffixes

but its faster here look at the asm...

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
i'm just going based on bjarne stroustrup's book :ohdear:

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

theres a lot of technically correct things in C++ that nobody should ever do

like code c++

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
can't you use stoi

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

but its faster here look at the asm...

i was told that preincrement was faster than postincrement (i'm sure it's not an issue any more and everything gets optimized away)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Socracheese posted:

theres a lot of technically correct things in C++ that nobody should ever do

like code c++

C++ doesn't have garbage collection because it would collect itself

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

suffix posted:

did this get poste here? it's a nice little script injection 101

https://xss-game.appspot.com/

Why don't script tags work on level 2?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i use postincrement always because imo it looks nicer and if you care about the ordering of side effects or the compiler can't optimize properly because of your side effects then gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

this is my uncontrollable visceral reaction to c++ and anything c++ related

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

i use postincrement always because imo it looks nicer and if you care about the ordering of side effects or the compiler can't optimize properly because of your side effects then gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU
I use preincrement except when I want postincrement semantics because it definitely won't be slower.

and I've seen enough compilers to know that it's amazing some of the things you assume they optimise that do not in fact get optimised at all.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I always heard that postincrement was the idiomatic choice.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

i prefer i++, is it just as valid? i'm just trying to make nice looking code and follow the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

post increment requires the construction of a temporary object, pre doesn't. (and copy elision can't eliminate the temporary)

• Locked thread