Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

That part bothered myself and my fiancée as well. No death scenes, no nothing. Just now they are here and now they aren't.

Volt was only in there to advertise whatever car he turned into. I don't remember which one. The Arcee twins vanished because one of them was dead and it would have been awkward to have the other two around after that.

The new one is incredible. At one point, after Punching out Grimlock, Optimus Yells "You're free, now follow me." at this point, not realising what Optimus is is just wilfully not engaging with the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

One of the consistent complaints that I've seen from both professional reviewers and just average moviegoers alike is how difficult it is to distinguish between the robots in the movies. Granted, I've seen all of them several times, but I've literally never had trouble figuring out which robot is which, even in the midst of action scenes. Is it really that bad for most people? Seems to me more like someone said it once and people just ran with it as one more thing to complain about, but I'm genuinely curious.
For the first movie it was kind of easy to keep track of the Autobots what with Prime being a truck, Bumblebee being yellow etc, but the Decepticons were basically "mook, mook, mook, Megatron? mook, yellow mook, this guy has wings, must be Starscream" thanks to the comparatively less vehicle kibble in robot mode and the lack of time spent actually bothering to just say their names out loud. The second movie had far less of a problem with this (although I still don't know which is Skids and which is Mudflap) and the third was more distinct again. I suspect it was limitations of technology and the fact that when Decepticons were onscreen in the first entry they were usually moving and bits whirled everywhere.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Since this comes out tonight and I'm about to head out I figure it's a good time as any to post about Fandango having a $14 voucher for $7 in Amazon Local. IMAX 3D is expensive as all gently caress so this helps.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arcee the female robot was in the Transformers movies? The Bay ones??

EDIT: Apparently she was!

I dont even remember this scene in RoTF. :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 27, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's from the very beginning when they're chasing that one robot. They also show up for like 2 seconds in the pyramid fight and one of them gets shot dead.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving blink and you'll miss it. Is Hot Rod in the new one?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Vintersorg posted:

loving blink and you'll miss it.
They mention "send out the Arcee triplets" or something like that, but yeah it's for like 5 minutes.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Arcee remains the only female robot in the Bay films. You think they'd include one in AoE given that Marky Mark has a daughter and Hound is so obviously Bulkhead from TF: Prime but...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hasbro views Transformers as a boy's franchise. Arcee was even supposed to be in the 2007 movie but was replaced with Ironhide.

If you want female characters, you need the IDW comics which have several of them. 3 of them are even getting toys soon, but Hasbro views these toys as being meant for collectors ("boys 18+"). One of them was made female because fans voted for it, even. Another one, Chromia, transforms into a Tron bike.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Milky Moor posted:

Arcee remains the only female robot in the Bay films. You think they'd include one in AoE given that Marky Mark has a daughter and Hound is so obviously Bulkhead from TF: Prime but...

There's also the human replicant-bot who tries to seduce Sam for inexplicable reasons.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Leospeare posted:

There's also the human replicant-bot who tries to seduce Sam for inexplicable reasons.

To get the...thing...that he had...that...Was Sam carrying the pyramids in that movie?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There was a weird thing I noticed in Age of Extinction that was really noticible in contrast with the first trilogy:

There's a ... I don't want to say perverse because of the irony involved ... level of attention given to not framing the camera around the Male Gaze despite NUMEROUS OPPORTUNITIES. Like, one line of dialogue has Marky Mark bemoaning the shortness of his daughter's jeans (the pockets hang below the cut), and there's a shot of her pants that crops her rear end entirely out of the frame.

It's not a bad thing, quite the opposite, but it's constant and really out of character for Bay. Overall, AoE really isn't, like, offensive (except for Drift, maybe, and he's supposed to be a weeaboo.)

I wonder what that means. Terry, we need you!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Drift is a robot whose fearsome samurai mask is a golden human face where it would traditionally be some sort of folklore monster. I have a hard time determining him as 'offensive' when the only way to really argue that is because he's a samurai-bot voiced by a Japanese man and makes a comment about discipline. It's not subtle, sure, but I'm yet to see a coherent argument for it. The Twins? They were easy - golden tooth, monkey-like faces, illiterate, prone to fighting each other, slapstick, 'mud' in the name...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

There was a weird thing I noticed in Age of Extinction that was really noticible in contrast with the first trilogy:

There's a ... I don't want to say perverse because of the irony involved ... level of attention given to not framing the camera around the Male Gaze despite NUMEROUS OPPORTUNITIES. Like, one line of dialogue has Marky Mark bemoaning the shortness of his daughter's jeans (the pockets hang below the cut), and there's a shot of her pants that crops her rear end entirely out of the frame.

It's not a bad thing, quite the opposite, but it's constant and really out of character for Bay. Overall, AoE really isn't, like, offensive (except for Drift, maybe, and he's supposed to be a weeaboo.)

I thought the parody was that Marky Mark has been sexualised his entire career, especially to girls about his film daughter's age, and now he's a dad, so sex is this terrifying thing for him now. As the first three parodied Sam's viewpoint, this is parodying Cade's, where he's desexualising the same sort of character he would have been all over earlier in his life.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Cade Yeager is like a name from The Demon Rush.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo, this movie. Holy poo poo, Optimus Prime's dialogue. :stare:

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Some thoughts on the film:

I was hoping to see more transformations in the film and was disappointed. I don't think Crosshairs, Drift, or Hound ever transformed on-screen. Seeing the dinobots transform for the first time was awesome and when Optimus transformed during his beat-up form in the desert it was cool. The human-made transformers didn't "transform" in the traditional sense, they kinda separated into floating metal cubes and remerged into robot mode.

Frank Welker as Galvatron sounded fantastic! It was very TF:Prime Megatron.

The rescanning of Optimus and Bumblebee didn't quite happen how I expected since the robot modes are so unlike anything else, it was kinda "oh hey a cool car/truck driving by I'll scan it" and was very quick.

And what happened to the dancing scene shown in the commercials??

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Really? I found that it had the same attention and focus of the male gaze as the previous ones, maybe not as un-subtle though, in that shot with the short shorts I thought the camera pretty much tracked down her back and across her legs - I found that whole bit kind of strange since she's supposed to be 17 and OFF LIMITS, but then she's all high heels and short shorts, I guess it was kinda different that she was his daughter - but I didn't find her role that hugely different to Megan Fox in the previous movies

I was hugely disappointed that Drift was a Bugati Veyron, I mean what the hell? He should have been a Nissan GTR! He's called Drift as well! With the green Dodge Viper guy, was he supposed to be kind of an English fighter pilot? I couldn't quite work his deal out at all

Not A Bear fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 27, 2014

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Not A Bear posted:

Really? I found that it had the same attention and focus of the male gaze as the previous ones, maybe not as un-subtle though, in that shot with the short shorts I thought the camera pretty much tracked down her back and across her legs - I found that whole bit kind of strange since she's supposed to be 17 and OFF LIMITS, but then she's all high heels and short shorts, I guess it was kinda different that she was his daughter - but I didn't find her role that hugely different to Megan Fox in the previous movies

You imagined any tracking shots. It's a quick static shot from the hem of the pants down. It's still a shot of legs I guess, but it's also about the most tame way you can possibly frame a shot meant to emphasize how short shorts are? It's definitely heavily toned down from the centerfold poses of Megan Fox on a bike or Huntington-Whiteley being introduced walking through a house in an rear end-level tracking shot. There are no shots approaching those in this film.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 27, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
When the Professor-bot gave the exposition on Galvatron it was almost a relief it was so obvious and straining to be said.

Also there was a really hilarious section right around when they first hit Hong Kong that had me in stitches.

Also, I'm actually kind of glad they ended up making the billionaire dude an ultimately likeable character, versus the Michael Keaton Raymond Sellars one in Robocop.

Trailer fake-out: by using the sequence of Lockdown's ship doing the Man of Steel thing (though only with metal objects) juxtaposed with the creator fleet shots, they made you think we'd see a reprise of the creators coming back to earth. This obviously didn't happen and is being held back for a sequel in this trilogy arc, however.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

You imagined any tracking shots. It's a quick static shot from the hem of the pants down. It's still a shot of legs I guess, but it's also about the most tame way you can possibly frame a shot meant to emphasize how short shorts are? It's definitely heavily toned down from the centerfold poses of Megan Fox on a bike or Huntington-Whiteley being introduced walking through a house in an rear end-level tracking shot. There are no shots approaching those in this film.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about that scene - yeah thats true I guess, I did find the introduction of Joshua Joyce and his ladies to be more towards that end of the spectrum though, but yeah definitely more tactful than previously

Not A Bear fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 27, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Arcee the female robot was in the Transformers movies? The Bay ones??

EDIT: Apparently she was!

I dont even remember this scene in RoTF. :3:

I see Chinese in the background there. Did they go to China in #2 as well?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Bloodnose posted:

I see Chinese in the background there. Did they go to China in #2 as well?

Yeah, for one sequence at the beginning where the Autobots and US military are hunting down one of the remaining, hiding Decepticons. Funny enough, that scene is mirrored in TF4 when The FBI and Lockdown hunt down Ratchet.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, for one sequence at the beginning where the Autobots and US military are hunting down one of the remaining, hiding Decepticons. Funny enough, that scene is mirrored in TF4 when The FBI and Lockdown hunt down Ratchet.

It is too, isn't it? I didn't even think of that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

I generally think the details and characters of the Transformers movies are pretty forgettable, but I didn't have much trouble telling the main cast of robots apart in the newest one and I don't remember having that problem in the earlier ones.

Maybe when it's a really chaotic scene and there's lots of assorted mook robots around, but that can happen in any chaotic battle with lots of frame crowding and rapid cutting, regardless of whether or not robots are involved.

In your opinion, was the whole scene where some HK police go "We need help! Call the mainland!" and they cut to the Chinese Defense minister going "We will protect HK, our jets are on the way, there's nothing to fear" just a blatant attempt to appease China to get it into Chinese theaters?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

pentyne posted:

In your opinion, was the whole scene where some HK police go "We need help! Call the mainland!" and they cut to the Chinese Defense minister going "We will protect HK, our jets are on the way, there's nothing to fear" just a blatant attempt to appease China to get it into Chinese theaters?

It's not a matter of opinion. Hollywood's been doing this for a while - Iron Man 3, I remember, had a whole bit added to the Chinese release - because China is a growing market.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, movie owns. As if it would do anything else.

Two things I noticed:

1. The "Asian stereotype" wasn't another case of a bad Bay joke, but part of a set. Each of the remaining Autobots is a(n incredibly obvious) stereotype of a particular action movie staple. The "honorable Samurai", the "off color, overly violent Irish lone wolf", the "grizzled, chubby explosives expert", the "hip young kid who talks in pop references and fights like a break dancer" and of course, the "leader/general".

2. The movie is allllllllll about obsolescence. Mark Wahlberg is become obsolete as a dad, Optimus is becoming obsolete as a transformer, even the movie theatre they were fixing up at the beginning, and all of the junk Wahlberg fixes up, all on the verge of becoming obsolete.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
This movie rocked. Despite terrible seating (we arrived 45 minutes before and the place was packed) I still had a great time.

I felt the action was much cleaner, the explosions kicked rear end and Prime was a total badass. The dinobots were cool but I am curious what they are going to do with the next two movies after that ending.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This movie was absolutely preposterous in so many ways. I saw it on a six story IMAX 3D screen with 500+ other people.

I had a blast. Go see this movie, you fools.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Yeah I said that on the last page. It was extremely hamfisted propaganda that the government obviously requested because it takes like five minutes and has zero impact on the plot and none of the characters involved are ever seen again.

DoctorWhat posted:

It's not a matter of opinion. Hollywood's been doing this for a while - Iron Man 3, I remember, had a whole bit added to the Chinese release - because China is a growing market.
It's different though. The Fan Bingbing stuff from Iron Man 3 was added to the Chinese release alone as something to please Chinese moviegoers. This was propaganda that was requested by the government and put into the worldwide release.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

And it sticks out like an incredible sore thumb.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Nerdy complaining aside, the RLM episode of them watching all 3 TF films at the same time is worth watching. They're dead on about how story beats, even similar shots happen almost simultaneously across the 3. It's pretty impressive how precise Bay's formula is and how tightly he adheres to it, like some kind of sacred geometry of Bayfilm.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bloodnose posted:

It's different though. The Fan Bingbing stuff from Iron Man 3 was added to the Chinese release alone as something to please Chinese moviegoers. This was propaganda that was requested by the government and put into the worldwide release.

And when I say "Chinese release alone" I mean we didn't even get it here in Hong Kong. The mainland distributors must've paid extra for it or something.

edit: also China as a growing market is an understatement. It's second only to the US now and projections for it overtaking the US in box office numbers range from 2020 to as early as 2017. It's insane.

It's also why I'm in the movie business in Hong Kong. :kamina:

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 27, 2014

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

DoctorWhat posted:

Haha, I won't even get to see the film until like, late July. Thanks, Germany!

It's extra dumb because I really want to follow conversations on the film as they happen, but that means I won't be able to go in blind. Oh well, I guess I wasn't blind for the previous films, either.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I appreciate Bay infusing his peculiar brand of masculinity on decades old father figures, the result is jarring to say the least. TF6 will probably have Prime dropping I'll kill you all motherfuckers! if they continue at this pace

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also, and I can't believe that people didn't point this out before, but the best quote of the movie was easily "We keep trying to make him look like Optimus Prime, but he keeps ending up like Megatron!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like the guy in the theatre complaining about remakes and sequels, yet being a fan of El Dorado, directed by Howard Hawks who also made Rio Bravo and Rio Lobo. As well as Scarface 1932 and (probably) The Thing From Another World.

edit: Anyone can name the Chinese actors cameos in this one?

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 28, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

What I really liked about Galvatron in the context of Terry's reading is basically this: Megatron has been galvanised due to Optimus Prime's murdering of him when he reached out his hand to him and so now Megatron has literally lost his soul. He's more machine now than (Cybertronian) man. He's Anakin Skywalker taking on the mantle of Darth Vader and embracing complete and total destruction. Not only is galvanising something the way of prompting someone to action, but galvanisation is the process where an existing material is given a new coating to prevent rusting. It's still Megatron under there, but it's not one who is obsolete, it's one who is seemingly better yet ultimately a soulless husk.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 28, 2014

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I went into this one with Terry's reading of Optimus Prime as a psychotic fascist, but it was still extremely jarring to hear him say "Honor until the end," only to immediately stab Lockdown in the back and then cut his face in half. It's par for the series at this point, but still.

Also, props to the lady next to me who turned to me halfway through the film and yelled "OH MY GOD THAT'S FRICKIN' FRASIER!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Dub posted:

I went into this one with Terry's reading of Optimus Prime as a psychotic fascist, but it was still extremely jarring to hear him say "Honor until the end," only to immediately stab Lockdown in the back and then cut his face in half. It's par for the series at this point, but still.

Also, props to the lady next to me who turned to me halfway through the film and yelled "OH MY GOD THAT'S FRICKIN' FRASIER!"

I was very pleased by Kelsey Grammar's performance, especially because I just started watching Frasier for the third time and it would have been easy for me to not take him seriously, but he stepped up and was hella threatening.