Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm also entirely confused as to why most of the killing fist masters are suddenly deciding to switch teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

Deki posted:

I'm also entirely confused as to why most of the killing fist masters are suddenly deciding to switch teams.

Because even though they are "killing fist" types, they still believe that martial arts are just that, Art. They wanted to establish a more brutal, survival of the fittest society, basically make "killing fist" style martial arts more mainstream. However, the rest of bad guys just want war and world domination.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, except for Ba. Ba just likes being contrary.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

rbakervv posted:

Because even though they are "killing fist" types, they still believe that martial arts are just that, Art. They wanted to establish a more brutal, survival of the fittest society, basically make "killing fist" style martial arts more mainstream. However, the rest of bad guys just want war and world domination.

Also because the plot's kind of falling apart as the artist gets high on his own supply of boobs.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gyges posted:

The one with boobs big enough to be called big boobs lady in HSDK, duh. The one pulling a Tsunade.
I'm pretty sure that Miu or any of the other 'average' girls in HSDK are significantly bustier than Tsunade.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

rbakervv posted:

Plus now the bad guy leadership is doing pussy stuff like blackmail and hostage taking. If the answer to a problem isn't just hitting it so hard it explodes, well that's not an answer that the bad guys switching sides right now can accept.

Also, turning now means more fighting against quality opponents.

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

There's a few new chapters out since the thread got bumped last and some really good stuff is going down. 570

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That chapter makes me wish this series was always about Niijima and Shigure buddy-copping it up.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Patware posted:

Also because the plot's kind of falling apart as the artist gets high on his own supply of boobs.

I'm afraid that they'll have to use the power of friendship to somehow convince Miu's dad to go back to the right path since he's obviously way better than all the other masters excluding the invincible superman (who is not going to interfere in the last fight, that would be unfair). Probably team with the good guys to beat the old blademaster.

The strongest teacher on Ryouzanpaku is mustache and he's obviously going to clash with the endowed one soon as his final fight. And even him would be a non-issue for Saiga.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 8, 2014

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

trucutru posted:

I'm afraid that they'll have to use the power of friendship to somehow convince Miu's dad to go back to the right path since he's obviously way better than all the other masters excluding the invincible superman (who is not going to interfere in the last fight, that would be unfair). Probably team with the good guys to beat the old blademaster.

The strongest teacher on Ryouzanpaku is mustache and he's obviously going to clash with the endowed one soon as his final fight. And even him would be a non-issue for Saiga.

I think the invincible superman will take part, he is on his way there and really the only one who can hope to stop Saiga. I think Saiga ends up dead in a tragic suicidey kind of way after elder prevents him from fulfilling his plan.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
You think the main villain is going to end up dead in the first arc to significantly feature him.

I just want to make sure that's what you're saying.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm saying this is the end of the manga for all intents and purposes. The last sunset was World War II. After this there will be no cohesive plot/bad guy to fight. We will probably get some wandering journeyman adventures and an epilogue where Kenichi and co are now masters and sort of running the dojo (with hilarious previous master hijinks) but as far as the overarching plot.. I assume it is ending here.

All the mysteries around Saiga will be answered, Yami and Yomi will have been defeated, and while the killing fist and living fist will always be at odds there won't be a true conflict raging.

Thinking about it Saiga will probably end up atoning in jail rather than dying.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Nilbop posted:

You think the main villain is going to end up dead in the first arc to significantly feature him.

I just want to make sure that's what you're saying.

Ruroni Kenshin did it the same way with Shishio and it was perfectly fine. I mean, that was a much better manga and all that, but we only ever got limited exposure to him before he died.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is also a manga where the good guys are defined for using martial arts in order to protect life (which is the same as Kenshin so my point is that... eh, yeah). Anyways, the only way Saiga could die is protecting her daughter (which is highly likely).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kenichi loses his focus for a split second and that dude he's fighting who I forget the name of just snaps his neck and everyone looks on in horror and the manga ends with everyone who survived the battle attending Kenichi's funeral. Fast forward 10 years and the world has devolved into a state of constant war between warrior clans, just as the killing fist folks and their weapon-using counterparts desired.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Ytlaya posted:

Kenichi loses his focus for a split second and that dude he's fighting who I forget the name of just snaps his neck and everyone looks on in horror and the manga ends with everyone who survived the battle attending Kenichi's funeral. Fast forward 10 years and the world has devolved into a state of constant war between warrior clans, just as the killing fist folks and their weapon-using counterparts desired.

The chapter opens with a wideshot of a wasteland expanse, roving motorcycle gangs in the distance. Cut to a shot from behind a Sakaki-sized figure, duffel bag slung over the shoulder. The camera slowly pans around to reveal a battle-scarred Honoka brandishing two giant Othello pieces. History's Strongest Master begins.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New chapter is out, posting from my phone or I would link it. New chapter really changes a lot.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
http://www.mangapanda.com/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi/573

Mind gently caress moment

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So is that a guy I should be remembering? Because it feels like a big It was me Austin moment.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
What the hell just even happened? I don't know what's going on any more. This changes quite a lot!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I think I figured it out. Okay remember Sho and Miu's mother are from some ninja clan thing that's been mentioned a few times that is basically all about breeding fighters. I'm guessing they didn't want Saiga and Miu's mother to marry for some reason so they killed her. What Miu saw was new guy killing her mother disguised as her father.

While this makes sense it would have been nice to have some foreshadowing. Which I guess there was some because Satomi kept getting mixed orders. Like letting Shigure go and such, he was getting orders from two Saigas. If there was anything more than that I didn't pick up on it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, recalling I hadn't read this in a few weeks at least gave me a few chapters to catch up, the most interesting of which was actually the last chapter rather than this one - despite the mind gently caress mentioned since it included Niijima having a moment of genuine bravery all on his own, Shigure mocking Saiga, which sure, fanservice, but still funny and Kenichi making a seriously hosed up angry face when attacking whatshisname to protect Miu. Sadly it also had Shiba losing really pathetically easily in only a handful of panels, so it wasn't all good.

Anyways, I doubt we're supposed to know who this guy is from the looks of things in the latest chapter. I'm kind of annoyed it happened at all though. It makes more sense of Saiga helping Kenichi out in the past and being so affalable in general, but is still kind of crummy since I liked the cool enemy he was building up to be through that stuff. Now we just have some randomer we have no history with or reason to care about in his stead. Also, what's up with Okomota's leg in the double page spread. Did he became Mr. Fantastic through martial arts?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
He's the head of the kuremisago. He was named several chapters back as captain eyepatch's other master but they didn't show his face at the time, just a shadow..

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This is a dumb twist.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Serious Frolicking posted:

This is a dumb twist.

It was Naraku all along!!!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Serious Frolicking posted:

This is a dumb twist.

Yeah, this reeks of 'didn't know how to keep the plot going' rear end pull. It simply doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah, this reeks of 'didn't know how to keep the plot going' rear end pull. It simply doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons.

Well, it's not like the plot was anything close to good in the first place. Maybe this asspull will help it in the long run. Now that somehow the forces are more or less equal, we won't need some sappy poo poo to deal with the otherwise invincible Saiga (since the elder won't be allowed into the final fight).

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
He's probably still the leader of the killing fists but the new guy is leader of the armed division that wants a world embroiled in war to practice in.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I doesn't contradict anything we have been shown so far technically. The ninja village split in half over Saiga and Shizuha relationship and fought crazy death battles to determine the future of the ninja village. I'm guessing this was the basis of Yami (or at least modern Yami).

We never really saw Saiga kill Shizuha except in a Miu memory I think. The elder got there right after and found Miu so really the only person who knows is Saiga and/or this new guy Senzui. I'm guessing the new guy is Shizuha's brother and is in fact the one who actually killed Shizuha.

Seems like maybe Saiga and Senzui co-ran Yami but then that doesn't really explain why Saiga waited this long to get revenge and what not. If Saiga was never part of Yami then who was the second master of eye patch? There are a lot of questions but nothing was necessarily a contradiction.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I don't think there's a blatant contradiction, just a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense now. Like, what was the point of that guy pretending to be Saiga at all? Why did Saiga never make contact with anyone on the 'good' side after the incident?

I mean, whatever, sure, it's a thing now. I just think it's pretty clear that this was not what the author planned back when those earlier events originally happened and a lot of things don't make much sense because of it.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

I don't think there's a blatant contradiction, just a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense now. Like, what was the point of that guy pretending to be Saiga at all? Why did Saiga never make contact with anyone on the 'good' side after the incident?

I mean, whatever, sure, it's a thing now. I just think it's pretty clear that this was not what the author planned back when those earlier events originally happened and a lot of things don't make much sense because of it.

Agreed, I'll hold off on judging for a few more chapters though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SirDan3k posted:

He's probably still the leader of the killing fists but the new guy is leader of the armed division that wants a world embroiled in war to practice in.
Isn't the guy who was keeping grandpa busy on the island the leader of the armed division?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Sindai posted:

Isn't the guy who was keeping grandpa busy on the island the leader of the armed division?

I forget. Basically I think the new guy has only started impersonating Saiga recently to start a war and Saiga is still the real leader of the killing fists. It's why the unarmed Yami division turned on the armed division so quick.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Sindai posted:

He's the leader of the Hachio executioner blade group but I don't think it was ever said that he leads yami's armed division. Then again, it would make sense for him to since he is so strong.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah, it is just a silly retcon. Maybe his editors asked for it or whatever. But at least we now have a "final" boss so the series can be put to rest relatively soon. (And no, Saiga was never going to be the final boss -from a fighting perspective- since he is at a different level and, until now, he didn't have an established rival).

So in the end we get tits vs mustache, cool dude vs karate, the Chinese brothers, muay thai fest, and Shigure running around naked.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just wish this thing focused way more on Cool Dudes Karate, Chinese Bros, and Muy Thai Awesome and way, way, less on tits.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I really wish that the manga actually focused on Kenichi.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Elfgames posted:

I really wish that the manga actually focused on Kenichi.

They kind of ramped up the story so hard that he got left behind, I was enjoying things much more when the general tone was "Kenichi and the other children flail around in the kiddy pool while the masters watch, amused".

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So now the main villain is a boring shounen we know nothing about.

Great.

RabidWeasel posted:

They kind of ramped up the story so hard that he got left behind, I was enjoying things much more when the general tone was "Kenichi and the other children flail around in the kiddy pool while the masters watch, amused".

The problem is the story hasn't gone the way it should, and instead of closing the gap between disciples and masters it's constantly increasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nilbop posted:

The problem is the story hasn't gone the way it should, and instead of closing the gap between disciples and masters it's constantly increasing.

Just you wait, someday Miu (who is clearly the most advanced disciple) will be able to bend her torso&spine 180 degrees while her tits point to completely different locations, just like ninja lady does!.

• Locked thread